StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility

It's possible StarCraft II will have a workaround to allow play on a Local Area Network following the uproar over previous indications that Blizzard's RTS sequel will not include LAN support. Kotaku brought this up with Rob Pardo, and he seemed amused at the idea that people will still consider this an issue when the game is released, indicating that in cases where no 'net connection is available, there may still be ways to play: "There's a few legitimate cases that we're going to try and address over time. Location-based tournaments, or let's say I'm in a dorm with a firewall or something like that, hopefully there's a way to determine that and maybe start a peer-to-peer game." Likewise, Shacknews raised the possibility in a conversation with Battle.net developer Greg Canessa work on a solution to support low latency/high bandwidth situations where they asked if such a solution could provide "pseudo-LAN" support with Battle.Net authentication for local games: "Something like that," he told them. "Maintaining a connection with Battle.net, I don't know if it's once or periodically, but then also having a peer-to-peer connection between players to facilitate a very low-ping, high-bandwidth connection.. those are the things that we're working on." They also confirm with Jay Wilson that Diablo III will deal with LANs the same way StarCraft II does, so it should support any such programming created for StarCraft II.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

How hard can it be?
Aug 23, 2009, 14:58
How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 14:58
Aug 23, 2009, 14:58

Seriously everone knows that DRM and the likes does nothing against piracy. I mean look at the Sims3 which had a similair sollution with internet authentification like SC2 will have to figh piracy and guess what? Sims 3 was the most pirated game of 08. What will legitimate customers that host lans with friends do? As it is now Blizzard forces them to pirate the game, oh the irony...

Please Blizzard don't screw this up.

Re: How hard can it be?
Aug 23, 2009, 15:23
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 15:23
Aug 23, 2009, 15:23

Here is my idea of how they can do lan play.

Force one user to authenticate with Blizzards Battle.net service.
Blizzard authorizes that user to host a lan game. Once a lan game is
initiated then other fellow lan users can connect. Once connected the
Host game can check versions and whatever else blizzard might use to
ensure it is a legit copy of the game that wants to connect to the
Host game computer. If that host game (connected to battle.net) feels
the client is not in compliance then it will dump the user. If it
feels like it is in compliance then it would allow the user to stay
connected for the game. Once the game is started the host can ether
stay connected or disconnect during the game play and then re connect
once the game is over or the host leaves and dumps all the players.

ether way Blizzard gets one legit copy to connect to battle.net. I just think the development department couldn't come up with a good enough idea or didn't want to.

I wanted to post this on blizzards site, but I lost my cd key for my blizzard games long ago.. let alone find the darn games.

Aug 23, 2009, 15:30
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 15:30
Aug 23, 2009, 15:30

Seriously everone knows that DRM and the likes does nothing against piracy. I mean look at the Sims3 which had a similair sollution with internet authentification like SC2 will have to figh piracy and guess what? Sims 3 was the most pirated game of 08. What will legitimate customers that host lans with friends do? As it is now Blizzard forces them to pirate the game, oh the irony...

Please Blizzard don't screw this up.

Sims 3 came out in '09, not long ago, and EA has said they were pleasantly surprised with the sales actually, last I heard. It wsn't so much an Internet authentication model, it was a bonus content with registration model, and access to the community that worked.

And hey guess what, that same tactic is what Blizz is doing here. Who would of thunk it.

Making a pirated copy a lesser version than a retail copy is pretty much the only way to stop piracy, in my opinion. That's why Steam has community features and DLC, it's why Sims 3 has a community and online content, it's why Starcraft 2 is having an expanded Battle.net. I would say you need to get used to it.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 15:32.

Aug 23, 2009, 15:32
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 15:32
Aug 23, 2009, 15:32

Here is my idea of how they can do LAN play:

Do it as it's been fucking working perfectly for almost twenty years!

Otherwise, that call home to authorize the host will be sniffed, cracked, a pirated server will be released and, as always, pirates will end up with a far superior product while not paying a dime, while buyers will have to jump through hoops, and all because one idiot suit thought either hey, we can avoid piracy with this (unlikely) or hey, let's force everybody to use the new BNet and eat all the ads we send their way (more likely).

Aug 23, 2009, 15:51
Prez

Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 15:51
Aug 23, 2009, 15:51
 Prez

Making a pirated copy a lesser version than a retail copy is pretty much the only way to stop piracy, in my opinion.

I share your opinion. No DRM has proven the least bit effective, while adding post sale value as in the case of DLC and major updates like what Stardock does seems to have had a positive effect on sales.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility
Aug 23, 2009, 15:52
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 23, 2009, 15:52
Aug 23, 2009, 15:52

It is like watching a bee hitting a window. They will never learn. Accountants & lawyer types amaze me.

Aug 23, 2009, 16:55
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 16:55
Aug 23, 2009, 16:55

DRM could actually work, but not in the form it is seen today in. Something based on constant information exchange with an internet service where a server siphons game-critical files and whatever else to the players.

Suboptimal for the customers-and I don't cherish the idea of not having complete control over my games, but between the PC gaming market suffering and DRM, I'll choose DRM every time.

Aug 23, 2009, 17:20
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 17:20
Aug 23, 2009, 17:20

This whole "lesser content for pirates" doesn't work, as seen in "various places" and ALL of the content for Sims 3 is available to whoever wants it, just at a slight disadvantage. Including that extra neighborhood, that EA was gloating about pirates not getting.

Rockstar gloated about it's $200,000 (or around that figure) anti-piracy and it was, for the most part, cracked in the same week.

Also, the aforementioned method of one person being classified as a legit copy, connected to Blizzard, and authenticating the other copies from it is a good idea. However, it also sounds like it's just waiting to be attacked by pirates. Blizzard just wants to make an end-all be-all of anti-piracy for multiplayer and they're experimenting.

There aren't alot of options, they just need to do it right...

Atleast they're considering LAN as an option though!!!

Honestly, Battle.net and the marketplace sound very exciting, and I personally don't really care if it has LAN or not... it's friggin' Starcraft 2!

Aug 23, 2009, 17:23
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 17:23
Aug 23, 2009, 17:23

Suboptimal for the customers-and I don't cherish the idea of not having complete control over my games, but between the PC gaming market suffering and DRM, I'll choose DRM every time.

I agree 100%.

For all my "defense" of DRM on this forum, which is really more explaining the need than defending, it is rooted squarely in the fact that I do not want PC games to dissapear, or become something else entirely. A PC gaming world where everything is WoW and Peggle frightens me... a PC gaming world where everything is online play frightens me.

I want singleplayer games and I want them on my chosen gaming platform. If that means DRM because some people can't stop stealing shit, so be it.

Aug 23, 2009, 18:05
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 18:05
Aug 23, 2009, 18:05

Well, i prefer DRM-free PC games over DRM infested PC games ... i don't understand your panic, that PC gaming will vanish because of "piracy". It won't

Aug 23, 2009, 18:06
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 18:06
Aug 23, 2009, 18:06

I expect that Starcraft 2 will be a game full of so much win that I would telephone an Indian call centre, trading 64 character-long keys and confirming my penis length every time I inserted the dynamite-laced DVD into my Securom manufactured drive.

Aug 23, 2009, 18:10
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 18:10
Aug 23, 2009, 18:10

This whole "lesser content for pirates" doesn't work, as seen in "various places" and ALL of the content for Sims 3 is available to whoever wants it, just at a slight disadvantage. Including that extra neighborhood, that EA was gloating about pirates not getting.

Piracy for the Sims isn't as bad of an issue since it has a much larger casual audience. Figures show something like 50% of it's players are women, which is something most games not on the Wii cannot say. Heck my friend's mom who's almost 60 plays the Sims, and it's the only thing she ever plays.

Aug 23, 2009, 18:17
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 18:17
Aug 23, 2009, 18:17

I want singleplayer games and I want them on my chosen gaming platform. If that means DRM because some people can't stop stealing shit, so be it.

Most intelligent post on Blue's this week.

Aug 23, 2009, 18:32
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 18:32
Aug 23, 2009, 18:32

Well, i prefer DRM-free PC games over DRM infested PC games ... i don't understand your panic, that PC gaming will vanish because of "piracy". It won't

I don't think PC gaming is dying, but I do think there is real risk of it changing, which is almost as bad for me. How many times have we seen publishrs, developers and the media talk about PC gaming changing to be more like WoW and Popcap, and less like Crysis and Mass Effect?

As someone who plays singleplayer games almost exclusively, that is about as bad as saying no more PC gaming ever.

If DRM is needed to continue profitable levels of sales on the PC for offline singleplayer games, or even just to convince publishers to take release on the PC, then, as I said, so be it.

It's not panic to recognize industry moods and shifts.

The real trick is to make sure that DRM that is needed is as consumer friendly as possible, and even has benefits. Steam does a rather good job with this, and Battle.net 2.0 looks to be trying a similar thing.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 18:33.

Aug 23, 2009, 18:38
PHJF

Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 18:38
Aug 23, 2009, 18:38
 PHJF

...PC gaming changing to be more like WoW and Popcap, and less like Crysis and Mass Effect?

Those are the examples you came up with to defend pc games?

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 18:39.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 23, 2009, 19:17
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 23, 2009, 19:17
Aug 23, 2009, 19:17

Believe it or not, some people like Crysis and Mass Effect, because we don't feel the need to crucify everything solely because it's a console port or because it doesn't meet some nostalgia-filter-colored bias about how much better gaming supposedly was X number of years ago.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Aug 23, 2009, 19:27
Re: How hard can it be? Aug 23, 2009, 19:27
Aug 23, 2009, 19:27

If DRM is needed to continue profitable levels of sales on the PC for offline singleplayer games, or even just to convince publishers to take release on the PC, then, as I said, so be it.

The real trick is to make sure that DRM that is needed is as consumer friendly as possible, and even has benefits. Steam does a rather good job with this, and Battle.net 2.0 looks to be trying a similar thing.
Quoting this for 100% unmitigated truth.

Aug 23, 2009, 19:28
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 23, 2009, 19:28
Aug 23, 2009, 19:28

Some of us just hate Crysis for the good old fashioned reason of it sucking...

Ok, it didn't really suck, per say, but once you got past the (admittedly bloody awesome) graphics, the gameplay just felt really... bleh. Yeah, using nano strength to pick up a drill press and fling it at a bad guy was fun the first few times, but it was a gimmick. The actual combat was average, not very bad or very good, the vehicle sections sucked universally, and the level design, while pretty, was really pretty monotonous and uninspired... Even the alien ship levels didn't really do much for me.

Mass Effect was alright, although not the company's best offering, in my opinion.

As far as justifying DRM by saying if it saves the computer game market, so be it... Fine, sure, I can tolerate reasonable DRM. "Reasonable" DRM wasn't what the majority were up in arms about though, it was the crippling (3 activations, ever), the invasive (Phone home every time), and the broken (False positives, system incompatibilities, etc). The rest of DRM I think kinda got caught in the backlash.

Aug 23, 2009, 19:53
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 23, 2009, 19:53
Aug 23, 2009, 19:53

Opinions will be opinions but as far as mine goes, Crysis is great.

It's one of the few shooters in the past few years I liked, and except for the linear, linear, horribly linear ending sequence, it was so freeform I felt like I was playing Deus Ex at times. There's just so much freedom, except it's more "focused" and distinct than in a sandbox game while you always have a clear goal to work to.

What actually happened is that people seem to have some strange perception that a game can't look good and play well at the same time leading to a lot of kneejerking.

Aug 23, 2009, 21:50
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 23, 2009, 21:50
Aug 23, 2009, 21:50

What actually happened is that people seem to have some strange perception that a game can't look good and play well at the same time leading to a lot of kneejerking.

Exactly... it's like the beautiful woman who is also a doctor, she has to be twice the doctor as everyone else to gain respect.

Crysis had to be twice the shooter of every other because it was a graphics showcase... people were just waiting to bash it as all look no gameplay, especially console gamers who couldn't play the game.

I loved Crysis because it offered solid FPS action with PC controls and options, and in beautiful large enviornments. Playing through on Delta and having to use your powers was a thrilling experience. The story wasn't RPG quality, but what shooter's is? I know some were dissapointed the levels were somewhat more linear than Farcry, but that doesn't make the game bad, and hell people flip over Call of Duty which is as linear as a straight line. Even games considered non-linear are now-a-days becoming linear as hell... what do people do in Grand Theft Auto 4? They follow the GPS line. In Fallot 3 they follow the quest arrow... Crysis was no better nor worse.

In any event, the games I chose do not matter... the point is preserving singleplayer story-driven games on PC. People in the industry who make decisions are acting like AAA games of this kind are on borrowed time for PC, and I want to make sure that threat is never made a reality, even a little bit. I can lose the occasional game that should be on PC, like The Darkness or Gears of War 2, but I cannot stomach losing the majority.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 21:52.
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer