EVE Online Movie

CCP has released a new movie from EVE Online to illustrate "the butterfly effect" in the game, which has nothing to do with Ashton Kutcher. The clip highlights the impact of the actions of an individual on a game world that boasts a population of over 300,000. The clip is available on the YouTube, where there is also a high definition version.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: EVE Online Movie
Jul 30, 2009, 07:57
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 30, 2009, 07:57
Jul 30, 2009, 07:57

The flashy video was pointless. The type of marketing EVE needs is to explain the concept of “empire” and “insurance” to the people too terrified to even try the game. That about half of the 5k solar systems have NPC security forces that will protect you if you’re attacked, and that you can insure your ship so that you get your money back if it’s destroyed are two concepts the EVE-fearing public is almost never aware of.

It would interfere with the ‘hardstyle’ image of the game so they probably won’t do it.

Jul 30, 2009, 07:47
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 30, 2009, 07:47
Jul 30, 2009, 07:47

whoever it was early down whos "true version" of the video ended up in him getting podded needs to stop spewing utter crap.

there is only 2 ways youll get podded in lowsec, 1 smartbomb, 2 Utter frigging failure on the owner of the pod.

and its obviously not possible to kill a larger ship in a smaller one, and obviously not possible to solo. http://damt.lost-chapter.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1668 (ahem).

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2009, 07:50.
Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

Jul 29, 2009, 23:49
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 23:49
Jul 29, 2009, 23:49

here;s to hoping Black Proophecy is good

http://blackprophecy-game.com/

Hmm, this looks interesting, reminds me a lot of the eve universe looking at the website...

Signed up for beta. Might be interesting, downloading a gameply video atm.

Jul 29, 2009, 23:14
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 23:14
Jul 29, 2009, 23:14

Eve was way too much of a job and nothing like a game to me..
then the PvP griefing, the slow-ass pace of the game. I get it, if youre into that, it's great..

here;s to hoping Black Proophecy is good

http://blackprophecy-game.com/

Jul 29, 2009, 19:44
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 19:44
Jul 29, 2009, 19:44

Almost right. But to be even more accurate, the new player would never have gotten to the miner in the first place, because they would be blown up right as they decloaked out of the warpgate.

So. Fucking. True.

When I played a few months back...that might have been a year ago now!, sheesh, the most fun I had was using an alt character to go scout warp gates and monitor pirate activity. There is no way to get away, unless someone else happens to pop out of cloak and draw the attention of the pirates, you won't get away. "Interceptor" class ships are on you in seconds and have you locked down unable to get away.

The truth of this game is you can't play it alone, you need to be in groups, corporations, all the time. The whole idea that someone can loan wolf it and not get pwned every time you run into enemies is fantasy. And as a new player most combat is insanely stacked against you. Go play on the test server...you can see just how far behind you are against other players.

Jul 29, 2009, 18:08
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 18:08
Jul 29, 2009, 18:08

What about those who hang around asteroid belts and nap until their hull is full?

Jul 29, 2009, 17:39
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 17:39
Jul 29, 2009, 17:39

The Eve devs forgot to throw in that massive hand giving certain people expensive ships and items, etc. That actually happens in the game...the video? Please.

Jul 29, 2009, 17:24
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 17:24
Jul 29, 2009, 17:24

Dude: First of all, the pirates attacking one miner are going to be pitiful. There's no "BOOM, dead" in that situation, unless you're an NPC, so it's a choice. Also, months of training doesn't vanish with your expensive ship, or even with getting podded.

Secondly, the PVP doesn't find you unless you unless you're doing something reckless. I like your cat-and-mouse analogy, but think of it this way: unless you have back-up, you are a mouse in Eve. Even the strongest Titan will be destroyed by hordes of smaller ships, that's why you travel in fleets.

Don't act like dealing with other players is too much trouble. If you're absolutely unable to find a corp to play with in-game, go to the official messageboards and so who's recruiting.

All of which is completely meaningless to a new player who thinks they can "fend off some pirates" as referenced in the movie. Its just a blatent fabrication.

Don't get me wrong, I still play Eve from time to time, but it is certainly not the game that is portrayed in that video.

Jul 29, 2009, 16:43
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 16:43
Jul 29, 2009, 16:43

Dude: First of all, the pirates attacking one miner are going to be pitiful. There's no "BOOM, dead" in that situation, unless you're an NPC, so it's a choice. Also, months of training doesn't vanish with your expensive ship, or even with getting podded.

Secondly, the PVP doesn't find you unless you unless you're doing something reckless. I like your cat-and-mouse analogy, but think of it this way: unless you have back-up, you are a mouse in Eve. Even the strongest Titan will be destroyed by hordes of smaller ships, that's why you travel in fleets.

Don't act like dealing with other players is too much trouble. If you're absolutely unable to find a corp to play with in-game, go to the official messageboards and so who's recruiting.

Jul 29, 2009, 16:30
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 16:30
Jul 29, 2009, 16:30

Imagine you warp into an asteroid field and find a mining ship getting attacked by pirates, you decide to...DEAD. You died because the pirates attacking outnumbered you and insta-killed you with WAY BETTER WEAPONRY the instant you came out of warp, game just didn't realize how fast you died, so you thought you might have a choice. Now you're in a pod, what are you going...BOOM, dead. You should have tried to flee but they got you. Sorry try again later.

Almost right. But to be even more accurate, the new player would never have gotten to the miner in the first place, because they would be blown up right as they decloaked out of the warpgate.

Nice video. Absolutely no relevence to the real game, however.

Jul 29, 2009, 15:57
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 15:57

and when they do start to play I wonder if they might think they are playing a different game from the one advertised.

The part where that single action ends up with you in a massive awesome battle was ridiculous.

The way that video should have gone is this:

Imagine you warp into an asteroid field and find a mining ship getting attacked by pirates, you decide to...DEAD. You died because the pirates attacking outnumbered you and insta-killed you with WAY BETTER WEAPONRY the instant you came out of warp, game just didn't realize how fast you died, so you thought you might have a choice. Now you're in a pod, what are you going...BOOM, dead. You should have tried to flee but they got you. Sorry try again later.

What EVE needs at this point is to give players the experience they are showing in that clip. I do want to see all those big battles and participate in something larger but after spending 2 or 3 months training my butt off the game still feels like a game of cat and mouse where you are always the mouse.

One of the reason I left was because the missions you run in the game to earn points and what not seemed to max out with battleship combat. You never got to be part of something bigger. True there are chances to do that but you'll probably end up seeing your ship, equipment, and months worth of work vanish in moments. Some corps will simply pay for the losses in this case, IE supply stock ships with weapons but to even get to that level you need 6 months of training? AT LEAST? And most of that training will be under suicide circumstances where if someone comes near you the best plan is to run like fucking hell because you're chances of winning PvP combat while you're trying to work towards gaining new stuff (IE doing PvE) is a joke.

The video makes me want to play again, I admit that. I want to go jump in the game and fly around, but I know what the actual gameplay will be like 99% of the time. If they'd move that down to 90% of the time and let me run missions that have epic battles like that I might even stay for a few months.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2009, 16:00.

Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 15:57

Griefers paradise too.

Jul 29, 2009, 15:16
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 15:16
Jul 29, 2009, 15:16

yes 95% of the game time is dull.
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

Jul 29, 2009, 14:42
sir
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 14:42
Jul 29, 2009, 14:42
sir

Yes, excellent video, but it's not really representative of the glacier-like pace of the gameplay in EVE. There are a few comments on Youtube from people intending to sign up solely on the strength of the video, and when they do start to play I wonder if they might think they are playing a different game from the one advertised.

Jul 29, 2009, 14:41
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 14:41
Jul 29, 2009, 14:41

... 230 countries? Are the newest 35 hanging about in the Underdark or something?

Jul 29, 2009, 14:28
Re: EVE Online Movie Jul 29, 2009, 14:28
Jul 29, 2009, 14:28

Great video!
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older