MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors

MarketWatch has a denial from Microsoft of yesterday's rumors that the Redmond computing giant is planning a takeover of Electronic Arts (thanks MCV). It's quite straightforward, as they quote an MS spokesperson saying: "We have no plans to acquire EA."
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors
Sep 26, 2009, 02:58
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 26, 2009, 02:58
Sep 26, 2009, 02:58

I bash it because it's a horribly boring and repetitive piece of crap.

Hold on a minute. Don't you consistently attack me for stating my opinions as absolute facts? Now, I completely agree with you that MMOs are inherently crappy but I sense some degree of hypocrisy here...

Sep 25, 2009, 19:58
Kxmode

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 19:58
Sep 25, 2009, 19:58
 Kxmode

I bash it because it's a horribly boring and repetitive piece of crap.

Your opinion isn't shared by 11.5 million.

I find the genre painful, but I'll never deny that Blizzard makes it tempting.

You hate MMOs so why would you waste your time making comments about them? I absolutely hate smoking but I'm not going to waste my time going to smoking related forums to tell others I HATE SMOKING and then tell them why they should too.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2009, 20:01.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 25, 2009, 15:20
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 15:20
Sep 25, 2009, 15:20

In the MMO genre WOW is the "large" thing everyone hates.

I bash it because it's a horribly boring and repetitive piece of crap. I've bashed it since I bought it and did the 14 day trial a few years back.

However, its faults are the faults of its genre. I'll openly admit that it's the crown jewel of MMORPGs for a reason. The art style is amazing in that it's expressive and instantly recognizable yet scales down to virtually any hardware, the personality oozes out through both the graphics and the writing, the locations are appropriately diverse and all look very unique, and, uh, well, the rest is all kind of MMORPG crap to me.

But very well designed crap. I find the genre painful, but I'll never deny that Blizzard makes it tempting.

Sep 25, 2009, 14:01
Kxmode

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 14:01
Sep 25, 2009, 14:01
 Kxmode

When did WoW SXUXSORS become the cool trend here?

People bash Walmart. People bash their neighbors because they own a Hummer. People bash the United States of America because they hate its superpower status. People bash corporation because they don't like "large" things. In the MMO genre WOW is the "large" thing everyone hates.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 25, 2009, 03:57
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 03:57
Sep 25, 2009, 03:57

Games for Windows as an initiative has met most of it's goals too and generally has been a good thing for the consumer.

Has it? I remember a lot more ports having support for DirectInput devices before GfW. Since GfW only requires X360 controller support, many ports don't even bother with DirectInput.

Honestly I can't even remember the last time Microsoft published a non-Flight Simulator title, so I have no idea what you're talking about here bro.

I believe they just released an Age of Empires 3 bundle.

Not according to Jerykk and others on this site. The last first party port I played was like, Fable and I don't remember there being any glaring issues with it but I'll take your word for it.

Fable was a pretty solid port. Halo, Halo 2 and Shadowrun... not so much.

Hey guys, how about we talk about GAMES for a change.

To be fair, this thread doesn't belong to a topic covering any specific game. That said, Batman is a great game and everyone should buy the PC version.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2009, 03:59.

Sep 25, 2009, 00:49
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 00:49
Sep 25, 2009, 00:49

Actually quite a few "360 exclusives" land on the PC anyways so /shrug

3rd party ones yes, MS ones... not really. Not since Gears of War, which was a horrible tragedy because it "only" sold 500,000 copies.

They've been ignoring the PC ever since... Halo 3, Fable 2, now Alan Wake... they make everything a 360 exclusive, there was even an interview with the old Games for Windows exec who said MS' stance is "we will make the tools for PC gaming, but no longer have interest in it ourselves."

This could change of course, and maybe 2 years from now when no one cares we will see Halo 3 and the rest, but... I doubt it now. MS wants to rule the livingroom with the 360 and Natal, and if they bought EA all their developers and IP would go toward that goal.

Sep 24, 2009, 19:37
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 19:37
Sep 24, 2009, 19:37

I don't really care about the rest of the stuff going on in this topic but saying World of Warcraft is an amazing game doesn't sit right with me. It's very approachable and has a lot of content but the depth and gameplay mechanics are nonexistent. Storytelling barely exists at all in the game and it plays more like a loot pinata grind MMO. Everyone has their own taste so you liking it doesn't bother me, I'm happy you're enjoying it. I think if you weigh the game outside of it's immense popularity and look at the quality alone you might sing a different tune too. It has a lot of polish but I think it's fair to call it repetitive and somewhat shallow.

One of my old guildmates said it best to me last year: the best time to give a review of WoW is after you have quit playing.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 19:39.

Sep 24, 2009, 18:14
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 18:14
Sep 24, 2009, 18:14

Verno, are you saying that wow is a shitty shallow game?

You might not like it, but the game has high production values that other games never even approach, has depth for both the hardcore EQ players of the world as well as the casual girl on the couch. Just because you don't like a particular game doesn't make it a shitty, shallow release.

When did WoW SXUXSORS become the cool trend here? You don't like it? That's cool. It's still an incredible game.

Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Sep 24, 2009, 15:34
Verno

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 15:34
Sep 24, 2009, 15:34
 Verno

Um, since they started bleating about it, perhaps? Remember how Games for Windows was going to make the PC the most awesome platform?

That's not Microsoft publishing games though, that's a framework for other companies to do so. Games for Windows as an initiative has met most of it's goals too and generally has been a good thing for the consumer. Games for Windows Live on the other hand has been a dismal failure.

Again, talking about Microsoft as a games publisher. Not to be confused with MS as an OS designer.

I'd think that if you're a publisher who touts yourself as a PC games publisher, you could at least PRETEND like you give a shit.

Honestly I can't even remember the last time Microsoft published a non-Flight Simulator title, so I have no idea what you're talking about here bro.

Do they really? Has the 360 broken even yet? Especially with the RROD fiasco?

The 360 has been profitable for quite some time now and the RROD fiasco was a writedown. Xbox Live is a money making machine to be honest, it's a very successful platform. In terms of licensing costs and whatever else I have no idea, I don't work at MS and their financial statements don't drill down that specific.

True, after a year or more, and then they're horribly shitty ports. No studio that Microsoft turned into one of their Xbox monkeys has released a decent PC port, at least AFAICR.

Not according to Jerykk and others on this site. The last first party port I played was like, Fable and I don't remember there being any glaring issues with it but I'll take your word for it.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Sep 24, 2009, 15:25
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 15:25
Sep 24, 2009, 15:25

Since when was it their duty to support PC gaming though?

Um, since they started bleating about it, perhaps? Remember how Games for Windows was going to make the PC the most awesome platform?

If you're saying "spare me the Windows and DirectX stuff" then they don't have a real reason to support PC gaming otherwise.

Again, talking about Microsoft as a games publisher. Not to be confused with MS as an OS designer.

I'd think that if you're a publisher who touts yourself as a PC games publisher, you could at least PRETEND like you give a shit.

They make a lot more money on the 360.

Do they really? Has the 360 broken even yet? Especially with the RROD fiasco?

True, after a year or more, and then they're horribly shitty ports. No studio that Microsoft turned into one of their Xbox monkeys has released a decent PC port, at least AFAICR.

Creston

Sep 24, 2009, 14:34
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 14:34
Sep 24, 2009, 14:34

Is it just me, or do the comments under every post lately deteriorate into a "PC vs console/pirating is killing PCs" flamewar? Hey guys, how about we talk about GAMES for a change.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 14:34.
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

Sep 24, 2009, 13:54
Kxmode

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:54
Sep 24, 2009, 13:54
 Kxmode

I mean, how can the Devil buy the Devil?

I quote the line from The Fifth Element, "Evil begets evil, Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger."

Sep 24, 2009, 13:52
Kxmode

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:52
Sep 24, 2009, 13:52
 Kxmode

This is much ado about nothing.

Sep 24, 2009, 13:45
Verno

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:45
Sep 24, 2009, 13:45
 Verno

Shallow games can be successful on a console, but the PC-market is a completely different audience and most publishers understand that.

Yeah except for all that whole WoW, Sims, Deer Hunter and so on. The PC is the undisputed king of shitty titles my friend, there is no comparison. You get a lot of volume in the PC market but unfortunately along with volume comes shovelware, you could literally build a mountain with the amount of shovelware titles seen on the PC.

Oblivion is an example of a reasonably deep Western RPG that did just fine on the consoles too. Some genres simply don't translate well to console control schemes (yet). RTS as an example will take awhile to transition simply because there has never been a decent control scheme for it in the past so where are all the RTS players? On a PC of course. That doesn't mean console players are some inherently dumb group who just don't "get" RTS games, Halo beer crunch on head types notwithstanding.

Either way, who cares, Microsoft is not buying EA and that's a good thing for everyone - including Microsoft.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 13:50.

Sep 24, 2009, 13:34
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:34
Sep 24, 2009, 13:34

If and when MS buys EA, that will basically be it for PC gaming, because MS will just immediately kill every EA studio, and force them to make 360 exclusive games.

Nah. The "console exclusives" have always been shallow crap that I would never bother with on a PC anyway. You make killing EA sound like a bad thing
Shallow games can be successful on a console, but the PC-market is a completely different audience and most publishers understand that.
I'm mainly a PC-gamer but I do own a 360 aswell. I find Streetfighter 4 to be alot of fun but I would never bother to buy such a game for a PC where I'm used to games with more depth...

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 13:35.

Sep 24, 2009, 13:30
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:30
Sep 24, 2009, 13:30

you've mixed this up with saying "no comment".

saying "we have no plans to acquire EA" means they have no plans to acquire EA

Sep 24, 2009, 13:18
Verno

Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:18
Sep 24, 2009, 13:18
 Verno

MS does fucking nothing for PC Gaming. (as a publisher, spare me the "DirectX HAZ SVAED PC GAMNING!"

Since when was it their duty to support PC gaming though? If you're saying "spare me the Windows and DirectX stuff" then they don't have a real reason to support PC gaming otherwise. They make a lot more money on the 360.

Not a popular opinion around but I'm just sayin. Speaking as a pc gamer for a moment, given Microsoft's previous blunders in PC gaming I wouldn't really want them involved to be honest.

because MS will just immediately kill every EA studio, and force them to make 360 exclusive games.

Personally I think Microsoft is doing a much better job with managing and publishing for the 360 than they ever did for PC gaming so I'd prefer they stay where they're effective.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 13:27.

Sep 24, 2009, 12:33
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 12:33
Sep 24, 2009, 12:33

If and when MS buys EA, that will basically be it for PC gaming, because MS will just immediately kill every EA studio, and force them to make 360 exclusive games.

I don't have any love for EA whatsoever, but they at least still make SOME decent PC games. MS does fucking nothing for PC Gaming. (as a publisher, spare me the "DirectX HAZ SVAED PC GAMNING!"

Creston

Sep 24, 2009, 11:46
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 11:46
Sep 24, 2009, 11:46

However i dont think itll happen simply because antitrust regulators would block it.

I doubt it. A lot of competition out there in game publishing and development. Certainly more than enough to keep the anti-trust people off their back. I mean I'm pretty sure this won't happen, but it won't have anything to do with antitrust problems.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 11:46.
Reticulating Splines

Sep 24, 2009, 11:38
Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 11:38
Sep 24, 2009, 11:38

Denials mean nothing in this business. Ive seen companys deny things plenty of times and then it happens a few days or weeks later.. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

However i dont think itll happen simply because antitrust regulators would block it.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 11:39.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older