Steam Top 10 Part 2

With no accompanying explanation Steam has released a top 10 list that's different from yesterday's top 10. Today's list also only contains ten entries:

1. Borderlands.
  2. Left 4 Dead 2.
  3. Torchlight.
  4. Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition.
  5. Football Manager 2010.
  6. Killing Floor.
  7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
  8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
  9. Dragon Age: Origins on Steam.
  10. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Update: Spoke too soon, as the 11th and 12th entries trickled out later. They now list Team Fortress 2 also for #9 and Aion Standard Edition at #10. Update 2: They've now added The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut at #7. Maybe they're just messing with us.

View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2
Nov 4, 2009, 01:39
Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 4, 2009, 01:39
Nov 4, 2009, 01:39

Something I should note, I had said the Achievements weren't in the PC version...I had noticed that I had been getting "Challenge Completed" messages, so i went looking through the UI.

In the Logs screen, if you click on the Medals icon, this displays the "Challenges".

Nov 3, 2009, 12:13
Verno

Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 3, 2009, 12:13
Nov 3, 2009, 12:13
 Verno

I appreciate the thought, but Dragon Age will unlock in ~ 3 hours. My gaming time until Xmas is pretty much booked now.

You could easily spend a few hundred hours with Dragon Age alone from what I hear.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Re: Borderlands
Nov 3, 2009, 10:07
Re: Borderlands Nov 3, 2009, 10:07
Nov 3, 2009, 10:07

Give it a shot. I hate gearbox, and have been vocal about it on these very forums. Randy Pitchford annoys the piss out of me. I WANT Borderlands to suck.

I appreciate the thought, but Dragon Age will unlock in ~ 3 hours. My gaming time until Xmas is pretty much booked now.

- Dragon Age
- GTA4 Episodes from Liberty City
- Torchlight.

Creston

Nov 3, 2009, 09:45
Verno

Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 3, 2009, 09:45
Nov 3, 2009, 09:45
 Verno

It's been years since I've had to manually edit firewall settings and .ini files just to make a game work - but honestly, it's been quite awhile since I've played something fun enough to make me bother.

Well said.

Nov 3, 2009, 09:41
Re: Borderlands Nov 3, 2009, 09:41
Nov 3, 2009, 09:41

Yeah, I can't disagree with a single criticism of Borderlands - or with any of the vitriol thrown at Gearbox and Pitchford for their boldfaced lies about the PC-oriented design.

That said, I love this damn game, warts and all. It breaks my heart to think of what it might have been, had they really given the PC the attention it deserved.

It's been years since I've had to manually edit firewall settings and .ini files just to make a game work - but honestly, it's been quite awhile since I've played something fun enough to make me bother.

That's the only thing those lying bastards got right - the fun. Damn them. I'd recommend anyone at all interested wait for the first patch (the first REAL patch, not the little fixes they've tossed out without much fanfare) and hope that the PC gets some love - if it does, well...it's fun.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Nov 3, 2009, 09:27
Re: Borderlands Nov 3, 2009, 09:27
Nov 3, 2009, 09:27

Creston,

That's your loss! Borderlands, for all its' bad press, is an exceptional title. The game has addictive gameplay and interesting quests, a light but involving storyline, and fun (when it works) multiplayer. I picked this up on recommendation from a friend and have been hooked in a bad way ever since. I've beaten it twice, and it's still a blast to play.

Multiplayer is best when you pick up and play with a friend from the get-go, starting from scratch together. If one of you is too much higher than the other, the lower level player will be force-fed levels and will miss out on the challenge of the game. That's my beef. I played single player to 50 as a siren, and went to play online with a few buddies. It was fun, but we decided to start fresh and play together from the start, and that was fucking incredible!

Give it a shot. I hate gearbox, and have been vocal about it on these very forums. Randy Pitchford annoys the piss out of me. I WANT Borderlands to suck.

Despite my desire to hate on Gearbox and Pitchford, the game doesn't suck and I'd be lying through my teeth to claim that here.
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Nov 3, 2009, 08:25
Verno

Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 3, 2009, 08:25
Nov 3, 2009, 08:25
 Verno

I posted this in yesterdays Top 10, but doubt anyone will read it now that this has been updated...

All of that list is true Dagok but amusingly enough the game itself is so great that I just keep playing despite the flaws and bugs.

Steam is utter excrement when it comes to customer service. They do, however, have the most games. You live with it or you stop giving them your money. Simple enough. If you want customer service, Impulse is 100% fantastic. I've never sent them an email that they didn't answer politely and to the point within 24 hours.

You can't even email Steam at all, lol. You have to use their horrible ticket system which they seem to operate on a coin flip basis. Heads you maybe get an answer thats helpful, tails you get no answer at all. The logical solution is to spinoff Steam into its own private company with it's own staff and whatnot instead of this strange shared relationship it has with Valve.

Nov 3, 2009, 01:38
Re: Borderlands Nov 3, 2009, 01:38
Nov 3, 2009, 01:38

I know they're the big man on campus but that doesn't mean proper customer service or even responding to these questions on their forums is not necessary.

Why not? They have had shitty customer service since day one, and people GLADLY hand them their money. Why would they ever strive to get better? Better service costs more money, which is less profit in Gabe's pockets.

Steam is utter excrement when it comes to customer service. They do, however, have the most games. You live with it or you stop giving them your money. Simple enough. If you want customer service, Impulse is 100% fantastic. I've never sent them an email that they didn't answer politely and to the point within 24 hours.

Krov,

Great list about Borderlands. Looks like Pitchford was lying again. Whodathunkit?

/VERY glad he stayed away from Borderlands.

Creston

Nov 2, 2009, 19:26
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 19:26
Nov 2, 2009, 19:26

So with Borderlands Torchlight..

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 19:26.

Nov 2, 2009, 19:17
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 19:17
Nov 2, 2009, 19:17

So with Borderlands.. pick up a purple item and just enchant the hell out of it eh?
I've been running my Alchemist and the girl.. with mostly gold items.. which seem to be fine.
I will try the multiple enchant thing out tonight.

Nov 2, 2009, 18:49
Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 2, 2009, 18:49
Nov 2, 2009, 18:49

I posted this in yesterdays Top 10, but doubt anyone will read it now that this has been updated...

That's quite a discouraging list you wrote, though I guess the good news is that most of it can be improved through patching.

No matter what a game developer anyone does or does not do, someone...somewhere...will whine about it.

The less pretentious and condescending version of this has always been "You can't please everyone all the time."

No matter what somebody... anyone says while discussing games in a games forum even and no doubt... somebody will call it whining. So what do we call it when people are whining about others posting comments about games that aren't really whining but somehow several posters will always make the stretch to consider any comment whining?

Good question. I vote for "trolling".

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 18:52.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Nov 2, 2009, 18:15
Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 2, 2009, 18:15
Nov 2, 2009, 18:15

No matter what somebody... anyone says while discussing games in a games forum even and no doubt... somebody will call it whining. So what do we call it when people are whining about others posting comments about games that aren't really whining but somehow several posters will always make the stretch to consider any comment whining?

Isn't that whining about whining that isn't whining? Strange little cycle some people seem to get caught up in. Maybe Sargos gave his whole get outside enjoy life advise to the wrong person? If you people don't like discussions concerning games why are you visiting these forums to begin with?

Nov 2, 2009, 17:52
Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 2, 2009, 17:52
Nov 2, 2009, 17:52

No matter what a game developer anyone does or does not do, someone...somewhere...will whine about it.

Nov 2, 2009, 17:48
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 17:48
Nov 2, 2009, 17:48

"You would ignore the huge advantages Steam has over EA and D2D just because they might release it a few minutes late?"

I don't think you have read or paid attention to all the info. Steam's release will be two hours later (noon) at the earliest. And we all know their noon release is nothing concrete. Big... huge difference when you're trying to say "minutes". Besides I'm fed up with their total lack of info when it comes to highly anticipated releases. I know they're the big man on campus but that doesn't mean proper customer service or even responding to these questions on their forums is not necessary.

"I think you need to put the keyboard down now and step outside. The place beyond the doorway. Your future depends on it."

So now you know me? From one little post? Are you The Amazing Kreskin? LoL, Come on down we'll go for a stroll along the bike path. I'll see if you can keep up with me while we jog eight or ten miles.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 18:17.

Nov 2, 2009, 17:16
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 17:16
Nov 2, 2009, 17:16

I'm curious where Blue gets this list from as their Weekly Top Ten RSS does not have 'ties', just a top 10.

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

From this RSS, Team Fortress 2 is not listed. Team Fortress 2 is not on the dynamic Top 10 tab, but I think it was this morning.

The "Top 10" tab on the Steam Store page is not a "weekly top 10" and is dynamic, not entirely sure how often its updated, but several times a day at least.

So maybe Blue is combining these lists not realizing the Top 10 tab is not weekly?

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 17:21.

Nov 2, 2009, 17:10
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 17:10
Nov 2, 2009, 17:10

Update: Spoke too soon, as the 11th and 12th entries trickled out later. They now list Team Fortress 2 also for #9 and Aion Standard Edition at #10. Update 2: They've now added The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut at #7. Maybe they're just messing with us.

Maybe these lists are just some kind of big experiment. They're probably trying to figure out why we care about a list like this when it has no context or real value. Maybe they're just trying various changes to see how people react to them. Does anyone really believe that there are 2 or 3 positions that are legitimate ties? Why limit the list to 10 and then extend it to 12? Maybe they want to see exactly how arbitrary they can be and still have anyone pay any attention.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Nov 2, 2009, 17:01
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 17:01
Nov 2, 2009, 17:01

Seems pretty accurate to me. I don't feel like I'm missing much since I don't have much interest in multiplayer, but the game could have used a few more months of finishing and polish. As it stands now it would probably take months of patching to fix most of the issues, but in reality that's not likely to happen.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Nov 2, 2009, 16:50
Re: Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 16:50
Nov 2, 2009, 16:50

Their claims that special attention was made to the PC version and that it was their lead platform, is absolute and complete bullshit lies.

Sorry to hear... But I'm not surprised. Thanks for the report!
Perpetual debt is slavery.

Borderlands
Nov 2, 2009, 16:27
Borderlands Nov 2, 2009, 16:27
Nov 2, 2009, 16:27

------------------------

Friends had been able to connect to my games without issue since release, and even earlier in the day on Sunday, yet last night nobody could connect and I couldnt connect to anyone else. So not sure if Gamespy was having issues.

It just seems that Gearbox, whenever faced with a design decision took the easy way out in almost every case.

You can't msg friends on your list to see if they want to coop, so that means using another program (ie: Steam) to communicate and hook up with people. Which if they are using the retail and arent using a 3rd party shotcut through Steam they may not see the msgs if they are in-game anyways.

You can't "Join game in progress" (on Friends list) that prompts the host to accept the join.

Free-for-all looting and lack of proper trading is another example.

Host controls the quests, so as has been repeatedly complained about, if the host is too far ahead the other people can be screwed on their quest progress. We were able to do the Mine Key quest for someone simply because we already knew where to go, and luckily he was still able to loot the key, even though we werent officially doing that quest.

The loot messages only last a few seconds and from what I can tell you can't view the stats on that loot item anywhere. Furthermore, unless I'm missing something, to duel someone, they have to melee you back to accept...so at no time are they obligated to accept the challenge for the loot...and who's to say they'd give it to you anyways, as they doesnt seem to be a system to force trade it.

No achievement system for PC users. It would have been very easy for them to just track them in-game for your own personal reference. But alas, they took the easy way out and just didn't include them at all.

I could make a laundry list of menu screens that have broken mouse-wheel functionality, where Pgup/pgdown works on some screens but not others, no mouse cursor on the Friends screen, etc, etc.

I see they finally put up a manual on Steam, a) covers are placeholder text. b) It's the fucking 360 manual!

Their claims that special attention was made to the PC version and that it was their lead platform, is absolute and complete bullshit lies.

Edit: Something else I thought of, the first 3 NPC's at the beginning of the gmae are well done and have character. After that they seems to be rather generic, just stand there (leaning against a wall) with nothing to define them as an actual character, other than a different name and quests they give.

Nov 2, 2009, 15:29
Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 2, 2009, 15:29
Nov 2, 2009, 15:29

"Eh, by which timezone though? Cause if you go by Valve time, people in Europe are gonna be pissed."

People in Europe are always pissed because they get stuff late, censored, overpriced or simply not at all.

Edit: buy Torchlight! It totally reminds me of Diablo I (OK it's from the folks who made it) = one of the funnest hack'n'slash titles ever released.
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older