Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service

Google made their big GDC announcement today, and it is indeed for their own game streaming service which they call Stadia. This revives the original promises rolled out with the first cloud gaming announcement, saying all the computation and rendering will happen on the back end, allowing high-end games to be played on any screen without a console or an expensive computer. An article on NBC news relates the details, noting games need to be developed for the platform: "Google needs game studios to build titles for Stadia. It says developers can build on its cloud or in their own studios. id Software is already building 'Doom Eternal' for Stadia and demoed it on stage. Another developer, Tequila Studios, showed its game 'Rime' running on the platform." Here's more:

Google explained a bit how it will work. The company said that if someone is watching a video of a game on YouTube, they could hit a button that says "play now" and jump right into playing the game themselves in as fast as five seconds. Today, gamers have to buy physical games or wait, often hours, for the game to download before they can play. Even then, they also need special hardware to play those games.

Google says Stadia will run on "any screen type" but it will work on desktops, laptops, TVs, tablets and phones at launch. There's no box at all.

"With Stadia, the data center is your platform," Google said. A gamer can start on one platform and then pick up where they left off on another devices, which means you might game on your computer and then continue on your phone when you leave the house.

People will be able to play with a keyboard and mouse or a special Stadia controller that Google will sell. It has a capture button that lets people share their games right to YouTube so that other people can watch. It also has a Google Assistant button, which gives access to the microphone for speaking to in-game features that developers will be able to build into their games.

Google said it will support 4K games at 60fps with HDR but that, in the future, will support games up to 8K resolution. Most people don't yet own 8K TVs and only the most recent gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony currently support 4K HDR gaming.

AMD helps Google power Stadia's graphics rendering in the cloud. AMD shares were up about 7 percent on news that it was partnering with Google on Stadia.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 21, 2019, 17:37 jdreyer

DukeFNukem wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 15:51:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 04:29:

Remember Onlive? $5 per month, and the price of the games were MSRP.

What we need is unlimited games for $30 per month or something to be viable. Not gonna happen.

$30 a month for unlimited games? I can buy a game for $30 and play it for a year. In fact, I could probably buy about 6 games for $30 in a Humble Bundle or Fanatical sale and own them for life. Why don't you just drop yer pants and scream, "HERE I AM DISNEY/Google. HERE I AM!"
You're obviously not the target audience for such a service.

Also, the idea of playing AC Oddyssey or CP 2077 at Max details on a $300 laptop or $100 tablet instead of a $2000 gaming desktop will appeal to some people.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 15:51 DukeFNukem

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 04:29:

What we need is unlimited games for $30 per month or something to be viable. Not gonna happen.

$30 a month for unlimited games? I can buy a game for $30 and play it for a year. In fact, I could probably buy about 6 games for $30 in a Humble Bundle or Fanatical sale and own them for life. Why don't you just drop yer pants and scream, "HERE I AM DISNEY/Google. HERE I AM!"

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...

40. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 14:12 NobleAtreides

I welcome this service whole heartedly, I almost forgot Google never had a proper gaming service, since I last logged onto yahoo games over two decades ago. It's about time Google gets a gaming platform, even if it is to play chess & to meet great people all over the world. I admit , the lag issues for modern gaming, that will soon be ironed out once the world migrates away from mechanical drives, and onto NVMe flash based servers, coupled with worldwide 5G deployment.

give it another 4 ~ 5 years, we'll have console grade gaming brought to us by Google, or Disney, if they decide to grow that bulge.

39. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 11:31 DukeFNukem

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 18:27:
Those with fiber can run stuff like this just fine. The Nvidia streaming service works shockingly well, although artifacts are noticeable. The response time is pretty fantastic.

Itís not good enough for pro gaming, but thatís the area this sort of thing would be best put...cheating is dead at that point.

I have friends who have several kids, so this sort of service appeals to them. Building one rig and keeping it up to date is one thing...building five is another.

Buy 5 Hades Canyon i7 NUCs for these kids. It should be good for at least 5 years. Then you will own a NUC versus having spent as much money in subscription fee's over a 5 year period and owning nothing. The cost of technology is cheaper than it ever has been across the board these days. It's not like your going to have to tailor each NUC for each kid.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...

38. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 06:51 Jonjonz

This is the wet dream of "games as a service" companies.
If you know anything about enterprise level computing, you know you can't find a lower Data Center cost than Amazon's cloud services.

It's a win for them by lowering their Data Center production and maintenance cost.

Does it work? I was in a test phase for Nvidia's prototype GeforceNow. I have average to good internet service and the system works fine for many single player games that are not fast action oriented, with only rare occasional glitches or rubber-banding.

Multiplayer games, well, things are just not ready for prime time. Lag, rubber-banding, all over the place.

Games that require lots of analog input, like driving/flying games, lag even worse.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

37. removed Mar 20, 2019, 05:30 Suppa7

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 20, 2019, 14:58.

36. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 04:29 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 02:21:
man you guys are a dour bunch. i think old age is finally setting in around here. project stream was a fantastic success on my end. looked great, zero visual artifacting except for the very seldom lag spike, very little noticeable lag. really, none on my end, and i've been an online gamer since quake 1.

for those questioning the bandwidth requirements, you really have no clue how simple and elegant this is. you won't be livestreaming ANY game data. it's no different than watching a hi-res youtube video with the minimal overhead of controller input. they stream the game visuals to you; all the rendering is done in a data center far away, so theoretically you could play AAA titles on a shitty tablet, as long as it had enough power to play hi-res video stutter free. for the test, minimum bandwidth was 25Mbit; i played on a 70Mbit connection and as i said, it was nearly flawless.

for anyone EXCEPT competitive gamers this is a perfect solution as long as it's price competitive. i don't give a shit about owning my games after i beat them, and i suspect the same of the vast majority of us. but i'm also pretty sure you'll have the option to own titles in addition to a subscription model. i've bought movies on amazon and i won't have a problem buying games on stadia. neither company is going anywhere.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

35. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 02:21 1badmf

man you guys are a dour bunch. i think old age is finally setting in around here. project stream was a fantastic success on my end. looked great, zero visual artifacting except for the very seldom lag spike, very little noticeable lag. really, none on my end, and i've been an online gamer since quake 1.

for those questioning the bandwidth requirements, you really have no clue how simple and elegant this is. you won't be livestreaming ANY game data. it's no different than watching a hi-res youtube video with the minimal overhead of controller input. they stream the game visuals to you; all the rendering is done in a data center far away, so theoretically you could play AAA titles on a shitty tablet, as long as it had enough power to play hi-res video stutter free. for the test, minimum bandwidth was 25Mbit; i played on a 70Mbit connection and as i said, it was nearly flawless.

for anyone EXCEPT competitive gamers this is a perfect solution as long as it's price competitive. i don't give a shit about owning my games after i beat them, and i suspect the same of the vast majority of us. but i'm also pretty sure you'll have the option to own titles in addition to a subscription model. i've bought movies on amazon and i won't have a problem buying games on stadia. neither company is going anywhere.

34. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 20:53 theglaze

Google plays the long-term game, which means targeting kids.

Example: contributing to schools but requiring them to include curriculum created by google. Lessons that help promote 'thinking like a programmer', aka, their future workforce. google isn't hiding that:

What kids learn today shapes the world we live in tomorrow.

Keep in mind that google is YouTube and Android, which means google is already America's #1 babysitter!

Now parents can let their children do big-screen gaming without needing to buy an expensive console? That's huge. It won't take long for google to acquire the largest user-base of children under, say, 10 years old who don't care/notice input lag.

Lots of pressure on the console manufacturers... they're luxurious brands are significantly undercut by this move by google.

33. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 20:04 Jim Ragan

Good to see the Zune color scheme making a comeback.  

32. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 18:53 NKD

This is going to be a great thing for casual gamers who only spend an hour or two every couple days on the service, that way their data cap doesn't get used up. I have a brother who games rarely and he's pretty hyped about this.  

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

31. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 18:53 Rilcon

Would really need a free demo of this stuff to even consider it. Current game streaming stuff I've tried has every input feel like there's good old v-sync mouselag, and even though the res may be 1080+, the video artifacts are really blatant. Even room to room stuff like steam link feels bad to me.  

30. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 18:27 HoSpanky

Those with fiber can run stuff like this just fine. The Nvidia streaming service works shockingly well, although artifacts are noticeable. The response time is pretty fantastic.

Itís not good enough for pro gaming, but thatís the area this sort of thing would be best put...cheating is dead at that point.

I have friends who have several kids, so this sort of service appeals to them. Building one rig and keeping it up to date is one thing...building five is another.

29. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 18:24 Spektr

DukeFNukem wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 17:31:
Even if the physics and AI are handled on a more capable system in the cloud, you'll still have to download all the static assets of the game. Graphics, sounds, in-game video cut-scenes.
It would be completely stupid to stream static assessts on a 100% on-demand basis.

I think the idea is to only get the final render basically you send your client's signals, the server computes game interaction and you stream back 60 4k images per second and sound.
Where I live it's just not realistic to imagine it's going to be playable. High res Video streams often require some kind of buffering for a while before stream can be watched.
That raises many questions, the cost of investment in infrastructures to make connections better, access in rural areas, poor countries, bandwidth waste and environmental issues. I am very curious about this technology as an interesting experience but I don't imagine it being viable right now but I'm not a visionnary. And not sure it's a good thing, first for the waste of ressources it will entail for a benefit that has yet to be defined. I am not sure the games will be more expensive but users will have to pay for the infrastructures as a subscrioption. Maybe more viable than the MMORPG subscription model as it doesnt force one to stick to one game per month but who wants to pay a subscription for that? People who can't invest for an expensive pc will find it great and we will see the advent of cards or motherboards that can stream 4k videos with poor 3d performance.
Maybe they will be the rage in netcafťs but they better have a good network...
Sorry but I'll stick to my big rig.

28. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 18:18 Bill Borre

@DukeFNukem

Many of the games I have on Steam are older adventure games where I doubt latency would be an issue and sometimes I just want to play a few minutes without waiting for the setup.

27. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 18:11 WaltC

More pie-in-the-sky nonsense from Google. The problem for Google is that they don't own the pipes that run to the people--they just own some servers and they buy access, just like Netflix, etc. And even Netflix is savvy enough to know that the promise of streaming interactive games to people is pyrite--fool's gold, to be sure. Try and stream a 4k multiplayer game (not scaled up from 640x480, etc., either) to a couple of million people at once who want to play--and look out for Mr. Lag...;) He walks in and everyone stops--because they have to.

The mention of people having to wait for a long time to complete game downloads is especially funny because it means they have very *slow* Internet access--so you can take the negative effects of small bandwidth in downloading and they will grow exponentially once you start trying to stream games & everything else on the same channel. I'll call Google out if says it can stream 4k-8k games on punk Internet bandwidth--what--compress it 100,000:1...?;) Oh, Joy.

Reminds me of SUN's failed "network computer" venture designed for SUN to control everything while putting us all on dumb terminal keyboards. Than went over well, didn't it? [Not.] Everybody wants to *control* everything--what a crock.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

26. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 17:33 Pr()ZaC

The problem will always be on the customer's side.
Even having 2 to 5ms ping to the provider, once packets go round and round the internet, you'll get a delay.
Perhaps it's not ready for competitive FPS or BR crap but, directed to casual gamers, it could work if the price is right.

Everything is going to be offered "as a service" - a shame not to be the owner of anything, anymore.

25. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 17:31 DukeFNukem

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 16:22:
I was just thinking yesterday how nice it would be if I could play the games in my Steam library without having to install them. I wonder if they'll ever follow suit with something like this.

What would be so nice about it? The idea to unnecessarily burden the entire Internet so that big publishing companies can milk you for life would be nice?

Even if the physics and AI are handled on a more capable system in the cloud, you'll still have to download all the static assets of the game. Graphics, sounds, in-game video cut-scenes.

It would be completely stupid to stream static assessts on a 100% on-demand basis.

24. No subject Mar 19, 2019, 17:29 007Bistromath

Everyone else announces not giving a flying fuck about game streaming for the 500th time.  

23. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 17:27 Overon

Quinn wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 14:38:
I don't want this. Fuck off. If I wanted this I'd be in arcade halls all the time. I want my own PC -- my owm baby. No wait this requires a poem:

I built you from the ground up
You started with complaining
My sweat and tears were begging you
I needed you for gaming
The proper tweak was all the charm
Your sweet hum worth all the bother
My sanctuary, you now are to me
A newborn
I, your father

Great poem!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.