Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Metaverse

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2019, 11:24 HorrorScope

Hydra wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 13:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 12:31:
Isn't YouTube Red now $50 per month? $7 per month for Disney sounds like a deal... assuming you have an interest in their content.

YouTube Red is $9.99 per month.

Disney's streaming service will suffer from their movies being in theaters, being available for purchase, and from being available on HBO and other networks that allow you to DVR them.

That impacts Netflix as well, but only for content Netflix is allowed to rebroadcast. It doesn't impact Netflix original content because that isn't (generally) released anywhere other than Netflix. Disney doesn't have this model. They have to release their mass market content to theaters, cable networks, dvd/blu-ray/4k sales because that's where the majority of their film revenue comes from.

Unless Disney comes up with something far more compelling than "Pay me to watch movies you already own or can watch somewhere else", I don't see any reason to subscribe.

Disney makes plenty of content that doens't make it to theaters an it sounds like they are making more just for this. I rarely go to the theaters and at about the same clip buy dvd's. I'm pretty sure there are millions like that. It will all depend on the overall content they are going to let us in on and the new theater releases will come in the same time, instead of Netflix, Disney.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2019, 11:17 Mr. Tact

Scotland held an independence referendum in Sept. 2014 and 55% voted to stay in the UK. Then Brexit happened in Jun 2016. Since then straight from the Wiki:
There has since been debate about whether there should be a second Scottish independence referendum, or if it is possible for Scotland to maintain links with the EU after the UK leaves. On 16 March 2017, Prime Minister Theresa May stated that "now is not the time" to discuss another referendum, because the focus should be on "working together, not pulling apart" for Brexit negotiations. That month, Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland and leader of the SNP, announced she would seek Scottish Parliament approval to negotiate with the UK Government for a Section 30 order enabling a second independence referendum, which would take place between late 2018 and early 2019, "when the shape of the UK's Brexit deal will become clear"; this approval was obtained on 28 March. At the end of March, The First Minister sent the formal request to the UK Government for a Section 30 order. To date, there has been no formal response from the UK Government.

SNP support for a second referendum was suggested to be a contributory factor to the party losing seats in the 2017 United Kingdom general election. The party won 35 of the 59 Scottish seats, 21 fewer seats than in the 2015 election. On 27 June 2017, Sturgeon declared that her government would reset the referendum plan to delay it until after the Brexit process has finished.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2019, 11:08 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 09:30:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 22:07:
LOL. The country is pro remain, but enough conservative MPs want to exit that no vote can pass.
I wouldn't go that far, there are plenty of pro exit people. Unfortunately, like many Trump supporters, many of the people who are supporting the idea are doing it for the "wrong" reasons or for reasons which aren't actually fact, or without knowing/acknowledging the positives of being part of the EU.

There is a higher density of remainers Scotland and Northern Ireland. A bigger concern in my mind is Brexit might cause the break up of the United Kingdom. I wouldn't say it is likely, but it certainly raises the chances.

What's going on with that Scottish referendum for independence from the UK?

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2019, 09:30 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 22:07:
LOL. The country is pro remain, but enough conservative MPs want to exit that no vote can pass.
I wouldn't go that far, there are plenty of pro exit people. Unfortunately, like many Trump supporters, many of the people who are supporting the idea are doing it for the "wrong" reasons or for reasons which aren't actually fact, or without knowing/acknowledging the positives of being part of the EU.

There is a higher density of remainers Scotland and Northern Ireland. A bigger concern in my mind is Brexit might cause the break up of the United Kingdom. I wouldn't say it is likely, but it certainly raises the chances.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse- Cheap Disney, Not Apr 13, 2019, 06:54 Jonjonz

If you are at all familiar with corporate Disney, you know they always find ways to charge the maximum amount the market will bear.

This $7 deal is just a temporary door opener. It is only a matter of a few months before they roll out tiered pricing that favors whales.

They can get away with it as they control a huge library of quality content and have few competitors with similar libraries or the retail/theme park cash cows to prop them up while they take market share.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 22:07 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 16:32:
https://thebrexitparty.com
it's good stuff
Nigel Farage wants to register a huge victory in the European elections, but he can't even register his own website

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 21:57 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 10:53:
The Brexit trolls should be shot, it should never have gone to a popular vote. What a fuster cluck.
Every time Putin sees a Credit story in the news, he laughs his ass off.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 21:55 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 10:12:
Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 10:08:
Pretty steep price to start with for something that will have a bare minimum amount of content. And of course, it'll be $9.99 within a few years.

Not sure there's much value there, unless you are huge Star Wars or Marvel fan.

Or a fan of The Simpsons, since it will have every episode ever, or a fan of every Disney movie ever (other than Song of the South), or a fan of Jeff Goldblum walking around narrating things (who wouldn't be?!)

Doesn't seem steep to me - seems like it's suddenly the best option for families with young kids, and a good option for almost anyone.

Yeah, actually Half the price I was expecting. I'm tempted.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 16:32 RedEye9

https://thebrexitparty.com
it's good stuff

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 15:57 Jivaro

"But what would Texas do without me?" -Ted Cruz

L O L

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 15:47 Beamer

Jivaro wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 15:41:
the same problem the politicians over here have...they believe their propaganda instead of the facts.

The Brits very much have this issue.
What I don't know is if they have the other issue we have - that the politicians feel the most important thing for ensuring the benefits to their constituency is preserving their own political longevity, even if preserving their own political longevity requires doing things bad for your constituency. That's a bad sentence, but what I mean is our politicians often seem to think that the worst thing for the people would be them, personally, being voted out, so doing things bad for their people in order to get re-elected is ok, because the bad decision made to ensure re-election is better than some other guy being elected.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 15:41 Jivaro

Disney+
I am surprised it's so cheap. Most people will do that and not even consider dropping anything else until it's obvious they don't need it. Whatever "it" may be...even Disney+

I suspect the Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu super combo package will come soon from Disney. I hope so anyway.

I am glad I have a PS4 on the TVs in both "family" rooms because it looks like MS and Nintendo are trying to throw some weight up against Disney to negotiate more lucrative contracts...and I just don't think Disney is negotiating down to anyone right now. For good or bad, it's their way or the highway at the moment.

Brexit:
I won't pretend to be an expert in Euro politics but the only thing that is in the "WTF" type headlines as much as Trump is Brexit. This leads me to believe that the politicians over there have the same problem the politicians over here have...they believe their propaganda instead of the facts. The thing about that particular problem is that sooner or later the facts win out leaving you up shit creek without a paddle. You could never have gotten in the boat in the first place obviously, but both countries are way passed that.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 15:15 Mr. Tact

Ah, sorry... it was YouTube TV which is going up to $50 a month. My bad.  

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 14:40 saluk

Hydra wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 13:32:
Isn't YouTube Red now $50 per month? $7 per month for Disney sounds like a deal... assuming you have an interest in their content.

Disney's streaming service will suffer from their movies being in theaters, being available for purchase, and from being available on HBO and other networks that allow you to DVR them.

That impacts Netflix as well, but only for content Netflix is allowed to rebroadcast. It doesn't impact Netflix original content because that isn't (generally) released anywhere other than Netflix. Disney doesn't have this model. They have to release their mass market content to theaters, cable networks, dvd/blu-ray/4k sales because that's where the majority of their film revenue comes from.

Unless Disney comes up with something far more compelling than "Pay me to watch movies you already own or can watch somewhere else", I don't see any reason to subscribe.

I think you missed all of the original Disney+ shows that were announced. They have quite a bit planned for the first 2 years. The fact that a lot of it is marvel/star wars related will help. If you don't fall into the group that cares about that, then it's not for you. But it's going to be for a pretty large group.

There's nothing worth subbing for for me at launch, although "The World According to Jeff Goldblum" (if it is actually good) is tempting.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 14:25 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 13:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 13:08:
The Brexit trolls should be shot, it should never have gone to a popular vote. What a fuster cluck.
Cameron made a bet he thought was a sure thing. He was wrong. It was piss poor planning, especially for a seasoned politician. The fact that no one seemingly realized that Northern Ireland would be a major problem was either willful ignorance or pure stupidity. That said, it has been an amusing train wreck to watch. And being from the USA, somewhat comforting to know we aren't the only Western country with a government stumbling along looking like total idiots.

As a German I can tell you we'd rather have the Brits out of the EU by now.... that the EU gives them extensions with ZERO path forward is however a good example why maybe the current working of the EU is also total shite. But it sure beats no EU.

The EU is doomed to fail. And sooner rather than later. U'd be utterly amazed if it lasts another 20 years. I suspect a few others will want to abandon ship much sooner.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 13:38 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 13:08:
Cameron made a bet he thought was a sure thing. He was wrong. It was piss poor planning, especially for a seasoned politician. The fact that no one seemingly realized that Northern Ireland would be a major problem was either willful ignorance or pure stupidity. That said, it has been an amusing train wreck to watch. And being from the USA, somewhat comforting to know we aren't the only Western country with a government stumbling along looking like total idiots.

As a German I can tell you we'd rather have the Brits out of the EU by now.... that the EU gives them extensions with ZERO path forward is however a good example why maybe the current working of the EU is also total shite. But it sure beats no EU.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 13:32 Hydra

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 13:08 Mr. Tact

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 13:01 Acleacius

No idea why they can't do a No Confidence vote, while simultaneously doing a Remain Revote.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 12, 2019, 12:31 Mr. Tact

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo