Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

The Hollywood Reporter notes there's a health update from Alex Trebek on Twitter discussing his cancer battle, and Alex says he's "feeling good" and will return to host the next season of Jeopardy. We're among the many wishing for the best for the host, who practically seems like family after all these years. In fact, we just had a Jeopardy marathon party last night with the twins and their folks. In truth it was a playing with blocks party for the kids, while the grown-ups caught up on a bunch of recent episodes on the DVR. You would never guess Alex has health issues if he hadn't announced them, so here's hoping he's doing as well as he looks.

Quizzical Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Anti Terrorist Rush 2. Requires Flash.
Links: Olyphant Talks Hesitancy About "Deadwood" Film.
Stories: Lucasfilm Open To Future "Knights" Adaptation.
Boonrod the dog rescued 135 miles off coast of Thailand by oil rig workers. Thanks Capela.
'A Woman Of No Importance': American Spy Virginia Hall Finally Gets Her Due. Thanks RedEye9.
Science:
(Thanks Max)
Pig Brains Partly Revived By Scientists Hours After Animals Died.
Is Dentistry a Science?
Physicists spot the signatures of nuclear fusion in a table-top device.
Liquid Blood Extracted From 42,000-Year-Old Foal Found Frozen in Siberia. Jur-horsic Park.
Media: How Computers Ruined Rock Music.
Robot Chariot Racing Still Needs Work.
Angry Rhino Charges.
Follow-up: Washington state’s efforts to tighten vaccine requirements appeared headed for defeat.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Released Apr 23, 2019, 20:48 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 23, 2019, 20:25:
Oh wow you caught me, I was being facetious. That said, I think I will wait more than 15 episodes before rendering a significant judgment. While not necessarily dependent on quality, there is some value in longevity.

Cool beans. Cool

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2019, 20:25 Mr. Tact

Oh wow you caught me, I was being facetious. That said, I think I will wait more than 15 episodes before rendering a significant judgment. While not necessarily dependent on quality, there is some value in longevity.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2019, 20:16 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 23, 2019, 19:18:
Let me know when they have completed seven full seasons...

So is that what you measure success by? So based on that I should assume you think Babylon 5 was a failure.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2019, 19:18 Mr. Tact

Let me know when they have completed seven full seasons...  

27. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Released Apr 23, 2019, 19:14 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 04:21:
That a season 2 of ST: Discovery even exists is a pretty big spoiler, IMO.

Surprise! Smash

26. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2019, 04:21 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 14:50:
Blue wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 07:34:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 19:45:
Season Two finale of Star Trek Discovery is out today.

No spoiler tags?

No. Nothing I wrote is a spoiler.

That a season 2 of ST: Discovery even exists is a pretty big spoiler, IMO.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: etc. Apr 19, 2019, 14:50 Kxmode

Blue wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 07:34:

No spoiler tags?

No. Nothing I wrote is a spoiler.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2019, 08:18 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 17:42:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 17:27:
Capella wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 16:19:
Really hope Alex can pull through...

Unless they caught it in the very early part of stage 1, pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. It's just a matter of when.
He has stage 4 .
According to the Mayo Clinic website, "Pancreatic cancer typically spreads rapidly to nearby organs. It is seldom detected in its early stages."

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2019, 07:34  Blue 

No spoiler tags?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: Out of the Blue - Alex Trebek Apr 19, 2019, 07:14 Jonjonz

Poor Alex, the odds are not in his favor in this category.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2019, 06:23 NKD

Season 2 Discovery finale was fucking epic. I do not have enough praise to give Anson Mount's Christopher Pike all that he deserves. He's been on fire all season.  

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 21:36 1badmf

Speaking of Jeopardy the guy on there now is kicking some serious ass! 10-day total over 600k. He holds the top 3 single day winnings.

Really hope Alex can pull through. It just won't be the same with him not hosting.

surprised no previous winners adopted his strategy, considering they're all borderline geniuses. knowing the answers is only half the battle - to win big he also has buzzer discipline down to a science, and ALWAYS bets big with daily doubles, usually the whole stack. makes sense when you consider historically contestants get daily doubles right 80% of the time so it's worth the risk to double your stack. any gambler would take those odds in a heartbeat, and yeah, he's a professional gambler.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 19:45 Kxmode

Here's my review of the last previous episode and season two in general: "Star Trek Discovery Season 2 Episode 13 was fantastic! For the first time we get to see the interior of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and it does NOT disappoint. They got so many details right that I had to rewatch several time to take it all in. But off-hand they had the turn-handle device in the turbolift! And the bridge: holy moly. No expense was spared (displays, sounds, the captain's chair; this IS the Enterprise from TOS just modernized). So much attention to detail. Beyond that, the performances from all were spectacular with a special nod to Sonequa Martin-Green (as Michael Burnham) and Anson Mount (as a stellar Christopher Pike). If you've not watched the show, I highly recommend starting with Season 2. The part-2 finale airs next week, so you have time to binge-catch-up. I hear the show is going in a radical new direction that will completely resync it with the TOS/prime timeline. What that is I don't know. Have to wait until next week and season three."

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2019, 20:30.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 17:42 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 17:27:

Unless they caught it in the very early part of stage 1, pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. It's just a matter of when.
He has stage 4 .

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 17:27 Burrito of Peace

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 16:19 Capella

Speaking of Jeopardy the guy on there now is kicking some serious ass! 10-day total over 600k. He holds the top 3 single day winnings.

Really hope Alex can pull through. It just won't be the same with him not hosting.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 15:50 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 14:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 14:19:
Hey Blue,

How's the healing process going? Just checking in to make sure you don't have leg cancer or something.

It's actually feeling much better today. MrsBlue gave me a foam roller that helped me work out the pain in my ass, so to speak, and the pain around the knee seems to have subsided a bit as well.

It probably doesn't hurt that the rainy weather has cut Jedi and me down to one walk a day for the past couple of days. Also, one of the notes I saw about what I was experiencing attributed this to having a very long stride while walking or running. Since this is an accurate description of my gait, I've been trying to remember to take shorter steps.
Glad that you are feeling better! Another preventative measure you can take is stretching after you walk while your muscles are still warm. Here's a good guide.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 14:37  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 14:19:
Hey Blue,

How's the healing process going? Just checking in to make sure you don't have leg cancer or something.

It's actually feeling much better today. MrsBlue gave me a foam roller that helped me work out the pain in my ass, so to speak, and the pain around the knee seems to have subsided a bit as well.

It probably doesn't hurt that the rainy weather has cut Jedi and me down to one walk a day for the past couple of days. Also, one of the notes I saw about what I was experiencing attributed this to having a very long stride while walking or running. Since this is an accurate description of my gait, I've been trying to remember to take shorter steps.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 14:19 jdreyer

Hey Blue,

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2019, 14:17 jdreyer

Physicists spot the signatures of nuclear fusion in a table-top device.

Call it Mr. Fusion if you like, just don't call it cold fusion.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo