Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties

Epic Games announces plans to launch their own online store as a direct competitor to Steam and similar services. Valve recently announced an increased split for best-selling games, which prompted some outcry from smaller developers. It's not clear if Epic's news is a direct response to that, but at the heart of the announcement is word that 88% of sales will go to developers, and they offer a comparison chart showing how generous this is compared with Steam splits. Here's word:

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if youíre using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epicís 12%.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 16:42 RedEye9

What To Do If Your 'Fortnite' Account Was Hacked, And How To Avoid It In The First Place
The author goes on to write;
Remember to safe online whether you're playing Fortnite or any other game. Smart internet users are happy internet users. Stupid internet users have virus-ridden machines being used remotely to hack crypto-currency without their knowledge. Or worse.
"remember to safe online" ... wtf
dudes helpful, not

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 16:25 |RaptoR|

Epic has a lot to learn from a security perspective before I'll ever associate a payment method with them again. Back in July, about 9 million epic accounts showed up on the darkweb (mine included). I use Dashlane and have a securely generated unique password for every single service I use. No passwords are reused.

My account was compromised and I was billed $400 in v bucks (what the fuck is a vbuck?). I opened a ticket with them immediately and explained that I don't even know what a fortnite is and they ignored the ticket. Also removed stored payment credentials.

I pleaded with them on twitter, and still they ignored my ticket. I disputed the transaction with Paypal, but because Epic had a sellers agreement, it was a legitimate transaction from their end and suggested I bring it up with Epic. My ticket finally got a response that said my user/pass combo showed up on a third party site and that I should secure my account. Dude. The only way this shit got leaked was through you. It was a unique user/pass to your service!

I had to post a thread on reddit before the community managers reached out and resolved my case/issued refunds. 3 weeks later. And they said the same thing. My user/pass was compromised. I told them that it was a unique combination for their service and linked them to the various sites reporting that they had a user database leak, and they said "okay well we're not sure how it is out there but our systems weren't compromised."

They still haven't owned up to it. Never putting payment information on an Epic Games account again.

Playing: Overwatch, Black Ops 4, Forza Horizon 4, Forza 7
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

27. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 15:51 Tipsy McStagger

Another store I probably won't buy from...

but if I do.. I'll leave the service off until I want to use it.

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 4, 2018, 15:34 Mordecai Walfish

Well damn.. that escalated quickly.

25. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 14:59 Cutter

I really don't care about who's running what services. I care about cost, availability - service has to be stable - and privacy. The only thing that amazes me is that no one has tried to compete with Steam before this. Competition is good, so I wish them well.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

24. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 14:52 jdreyer

Drazula wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 14:47:
Pretty clever!
Epic's move targets AAA titles from all publishers. If they use the unreal engine, it is only 7% overhead. Publishers maintaining their own game store are going to spend a bigger chunk than 7% and have to deal with all the headaches.
From a game engine standpoint, this is also a big benefit that reduces the cost of the Unreal engine, enticing more developers to use it.

Great point. They're so late to the party though. They should have rolled this out 5 years ago.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 14:47 Drazula

Pretty clever!
Epic's move targets AAA titles from all publishers. If they use the unreal engine, it is only 7% overhead. Publishers maintaining their own game store are going to spend a bigger chunk than 7% and have to deal with all the headaches.
From a game engine standpoint, this is also a big benefit that reduces the cost of the Unreal engine, enticing more developers to use it.

22. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 14:38 VaranDragon

So GOG is CDPR's baby? I never knew that. Gotta give credit where credit is due, those Poles are pretty smart people.  

21. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 14:02 chickenboo

i don't hold much faith the revenue sharing agreement will lead to lower key costs for consumers. and i'll still be adding the game to Steam as a non-steam game to make use of my steam controller and play from the couch.

this is good for developers, for sure. Valve should lower their costs across the board and help out the indie devs, too. but i definitely don't want yet another launcher

20. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 14:01 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 13:49:
Xero wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 11:32:
It's always great to have competition but I do not want multiple platforms installed on my PC.

From a convenience standpoint, I agree. On the other hand, I just leave GoG and Origin off until I want to play a game unique to those services.
her der derp
you mean they don't have to be in the start up folder
I've never understood the "i don't want another platform" argument.

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!

19. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:57 Desalus

I hope Epic is planning a massive revision of their application's UI to support this new online store. As it stands now, and even after the recent UI update, I don't see how the it could possibly support their new initiative.  

18. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:51 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 12:38:
This is the first Distro platform since GoG that has really caught my attention.

That said, Valve/Steam has done a *lot* for gaming that they don't get credit for. Better Controller integration (there are more controllers for PC than Xbox). Steam Controller (allowing better controller mapping). SteamLink (bringing PC gaming to the couch). SteamVR (secular VR). SteamBox (political move against MS store that benefited us all). etc..etc..etc..
Don't forget about cheap games!

And backlogs so long that I will never get to everything.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:49 jdreyer

It's always great to have competition but I do not want multiple platforms installed on my PC.

From a convenience standpoint, I agree. On the other hand, I just leave GoG and Origin off until I want to play a game unique to those services.

16. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:42 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 11:26:
Lets hear it for free market competition.

What is this "competition" concept you speak of?

Now if we could apply this to the ISP industry.

15. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:31 Slick

Translation: its always great to breathe oxygen, but I enjoy huffing vaporized cyanide.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

14. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:26 Trashy

Only use Linux now, so Steam and GOG are really the only major choices for my gaming preferences.  

13. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:15 WaltC

Kxmode wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 11:41:
Epic, you are never going to undercut Steam. Like ever! Don't do it. Create a platform uniquely yours like CDPR did with GOG. If you explicitly go after Steam you will lose and all the money you've made from Fortnite will evaporate.

Looks like Epic is doing the same thing that CDPR did with GOG. Not sure what you meant to say. Anyone who puts up a competitor to Steam that offers the same services for less money is undercutting Steam--that's how they compete. Steam used to charge 30% across the board--Epic is charging 12% across the board. A developer would have to be bonkers to stick with Steam...unless Steam agrees to the same percentage, of course.

If Epic adopts the GOG DRM-less format & distributes game executables as does GOG, it's possible that they will successfully compete with both distribution companies. It all depends on the delivery and the ease of use, etc. Steam has a long history behind it, as does GOG, but that 12% distribution percentage is a powerful inducement, indeed. Competition is always good--and this sort of downward pressure on distribution fees is long overdue.

OTOH, if Epic simply tries to carbon-copy Steam, it might not go so well for them.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

12. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:11 jacobvandy

I noticed a couple days ago that they'd updated their launcher to be more busy and convoluted... All that did was prompt me to create desktop shortcuts directly to what I want to play so I don't have to deal with it anymore. I only use Epic's client because that is the only way to access Fortnite and the new UT, and everyone I know feels the same. I'm not interested in another storefront unless this better revenue split leads to better discounts, which I doubt will be the case very often.  

11. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:06 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 11:41:
Epic, you are never going to undercut Steam. Like ever! Don't do it. Create a platform uniquely yours like CDPR did with GOG. If you explicitly go after Steam you will lose and all the money you've made from Fortnite will evaporate.

Is this missing /s? Worst case is it is a failed experiment and some millions are lost, I'm sure their management team has a solid understanding and hedge. LOL like we could call such a thing.

10. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 13:03 HorrorScope

The time has come... also being DRM free is a smart move. This is a long play, but seems like a solid move on their behalf. They have the cash and know how to compete. I'm looooong past one client only for games, so what's the diff? If you give me something better, better is better. MS was the only one that could have made it only one and that was a long time and squandered legendarily.

I know if I had a game to market 12% vs 30% is overwhelmingly positive!

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo