Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support

Hello Games announces a new update for No Man's Sky adds support for the Vulkan graphics API to the space exploration game. This is part of the optimizations coming to the game for the upcoming No Man's Sky Beyond update they recently announced, but they have decided they are going to add it to the current version as well. This is beginning with a test on the Experimental Branch before it officially goes live, and they have instructions and warnings for those willing to test it. Here's word:

As this is a large change – a complete overhaul of the graphics API – we will roll it out first to the PC Experimental branch, whilst we perform wider compatibility testing with the help of the brave experimental branch players.

In future it will be rolled out to all players.

The patch notes are as follows:

• OpenGL has been replaced by Vulkan. Many players, particularly players with AMD graphics cards, should see a performance improvement
  • Revised HDR support, updated output curve in line with advances in HDR calibration
  • Adaptive and Triple-Buffered V-Sync are now selectable from Graphics Settings
  • Players with more than one GPU can now select which is used from Graphics Settings
  • Changing the following settings no longer require restarting:
    • Window Mode
    • Resolution
    • V-Sync
    • Shadow Detail
    • Reflection Quality
  • The ‘LOADING SHADERS’ load step has been removed, improving the loading experience.
  • Crash data is gathered via Steam to help us track down and fix issues.

As always, thank you to all players who use Experimental and take the time to report any issues you encounter.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Apr 20, 2019, 09:49 RedEye9

Rigs wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 09:29:
Some of you people amaze me that you just can't let this go. You hold onto it like a cherished teddy. It was two years ago! GET OVER IT ALREADY! Yes, Sean said some things that didn't become reality at launch but have since been added. The game is even >more< now than what was promised at launch! All I ever hear is Sean Murray lied about this, Sean Murray lied about that, Sean Murray ate my baby! Pretty sure that last one was a dingo but, hey, why not, right? Do you not realize that more than likely he had SONY breathing down his neck, telling him what to say? They invested heavily in the game and you don't think once they realized the hype building for it they didn't try to squeeze every last cent out of gamers? I blame SONY 100%. Sean Murray was between a rock and a hard place and did what he had to. Say whatever it was SONY wanted him to, get the game out, add everything not there after launch to make up for it not being there from the start, all for FREE! TWO YEARS OF EXPANSION-SIZE UPDATES FOR FREE! No fucking loot boxes, no cosmetic DLC bullshit. Everything is added at no cost. But I see no one lauding them for that! Nope, let's just keep kicking this pile of dusty bones that once was a dead horse...

=-Rigs-=
your points are valid
and this is with a nmsky thread that has had much less sperging out. So we're getting better.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Apr 20, 2019, 09:29 Rigs

Some of you people amaze me that you just can't let this go. You hold onto it like a cherished teddy. It was two years ago! GET OVER IT ALREADY! Yes, Sean said some things that didn't become reality at launch but have since been added. The game is even >more< now than what was promised at launch! All I ever hear is Sean Murray lied about this, Sean Murray lied about that, Sean Murray ate my baby! Pretty sure that last one was a dingo but, hey, why not, right? Do you not realize that more than likely he had SONY breathing down his neck, telling him what to say? They invested heavily in the game and you don't think once they realized the hype building for it they didn't try to squeeze every last cent out of gamers? I blame SONY 100%. Sean Murray was between a rock and a hard place and did what he had to. Say whatever it was SONY wanted him to, get the game out, add everything not there after launch to make up for it not being there from the start, all for FREE! TWO YEARS OF EXPANSION-SIZE UPDATES FOR FREE! No fucking loot boxes, no cosmetic DLC bullshit. Everything is added at no cost. But I see no one lauding them for that! Nope, let's just keep kicking this pile of dusty bones that once was a dead horse...

i5 2500k, radeon 580, 8 gb ram. The game is by far the worst performing game game I've played on my PC. When I approach space stations my fps will dip down to 10-15 and when I'm running around on planets it's usually between 25-30.

Huh, my specs are nearly identical except for graphics card.

I have a 1st gen Corei5/750, RTX 2060/6gb and 20gb DDR3 RAM and have absolutely NO issues with frame rate with NMS. Most games I have are CPU-bottlenecked (for obvious reasons) but aside from a bit of slowdown when cruising low to the ground (as it tries to load all the flora and fauna in), I've had zero issues. Could be an AMD only thing, dunno. I'd check it with my HD7850/1gb but I think that's probably going too far in the other direction...lol...

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Apr 17, 2019, 16:52 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 13:36:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 22:28:
Desalus wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 21:56:
The performance of this game on my PC is pretty awful so I'm glad to see they are working on this.

What are your specs? My machine is almost 7 years old and it runs great at 1920x1200. Gtx670.

i5 2500k, radeon 580, 8 gb ram. The game is by far the worst performing game game I've played on my PC. When I approach space stations my fps will dip down to 10-15 and when I'm running around on planets it's usually between 25-30.

Huh, my specs are nearly identical except for graphics card.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 17, 2019, 14:10 saluk

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 03:12:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 00:38:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 22:31:
I do wonder how these guys will stay solvent if they keep adding to this game for free. Not complaining, but don't want them to go out of business either.

The game sold incredibly well?

Perhaps? I remember a lot of people saying that they returned it when it first launched...

Returns were likely significant enough to notice but not enough to downgrade from a massive success to anything that the balance sheet can consider a failure. Even among vocal critics, the percentage of people who go through the trouble to make a return is pretty low. And a lot of those who were disappointed probably figured, "well it sucks now, maybe it will be improved later".

Also consider that every time a free update is released, the game sells more copies. If you release a paid expansion this also happens, but then new players are looking at the base cost + expansion cost and that can be a slowing factor rather than a speeding one.

Paid content tends to only be purchased by active players who already have the game, the fact that the updates have all been free is both commendable but probably also makes the most business sense.

16. The Many Lies of Sean Murray Apr 17, 2019, 13:56 Hanneth

DrEvil wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 11:49:
Everything that was actually promised was there at launch unless you believe conspiracy theories or pretend English doesn’t have context and subtext.
Yes, content matters, let me show you the lies of Sean Murray. Most of the videos people link to were within the last month before No Man's Sky released. As this had a disk release it meant that the game went gold (was completed) at least a month before. A quick search shows it went gold on July 7, 2016. Released August 8, 2016 for PS4, August 12, 2016 PC.

After it went gold, Sean Murray started to do press interviews and appearances on TV.
A short list of what he talked about:
-Being able to fly between galaxies if you want
-Something amazing at the centre of the universe
-You can run into other people on the same planet
-You will be able to play with your friends
-Name things and other people coming to that planet will see your names permanently
-Massive space battles with two sides that you can join in with one side
-Making friends with races
-Large number of unique procedurally generated spacecraft
-Planets rotating around the sun
-Landing on asteroids
-Destroying entire space stations
-*Early tech demo being used to represent final game up to, and post release*

Okay, so people were amazed when they made it to the centre of the universe and the game and there wasn't anything, the game just reset. I know since then they've added more, but the released game didn't have that.

Some of these other things have been added since, but Sean was saying these were already in the game, after he knew exactly what had made it in, and what had been cut.

Using the early tech demo to represent the final game was a complete and blatant lie! It is one thing to capture in game footage and try to find the stuff that looks the best, it is another thing to use something that while at one point it looked like that, doesn't represent the final product.

Now some of these things are minor, but it doesn't change the fact that he lied about them. Also, with the naming of things, why did he lie about that. I don't know what it is now, but they made the design choice that names would only be kept for, I think, 1 week. Why say it is permanent, when you know it isn't?

The multi-player part was what really ticked people off. The PS4 cover did not list multi-player. It wasn't until launch day that they put a message up on their web site saying that there was no multi-player. Until that point, multi-player was heavily hyped by Murray in many interviews.

While I don't think the response of death threats was warranted, there is overwhelming evidence that Murray lied, continued to lie, then lied in his defense of his lies.

15. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Apr 17, 2019, 13:36 Desalus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 22:28:
The performance of this game on my PC is pretty awful so I'm glad to see they are working on this.

What are your specs? My machine is almost 7 years old and it runs great at 1920x1200. Gtx670.

14. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 17, 2019, 13:22 RedEye9

Nullity wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 13:05:
DrEvil wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 11:48:
intermarer wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 06:22:
Isn't this the game where they told blatant lies and did massive misleadings before release? What's with all the goodwill here?

No, you’re thinking of some other game.
Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 08:16:
They did a 180º turn and they're delivering new content and features for free. Nice of them.
Still, I don't know if items that were promised at launch are in the game now.

Everything that was actually promised was there at launch unless you believe conspiracy theories or pretend English doesn’t have context and subtext.
Found Sean Murray's BluesNews account.
Mr Murray is a sneaky one. He's been lying in wait since the early aughts.

13. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 17, 2019, 13:05 Nullity

DrEvil wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 11:48:
Isn't this the game where they told blatant lies and did massive misleadings before release? What's with all the goodwill here?

They did a 180º turn and they're delivering new content and features for free. Nice of them.

Found Sean Murray's BluesNews account.

12. Re: Street Fighter V New Character & Patch Plans Apr 17, 2019, 11:49 DrEvil

11. Re: Street Fighter V New Character & Patch Plans Apr 17, 2019, 11:48 DrEvil

10. Re: Street Fighter V New Character & Patch Plans Apr 17, 2019, 08:16 Pr()ZaC

9. Re: Street Fighter V New Character & Patch Plans Apr 17, 2019, 06:22 intermarer

8. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 17, 2019, 03:12 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 00:38:
I do wonder how these guys will stay solvent if they keep adding to this game for free. Not complaining, but don't want them to go out of business either.

Perhaps? I remember a lot of people saying that they returned it when it first launched...

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 17, 2019, 00:38 HorrorScope

6. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 16, 2019, 23:43 Rhett

Indeed. I know several people - myself included - that would gladly pay for an expansion. I want more ship and weapon variety, myself.  

5. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 16, 2019, 22:31 jdreyer

4. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Apr 16, 2019, 22:28 jdreyer

3. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Apr 16, 2019, 21:56 Desalus

2. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 16, 2019, 19:12 NKD

REEEEEEEEEEEE How dare they release a free performance update! I want an APOLOGY for SEAN MURRAY LITERALLY RAPING ME instead!!! REEEEEEEEEEEE  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

1. Re: No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support Apr 16, 2019, 18:59 RedEye9

oh noes
Another free update and a performance one if your on Team Red. woot

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo