Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I've been suffering with some odd leg pains the past couple of days. My left hamstring has been bugging me both where it meets the butt and where it attaches to the outside of the knee. I was not optimistic that Doctor Google could help with this, since it would probably focus on things I am not suffering from like a hamstring tear or strain. But after some prodding from MrsBlue I did search around a bit, and was able to find a couple of things that could help explain this, such as hamstring tendonitis or hamstring syndrome. I'll do a little more reading on this to see where it leads me, but what I seen initially suggests rest is going to be part of the process for getting past this. That's not making me happy, as I've put in a few miles of dog walking a day for years now. All that walking may well be at the root of the problem, but it's not going to make me happy if I have to curtail it, as it's something I really enjoy. Jedi the Jindo would not be thrilled either. But something needs to happen here... it's to the point where I'm actually considering calling the doctor. I know! Crazy talk!

R.I.P.: Georgia Engel, Sweet-Voiced Star Of 'Mary Tyler Moore Show,' Dies At 70.
R.I.P.: Warren Adler Dead- Author of ‘The War of the Roses’ Was 91.

Hamstrung Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Emperors on Ice.
Stories: Macron vows to rebuild Notre Dame within five years, a breakneck pace for a monumental project.
Notre Dame fire: Macron's five-year rebuilding pledge is unrealistic, experts warn.
Tolkien was right- Scholars conclude Beowulf likely the work of single author.
Science: CRISPR gene editing has been used on humans in the US.
As Ebola outbreak rages, vaccine is 97.5% effective, protecting over 90K people. Thanks RedEye9 and Max.
Employee Wellness Programs Yield Little Benefit, Study Shows.
Media: Game of Thrones Vs. Vanilla Ice.
James Corden's parents watch 'Game of Thrones' for the first time and it's an absolute riot.
100 Greatest One-Liners: Before The Kill.
Follow-up: Anti-vax moms sue NYC as US heads toward record measles spread.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2019, 23:22 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 14:26:
Hey Blue, an hour of walking a day is good exercise, but it's not enough. Don't forget to get up and walk around for 5m every hour. I'm sure you're sitting all day, and the 5-minute-of-moving-per-hour rule is being shown to reduce incidence of all kinds of diseases and health problems. You've posted several stories on this over the years, so I'm sure you're aware, but this is a reminder. We're not getting any younger!
My old body hates to be idled so I am forced to move around often. I also try to do my daily mile walks too with lots of hard uphills!

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Employee Wellness Apr 18, 2019, 01:44 Rectal Prolapse

ldonyo wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 12:47:
A "study" of employees at one retailer for 18 months is hardly enough to base any meaningful conclusion upon. We have these where I work and I know that, for myself, it has made a tremendous difference in my physical activity level. Plus, I now get a flu shot every year, which did not happen prior to my working here beginning nearly 10 years ago.
This might interest you - seems better than the previous article.

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2019, 01:43 Rectal Prolapse

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 14:29:
Yeah, if it was an ebola outbreak in NYC instead of a measles outbreak, they'd get their vaccinations right quick.

But first they can hold ebola parties like they do with measles!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 18:40 Mr. Tact

Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Plans

Have a buddy who swears by it, learned about it from his father who still runs marathons.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 17:30 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 14:26:
Hey Blue, an hour of walking a day is good exercise, but it's not enough. Don't forget to get up and walk around for 5m every hour. I'm sure you're sitting all day, and the 5-minute-of-moving-per-hour rule is being shown to reduce incidence of all kinds of diseases and health problems. You've posted several stories on this over the years, so I'm sure you're aware, but this is a reminder. We're not getting any younger!

It's more about duration and intensity. 10 minutes walking at a fast pace is better for you than an hour of sauntering along, or ambling if you choose. I enjoy a good amble. Anyway...I work out Mon (cardio & legs), Wed (all cardio), Fri (cardio and upper body) 60-90 mins per session. I was going to start doing HIIT training on Tues/Thors/Sat end of the month but I have to go for surgery on May 8 so I'll have to wait for June. I've talked to a lot of people who do similar workouts and they all say that HIIT was what really upped the game and gets you off plateauing. I've seen one or two BBC docs on it as well and they sing its praises as being far better and far more efficient overall. For cardio I row on a Concept 2 - 3X10min intervals and it just crushes me. But I dig it and it's the best (most efficient) combined strength and cardio exercise there is. So learn to row. The great thing about HIIT is you can do it without or absolute minimal equipment.

The good people from Johnson & Johnson (I wonder what The Dude thinks of that company?) put out a free HIIT workout app - J&J Official 7 Minute Workout and it's awesome. The guy who put it together creates workout regimens for militaries all over the world so there's no fuckin' around. I know you mentioned you run a lot so you might like this. It's free at any rate.

Thumbsup

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 17:21 mellis

If you think it's Tendinitis or any ligament/muscular inflammation I would suggest you try Arnica Cream.

Administer a good dollop around the affected area (rump) and massage evenly down towards the knee, following the tendon (typically massaging on the inside of the leg if it's Tendinitis).

Continue and massage evenly around the ball of the foot and heel, the inside of the leg (foot to knee) following the tendon to the knee.

Massage well until fully absorbed before bed and repeat again in the morning, applying to clean skin (ideally after a shower). Repeat until everything is resolved or noticeably better, typically 2-3 days.

It will reduce swelling but also seems to have some beneficial properties that promote healing. Stuff is a miracle in a tube.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 17:00 Avus

Terrorists definitely like these anti-vax mom... save them a lot of resource to kill American.  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 16:48 jdreyer

CRISPR gene editing has been used on humans in the US.

I knew the X-Men movies weren't made with CG! I knew it!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 16:31 Muscular Beaver

If you are really surprised about this anti-vax, newly strengthened flat earthers, etc, then you clearly havent paid attention how journalist, politicians and even scientists have ruined their reputation themselves with their greed and lies and thus less and less people trusting what they say, no matter how "official" it is.

I said this many many years ago, and here we are...

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 14:36 Riahderymnmaddog

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 10:12:
Anti-vax mom needs a trip to Ebola country. After a few moments of seeing humans w/blood streaming from their tear ducts she'll change her mind.

Why? they would just point out that 97.5% effective clearly means it does not work.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 14:29 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 10:12:
Anti-vax mom needs a trip to Ebola country. After a few moments of seeing humans w/blood streaming from their tear ducts she'll change her mind.

Yeah, if it was an ebola outbreak in NYC instead of a measles outbreak, they'd get their vaccinations right quick.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 14:26 jdreyer

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 14:20 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 12:47:
There's no opting out of seatbelt laws and you can't sue over that, so why aren't vaccines treated the same way?

We don't ticket people that don't get vaccinated. Yet.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 14:18 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 11:09:
Blue wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 10:48:
I usually don't sweat rants directed at me, but since you called me ban happy I thought I'd oblige you.

xD BURN!

Strange... lots of shit happens in the comment section, sometimes just short of slinging feces, yet, not many bans ( AFAIK ).

I would bet you ban less than 5/year...

I admit I laughed out loud at Blue's comment. Good thing I was the only one home.

I'll bet most of the bans have been repeat offenders or spambots. I bet Space Captain alone accounts for over half of them.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 13:53 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 11:26:
That number sounds right. Do Aces ban and Suppa7's ban count as one (or 2) since they are the same person? /rhetorical

And what I don't get with the Aces account is they created an account just to get banned. Where's the logic in that?

Look, I know I come off as unhinged sometime and I have explained why but I don't think I've ever purposefully decided to be such a raging dick that it warranted bannination. So...thanks Blue?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 12:47 Cutter

There's no opting out of seatbelt laws and you can't sue over that, so why aren't vaccines treated the same way?

War of the Roses. Such a great flick. Haven't watched it in ages.

Gavin: Why don't you let her have the house? There are other houses. And other women.

Oliver: No, no, no. l'm going to win because l've got her to accept the ground rules!

Gavin: Oliver, there is no winning in this. lt's only degrees of losing.

Oliver: I've got more square footage.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

11. Re: Employee Wellness Apr 17, 2019, 12:47 ldonyo

A "study" of employees at one retailer for 18 months is hardly enough to base any meaningful conclusion upon. We have these where I work and I know that, for myself, it has made a tremendous difference in my physical activity level. Plus, I now get a flu shot every year, which did not happen prior to my working here beginning nearly 10 years ago.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 12:30 Nimh

Blue, If it's a muscular issue I'd suggest seeing an osteopath. New York state has this controlling org., http://www.nysoms.org/.

A medical doctor is not going to help much, outside of subscribing pain medications and maybe some stretches/exercises. They may be able to refer you to a physical therapist or osteopath however, which would help you more directly.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 11:26 RedEye9

That number sounds right. Do Aces ban and Suppa7's ban count as one (or 2) since they are the same person? /rhetorical

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2019, 11:09 Simon Says

Blue wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 10:48:
I usually don't sweat rants directed at me, but since you called me ban happy I thought I'd oblige you.

xD BURN!

Strange... lots of shit happens in the comment section, sometimes just short of slinging feces, yet, not many bans ( AFAIK ).

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo