Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans

Players caught cheating at Apex Legends are now receiving permanent hardware bans, reports Daily Esports, who say this is a hot topic on the wretched hives of scum and villainy where cheats are shared (thanks Game Rant). Some players attempt to cheat in most every online game, and bans are a common way to combat this, but this can be frustrating in free-to-play games like Apex Legends where banned players can simply register for new accounts. By taking the more drastic measure of banning the hardware used by cheaters, Respawn is sending a clear message of genuine zero tolerance for such behavior. Word is that any account made on flagged hardware is banned within 30 minutes. The report offers an example from Reddit of a cheater who posted that their ban persisted even after they changed HWID, vol id, and Mac address, and after formatting their PC, performing a factory reset, changing their dynamic IP, partitioning their hard drives, and even installing an older GPU. If that all isn't enough to make your day, the schadenfreude actually gets better:

While there are some ways (difficult as they may be) around Respawn’s hardware ban, most cheaters are still furious. Their anger isn’t just directed at Respawn, but at the websites or companies that sold them the cheats. A good majority of these cheats cost anywhere from $60 to $150, depending on the program. That is a lot of money to pay to have your account banned a day later. However, the websites that sell these cheats are promising the buyers undetectable and unbannable hacks. While some of these do get through the Anti-Cheat software, many are being flagged and leaving the buyers unable to play Apex on the same PC again.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

72. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 13:59 Tigger

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 05:42:
IF only gamers hadn't been stupid enough to buy drm laden PC games, dedicated servers would still be a thing in AAA games and your cheating point would be moot because we'd still have stuff like sdk's and modding for the AAA gaming space.

I'm not sure I totally agree. Quake, Quakeworld, Quake 2 and Quake 3 all had dedicate servers but cheating was still a problem when you played Internet games.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 10:29 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 09:44:
Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:47:
El Pit wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:36:
Simon Says wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 05:57:
Cheating offline, sure, I use that often when I want to skip multiple hours grinds'n'stuff.

The only cheat I usually use in my single-player games is about inventory size/weight limits. It's still cheating but I hate having limited inventories/weight capacities.

This is what turned TW3 from a frustrating but very good game into a great one. Inventory sizes and weight limits, in 99% of games, just create grind.

It's one of the essential mods for any TES or FALLOUT game too. And what a joy it is to play Gothic 3 or Nier:Automata, where your inventory is infinite BY DEFAULT.

I mean sometimes I can live with it (deus ex..) but in RPG's with billions of things to loot? Hell no.

I'll play it a bit without doing this, for the full experience, to see how necessary it is, etc., but after a while the loot mechanics get annoying. The amount of time it takes to drop stuff, or figure out what to drop, is frustrating. Having to interrupt a fun run to head back to a shop to sell stuff is frustrating. Then having shops only have like 100 gold is frustrating.

All this stuff adds time without adding fun, depth, or most importantly, challenge. There's no skill to balancing an inventory, it's literally just something that consumes time. No qualms about modding it out from me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

70. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 09:44 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:47:
Cheating offline, sure, I use that often when I want to skip multiple hours grinds'n'stuff.

The only cheat I usually use in my single-player games is about inventory size/weight limits. It's still cheating but I hate having limited inventories/weight capacities.

This is what turned TW3 from a frustrating but very good game into a great one. Inventory sizes and weight limits, in 99% of games, just create grind.

It's one of the essential mods for any TES or FALLOUT game too. And what a joy it is to play Gothic 3 or Nier:Automata, where your inventory is infinite BY DEFAULT.

I mean sometimes I can live with it (deus ex..) but in RPG's with billions of things to loot? Hell no.

69. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 08:47 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

68. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 08:36 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

67. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 07:29 Rilcon

Cheating online... I never got the point of that, it beats the purpose as far as I'm concerned.

Keep in mind a lot of games have multiplayer grinds for item/class unlocks and vanity, so while a lot of cheaters will be out there just to grief or satisfy their power fantasies, others are just wanting to cut down the grind.

66. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 05:57 Simon Says

Cheating online... I never got the point of that, it beats the purpose as far as I'm concerned.

65. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 05:42 Suppa7

Tigger wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 23:36:
Cheaters are why I don't bother with online games anymore. Carmack called this way back in 2001 - its impossible to make a cheat-proof game so its better to play with your friends.

IF only gamers hadn't been stupid enough to buy drm laden PC games, dedicated servers would still be a thing in AAA games and your cheating point would be moot because we'd still have stuff like sdk's and modding for the AAA gaming space.

Watching the destruction of stuff like sdk's and level editors we used to get in the 90's was a real pisser.

64. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 04:55 Paragon of Virtue

The Pyro wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 16:46:
How are they able to cheat in the first place?

The three most common cheats in server-authoritative FPS games are:

1. Aimbots. These are modified client executables that aim for you. Sometimes they lock on to a particular target, and sometimes they just click the fire button at the right moment when your cursor passes over a target. Detecting these sorts of cheats is always a back-and-forth arms race because, at the end of the day, the server does not have a 100% foolproof method to validate the software you're running.

2. Wallhacks. These are a collection of cheats that allow you to see through walls and spot enemies hiding behind cover. These cheats can be problematic because cheaters don't always need to modify the original game; in some cases, external programs can snoop on network traffic and draw overlays on your screen. There are a variety of ways to accomplish wallhacks, from modifying specific shaders or game models, to actually editing the rendering code.

3. Speedhacks. Most server-authoritative games will, to some degree, trust the client's word when it comes to the exact positioning of your character - because when you don't trust the client, even small amounts of lag cause very unpleasant rubber-banding and displacement issues. Unfortunately, cheaters can abuse this trust by modifying the game client to allow them to move at higher-than-normal speeds.

Thanks for this rundown!

http://www.sorenkristensen.com/site

63. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 19, 2019, 04:53 Paragon of Virtue

NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 15:13:
Paragon of Virtue wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 14:59:
I'm not in the loop, but HOW do these cheaters cheat?

Are they hacking the game? What's going on? How are they able to cheat in the first place? If it's a security issue, maybe Relic should lock down their code/servers better?

I'm genuinely curious. All these news bites about cheaters being banned, and not a lot of information on how/what the cheating entails. Someone clue an old man in! :-)

Sometimes it's just a code issue that can be resolved. Other times, there are performance costs to having server-side checks for certain things, usually relating to movement, aiming, shooting, etc. In other words, things that need to happen quickly and in real-time and still feel good even with a little bit of lag. So for these things the game trusts the client to an extent, which is an opening for a cheat program to alter things.

There's not much you can do about these things without ruining your gameplay. So it becomes an arms race based not on preventing the cheats from being functional, but detecting the cheats and banning the offenders. On the other side, cheat makers have to redo their stuff to try and avoid detection.

Thanks for the great reply.

http://www.sorenkristensen.com/site

62. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 01:02 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 21:39:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:48:
I read "Deep Snark" as "Derek Smart"

Ah, so that's why he showed up in the Epic thread!

Innocent

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

61. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 23:36 Tigger

Cheaters are why I don't bother with online games anymore. Carmack called this way back in 2001 - its impossible to make a cheat-proof game so its better to play with your friends.  

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

60. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 21:39 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:48:

Ah, so that's why he showed up in the Epic thread!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

59. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 19:18 Rilcon

My heart bleeds for these poor, poor souls.

Given it's F2P it makes sense to get these people out of the pool ASAP. If there were any up-front fee, I'd've gone with an initial shadow-ban / cheater-only servers for a few days followed by a hard ban to incentivize a second purchase and keep the "account" flagged to check for reincidence (and repeat the ban to buy buy cycle). Free money off spoiled rich talentless scum, everyone wins.

58. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 19:16 Muscular Beaver

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 19:11:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:54:
After some thought I think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't quarantine the cheaters on their own server instead of banning them. The comments would still be delicious, and the videos hilarious.

Something like an "Escape from New York" or "Running Man" for cheaters. That would be awesome! Even better, let regular players enter spectator mode to see the hilarity ensue. lol!
Cheaters who try to hide it tend to increase their settings more and more if they still lose. So that would probably really be funny to see how they become more and more obvious by the day and ending up as rage hackers, not realizing what they have done.

So, if you ever do something like that, be sure that they wont realize it.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

57. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 19:11 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:54:
After some thought I think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't quarantine the cheaters on their own server instead of banning them. The comments would still be delicious, and the videos hilarious.

Something like an "Escape from New York" or "Running Man" for cheaters. That would be awesome! Even better, let regular players enter spectator mode to see the hilarity ensue. lol!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

56. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 18:54 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

55. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 18:48 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:05:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 16:26:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:25:
Timmeh wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:22:
There are actually a lot more legit players that get false flagged than you think.
Please provide multiple videos, sources and statistics proving players that don't cheat are getting banned in Anthem.

Is cheating a thing in Anthem? What would the point be?
awe fudgenugget, I meant Apex, no wonder he didn't reply

Ah, I thought there was some Deep Snark that I was missing!

54. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 18:23 ventry

I'll take "sympathy level 0" for $1000 Alex.  

53. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 18:23 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:33:
Stop trusting the fucking client side data.

They dont. At least the good developers.
The ones that do trust the client are easily recognized: Lots of speedhackers are ruining their games and they use a P2P netcode. Yet speedhacking is easily recognized by anti-cheat programs. So if you have a game where you see speedhackers, you know the devs dont care at all or the anti-cheat they use is completely useless. An example of one that isnt able to detect speedhacks: Easy Anti Cheat.

Aimbots and wallhacks/ESPs dont modify any data of the client. So its not a matter of trusting the client or not.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo