BRINK Interview

Thinking Brink- Splash Damage's Console Evolution on Gamasutra is a conversation with Splash Damage designer Edward Stern about BRINK, their upcoming action game, focusing in part on the developer applying their experiences from PC development to the world of consoles. Reading this leaves little doubt that Ed's paid his shooter dues: "Obviously, from a PC hardcore FPS background, we know both the best and worst time you can have playing a game is online. It can be astonishing four-dimensional chess. It can be absolutely the best thing you could be doing. It could be tactical and brilliant, or it can be just an exercise in soul-crushing frustration and homophobic, racist, misogynist abuse as well.
View : : :

Re: BRINK Interview
Aug 1, 2009, 04:57
Re: BRINK Interview Aug 1, 2009, 04:57
Aug 1, 2009, 04:57

We've had to grow a lot as a team. We're doing all three platforms at the same time. It's not that thing where it's just ported from the PC to the console. So, for example, on the playtest, everyone uses a controller.

Yeah, that's great. Now instead of porting from PC to console, you port from console to PC. Gee, thanks guys. If you're developing all platforms equally, shouldn't you be playtesting with mouse and keyboard too? id is pulling the same bullshit with Rage, where everyone has to playtest with a controller.

I really wish developers and publishers would cut the crap about multiplatform games being equal. They aren't. You have a lead SKU and everything else is a port. Only difference between this and a traditional port is that you're porting this stuff during development instead of after. Though, in the case of PC, you usually don't start porting until the end of the project anyway because you don't have to worry about certification. As much as I despise id for abandoning the PC, at least they are honest about it. Carmack has plainly stated that they are focusing on consoles because that's where the most money is at.

All the smart system does is that if you could make that jump or that leap -- plus 10 or 15 percent extra for coolness -- you can do it. That just stops you worrying about the interface. It [becomes], "Can I make that jump? Should I get behind this? Should I hang back and reload? Should I wait for another teammate?" We're just turning it so that that's the decision making process, not, "Which button do I press at what point?"

More bullshit. Games are about interaction. According to his logic, shooters should automatically aim and fire for you. After all, why should the player have to ask "What direction do I push the analog stick to aim left? And what button do I press to fire and when do I push it?" Another huge setback he doesn't mention is that the player can now only jump whenever the game wants him to. Can you imagine how badly this would have ruined Quake, Tribes or Deus Ex (which the dev even claims to love)?

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2009, 05:15.
Date
Subject
Author
Aug 1, 2009Aug 1 2009
Re: BRINK Interview
Aug 1, 2009Aug 1 2009
Aug 1, 2009Aug 1 2009
Aug 1, 2009Aug 1 2009
Aug 2, 2009Aug 2 2009
Aug 2, 2009Aug 2 2009
Aug 2, 2009Aug 2 2009
Aug 2, 2009Aug 2 2009