L4D Crash Course This Month

Valve announces that the Crash Course DLC for Left 4 Dead (and Left 4 Dead 2) is due on September 29:
September 23, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced that Crash Course -- the second downloadable content (DLC) update for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead (L4D) -- will be made available worldwide on September 29 on Xbox 360 and PC.

Crash Course delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay to both platforms, and bridges the gap between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll" in the original game.

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of Crash Course is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns. A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added, and item spawn behavior has changed for more balanced gameplay.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: L4D Crash Course This Month
Sep 24, 2009, 00:15
Dev

Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 24, 2009, 00:15
Sep 24, 2009, 00:15
 Dev

I think the goal of a campaign in 30 mins is GREAT.

Only problem is, based on previous valve behavior with L4D1, I have a sneaking suspiscion that valve chose to do this more because it takes much less time to create and test such a campaign.

Sep 24, 2009, 00:12
Dev

Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 24, 2009, 00:12
Sep 24, 2009, 00:12
 Dev

The problem with dead air is not nessasarily the open areas. Its more that in a finale the infected can't choose thier spawn points, so open areas become much more of a problem for infected since the pre-determined spawn points are all very far from a couple places many teams go to play this level.

That would work fine if the two big problem open areas (one next to building and one way out on the tarmac) were cut down so that survivors couldn't access them, OR spawn points could be selected in finale with a few strategic obstacles to spawn behind.

Kinda like the finale in the blood harvest campaign. It has a few wide open areas but usually there are ways for the infected to get around to those areas.

Sep 23, 2009, 14:32
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 14:32
Sep 23, 2009, 14:32

Survival mode was just boring. Even if they made it so the Infected Boss spawns and bit slower and were playable by other human players, it would make it far more interesting.

Talking with Chet Faliszek at PAX, I said to him that I preferred to play the Infected Bosses and would like to see more focus on that...his response was "Then you will probably like the new game mode.", which of course has yet to be announced.

I was supposed to go down to Valve last Friday for a playtest of L4D2 but I got really sick with the flu upon returning home from PAX, so I wasn't able to go. Hoping I can arrange something in the next few weeks, before the launch of L4D2 to go do a playtest.

Sep 23, 2009, 14:13
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 14:13
Sep 23, 2009, 14:13

Problem with open areas is that the infected team is at a HUGE disadvantage. I have seen so many rounds that once a team gets to the final fight in Dead Air people bail.

Boomer is useless, smoker is so so, hunter is about the only good one. Even tank's usually get raped.

Maybe the gameplay needs a bit of expanding here. Instead of infected being easy targets at range you could have trash bins you could move so you'd be protected behind them. You could even get comical with it and have the card board box from MGS make an appearance. You could have metal trash cans moving around from infected crouched/hiding under them. These would have counters of course, just not the standard guns that seem to counter everything in the game currently.

You could also make a map that had "trap" areas like sewer grates or A/C ducts that the infected could spawn at and they'd basically jump out regardless if the survivors could see them or not. Imagine a warehouse full of boxes and infected could spawn in a handful of them and attack from there? You could have the spawn locations change in each map so you'd have no way of knowing which boxes would have an infected inside.(And you couldn't just shoot all the boxes, there would be nothing about them that made them any different than the static boxes until someone spawned in them.

They could have done a lot with L4D. It's all so depressing that with all this potential what we get from Valve is basically the same thing with new paint a year later. It would be nice to be proven wrong when the demo arrives, maybe they've done a ton more behind the scenes that they aren't telling anyone about but it looks like very little has changed.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 14:16.

Sep 23, 2009, 13:52
DG
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 13:52
Sep 23, 2009, 13:52
DG

I'd like to see a map where you are trapped in an area and have to defend it instead of just running from A-B the whole time. Like a shopping mall. It wouldn't be like survival mode, it would just be a huge map where armies of zombies bust in on one side and you have to defeat that wave, then another army busts in on another side, defeat that wave, etc. After the last wave you get a helicopter rescue or something. Large open maps would be a welcome change. Football Stadium, Baseball Stadium, Basketball/hockey arena, etc. Could include some more destructive weapons like grenade launchers, .50 cal mounted machine guns, M60's, make it fun to kill zombies! And who doesn't want a flame thrower?!
I would have thought that would be quite doable with a custom map + server mod, other than the weapons. Dunno if the map has to be huge either, just a typical chapter but designed in an interconnected block rather than linear path.

Actually it's basically a finale with a large area and modified zombie spawn patters no?

I'd also like to see a time trial mode, just the original campaigns without panic events, tweak Director to be more aggressive towards players that hang around and throw in more ammo.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 13:54.

Sep 23, 2009, 13:08
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 13:08
Sep 23, 2009, 13:08

Tumbler-

Problem with open areas is that the infected team is at a HUGE disadvantage. I have seen so many rounds that once a team gets to the final fight in Dead Air people bail.

Boomer is useless, smoker is so so, hunter is about the only good one. Even tank's usually get raped.

Sep 23, 2009, 13:04
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 13:04
Sep 23, 2009, 13:04

That's kinda what I was hoping to get with Survival. Hole up someplace in just enough time to throw a wave back, run around looking for stuff between waves, etc. Being able to build barricades and things would be great for that kind of play, even if it's just throwing physics props in a pile.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Sep 23, 2009, 12:10
Prez

Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 12:10
Sep 23, 2009, 12:10
 Prez

I'd like to see a map where you are trapped in an area and have to defend it instead of just running from A-B the whole time. Like a shopping mall. It wouldn't be like survival mode, it would just be a huge map where armies of zombies bust in on one side and you have to defeat that wave, then another army busts in on another side, defeat that wave, etc. After the last wave you get a helicopter rescue or something. Large open maps would be a welcome change. Football Stadium, Baseball Stadium, Basketball/hockey arena, etc. Could include some more destructive weapons like grenade launchers, .50 cal mounted machine guns, M60's, make it fun to kill zombies! And who doesn't want a flame thrower?!

This is what Survival Mode should have been.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 23, 2009, 12:08
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 12:08
Sep 23, 2009, 12:08

Having to square away 2 hours to play a whole round of Versus, while fun, is a big commitment.

While that is the best case scenario...when I want to play L4D Versus 99% of the time I just use Quick Play, join a server, if my teammates are idiots I quit out and do it again. I may only have time for a couple maps...so be it, doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. It's really just like joining CSS or DoDs for a map or two.

Sep 23, 2009, 12:02
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 12:02
Sep 23, 2009, 12:02

I hate all the corridors, tunnels and sneaking around. Just gimme some weaponry and lets kill some zombies!

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 12:05.

Sep 23, 2009, 11:44
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 11:44
Sep 23, 2009, 11:44

Having to square away 2 hours to play a whole round of Versus, while fun, is a big commitment. Looking forward to the DLC!

Exactly. Unless a group totally dominates another - you can plan 2+ hours per. Although hella fun when you have a great battle - it does get alittle long.

Sep 23, 2009, 11:36
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 11:36
Sep 23, 2009, 11:36

Having finally plunged into Versus mode at a recent LAN, I can see where the size of this campaign is much better suited for pick-up Versus games. Having to square away 2 hours to play a whole round of Versus, while fun, is a big commitment. Looking forward to the DLC!

Sep 23, 2009, 11:14
Prez

Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 11:14
Sep 23, 2009, 11:14
 Prez

Nice. The campaign will be a short one (2 maps according to PC Gamer), but it is a welcome addition.

Have to admit I'm a little disappointed that there's no announcement of a new weapon, but I'll take what I can get.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 23, 2009, 11:06
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 11:06
Sep 23, 2009, 11:06

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

Sep 23, 2009, 10:41
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 10:41
Sep 23, 2009, 10:41

Verno-

Hope that is it. I love getting yelled at when I'm on Boomer, hanging back and waiting for recharge.

Reminds me of FFXI...

Sep 23, 2009, 10:22
Verno

Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 10:22
Sep 23, 2009, 10:22
 Verno

I'm assuming it's for their special abilities so you can more easily co-ordinate when to attack. ie - you see a boomer's spit is on cooldown so you know to hang back and wait for it.
Playing: Trials of Mana Remake, FF7R
Watching: Into the Light

Sep 23, 2009, 10:15
Re: L4D Crash Course This Month Sep 23, 2009, 10:15
Sep 23, 2009, 10:15

"A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added"

Anybody know what does this means exactly? You can already see the respawn timer for each player on the HUD.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older