Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Operation Flashpoint 2 Announced

Operation Flashpoint™, the game that invented the conflict simulation genre, to return in 2008 reveals plans for a sequel for Bohemia Interactive Studios' military shooter. The sequel is being developed internally by Codemasters, and is slated for release in 2008:

Promising warfare on a scale never seen in a FPS, the biggest name in modern military simulation gaming will return in 2008 as Codemasters confirms that Operation Flashpoint™2 is in development for PC and major console formats.

Operation Flashpoint™2 will mark the long-awaited return of the total conflict simulator, which won international acclaim. Now in development, it is Codemasters Studios' most extensive R&D project to date. With the studio's largest development team ever assembled, Operation Flashpoint™2 has already benefited from over two years of pre-production on a closed set basis and will use a new FPS variant of Neon technology, the studio's proprietary middleware.

Building on the original game's heritage, Operation Flashpoint™2 will see the most realistic modelling of conflict scenarios in a new contemporary theatre of war. By offering a multitude of military disciplines, gameplay will deliver warfare more realistic and intense then ever before, while an extensive multiplayer component will create battles on an incredible scale.

Set to redefine the genre it created, Operation Flashpoint™2 is coming in 2008. Further details will be announced this summer; gamers can sign up for future development briefings online at: www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 20, 2007, 21:49 Shataan

The day they dumb down the Flashpoint games, is the day I will refuse to buy their games. Surely there is room in this freaking world for 1 measely realistic mil sim???? It is bad enough they chose to dumb down the R6 series with Vegas.

Not to mention the fact that there are next to no actual sims being made these days. Aaah those hedy days of Janes Longbow 2, and CFS I. *sigh* The flight sim dudes are so lucky Oleg did IL 2. If he didnt, Flight Sims`d be dead.

PC gaming may not be dead, but with the crap being released these days, it might as well be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 20, 2007, 13:35 Rebian

The "charm" of OFP 1 was what all the cheese gamers now rally against. Downtime and travel distance. The majority want all action all the time ala quake, and if you play something like DoD you can see that reflected in the online map popularity. Small 'orange' maps that drop everyone in a grinder with no reason to move any real distance.

OFP 1 had vast maps. You had to coordinate attacks and set up real strats and sometimes you'd be in a personnel carrier traveling on a road for 10-15 minutes realtime before you got to the action. Other times as spec ops you'd have to slowly move tree to tree for what seemed like hours to get the right shot in or to plant a satchel without being seen.

It was a different world. I hold no hopes that they won't appeal to the cheese gamers and make this like Battlefield where the action is non-stop.

26. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 20, 2007, 10:21 Killdozer

Good ol' multiplaters... I love those. If you didn't play multi (co-op) Opflash, you really missed out.

I don't hate multiplayer games, I'm just sick of the realistic war shooter. I didn't actually remember Op Flash having a multiplayer aspect, so I guess I did miss out.

All the recent stuff on TF2 point to it just being TF in shiny trousers. If shiny trousers are enough to make something ground breaking, I'm going to have to reassess the importance of MC Hammer's career.

I don't care if TF2 is ground-breaking. I just want it to be fun. I loved TFC, played all the time, and there were definitely some balance issues with the classes. I'm just glad to see that Valve seems concerned with making TF2 fun and not with accurately modeling the penetration depth of the Medic's needle gun or creating some in-depth near-future war scenario that explains why the two sides are trying to capture control points. Don't get me wrong, I've played those types of games and had a great time. I'm just ready for something that looks and plays different.

25. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 20, 2007, 00:42 Jerykk

Well, it is being adapted to be played on the consoles, so there you go....as far as it being "consolized"...how and compared to what?

Being adapted to be played on consoles = consolized. Though, I haven't actually read about any specific adaptations that would affect the PC version. In fact, from everything I've read, the PC version is being developed first and then ported to the consoles, so I don't think consolitis will be a factor. In general, a game that is consolized has less depth, overly simplstic controls, large hitboxes, bloated and inefficient menus, etc. Everything from level design to AI is affected by consolization, though.

24. too many?? Apr 19, 2007, 20:15 Shataan

"Too many FPS games try to go for either pure realism or CGI-movie realism"

are you speaking of visuals?
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 20:16.

23. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 19, 2007, 18:37 subx

Too many FPS games try to go for either pure realism or CGI-movie realism, something like this is at least a mildly different presentation.

The similarly cell shaded XIII was quite cool to begin with, but after a while you barely noticed it and the underlying gameplay was what really counted (in that case an average FPS). I know what you're saying about things at least being a bit different from the norm, but a new coat of paint isn't enough in my book.

22. No subject Apr 19, 2007, 17:55 EMkaEL

first screenshot.. OMG..!!

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/OpFlash2_newsimage_01.jpg

21. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 19, 2007, 16:56 Masa

Good ol' multiplaters... I love those. If you didn't play multi (co-op) Opflash, you really missed out.

Oh yeah...that one was actually damn good. I'm not too crazy about multiplayer games either, simply because most of them are just derivatives of one another (and people talk about TF2 going "consolized", considering the stale PC platform), and not wholly realistic.

Just the way you could jump in and control vehicles and combat...man, OpFlash '85 was ahead of its time. I'd even argue that it still is in many respects.

isn't Armed Assault the true sequel to Op Flash?

IIRC, it was what was supposed to be OpFlash 2, but when Bohemia and Codemaster's split, that went out the window.

but my impression of TF2 is that it's going to be consolized.

Well, it is being adapted to be played on the consoles, so there you go....as far as it being "consolized"...how and compared to what? The original TF was pretty goofy itself.

20. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 19, 2007, 16:22 MMORPGHoD

We shall see, but my impression of TF2 is that it's going to be consolized. After all, the latest delays seem to be for porting.

19. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war ga Apr 19, 2007, 15:04 kanniballl

I'm sorry but, what? All the recent stuff on TF2 point to it just being TF in shiny trousers. If shiny trousers are enough to make something ground breaking, I'm going to have to reassess the importance of MC Hammer's career.

I haven't followed it lately, but I was under the impression they were going a more cartoon route; like using cell shading or making the characters look like they were from a comic book (bright colors, dark lines, charicatured features, etc). And that this route was catching a lot of flack from some diehard TF fans.

I wouldn't call that ground breaking, but it's a nice change of pace from a FPS. Too many FPS games try to go for either pure realism or CGI-movie realism, something like this is at least a mildly different presentation.

So not groundbraking, and barely "different," but perhaps a little refreshing?

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 15:17.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war game? Apr 19, 2007, 14:36 subx

Hope more companies go Valve's route with TF2 and try something different...

I'm sorry but, what? All the recent stuff on TF2 point to it just being TF in shiny trousers. If shiny trousers are enough to make something ground breaking, I'm going to have to reassess the importance of MC Hammer's career.

17. No subject Apr 19, 2007, 14:23 Hump

isn't Armed Assault the true sequel to Op Flash?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: Another realistic.. Apr 19, 2007, 13:42 Reactor

Interesting multipost... hmmm...

15. Re: Another realistic.. Apr 19, 2007, 13:41 Reactor

"I couldn't care less about the multiplater, though. Too many realistic war games out there already."

Good ol' multiplaters... I love those. If you didn't play multi (co-op) Opflash, you really missed out. This game looks pretty... from the one screenshot, but I'm not going to expect it to have the same charm Opflash had, or I believe Armed Assault has.

Oh computer upgrade, where art thou?

14. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war game? Apr 19, 2007, 13:41 Reactor

"I couldn't care less about the multiplater, though. Too many realistic war games out there already."

Good ol' multiplaters... I love those. If you didn't play multi (co-op) Opflash, you really missed out. This game looks pretty... from the one screenshot, but I'm not going to expect it to have the same charm Opflash had, or I believe Armed Assault has.

Oh computer upgrade, where art thou?

13. Re: Another realistic multiplayer war game? Apr 19, 2007, 13:41 Reactor

Oh computer upgrade... where art thou?

12. Another realistic multiplayer war game? Apr 19, 2007, 12:40 Killdozer

I really liked the first Operation Flashpoint. If this has a similar single-player campaign I'll check it out. I couldn't care less about the multiplater, though. Too many realistic war games out there already. Hope more companies go Valve's route with TF2 and try something different...

11. No subject Apr 19, 2007, 12:32 Shadow=ASP=

Klotz is right. OFP2 has nothing to do with BIS (the devs of OFP1, Arma & "game2").
OFP2 is made in-house by CM with an engine they so far have made a rally game on
Good luck with making a combat sim on it, CM.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 12:32.

10. Re: Keep it REAL! Apr 19, 2007, 12:16 Klotz

The Operation Flashpoint trademark belongs to Codemasters, Bohemia Interactive are not involved in this at all. I don't expect this game to be nearly as good as OFP 1.
The successor to OFP/ArmA by BI has not been named yet and is being referred to as simply "Game 2".

9. Re: Keep it REAL! Apr 19, 2007, 11:58 The Half Elf

Question should be are any of the team from OpFlash 1 working on OpFlash 2? Opflash 1 did come out on Xbox but it was a nightmare compaired to the PC version control wise.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo