Mass Effect 2 in January; Pre-order Bonus Details

BioWare announces Mass Effect 2 will be released in North America on January 26 and in Europe on January 29, once again referring to the RPG sequel as part of a trilogy, though Dr. Greg Zeschuk has indicated it could go beyond that. The announcement also mentions pre-order incentives for North America and Europe, outlining specifics about North American bonuses, and offers a screenshot of the Terminus Armor:
In North America, pre-order bonuses* include special-ops armor and weaponry that are designed to boost Commander Shepard’s skills and abilities. At GameStop, Terminus Gear is available with pre-orders, which includes the powerful Terminus Assault Armor and the M-490 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon:

• The Terminus Armor is designed for use in extreme planetary conditions, increasing run speed and personal shields, and augmenting weapons with an additional magazine of reserve ammo.

• The M-90 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon generates a high-powered localized gravity well, accelerating particles to near-infinite mass, and ultimately expanding the selection of heavy weapons available to players when they gear up for combat missions in Mass Effect 2.

Players that pre-order Mass Effect 2 at other retail outlets in North America will receive the potent Inferno Armor, which is used by officers to monitor battlefield conditions by recognizing elevated heart rates, and regulates sub-systems with extreme efficiency to allow for greater response times – together these abilities translate in-game into a negotiation bonus for Commander Shepard and an increase in run speed and augmented damage from combat powers.
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: ME2 in January
Oct 17, 2009, 16:15
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 16:15
Oct 17, 2009, 16:15

Just curious how it's considered "pretty huge" with next to no information available about it. Almost looks like a failtitle with nothing in-game as of yet

What?? You really need to stop huffing detergent in the mornings buddy. There have been literally HUNDREDS of trailers and previews and "The New Shit" (as nin calls it) of Dragon Age in the past two months.

If you watched all the videos and read all the previews, you've probably seen 75 of the 80 hours of gameplay footage already.

Seriously, I have no problem with you hating EA, but saying Dragon Age is an empty title is just fucking ludicrous.

Creston

Oct 17, 2009, 14:11
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 14:11
Oct 17, 2009, 14:11

I guess I've been busying myself with ME2, AC2, TF2, MW2, and others, so one little RPG slipped by my notice. Who cares? Not impressed by what I've seen, so maybe that's why I discounted it.

Point is, the hype machine and news frequency of the game, as well as marketing, have been so astronomical in size there is no way you could have missed it if you checked any of those sites in the last year.

Also, Shift does use SecuROM, btw.

I didn't know we were arguing semantics... fine, I will spell it out: it does not use the activation model SecuROM which made everyone pissed off and angry.

It has a disc check, like every other game ever, whoopty-doo.

Oct 17, 2009, 13:27
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 13:27
Oct 17, 2009, 13:27

I don't really care much about RTS games, but that doesn't mean Command & Conquer 4 is completely off my radar... I check Blues, I check Kotaku, I check IGN... these sites put up what we call "news items" about upcoming games. You might want to check them out.

They also removed SecuROM from Need for Speed Shift, FYI.

I guess I've been busying myself with ME2, AC2, TF2, MW2, and others, so one little RPG slipped by my notice. Who cares? Not impressed by what I've seen, so maybe that's why I discounted it.

Also, Shift does use SecuROM, btw.

Also, this.

Oct 17, 2009, 11:51
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 11:51
Oct 17, 2009, 11:51

Because, honestly, I haven't been keeping up with it. You'd think if this game was so hotly anticipated, as you suggest, then the website wouldn't leave so much to be desired. It really looks rather bland, and that's a shame, considering it's BioWare.

But then, maybe that's just the nature of RPGs. :\

I don't really care much about RTS games, but that doesn't mean Command & Conquer 4 is completely off my radar... I check Blues, I check Kotaku, I check IGN... these sites put up what we call "news items" about upcoming games. You might want to check them out.

They also removed SecuROM from Need for Speed Shift, FYI.

Oct 17, 2009, 06:49
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 06:49
Oct 17, 2009, 06:49

Ah, true .. i didn't really follow MW1 and MW2 pre-order stuff .. that'd be ultra lame indeed to give gameplay advantage to pre-orderers in a MP game

Oct 17, 2009, 05:43
Prez

Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 05:43
Oct 17, 2009, 05:43
 Prez

Screw the BS preorder bonuses. When this game comes out, and all of the kinks are worked out, I'm buying it. Not before. I found the first one to be one of the best games I've played in years, console port or not.

And before you ask, YES, I've played just about every RPG since Ultima.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 17, 2009, 04:45
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 04:45
Oct 17, 2009, 04:45

I didn't say it was hotly anticipated, I said there's been a crapload of marketing. If you keep up with gaming news at all, I really don't see how you could have missed it.

Oct 17, 2009, 03:48
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 03:48
Oct 17, 2009, 03:48

Because, honestly, I haven't been keeping up with it. You'd think if this game was so hotly anticipated, as you suggest, then the website wouldn't leave so much to be desired. It really looks rather bland, and that's a shame, considering it's BioWare.

But then, maybe that's just the nature of RPGs. :\

Oct 17, 2009, 01:53
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 01:53
Oct 17, 2009, 01:53

Just curious how it's considered "pretty huge" with next to no information available about it. Almost looks like a failtitle with nothing in-game as of yet, and it's due in a couple months.

Seriously? There has been a ridiculous amount of in-game footage and screenshots released DA. I find it amazing that you somehow missed all of that and only saw the CGI teaser released recently.

Oct 17, 2009, 01:10
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 01:10
Oct 17, 2009, 01:10

To be fair, they did do that. Not out of the kindness of their hearts, but because it was probably hurting their bottom line.

They took it out of Sims 3 and it's not in Dragon Age, that's two pretty huge titles.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Have seen next to NOTHING other than some high-budget CGI animation for Dragon Age, and Sims I don't give two fucks about.

Is Dragon Age a sequel or something? I'm not really into RPGs, so I dunno... Just curious how it's considered "pretty huge" with next to no information available about it. Almost looks like a failtitle with nothing in-game as of yet, and it's due in a couple months. I would entirely discount it as overrated CGI PR if it wasn't done by BioWare.

Oct 17, 2009, 00:41
Re: ME2 in January Oct 17, 2009, 00:41
Oct 17, 2009, 00:41

Maybe I've missed it, but where did they get rid of securom?

To be fair, they did do that. Not out of the kindness of their hearts, but because it was probably hurting their bottom line.

They took it out of Sims 3 and it's not in Dragon Age, that's two pretty huge titles.

Creston

Oct 16, 2009, 23:59
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 23:59
Oct 16, 2009, 23:59

Your rampant EA hate is cute and all, but they are hardly the only company that does that

I never meant to suggest that they were the only company doing this. It's not just hate for EA, it's hate for the practice, and the disregard for their customers.

EA has turned around a lot lately... new IP, quality PC versions, got rid of SecuROM, investing in PC development and ports more than a lot of other companies.

Maybe I've missed it, but where did they get rid of securom?

And, really, being dangerously close to a monopoly, since they've bought up countless others and they buy their way into publishing deals, of course they do more ports, because they simply have more IPs under their umbrella. Obviously, if they had more, and better, competition, we'd see more things published under names other than EA. They pretty much have to invest in more PC development with the amount of brands under their control. That's really not a very good argument for declaring that EA isn't the Evil Entity (tm) that we know them to be.

Oct 16, 2009, 20:03
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 20:03
Oct 16, 2009, 20:03

EA is the only company that drives these pre-order shenanigans into the absurd though

Activision offered a special, powerful weapon for multiplayer with CoD5... the ads even said "get a leg up on the competition." I would say that is the most heinous.

As for DLC prices, they are on target with others... as for other regions, none of that effect me, sorry.

Oct 16, 2009, 19:03
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 19:03
Oct 16, 2009, 19:03

EA is the only company that drives these pre-order shenanigans into the absurd though - And EA is also the main pusher of regional locking in Europe (for whatever reason or outside influences). Yes they got rid of securom, and ask for the 7$ DLC 30€ extra in Germany. No .. EA is not turned around, they are still the despicable consumer hostile entity they always were. They just know how to hide it better.

And 0-Day DLC pretty much sums up what EA thinks about gamers. I'd rather take episodic gaming than 0-day DLC becoming the norm. (With that i mean Pre-Order DLC that you can not buy otherwise in a pack) - As well as the Wardens Keep DLC, which in 10 years ago would have been included in a patch for free. But i guess the times changed Talking abut Dragon Age.. geez i posted actually in the wrong topic ;p

Edit: Or if not in a Patch, then the CE should have it included as extra

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2009, 19:17.

Oct 16, 2009, 18:20
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 18:20
Oct 16, 2009, 18:20

I'm not promoting piracy; I'm condemning (everything that) EA (does).

Your rampant EA hate is cute and all, but they are hardly the only company that does that, I would say Activision is actually much worse, and pretty much every publisher has done a preorder bonus somewhere.

EA has turned around a lot lately... new IP, quality PC versions, got rid of SecuROM, investing in PC development and ports more than a lot of other companies. It's a shame you can't see that.

Oct 16, 2009, 18:00
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 18:00
Oct 16, 2009, 18:00

The developers usually get paid as the game is developed. Some might have deals for gross points on revenues maybe. Encouraging piracy is never a good idea and your idea is more likely to just get you banned from your local retail stores. Turn over rate of employees isnt high enough for you to escape notice and I'm sure half of the Gamestops in the world will probably try to prevent all PC game returns even if they are unopened.

"The customer is always right."

At any other outlet for any other product, if you're not completely satisfied, you return it for a full refund. You talk to a manager if the pimple-faced check-out boy has a problem with it.

It's really none of their business, but "my son already got this from his grandmother for Christmas."

I'm not promoting piracy; I'm condemning (everything that) EA (does). I also wasn't suggesting multiple purchases and returns as your post seems to indicate. I think a tremendous game such as this deserves to get the developers their due recognition, but the filthy, underhanded tactics continually employed by the dickheads at EA are an entirely unacceptable means of doing so.

As someone else mentioned here, we need special interest groups or something to help keep the peace in this industry and employ sanctions and other punishments to keep shitty organizations, such as EA, honest.

There has to be a way to fight back against this sort of thing, because it happens all the fucking time. Simply not buying a game is not an effective option, as all that does is make them say "oh, okay, I guess this isn't the sort of thing people want to buy, so we'll just stop making games like this." They need to see that it isn't the games themselves that people are unwilling to buy.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2009, 18:01.

Oct 16, 2009, 17:33
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 17:33
Oct 16, 2009, 17:33

The developers usually get paid as the game is developed. Some might have deals for gross points on revenues maybe. Encouraging piracy is never a good idea and your idea is more likely to just get you banned from your local retail stores. Turn over rate of employees isnt high enough for you to escape notice and I'm sure half of the Gamestops in the world will probably try to prevent all PC game returns even if they are unopened.

Oct 16, 2009, 16:53
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 16:53
Oct 16, 2009, 16:53

So, what you do in a situation like this is:

Step 1: Go to your local Gamestop, and pick up a pre-order (or order online) to get the armor and weapon.

Step 2: Pre-order from somewhere else as well to get the other armor.

Step 3: Pirate the game, install it, use all your "unique" items.

Step 4: Return both purchased games, still unopened for a full refund.

Step 5: Post this brilliant idea all over the internet and watch this trend (and EA, hopefully) die out.

Step 6: ???

Step 7: Profit.

The only problem with this method is that the developers don't get paid because of your hatred for EA and their scheming. Perhaps there can be a way to send your money directly to them, skipping EA, and thus, a lot of "fluff" they'd claim went toward packaging (yeah right!). This means you could pay, say, $20 or so direct to the developer, and say "fuck you!" to EA. >:[

Oct 16, 2009, 16:26
Re: ME2 in January Oct 16, 2009, 16:26
Oct 16, 2009, 16:26

I don't know, maybe my standards are a bit lower than yours but I thought Left 4 Dead looked great with all of the eye candy turned up. I certainly appreciate the Valve approach to making games accessible to those without the latest whizbang $400 videocard just to have an acceptable framerate.

Re: Mass Effect 2 in January; Pre-order Bonus Details
Oct 16, 2009, 16:18
Re: Mass Effect 2 in January; Pre-order Bonus Details Oct 16, 2009, 16:18
Oct 16, 2009, 16:18

Also, I disagree with their insistence that Source can be used indefinately. Left 4 Dead looks pretty old.

I'd say that was its breaking point.
It didn't show its age until then.
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older