Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties

Epic Games announces plans to launch their own online store as a direct competitor to Steam and similar services. Valve recently announced an increased split for best-selling games, which prompted some outcry from smaller developers. It's not clear if Epic's news is a direct response to that, but at the heart of the announcement is word that 88% of sales will go to developers, and they offer a comparison chart showing how generous this is compared with Steam splits. Here's word:

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if youíre using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epicís 12%.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 12:38 Primalchrome

This is the first Distro platform since GoG that has really caught my attention.

That said, Valve/Steam has done a *lot* for gaming that they don't get credit for. Better Controller integration (there are more controllers for PC than Xbox). Steam Controller (allowing better controller mapping). SteamLink (bringing PC gaming to the couch). SteamVR (secular VR). SteamBox (political move against MS store that benefited us all). etc..etc..etc..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 12:27 RedEye9

Smart move Epic. Competition, especially when it concerns pricing and royalties, is a great way to drive success.

Toss in a generous return policy and you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

7. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 12:00 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 11:41:
Epic, you are never going to undercut Steam. Like ever! Don't do it. Create a platform uniquely yours like CDPR did with GOG. If you explicitly go after Steam you will lose and all the money you've made from Fortnite will evaporate.

Is this for real?

1) What do you think they can do, otherwise? GOG's entire schtick is no DRM. They have that covered. Do you think there's another gimmick out there, waiting to be plucked?

2) Do you think GOG isn't competing with Steam? Seriously?

3) How much more expensive do you think it is creating a Steam alternative vs a GOG-level alternative?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 11:57 El Pit

As long as they are selling Steam keys on Epic's online store... Oh, wait!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

5. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 11:41 Kxmode

Epic, you are never going to undercut Steam. Like ever! Don't do it. Create a platform uniquely yours like CDPR did with GOG. If you explicitly go after Steam you will lose and all the money you've made from Fortnite will evaporate.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

4. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 11:32 Xero

It's always great to have competition but I do not want multiple platforms installed on my PC.

No joke. I had no idea that Far Cry 4 was sitting installed on my PC for the past 2 years, lol. I never launched the Ubisoft launcher until I just installed Far Cry 5 last week, rofl. It showed me that Far Cry 4 was available to play. I was like, wtf??? I uninstalled it.

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX

3. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 11:30 emgarf

Maybe the Epic Games store's first listing will be Half-Life 3  

2. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 11:26 Timmeh

Lets hear it for free market competition.  

1. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 11:17 Linthat22

hmmm, I wonder if we'll eventually see something like the digital version you get with movies and can have everything synced up to whichever provider you want to use to stream with, whether it be Vudu, Prime, or whatever.  

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo