Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human

A bunch of additional Epic Games Store exclusives were unveiled at GDC today, along with word that Epic Games Store titles, including exclusives, are headed to Humble Store. On a related note, Ars Technica conversed with Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, who tells them he expects trickle-down economics will eventually benefit players with lower prices on their store, since Epic takes a lower cut than most competitors. He says, "after you go through several cycles of game developers making decisions, you're going to see lower prices as developers pass on the savings to customers, realizing they can sell more copies if they have a better price." This press release covers the new exclusives, which include the PC debuts of Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human from Quantic Dream, and this trailer shows some of them off. Here's word:

Today’s announcements include:

• Following the successful launch of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on the Epic Games store, Ubisoft and the Epic Games store announced an extension to their agreement that will bring several major PC releases to the store in partnership with their Uplay division. Details will be revealed in the future by Ubisoft.
  • Additional back catalog titles from Ubisoft are confirmed for Epic’s free games program.
  • Take-Two Interactive’s Private Division will bring highly anticipated titles The Outer Worlds from Obsidian Entertainment and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey from Panache Digital Games to the Epic Games store.
  • Award-winning studio Quantic Dream will bring its critically acclaimed portfolio -- Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human -- to PC for the first time, exclusively to the store.

Additional games coming exclusively to the Epic Games store include:

• Afterparty from Night School Studios
  • Control from Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games
  • The Cycle from YAGER
  • Dauntless from Phoenix Labs
  • Industries of Titan from Brace Yourself Games
  • Journey to the Savage Planet from Typhoon Studios and 505 Games
  • Kine from Chump Squad
  • Phoenix Point from Snapshot Games
  • The Sinking City from Frogwares and Bigben
  • Spellbreak from Proletariat Inc.
  • Solar Ash from Heart Machine and Annapurna Interactive

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

83. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 22, 2019, 17:26 Kxmode

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 23:27:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 21:57:

- Steam is triple-pane glass
- Origin, UPlay, GOG, Battle.net, and so forth are double-pane glass
- Epic Game Store is single-pane glass

Different colored windows sure, but the strength and features of the window is what matters most.

What does that even mean? lmao

Are you kidding me? Triple-pane windows are a far superior than double- and single-pane windows. Steam is a superior platform than Epic Games Store in every way. In other words it is NOT "a different colored window" one looks out of but a "better window."

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 23:27:
Anyhow, it will take Epic a smidgen of time to put in the features YOU care about vs how long Valve took. It’s software, features are incremental. You act is if sotware is just this static box lol

It will not take Epic a "a smidgen of time." 3-5 year minimum to get it on par with Steam. And even if they got all of that in place Epic won't be able to compete with Valve's networking infrastructure. They built theirs from the ground-up. Last year alone their servers handled something like 14 quadrillion worth of downloads. Valve designed it specifically for gamers in mind on a world-wide scale. Epic, at best, will have to use third-party CDNs.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 22, 2019, 10:29 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 08:21:
How are exclusives not good for the customer here?

Because Epic has no security, no support and no features? If you don't care about that, then hey, that isn't going to matter, but to many people it DOES matter, and they're now stuck with either giving money to a shit store or not playing the game.

Everything is the same. You're paying, at worst, the same. The difference in that Stadia is paid is you'd, y'know, have to pay more to have the exclusive.

Right, so why are we cheering for the Age of Exclusives, again? Not only will stadia presumably be more expensive, but it'll be on a shit streaming system. But right now, millions of people are showing "Hey, we don't care!" so what message is Google going to take away from that?

If I'm Google, and I'm serious about getting my gaming business off the ground, I just buy everything. How much would it cost to buy the top 100 games in a year. A billion dollars? That's vending machine change for Google.

Here? You literally do not pay an additional extra cent.

Money isn't the only consideration. I don't understand why people act as if it is?

For about 15 years, Steam has been the exclusive. Most games on Steam are solely on Steam. It was the de facto exclusive!

Because there was no competition. How is that Steam's fault? There was literally no other store available. The last four or five years or so, I don't think there have been many Steam exclusives.

In any case, I am not lobbying FOR Steam here. I have few good things to say about Steam, and I actually agree with Epic that the 30% Steam takes is horseshit, and I wouldn't mind at all seeing that change. I just think the way they go about it is about as anti-consumer as you can get.

But, people gobble it up like hot cakes, so Epic isn't going to stop until that Fortnite money dries up, and suddenly they're stuck with a store on which they make a 2% RoI. I'm sure their Chinese overlords will be THRILLED with that percentage.

81. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 22, 2019, 08:21 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 14:28:
Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 12:28:
But that's different, right? Stadia is an entirely different thing. It isn't free. Steam, GOG, Epic? They're free. All the cost you is the time to download. It isn't like exclusive to a console, where you have to pay additional to play. You're paying the exact same, only to a different person.

I don't really see the difference? What does it matter whether Stadia is paid and the rest is free? Google is going to want people to sign up for their service, and Epic is showing right now that the best way to do that is to buy exclusives. Don't bother competing, just throw money at it. (It's interesting that all the people defending this behavior by Epic were screaming bloody fucking murder when Microsoft did this by buying up devs to make games exclusive to Xbox.)

And Google has WAAAAAAY more money than anyone else in the gaming industry. It'd be petty change for them to just buy every single major release for the next five years.

Exclusives are NEVER good for the customer.

How are exclusives not good for the customer here? Everything is the same. You're paying, at worst, the same. The difference in that Stadia is paid is you'd, y'know, have to pay more to have the exclusive.

Here? You literally do not pay an additional extra cent.

For about 15 years, Steam has been the exclusive. Most games on Steam are solely on Steam. It was the de facto exclusive!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

80. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 23:27 Steele Johnson

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 21:57:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 21:45:
Truth
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 00:22:
OMG! I have to download a game from a different colored window. This is an outrage!
Truth
Never Changes

You're going to recycle that? Okay let me recycle:

- Steam is triple-pane glass
- Origin, UPlay, GOG, Battle.net, and so forth are double-pane glass
- Epic Game Store is single-pane glass

Different colored windows sure, but the strength and features of the window is what matters most.

*** Boom. Point shot. ***

What does that even mean? lmao

Anyhow, it will take Epic a smidgen of time to put in the features YOU care about vs how long Valve took. It’s software, features are incremental. You act is if sotware is just this static box lol

79. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 14:28 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 12:28:
But that's different, right? Stadia is an entirely different thing. It isn't free. Steam, GOG, Epic? They're free. All the cost you is the time to download. It isn't like exclusive to a console, where you have to pay additional to play. You're paying the exact same, only to a different person.

I don't really see the difference? What does it matter whether Stadia is paid and the rest is free? Google is going to want people to sign up for their service, and Epic is showing right now that the best way to do that is to buy exclusives. Don't bother competing, just throw money at it. (It's interesting that all the people defending this behavior by Epic were screaming bloody fucking murder when Microsoft did this by buying up devs to make games exclusive to Xbox.)

And Google has WAAAAAAY more money than anyone else in the gaming industry. It'd be petty change for them to just buy every single major release for the next five years.

Exclusives are NEVER good for the customer.

78. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 14:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, what the hell. I guess I'll be wating more than a year for Outer Worlds to get to Gog.com then, if it goes to gog at all. Or do I help support this Exclusivity tactic? Hrm.

I'm unwillingly involved already with Phoenix Point's Fig/kickstarter... I'll have to see how Outer Worlds is on release, I guess. Maybe a year's worth of patches will be worth the wait anyway.

*EDIT* Clarity, Typo.

77. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 14:04  Frans 

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 13:01:
So you are saying Epic broke the database? ^^
Heh, no, it was an oversight during the integration of Chatbear by Bagpuss with Blammo by Furn around the turn of the century.

Only because stories rarely have Subjects this long, did it go unnoticed until today (on any previous occasions, I didn't happen to be monitoring the error log).

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 13:02:
Thanks for keeping the forum glued together with nothing but bubblegum, caffeine and your knowledge. I hope you never run out of any of them.
I personally don't care for bubblegum, but yeah, that and band-aids do come in handy occasionally to patch up this place.

-- Frans

76. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 13:53 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 13:01:
Frans wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 12:56:
Because of the overly long story Subject and, consequently, post Subject, 6 posts attempted to this thread were not stored in the database. I've made a quick change to truncate the post subject to the size of the database column (100 chars). This post is a test.

The affected posts were by users Task (3), Qbex (2) and Acleacius. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Sweeney Effect!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

75. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 13:48 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 09:49:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 05:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 22:10:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 21:49:
How much have you had to drink today? You should stop.

Dude. Zero booze here. I've literally drank two beers in all of 2018 and zilch booze this year so far.
And of the two beers in 2018 one was an "accident" cuz I thought it was a nonalcoholic beer but the fucker wasn't so that doesn't even count.
No drugs of any kind either. I'm an all natural nutcase bruh!

No beer?? And you call yourself "German." Pathetic!

Yup. I confess to being a complete failure as a German . No Sauerkraut for me, no pork, no beef... so no Bratwurst, no beer, no Sauerkraut, no Eisbein, no Lederhosen... nothing... I SUCK!

No Oktoberfest? Oh, the humanity!

74. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 13:48 Task

Thanks Frans, trying my post again.

It was: I downloaded/installed Epic launcher on my new PC and did not notice any issues yet. Games downloaded fine, etc. *shrug*

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

73. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 13:47 Acleacius

No thanks, and FU sweeney. Middlefinger

Don't bother saying I'm pro Steam, this is the exact same thing m$ back in 2000s to force itself into console gaming. It had a detrimental effect on PC gaming and development that lasted a decade.

The problem is people who are defending this don't understand economic blackmail hurts the consumer. sweeney has millions of dollars he can throw at this and it doesn't matter who gets hurt as long as he gets his way.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

72. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 13:23 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 11:40:
I was an enormous fan of Battlefield, yet I somehow managed to stop buying them when EA launched origin. It would take an act of non-existent god to get me to sign up for Epic's platform.

I expect a lot of people are going: https://youtu.be/_goDXZjfy4I

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

71. Re: etc., etc. Mar 21, 2019, 13:19 grudgebearer

Slashman wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 08:06:
Prez wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 05:26:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 05:22:
VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 03:15:
The funniest thing about all of this is how 99% of you who are crying like there is no tomorrow about this, will cave and buy from the Epic store when the first hyped over-the-moon game comes along that you HAVE TO, HAVE TO, HAVE!!!

It's just another store for fucks sake. Why is it so bad for you the consumer, and why is it bad for developers? There is no rational reason, other than maybe security concerns but guess what? Steam had huge issues at its start, and there is no guarantee that it's some kind of safe haven. The entire internet is a security concern.
In any case you sure can vote with your wallet and I encourage you to do just that. Except you wont. How many of you actually ever do?

You think that wouldn't you? There are many who will DO what they SAY. I for one am avoiding EGS until Epic can lock down better security, stop snooping around private Steam customer data, and bring their platform on par with Origin or GOG as a minimum viable product.

Well it's the easiest brainless accusation you can make. There is no way to prove him wrong. Suffice it to say that it won't be just 1% of people who mean what they say, and if it is, count me in the 1%. I will not touch the Epic launcher until it is VASTLY improved and their idea of "competition" doesn't involve removing choice from gamers entirely. Waiting a year for exclusivity to expire is the better choice for me.

I'm with Prez. Not lacking any games to play in the meantime. And 1 year of patching is definitely a good thing.

The publishers and devs do whats good for them and I do what's good for me! Everyone's happy.

For me personally I almost never purchase a game at day-1 price. In these cases, I probably won't pick up any of these EGS-exclusives that hit Steam until they are >50% discount, whereas previously I'd have picked it up on steam once it hit 15-20% off.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

70. Re: More Epic Games Store Mar 21, 2019, 13:02 RedEye9

Because of the overly long story Subject and, consequently, post Subject, 6 posts attempted to this thread were not stored in the database. I've made a quick change to truncate the post subject to the size of the database column (100 chars). This post is a test.

The affected posts were by users Task (3), Qbex (2) and Acleacius. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks for keeping the forum glued together with nothing but bubblegum, caffeine and your knowledge. I hope you never run out of any of them.

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!

69. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 13:01 eRe4s3r

68. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 12:56  Frans 

-- Frans

67. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 12:28 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 11:07:
Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 09:44:
There is no possible way for Epic to compete with Steam's features on Day One. There's no way for them to build to the point that they can compete on features if no one is using the product. No one will use the product unless it can do something Steam cannot. Right now, the only thing it can do is offer games Steam doesn't.

Anyone complaining now is being short-sighted, if competition is something they genuinely desire.

Sure. Until the point comes when Gabe finally wakes up and realizes "Well, I guess this works better than I thought it would," and starts doing the same thing. So then Steam starts buying exclusives. And then EA goes "well fuck..." and starts buying exclusives. And then Uplay. And then AT&T/Warner. Etc etc.

Yay?

And those are just stores, there's not much difference between them. Now six months from now, Google announces CP2077 is a fucking exclusive for Stadia? Hey, how else are they going to compete?

We'll have fifty different stores with their own exclusives. It sounds like fucking PARADISE to me.

-------------

66. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 11:40 PHJF

I was an enormous fan of Battlefield, yet I somehow managed to stop buying them when EA launched origin. It would take an act of non-existent god to get me to sign up for Epic's platform.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

65. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 11:28 Beamer

Prez wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 10:18:
I don't think anyone expects a new digital platform to be as feature rich as one that has been around for 14 years. But there's also no excuse for one to be as feature bare (even lacking the most basic essentials) as Epic's is. At any rate, it's simply not the consumer's job to care. Never has been.

Sure, but people are caring way too much. Like I said, many are just saying "well, I'm not buying there right now." But tens of thousands are review-bombing things. It may not be their job to care, but it seems to be the most pressing thing in their lives right now, at least for the level of outrage they're showing.

-------------

64. Re: More Epic Games Store Exclusives Include PC Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Bec Mar 21, 2019, 11:07 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 09:44:
There is no possible way for Epic to compete with Steam's features on Day One. There's no way for them to build to the point that they can compete on features if no one is using the product. No one will use the product unless it can do something Steam cannot. Right now, the only thing it can do is offer games Steam doesn't.

Anyone complaining now is being short-sighted, if competition is something they genuinely desire.

Sure. Until the point comes when Gabe finally wakes up and realizes "Well, I guess this works better than I thought it would," and starts doing the same thing. So then Steam starts buying exclusives. And then EA goes "well fuck..." and starts buying exclusives. And then Uplay. And then AT&T/Warner. Etc etc.

Yay?

And those are just stores, there's not much difference between them. Now six months from now, Google announces CP2077 is a fucking exclusive for Stadia? Hey, how else are they going to compete?

We'll have fifty different stores with their own exclusives. It sounds like fucking PARADISE to me.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2019, 11:18.

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo