Pripyat Calls on DX11

DirectX 11 – What to expect on the AMD at Play Blog discusses the upcoming version of Microsoft's Direct X gaming API. In addition to technical details, the article also reveals that support for DX11 is snowballing, as the slate of games to use the API has now tripled (to three). In addition to the already announced DX11 support in DiRT 2, they also list GSC Game World's upcoming S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat and EA's already released BattleForge as DirectX 11 games. Thanks Big Download.
View : : :
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11
Sep 15, 2009, 10:04
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 15, 2009, 10:04
Sep 15, 2009, 10:04

STALKER SoC only crashed once in my entire play through the game recently

Boy I wish I had your kind of miracle machine sir.

Sep 14, 2009, 22:41
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 14, 2009, 22:41
Sep 14, 2009, 22:41

STALKER SoC only crashed once in my entire play through the game recently. And that was with the demanding STALKER Complete 2009 mod installed too.

I also discovered that u can dramatically reduce load times by adding "-noprefetch" to the command line. Doesn't hurt performance.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 22:43.

Sep 14, 2009, 09:11
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 14, 2009, 09:11
Sep 14, 2009, 09:11

That has to be one of the most distinguishing aspects to STALKER - the stark reality of the game locations

Agreed, my desktop has never looked so good. The seamless blending of natural game environments and my Firefox icon is a big immersion factor for me. I loved the new bullet time effects where the screen would go black due at random and require a reboot.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 09:12.

Sep 12, 2009, 03:15
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 12, 2009, 03:15
Sep 12, 2009, 03:15

Then you're doing it wrong. I've done that in my Focus! All it takes is getting that right point between control and getting the car just unbalanced enough to start the slide.

You've powerslid a front wheel driven car through a 120 going 60?

You didn't happen to get possessed by the spirit of Colin McRae a few years back, didya?

aguar D Types, Ferrari's coachwork by Pinanfarina, DeTomaso's Pantera, Porsche's 550, the original Ford GT

I don't have 400,000 dollars in my pocket.

Yeesh, no. The lack of any sort of real handling, skinny ass 14" tires and drum brakes do not equal "fun" in my book. I had more of a blast in my 1995 Mustang GT convertible than I ever did in the convertible GT-500 I restored with my dad that turned in to my first car. Nothing says awesome like having more power than the GT-500 with the ability to slide around the corner smoothly and responsively and actually be able to stop in a quarter of the distance. I'm probably a bit younger than you, Creston, but I'm definitely not a tuner boy. You can get all that power and seat-of-the-pants driving in a more modern car that's lighter, faster and far more even tempered.

I'm not all that old actually, the muscle cars are from well before I was allowed to drive. But I like a car that >> I << have to drive, as opposed to a car that allows me to pretend like I'm driving.

Back to SS, though, I think there HAVE been games that have brought it all together. Thief, as Surf mentioned, is definitely one. Even as a kid, SS never "scared" me. Star Control II, to me, is another example of a game that brought it all together and did it right. I'll put Bioshock forward as a modern example of a game that got it all right in all the categories you've mentioned. Silent Hunter is a sim that's also a modern example. It definitely gives you that feeling of "Fuck, there's a Jap destroyer overhead and I hear splashes. I have shit myself and I'm fairly sure we're fucked."

And that's fine, though you're kind of jumping categories quite a bit. The whole point of a simulator is to immerse you, otherwise it'd suck at being a simulation. And as for Star Control, fantastic game, but I never felt like I was sitting in one of my cruisers. (not like, for example, I feel when I'm playing X.)

I absolutely want Microsoft and game devs to push hard on DX 11 and I want a shit ton more people to use it.

Sure, but Microsoft needs to stop holding it out as some kind of ultimatum. "If you don't pay for our new OS, you won't get this shiny new game! HAHAHAAHAH!"

And then deliver a game that does absolutely nothing that DX9 couldn't do. (ie Crysis.)

If you want people to see DX11 as something fantastic that they MUST have, then make it something that's WORTH upgrading for. Hardware Tesselation is a nice buzzword, but until I see some hardware being tesselated in my next RPG, it doesn't mean shit.

Remember spending fucking HOURS trying to make the perfect boot disk for Ultima 7?

Ultima 7 was easy, because it used a memory extender. You didn't even have to worry about your 640K anymore.

The Dark Sun goldbox game, now THAT was a fucking bitch. It wanted 602K of RAM available, and that was a real chore, even with loading everything High. My buddy could never play that game with sound, because if he tried to load his sound card drivers, he was something like 70 bytes short. Hehe. 70 fucking bytes.

Creston

Sep 12, 2009, 02:41
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 12, 2009, 02:41
Sep 12, 2009, 02:41

Ahhh the MIDWIFE, that was her! That was the name I just couldn't remember.

Shodan was great, but I thought Xerces was great as well! Man that was a great game.

Sep 12, 2009, 01:57
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 12, 2009, 01:57
Sep 12, 2009, 01:57

BTW, I wonder if DX11 will be windows 7 only, so that MS can try and sell more copies of windows lol.
Nope, it will run on Vista as well. DX10 was only Vista only because of the substantial changes to the driver model and you can't simply break driver compatibility in an existing operating system just to support a new version of DirectX.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 12, 2009, 01:47
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 12, 2009, 01:47
Sep 12, 2009, 01:47

My biggest problem with SS1 is the controls. Oh man they are a retro-nasty WASD-ish/mouse wreck. Innovative though. Very geeky-nerdtastic atmosphere to that game. The cheesy music. The cyberspace stuff is pretty lame though I have to say lolz.

SS2 is almost a different game IMO. It's way better at horror, for one. Way over the top in that way maybe. That game put me near the edge of the creepy but that is also what will never let me forget that experience. Obviously the improved graphics give you a bit more immersion too. But yah it is so linear that I really only enjoyed my first play-thru (but that tends to happen to me with most games)

The half-naked cyborg bitch was the Cyborg Midwife, btw. <cringe> Oh man, that game.....

Looking forward to Pripyat. I was just running around the city in SoC. That has to be one of the most distinguishing aspects to STALKER - the stark reality of the game locations. That place is really out there in the real world and that's what it looks like. The radiation is real. Not many games have that kind of connection.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 01:56.

Sep 12, 2009, 00:43
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 12, 2009, 00:43
Sep 12, 2009, 00:43

Wasn't her name Shodan?

And yeah, Star Control 2 is such a great game in so many ways. It's too bad the original people didn't do SC3. Such a waste.

Sep 11, 2009, 23:43
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 23:43
Sep 11, 2009, 23:43

I imagine it will probably be Vista/7 only.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Sep 11, 2009, 23:19
Dev
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 23:19
Sep 11, 2009, 23:19
Dev

BTW, I wonder if DX11 will be windows 7 only, so that MS can try and sell more copies of windows lol.

Sep 11, 2009, 23:18
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 23:18
Sep 11, 2009, 23:18

Oh Hell yes!

I was all over that like white on rice! I've probably played through it 30 or so time since UQM was released.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 11, 2009, 23:16
Dev
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 23:16
Sep 11, 2009, 23:16
Dev

The Advocate:
I remember the dos days and tweaking boot disks

BTW, I LOVE star control 2. Did you know there's a fan made recreation of it that runs on almost any platform now? They had some of the original source code, but they pretty much re-created it identically to the original. And they brought back some of the original composers of the original SC2 music to redo the music. OMG the music is worth downloading by itself even if you don't want to replay the game.

Google up Ur-Quan Masters

Sep 11, 2009, 23:03
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 23:03
Sep 11, 2009, 23:03

Sure there are better cars now. My Mazda 3 is a fantastic car, it would beat a 67 Mustang Fastback hands down in pretty much every category you could think of. But I can't powerslide my Mazda 3 through a 120 degree turn at 60mph while my tires are smoking.

Then you're doing it wrong. I've done that in my Focus! All it takes is getting that right point between control and getting the car just unbalanced enough to start the slide.

A) Beautiful.

We can disagree and chalk it up as a matter of taste. While the 1970 Boss 302 was a nice looking car, I reserve "beautiful" for Jaguar D Types, Ferrari's coachwork by Pinanfarina, DeTomaso's Pantera, Porsche's 550, the original Ford GT (Thanks, Lola!), etc. Cars that are still used as inspirations today, not merely warmed over re-hashes by their respective companies looking to cash in on nostalgia (Looking at you here, Ford, in as much as I love you).

B) Absolutely fucking FUN to drive.

Yeesh, no. The lack of any sort of real handling, skinny ass 14" tires and drum brakes do not equal "fun" in my book. I had more of a blast in my 1995 Mustang GT convertible than I ever did in the convertible GT-500 I restored with my dad that turned in to my first car. Nothing says awesome like having more power than the GT-500 with the ability to slide around the corner smoothly and responsively and actually be able to stop in a quarter of the distance. I'm probably a bit younger than you, Creston, but I'm definitely not a tuner boy. You can get all that power and seat-of-the-pants driving in a more modern car that's lighter, faster and far more even tempered.

Back to SS, though, I think there HAVE been games that have brought it all together. Thief, as Surf mentioned, is definitely one. Even as a kid, SS never "scared" me. Star Control II, to me, is another example of a game that brought it all together and did it right. I'll put Bioshock forward as a modern example of a game that got it all right in all the categories you've mentioned. Silent Hunter is a sim that's also a modern example. It definitely gives you that feeling of "Fuck, there's a Jap destroyer overhead and I hear splashes. I have shit myself and I'm fairly sure we're fucked."

In the racing genre, GT Legends brought it home too. As I said, I think rose colored glass inspired by nostalgia prevent a lot of people from seeing the modern equivalents simply because they aren't exactly, down to the typo on page 11 in the manual, direct copies of past products.

I absolutely want Microsoft and game devs to push hard on DX 11 and I want a shit ton more people to use it. I want more power in the hands to make these worlds come alive. Historically, without these kinds of pushes, you would have never had real advances that you probably take for granted today. Advances like dedicated multichannel audio in your PC, 3D graphics (thanks 3Dfx!), monitors with high resolutions that we can run two or more simultaneously, huge capacity hard drives, game oriented peripherals (Mice, keyboard, etc) and much more. Someone has to take that first step and say "This is the new standard." I'm rather platform agnostic but I think MS doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves for creating the standard upon which all the games you, I and we so dearly love ran on. Remember DOS? Remember creating custom boot floppy disks for each game you wanted to play? Remember spending fucking HOURS trying to make the perfect boot disk for Ultima 7?

I do...and I am happy as Hell that those days are long gone.

Sep 11, 2009, 22:57
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 22:57
Sep 11, 2009, 22:57

More graphic enhancements, I wish they would do something about the AI and physics (or lack of) in games.

focus on that guys.

Sep 11, 2009, 22:17
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 22:17
Sep 11, 2009, 22:17

I know SS gets a lot of love but it reminds me a lot of people my Dad's age still drooling over "muscle" cars from 40 years ago. Far better have come out since that time but nostalgia and a certain amount of resistance to newness makes the acceptance of these better, more modern variants hard for the old codgers.

The reason people still love the old muscle cars is because they're

A) Beautiful.
B) Absolutely fucking FUN to drive.

Sure there are better cars now. My Mazda 3 is a fantastic car, it would beat a 67 Mustang Fastback hands down in pretty much every category you could think of. But I can't powerslide my Mazda 3 through a 120 degree turn at 60mph while my tires are smoking.

So yeah, there've been games that are better graphically than System Shock, and there are games that have better voice acting, and a better engine, and better roleplaying and better powers. But I don't think there's ever been a game where it all meshed together so well and TRULY immersed you into its world. And to think, its highest resolution was 640x480 (which I didn't even discover until after I'd played through it like four times already) with 16 bit color.

I would literally pay 200 dollars a copy of a remake of System Shock with a modern engine, say Dunia, or Id Tech 5.

Creston

Sep 11, 2009, 22:12
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 22:12
Sep 11, 2009, 22:12

System Shock 2 kicks the shit out of the original SS

I liked the original better. The story worked better, the levels in the original SS were truly, TRULY amazing, there was much better use of specialized ammo to take down certain monsters, the voicemails etc were much better integrated, and it genuinely felt like a space station.

SS2 was very linear and for all how it was set on the Von Braun, it could have just as easily been set in a futuristic IKEA. I never really got the idea that I was on a starship.

But, again, to each his own.

Creston

Sep 11, 2009, 22:07
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 22:07
Sep 11, 2009, 22:07

I think you were referring to the female enemy? What were they called. Surrogate?

I can't remember. The creepy half naked bitch, that muttered to herself. Shit she was scary. There'd usually only be one of her in a level, but that was enough. You'd be cautiously creeping around until you'd found and killed her.

Creston

Sep 11, 2009, 21:40
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 21:40
Sep 11, 2009, 21:40

You hit it right on the head, Surf.

Thief > SS for atmosphere.

I know SS gets a lot of love but it reminds me a lot of people my Dad's age still drooling over "muscle" cars from 40 years ago. Far better have come out since that time but nostalgia and a certain amount of resistance to newness makes the acceptance of these better, more modern variants hard for the old codgers.

Having just watched the Stalker demo vid, the atmosphere impressed the shit out of me. The last third with the gun play was underwhelming but how many games can I play that involve walking around in dark places with a flashlight like a total fucking retard before it gets old? About 2.

And monster closets, fuck you.

Sep 11, 2009, 21:21
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 21:21
Sep 11, 2009, 21:21

Well if anyone cares, i worked for Looking Glass and was on Thief 1 while at the offices looking at the sketch art and early stages of SS2 right next to me.

Strange how when I was at Eidos we worked on Thief 1 at LG. At the same time EA was making SS2, at LG! So weird. Same engine and all.

I think we are getting the terms mixed up here. Shoot, the SS2/Thief1 engine was capable of atmosphere, and Thief blew away SS2 at that. SS2 was very linear. It actually still looks good today except for the huge, dead center weapons and the enemies. The voice acting is stellar!

Creston - I think you were referring to the female enemy? What were they called. Surrogate? What is the term for a woman that has a child for another woman or on behalf of?

Sep 11, 2009, 21:01
Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 21:01
Sep 11, 2009, 21:01

I like both System Shock 2 and STALKER SoC and I say they both have fantastic atmosphere. Ok?

Actually I just finished up a run thru STALKER SoC a few days ago. Incredible experience IMO only tarnished by the game's inability to really tell a cohesive story. But I loved the action, exploration, the locales, atmosphere, etc. Great stuff.

Oh and there's a mod called "STALKER Complete 2009" put together by an artist. It adds a lot of polish to the graphics with a goal of even better immersion.

AND, System Shock 2 kicks the shit out of the original SS. Flame me if necessary but nobody's changing that opinion.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2009, 21:07.
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older