Out of the Blue

I had a spate of incidents with spider webs a while back that prompted me to joke I thought they were trying to eat me, but since then my encounters with webs have reverted to a more expected (as in rarer) rate. This morning I was in the backyard with the dogs when I saw the Gunnar-man stretching a web across his chest that was so thick it was visible from a few feet away (it looked like he was crossing a finish line). This web had to be a bunch of strands bunched together to be so visible, and I wish I had a camera handy to record the scene, as it looked like the web might me large enough to actually trap him. Maybe the spiders gave up on me when they set their sights on him? Probably not, huh?

World Wide Web Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Lock 'n' Roll.
Pixelvader.
Boulder Dash.
Links: Videogames That Went M.I.A.
The 15 worst-reviewed games of the past 15 years.
Top 11 Video Game Worlds You DON'T Want to Live In.
Stories: Flight grounded by coffee maker aroma. Thanks Digg.
Guinea Pig Rampage. Replacing all those dead clownfish named "Nemo."
Science: New State of Matter- Transparent Aluminum. "Keyboard. How quaint." Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Media: Shatner Does Palin. Thanks Acleacius.
Giant Mousetrap Board Game.
'Heroes' season four trailer- 'Redemption'.
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 30, 2009, 02:29
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2009, 02:29
Jul 30, 2009, 02:29

These are the most common spiders in rural Namibia:

http://images.google.hr/images?hl=hr&q=Red+Roman+Spider&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=jF5wSsOeONbD_gbHv9ShCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1
Technically, that arachnid is not a true spider but a solifuge. No web, no poison.
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Jul 30, 2009, 00:47
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2009, 00:47
Jul 30, 2009, 00:47

Spider have never bothered me either - but I do notice a TON more this year.....probably because it has been so dry.

But - HOLY SHIT AM I READDICTED TO STREET FIGHTER!
Picked it up for 20 at GameStop new....and have been playing it all evening on the big screen for the 360. Wow. Brings back some memories.

I love the online play as well....better than plunking quarters in a smelly arcade....kinda.....well...at least I get to sit on my couch and drink beer while snot nosed little kids whoop me at battles.

Heroes trailer
Jul 29, 2009, 20:44
Heroes trailer Jul 29, 2009, 20:44
Jul 29, 2009, 20:44

Hmmmm, that does look somewhat good.

Season three was such a goddamn abortion of good television that I never even bothered to watch the final few episodes, but I may watch a few eps of season four to see if it gets any better.

Though if the "Claire turns lesbian, please dear God won't someone watch our show" gimmick is any indication, this show is gurgling out its last breath as I type this.

Amazing how they went from such a great first season to such a fucking travesty in a fairly short period of time.

Creston

Jul 29, 2009, 16:04
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2009, 16:04
Jul 29, 2009, 16:04

I fucking hate spiders. Little bastards are fine outside my house, eating all the damn bugs, but as soon as they come inside, their lives are forfeit.

Fortunately our cat is a spider-killing ninja.

New state of matter :

"''What we have created is a completely new state of matter nobody has seen before,""

Well, maybe that's because :

"While the invisible effect lasted for only an extremely brief period – an estimated 40 femtoseconds"

It was an invisible effect that lasted 40 femtoseconds?

Rolleyes

Creston

Jul 29, 2009, 14:54
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2009, 14:54
Jul 29, 2009, 14:54

Certain bugs bother me, but Spiders outweigh them all. My parents say back when I was still in the crib I got bit really bad one night, so that's probably why.

I fall into the spider-lover category... In fact I swatted a small one the other day when I mistook it for a mosquito, and was bothered about it for a day afterwards.

The funny thing is that with my affection for these arachnids, I'm not really fond of most insects, including ones that don't bite at all, even though a vast majority of spiders not only bite, but are venomous.

I think my least favorite bug is the Praying Mantis... I had a face-to-face with one as a kid, and it scared the hell out of me.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jul 29, 2009, 14:42
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2009, 14:42
Jul 29, 2009, 14:42

Spiders have never bothered me - I quite like them actually - although some other insects do.

Spiders suck. There's an old Penny Arcade comic from around 2002 or 2004 that depict my feelings exactly.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020607h.gif

Certain bugs bother me, but Spiders outweigh them all. My parents say back when I was still in the crib I got bit really bad one night, so that's probably why.

In any case, I flip out when I see one. And if it's a huge one then forget about it.

Back when I was a senior in HS I was sitting in a corner after my Phys Ed waiting for homeroom to start. I felt a little tingle on my arm and noticed that my arm and leg were covered in baby spiders. NOT COOL.

-EDIT-
Found the comic

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2009, 14:49.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Jul 29, 2009, 13:57
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2009, 13:57
Jul 29, 2009, 13:57

Spiders have never bothered me - I quite like them actually - although some other insects do.

Saw The Hangover last night finally and holy shitballs it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen (hence my new tagline). My stomach today is physically sore from laughing so hard. The scene watching the security footage at Mike Tyson's place almost made me pee my pants, as well as the photos at the end of the film. For any guy who's ever gone out with buddies, gotten completely FUBAR and done some really dumb shit this is the film for you, heh.

Jul 29, 2009, 10:38
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2009, 10:38
Jul 29, 2009, 10:38

I used to have arachnophobia as a kid....It was pretty bad, I couldnt think straight if I knew there was a spider in the same room as me, let alone see one.

During one of my summer holidays (or winter depending on your hemisphere) I went to work on a friends grape farm in Namibia.

These are the most common spiders in rural Namibia:

http://images.google.hr/images?hl=hr&q=Red+Roman+Spider&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=jF5wSsOeONbD_gbHv9ShCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

Needles to say I got over my arachnophobia pretty quickly during that month....

I have a nifty blue line!
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older