Champions Online Interview

Champions Online Interview on Ten Ton Hammer talking with Cryptic's Bill Roper about Champions Online, its Nemesis and Omega systems, and the high-level content they will offer players of the upcoming superhero MMORPG. The conversation goes into great detail, demonstrated by the fact that half the four-page article consists of the answers to two questions.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Ok maybe I was wrong..
Jul 30, 2009, 12:59
Re: Ok maybe I was wrong.. Jul 30, 2009, 12:59
Jul 30, 2009, 12:59

There we go, classic Cryptic. Couple that with Roper's nickel and diming micro-tranactions and we have CoX meets Hellgate. Can we just have DCUO already please?

Micro-transactions are probably not going to go away anytime soon. It costs more and more to develop games every generation, but gamers expect the prices to remain the same. I paid $15/mo for a subscription to Meridian 59 12 years ago and $15/mo is still the gold standard for MMOs, despite being many times more expensive to develop and support.

Developers/Publishers have to recoup their money and make a profit some way, and one of those ways is to offer optional content for players who can and want to give additional financial support to the game they enjoy. As long as this stuff is pure fluff, I've got no complaints. When it starts being radical, game-altering content, then I'll get up on the soapbox with you.

As for DCUO, wouldn't hold my breath for it. Word is it's still pretty far out on the horizon and might not come into the market until the 4th quarter of 2010, possibly 2011. Chances are pretty damn good that they'll be doing micro-transactions as well.

Jul 30, 2009, 12:46
Re: Ok maybe I was wrong.. Jul 30, 2009, 12:46
Jul 30, 2009, 12:46

Actually the game is quite different from CoH in almost every way.

Mind thats not necessarily a good thing.

I think it's a great thing. Some people were never going to be happy with what CoH is, so this gives them something else to play and maybe get them to stop incessantly lobbying for sweeping changes to make the game suit their tastes.

Or, more likely they'll just move to CO and incessantly lobby for sweeping change to make that game suit their tastes.

Competition is good.

Jul 30, 2009, 03:52
Re: Ok maybe I was wrong.. Jul 30, 2009, 03:52
Jul 30, 2009, 03:52

Different in what way? Is there lack of grind? Is there a story-line that actually involves you instead of a repeat of the same missions with different shapes and sizes?
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Jul 30, 2009, 00:49
Re: Ok maybe I was wrong.. Jul 30, 2009, 00:49
Jul 30, 2009, 00:49

Actually the game is quite different from CoH in almost every way.

Mind thats not necessarily a good thing.

Jul 30, 2009, 00:15
Re: Ok maybe I was wrong.. Jul 30, 2009, 00:15
Jul 30, 2009, 00:15

Then as you go through another nemesis story arc it might have some of the same stories or you might have some different challenges and showdowns, but even if you get one that you’ve been on before there are different things that can happen on the map because there’s a lot of randomness inside of those maps.

There we go, classic Cryptic. Couple that with Roper's nickel and diming micro-tranactions and we have CoX meets Hellgate. Can we just have DCUO already please?

Ok maybe I was wrong..
Jul 29, 2009, 23:56
Ok maybe I was wrong.. Jul 29, 2009, 23:56
Jul 29, 2009, 23:56

I noticed today that Champs Online sent out a email about what pre-orders will get goodies depending on where ya buy it.

I noticed something rather startling..

Amazon

The High Roller Pack is perfect for players who insist on the finest accoutrements for their avatar. With three unique, exclusive apparel options (harlequin headpiece, black knight helmet, grenade chest strap), and an additional five in-game micro-transaction dollars, you’ll have plenty of options to push your “High Roller” look.

If it's stuff like what Cryptic/Paragon did with the Packs for City of Heroes and you can use these 'micro-transaction dollars' on them I'm not overly miffed about it, but if it's for a helmet here, gloves there.... WTF?!?
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older