Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans

A post to the Codemasters Forum notes reports of online connectivity issues for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising players on all platforms. Word is: "Early analysis this morning (UK time) suggests that the situation is improving and we are now seeing considerably less dropouts. Working closely with our partners has enabled us to identify some of the root causes and we continue to work to address and fix them." They also note that a PC patch is in development as they monitor this PC bugs/game issues thread, and an Xbox360 & PS3 game update is in development (and there is a console bugs/game issues thread for that).
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans
Oct 15, 2009, 19:18
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 15, 2009, 19:18
Oct 15, 2009, 19:18

The editor looks nice, it seems to be somewhat similar in design to BIS's. It's an external app. Which also means there's none of the instant design --> instant play, as with OFP\ArmA's built in editor. Dragon Rising needs to load each time you want to play the mission.

The big problem is the game doesn't allow more than 63 entities at any one time..

Placing 4 groups of twelve men, two vehicles and a couple of objects and you've reached that limit. Very uhh..limiting.

Dragon Rising's limited editor\currently encrypted game files is partly why ArmA fans are sour on Codemaster's attempt. They don't just see the "Operation Flashpoint" brand as a campaign, they see it as a sandbox military game that's extremely open to all kinds of modding and easy creation of missions.

In ArmA I can edit missions directly on the server while other players are connected, the minute I preview everybody is instantly taken to the lobby. I've never even bothered with ArmA 2's campaign..and I don't much want to.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 19:44.

Oct 15, 2009, 06:38
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 15, 2009, 06:38
Oct 15, 2009, 06:38

When I played the original, I don't remember spending a whole lot of time in the SP campaign. I finished it, but the lion's share of my time was spent playing around in the fantastic mission editor ( I can't code my way out of a paper bag, but this editor allowed me to set up awesome firefights in about 3 minutes) and playing missions I downloaded off the net. So, the very big question to me is, how is the editor? Is it as powerful, versatile, and straightforward as the original's?

Do the console versions even have an editor and/or a means to download fan-made content? If not, it's a mystery to me why this was released on console at all.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 15, 2009, 01:36
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 15, 2009, 01:36
Oct 15, 2009, 01:36

Oct 14, 2009, 23:08
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 23:08
Oct 14, 2009, 23:08

The game is woefully short. I've only played maybe 5 hours and I'm almost on mission 10 of 11. I've also completed all 5 bonus missions, each take about 15 minutes.

There's actually at least 6 bonus missions; look around on the net and I'm sure you'll find the one you're missing. I unlocked them all on my brother's PS3 when I was visiting him this past weekend.

I must be a horrible player because I've already put 10 hours into the game and I'm just now starting mission 6; mission 2 took me 2 or 3 tries, and mission 5 took me a while, too, because I got myself into a bad situation trying to extract the helicopter crew without having cleared enough of the opfor out before the checkpoint...had to redo the mission and do things differently. I agree that the total content does seem lacking (I realize I'm just slow at getting through it), but I'm willing to hear what DLC they're offering, and will probably pick it up if it's at a fair price.

I bought Arma back not too long after it came out (before it came to retail in the US), but I couldn't get into it and the performance was horrible. A couple of years later after I got a new machine I tried to revisit it, and found I couldn't get it to run in Vista unless I reduced the amount of RAM in my system (it had issues with 4gb 32-bit systems), and I just found that totally unacceptable. Apparently it had been an issue for months and there was no discussion from Bohemia that it would be fixed any time soon. I avoided the freight train wreck that was Arma2 as a result, and from what I've read I'm pretty happy with that decision. I think a more "consolized" milsim is up my alley anyway; plus it'll give me something to play with my brother who only games on consoles. I picked up a PC version for the singleplayer experience and for use of the mission editor (and because I prefer KB+mouse), and I'll probably pick up a PS3 copy sometime for the multiplayer component to play with my brother.

Oct 14, 2009, 22:16
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 22:16
Oct 14, 2009, 22:16

This game was an experiment to see how many people would be suckered into buying it by the early fabricated promo vids and the early paid-for 80% to 90% reviews.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 22:16.
Perpetual debt is slavery.

Oct 14, 2009, 20:13
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 20:13
Oct 14, 2009, 20:13

Hey??! Are you dissing the MOST realistic milcombat experience out there?

LOL I totally agree. Codies can make whatever game they want, but it blows how they used the good Flashpoint name to flog this game. If their game is a different game, and say by golly it couldn`t BE any more different from Flashpoint (complete opposite really), then it is only right their game deserves a different name.

Imagine how many peeps sucked in thinking their were getting something like Flashpoint.

Oct 14, 2009, 18:59
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 18:59
Oct 14, 2009, 18:59

I think they really should have changed the name of the game, it shares so little in common with the original OP (and even knowing this before I bought it) makes it even worse, when you jump into a vehicle and cant even look left/right. The missions feel 'bare bones' too and having so few its a rip..

Oct 14, 2009, 18:44
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 18:44
Oct 14, 2009, 18:44

The game is woefully short. I've only played maybe 5 hours and I'm almost on mission 10 of 11. I've also completed all 5 bonus missions, each take about 15 minutes.

It's really as if the missions were a complete afterthought. No story, no planning, missions are incredibly linear... oh yeah, and bugs, I have already written about 4 pages worth on their forum. As yet no one from Codemasters has replied to say what bugs they are working on, or even to give a master list of bugs they are aware of. Reporting bugs to them feels like a complete waste of time.

But aside from that the game does have a certain something that could make it into a great game if they patch all the hundreds of bugs, keep adding missions with more dialogue, story, impact and suspense. It'll be interesting to see user-made missions.

Oct 14, 2009, 16:53
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 16:53
Oct 14, 2009, 16:53

That should be a bug. $40 for 6-8 hours of gameplay, and ruined multiplayer is a bit of a rip off

What scares me even more is the comment regarding Modern Warfare 2 being shorter than the first one, $60 for a 4-5 hour game?

Oct 14, 2009, 16:19
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 16:19
Oct 14, 2009, 16:19

That should be a bug. $40 for 6-8 hours of gameplay, and ruined multiplayer is a bit of a rip off.

Oct 14, 2009, 15:58
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 15:58
Oct 14, 2009, 15:58

I haven't tried it online yet, but the only bug I noticed was one where occasionally killing an enemy would leave his weapon stuck in the nearest wall at about head height.

The game is way too short, though that's not really a bug...

Oct 14, 2009, 14:54
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 14:54
Oct 14, 2009, 14:54

I regret buying it too shoulda got Forza 3

Oct 14, 2009, 14:02
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 14:02
Oct 14, 2009, 14:02

This game is fucked, there is no dedicated servers cos you have to hold a server with your own bandwidth just like Grid. What a bag of shit. Im so grateful that i didnt buy it.

Oct 14, 2009, 13:05
Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Patch Plans Oct 14, 2009, 13:05
Oct 14, 2009, 13:05

Where's the demo?! I also want the promised wolfenstein demo and the chronicles of riddick dark athena demo!

I'm watching you, game developers.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older