MS EA Takeover Rumors

Reuters reports that Electronic Arts stock is up on the day based on rumors that Microsoft is planning a takeover bid. They hash through the possibilities with some analysts, and seem to believe it's not happening:
"There's talk that Microsoft might be interested in acquiring Electronic Arts. It's unsubstantiated chatter, but it's out there," said Frederic Ruffy, an options strategist at WhatsTrading.com in New York.

But Trip Chowdhry, an analyst at Global Equities Research, said Electronic Arts was not on Microsoft's "radar screen" based on his industry contacts.

"Our contacts just don't see Microsoft buying Electronic Arts, no synergies whatsoever, and also not Microsoft's corporate primary focus right now," Chowdhry wrote in an e-mailed note.
View : : :
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: MS to Takeover EA?
Sep 28, 2009, 07:53
Verno

Re: MS to Takeover EA? Sep 28, 2009, 07:53
Sep 28, 2009, 07:53
 Verno

Jerykk do you ever take out time from spamming the boards to play games? Just curious.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Sep 26, 2009, 22:09
Re: MS to Takeover EA? Sep 26, 2009, 22:09
Sep 26, 2009, 22:09

Complaining and venting are fine and you know it, you also know he knows it.

I know it for sure. If he knows, why does he continue to tell people to shut up?

The types of complaints, their repetitiveness and the general sense of apathy around here is what he's talking about.

In other words, complaints he doesn't agree with. That's what it's really all about. Whenever there's a debate about piracy, consoles or MS, everybody (including you and I) always repeats the same arguments over and over. If it's your opinion being repeated ad nausem, it's fine and dandy. If it's somebody else, they are obviously just whining and should get over it.

If you don't like people complaining, just don't read it. Nothing you can say will ever make them stop. If you join the complain-a-thon and tell other people to shut up, you're not only being a hypocrite but you're wasting your time.

That said, "general sense of apathy around here"? If we were apathetic, we wouldn't bother complaining about anything because we just wouldn't care.

Sep 26, 2009, 21:31
Re: MS to Takeover EA? Sep 26, 2009, 21:31
Sep 26, 2009, 21:31

We must have very different definitions of "reasonable." A reasonable man would recognize the inherent contradictions in his actions. NKD states that people shouldn't complain when it won't make a difference, yet he continues to do exactly that. He complains about the people complaining and as history has shown, that accomplishes nothing.

What would you know about reasonable? You're anything but reasonable captain absolutist. Complaining and venting are fine and you know it, you also know he knows it. He's not upset at people complaining in general, people have been complaining since the beginning of time and they will continue to do so. The types of complaints, their repetitiveness and the general sense of apathy around here is what he's talking about. That's the way I interpreted it anyways and I agree with him. People like you drag everyone else down around here, nothing but negative nancy 24/7.

Sep 26, 2009, 05:05
Re: MS to Takeover EA? Sep 26, 2009, 05:05
Sep 26, 2009, 05:05

Except that's he has been totally reasonable this whole time and his posts have been fine.

We must have very different definitions of "reasonable." A reasonable man would recognize the inherent contradictions in his actions. NKD states that people shouldn't complain when it won't make a difference, yet he continues to do exactly that. He complains about the people complaining and as history has shown, that accomplishes nothing.

The whole notion that people should only complain when it makes a difference is patently absurd. 99% of complaints do not produce results. If they did, there would be no order in this world because things would be changing every second. If people want to complain, let them. If you disagree with their complaints, feel free to explain why. However, don't tell them to shut up because their complaints aren't "productive."

Sep 25, 2009, 10:44
Re: MS to Takeover EA? Sep 25, 2009, 10:44
Sep 25, 2009, 10:44

Except that's he has been totally reasonable this whole time and his posts have been fine, even if I don't agree with him. I have never seen you post unless it's a criticism of another poster InBlack, who is the real troll?

Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors
Sep 25, 2009, 05:11
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 05:11
Sep 25, 2009, 05:11

Jerykk why the fuck are you arguing with NKD anyway. Its a waste of time. From all of his posts he has shown that he is a "follower" i.e. someone who believes in the powers that be and cant entertain ideas and notions of his own. His "belief" is derived from the legitimacy of the market and the corporations that rule it, he thinks that he is 100% right and that everyone else that doesnt follow his views is wrong, as such he is totally and wholy unable of any constructive or critical thought or argument.....

Please dont feed this very nasty troll!

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2009, 05:13.
I have a nifty blue line!

Sep 25, 2009, 01:51
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 25, 2009, 01:51
Sep 25, 2009, 01:51

If the fanboys get roasted out the ass in every thread, they might eventually decide to leave.

Hah, that'll be the day. First of all, you'd actually have to roast them. Stating blatantly obvious facts that nobody disagrees with isn't exactly the most effective way to do that. Second of all, nothing you say here will ever change anybody's mind. You say that whining about the state of the industry is fruitless and that's why people should stop. That's all well and good but your whining isn't going to change anything either. Hypocrisy 101.

Sep 24, 2009, 20:53
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 20:53
Sep 24, 2009, 20:53

Because, unlike you, I'm not telling people to stop whining. Your entire argument revolves around the notion that people should just shut up and accept the way things are because they aren't going to change. Unfortunately, you can't seem to follow your own advice.

Not so. If the fanboys get roasted out the ass in every thread, they might eventually decide to leave. That's probably wishful thinking on my part, though. Sadly we'll probably just have to wait for you to all die of old age or antisocial depression. However, whining about PC gamings downfall here is indeed completely fruitless. What can it accomplish? No one here is listening. There are no corporate execs here to listen to your pleas. You can either buy a game, or not buy it. That's the only way to communicate with a corporation, and it only works if everyone realizes it.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Sep 24, 2009, 19:58
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 19:58
Sep 24, 2009, 19:58

I think there's a new thread you missed where you can type some anarchist nonsense and give insights into your high school level philosophy understanding spacer, what are you doing in here?

aww, dont be angry mr. cool guy - its not your fault you cant apprehend any wisdom beyond the high school level

nothing is your fault

Sep 24, 2009, 13:00
Verno

Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 13:00
Sep 24, 2009, 13:00
 Verno

yes, keep patting yourselves on the back - YOU DESERVE IT!

I think there's a new thread you missed where you can type some anarchist nonsense and give insights into your high school level philosophy understanding spacer, what are you doing in here?

Bungie tech stuff

Who are we kidding man, you know that's the guy with his computer at Best Buy getting help from the Geek Squad if it was a problem on his PC? By and far you will have few if any tech related issues when gaming on consoles. Now if you want to console reliability itself then that's a different matter entirely and I would agree with you.

Sep 24, 2009, 12:46
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 12:46
Sep 24, 2009, 12:46

A console gamer knows that the vast majority of the time, they are gonna stick a game in, and it's just going to work, probably without any major gamestopping bugs.
Yep. But ever so occasionally...... A recent example: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=37231830

Wonder how MS will resolve that one for affected customers. Probably make them buy a second 360

Sep 24, 2009, 12:30
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 12:30
Sep 24, 2009, 12:30

Why are you whining about my whining about their whining when you know it isn't going to shut me up.

Because, unlike you, I'm not telling people to stop whining. Your entire argument revolves around the notion that people should just shut up and accept the way things are because they aren't going to change. Unfortunately, you can't seem to follow your own advice.

Sep 24, 2009, 12:21
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 12:21
Sep 24, 2009, 12:21

The beauty of a 'free' and capitalist society is that you are not obligated to buy anything you don't want to. Your voice is your wallet, don't like a company or publisher? Don't buy their games.

PC Gaming is far from dead, it's just going through a transition. I'd be hard-pressed to find a game on consoles more praised and played than say World of Warcraft or Counter-Strike 1.6. Granted Blizzard is a PC-first developer, you can't tell me that Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 as early PC exclusives doesn't mean anything.

The video game world is going through a lot of changes right now. If you don't believe me, take a look at the largest growing demographic of video game players, middle-aged females. Thanks to the Wii and games like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, video games have been dumbed down to the point where they're desirable to everyone in society, I'm not going to suggest it's good or bad, but merely that the industry has undergone a radical transformation lately.

The main problem is that devs are going to where the money is, and right now, the money is with casual Wii gamers and zitty guitar hero wannabes. Do you want that dumbed-down, casual aspect of video games to start taking over PC gaming? I sure as hell don't. Let's be grateful for what we do get on PC and realize that PC has always been around. Consoles come and go, but the PC is timeless.

Sep 24, 2009, 12:11
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 12:11
Sep 24, 2009, 12:11

yes, keep patting yourselves on the back - YOU DESERVE IT!

Sep 24, 2009, 11:41
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 11:41
Sep 24, 2009, 11:41

No you see, I am satan in the flesh because I don't blindly hate all corporations, I own consoles, I own a PC and holy shit I actually enjoy them all. I expect if I spit out "FUK DA CONSOLES" every few days I'd be awarded praise from half the site.

God damn those companies trying to make... p..p.. I can barely bring myself to say it.... profit!!

God forbid you try and grow your company and meet a bottom line. That is simply absurd. They should only be allowed to make enough money to cover costs and pay their employees, and MAYBE save enough money to develop their next project.

They shouldn't be allowed to have cash on hand, and they should ban the ability of companies to purchase one another! Also the government should give a bailout to struggling PC game developers.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Sep 24, 2009, 11:20
Verno

Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 11:20
Sep 24, 2009, 11:20
 Verno

No you see, I am satan in the flesh because I don't blindly hate all corporations, I own consoles, I own a PC and holy shit I actually enjoy them all. I expect if I spit out "FUK DA CONSOLES" every few days I'd be awarded praise from half the site.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 11:23.

Sep 24, 2009, 11:10
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 11:10
Sep 24, 2009, 11:10

Explain that to some of the dinosaurs around here please

Not like you can ever change anyones way of thinking over the Internet anyway... I just feel like someone around here has to have a level-headed view of things instead of this rabid nostalgia and fanboyism we see all over. There are a few people here, but we just get dismissed as trolls and shills for not towing the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race party line.

Sep 24, 2009, 11:04
Verno

Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 11:04
Sep 24, 2009, 11:04
 Verno

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why some of my fellow PC enthusiasts have turned into crusty old fucks longing for ye olden days, but I still think it's unproductive for them to bitch and moan and shoot nostalgia into their veins.

Explain that to some of the dinosaurs around here please

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 11:04.

Sep 24, 2009, 10:52
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 10:52
Sep 24, 2009, 10:52

If whining doesn't change anything, why are you whining about the whiners? Obviously your whining isn't going to change their opinion so you should probably just accept it and move on instead of ranting.

Why are you whining about my whining about their whining when you know it isn't going to shut me up. You should probably just accept it and move on to the next life. Your terminal stupidity could probably qualify you for assisted suicide in some states.

All on one screen so the 4 that are playing know exactly where the other 3 are. Wow that sounds like fun...NOT.

Only relevant for shooters, and a little game called GoldenEye back on the N64 pulled off split screen shooterdom very well. It's legendary.

I'm not just talking LAN/Conventions like Quakecon. I'm also talking home based LAN parties. I hold a weekly LAN (8-10 people) at our home and have been doing so for almost 10-15yrs now. We setup in the dining and living rooms and play all weekend long, with the odd sleep/food break. We also hold LAN's at work all the time. I have numerous friends that do the exact same thing every week.

Anecdotal bullshit. You know damn well this sort of activity is rare as hell anymore. It was bigger 10 years ago, but has fallen off to nothing.

PC gaming isn't dying anytime soon, sorry to break it to you.

No, it isn't dying. But it's going to become the realm of small low budget titles that take advantage of digital distribution to cut the publisher out of the equation. And of course MMOs, as I said in my post, which don't require overwhelming box sales because they provide a steady stream of income.

Very true.
They're also a bit rare, not very impromptu, and still considered massively nerdy. But video gaming as a whole isn't.

Yep. Gaming is no longer the realm of the basement dweller stereotype people used to throw around. A lot of people cant accept that their niche hobby has gone mainstream. We see it all the time, people bitching that they were ____ before ____ was cool and that everyone who started ____ after them are dirty unwashed peasants.

It's social. It's something people do.
None of these people have desktops. None of them care about gaming on their computer. They spend much of their day hunched over the thing and want to get away with their friends.

PCs don't allow that. Consoles do. And people here are kidding themselves if they don't think that the social aspect of consoles are a huge part of their selling point, or that PCs can come close to comparing.

That's a big, big part of it. Computers are so much a part of peoples daily lives, whether it be work or school, that most can't justify spending their free time glued in front of it as well. Especially since it basically means they'll be spending their free time absolutely alone.

I'm a big time PC enthusiast. I'm the kind of dork who has a closet full of PC parts, and a couple cabinets in another room, as well as a bunch of crap in my garage. I don't mind spending a lot of time at my PC. But I'm not going to be caught dead sitting here playing some PC game all alone when I have the opportunity to go get drunk and play some 4-player console action on some TV the size of my car somewhere. The PC just can't compete in that area at all.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why some of my fellow PC enthusiasts have turned into crusty old fucks longing for ye olden days, but I still think it's unproductive for them to bitch and moan and shoot nostalgia into their veins.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 10:57.

Sep 24, 2009, 10:12
Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 10:12
Sep 24, 2009, 10:12

Wow. We might get to see what happens when shit buys shit! weird.
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older