Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 4448 (Master)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 20, 2017, 22:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Orogogus wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:06:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 09:26:
"People of 4chan" is the internet. Think on it this way, 4chan is one of the heaviest trafficked sites in the world. 4chan considers as part of their manifesto to be "a website anyone can use." By granting 4chan use, he's effectively given the internet and everyone the right to use it. Since there's no way to define "who" uses 4chan except anyone with an internet connection that leaves it open to anybody.

As Beamer notes -- I did say on 4chan, because that's the implication in the text I quoted. But 1) that in no way implies that he put it in the public domain, giving up all his rights to the material and 2) you can revoke permissions. If you couldn't then licensing agreements would be eternal.

He did actually abandon his copyright. See the existing case of pillsbury vs milkyway if you need an in-depth example of how an entity who doesn't defend their copyright and it "gains a life of it's own" can't retroactively try to claim copyright on it.

I'm looking at the Wikipedia page and I see a case talking about parody fair use protection, which doesn't seem like what you're talking about here. 1) That copyright was in full force but the court deemed it a valid application of fair use; 2) you lose trademarks, not copyrights, by abandoning them, like I said earlier; 3) the Pillsbury Doughboy was in no way abandoned, then or now.

Yeah, dude is conflating different sets of laws and apparently doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. I think we're done here.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 19, 2017, 13:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Orogogus wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 12:54:
I don't see anything that suggests that the creator put Pepe the Frog in the public domain, which isn't a thing that happens automatically until 75-120 years after the creator dies.

And you don't seem to be using copyright and trademark correctly. The frog is a copyrighted work. You don't lose a copyright by not defending it, and you can selectively sue whomever you want to sue.

A trademark is a brand name or logo. You have to register trademarks with the government to get the force of law on your side, and then you do have to use and defend it or it's gone. But what you're defending against is people using Legos as a generic term for building blocks, Q-Tips for cotton swabs, and so on. Trademark - a mark of trade, i.e., a brand; the courts let those lapse because once everyone is calling a vacuum flask a thermos they're not going to let the former owner take a million people to court.

I think you're really wrong on this, but if there's something that shows that this frog is in the public domain, or that you lose copyrighted works of art by not defending them, post it here.

Plus, you've got Cutter on your side, so that's not a good sign.

This is exactly why I was asking. I looked around a bit, but don't see anything about him putting Pepe in the public domain, so I had no idea what he was talking about. As far as I can tell, that never happened.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 19, 2017, 11:37 Wowbagger_TIP

What do you mean, "places it into the public domain"? Apparently not if the copyright has been enforced.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 11, 2017, 00:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 23:54:
Yep, there was no good choice really. So, I like you held my nose and voted for HRC. I heard someone say recently, "The Democrats ran the only candidate who could lose to any Republican. The Republicans ran the only candidate which could lose to HRC." Unfortunately, the Republican candidate was not an "established politician". The result was the "protest vote" was enough to carry the day in a polarized public in which, 40% are always going to vote for the D and 40% are always going to vote for the R.

80% of the people who voted for Trump are giving him good marks overall. Their spin would go something like this: "Yeah, he has had some gaffs -- but he is fighting against the establishment politicians and at least is trying to do the things he said he would do."

Which, in part, is true. He is trying to kick out the illegals, he is trying to get his wall built, and he is fighting the established politicians. He has removed some regulations. He pulled out of the Paris climate accords. All of those are big pluses for most Trump voters. However, he also said he would give us better, cheaper health care. He said he wouldn't cut Medicaid or Medicare. He's failed to do the former and attempted to do the latter. He is also seemingly doing his best to start a war with North Korea. Plus a dozen other things I don't have at my fingertips an hour past my normal bed time.

TLDR: Most Trump voters are satisfied with what they have gotten so far, even if they are irked by Trump's behavior.

He's also staffed his cabinet with Goldman Sachs execs, and practically everyone he appoints has no relevant experience for the position, or has major conflicts of interest.

Oh, and the lies... so... many... lies. Remember back when he had no business with Russia, or any deals with Russia, and nobody associated with his campaign had any communications with Russia?

That was back before we knew practically everyone in his campaign were meeting with Russians, and he was working a deal to build a huge skyscraper in Russia.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 6, 2017, 21:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Ajit Pai is such a fucking twatwaffle. Yeah, MAGA everybody!! Let's hear it for slower Internet speeds!! That'll show everyone how innovative and productive we are!!  

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 3, 2017, 16:10 Wowbagger_TIP

WaltC wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:35:
Welcome to the Obama world of The Big Stupid...;)

Lol! The Big Stupid is the guy that just got elected, as he's been demonstrating constantly. Never would have believed such a child-like imbecile could be elected, but he really managed to speak to the others out there that can't spot an obvious bullshitter. Someone has to keep the Nigerian prince types rolling in cash though, I suppose.

News Comments > High Hell Announced
5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 3, 2017, 01:02 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm fine with stylized, but that just doesn't look like much fun to me.  

20. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 1, 2017, 20:45 Wowbagger_TIP

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 15:27:
some things are unbelievable

Yeah, that was a serious WTF article for me. Of course that cop is still on active duty rather than being charged with assault and wrongful arrest.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 30, 2017, 23:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Could be the next Telltale game, with tits and dragons and incest!  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
45. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 30, 2017, 01:22 Wowbagger_TIP

Ok, I played some more tonight. Ran the Strike mission twice. Failed the first time, beat it the second. Verdict: This shit is boooooring.

I don't see myself getting into it at all. It's weird, because it seems like it should be something I'd like. I love the Borderlands games. This just doesn't feel right though.

24. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 18:16 Wowbagger_TIP

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:54:
hmmm, wen't down that hallway and there was a robot sweeping with a broom but couldn't go any further, the door wouldn't open.

I didn't see the door open the first time i went down there either. Went back and it was open. Think it's the door to the left at the end of the hall.

Overall it feels ok, but without some way to judge how the progression and other abilities will feel, and how repetitive the game will feel overall, I'm still on the fence on this one.

Matchmaking did seem really slow. I waited a few minutes, but it was still searching, and at 1/3, so I cancelled out and exited. I'll give it some more time later and see if it gets any better.

4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 14:21 Wowbagger_TIP

Alamar wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:06:
Which ran really well (after disabling AA/lowering Shadows, like I do on most titles at 4K, on a 980 Ti)... I wasn't staring at the frame rate during the Strike (that I played 3 times), but did not notice any frame rate issues, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Probably helps that I played with a friend that wouldn't run off every time I died heh (and vice versa).

Think this will be enjoyable playing solo? Are pub groups a thing? My gaming opportunities tend to be rather random and inconsistent, so any kind of regular gaming time with others is unlikely for me.

Oh, and I'm most likely all in on Shadow of War too. Had a lot of fun with the first one

2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 13:38 Wowbagger_TIP

Since I never played the first, I'm hoping this one will feel fresh and fun for me. I'm downloading the beta now, so I'll hopefully be playing in a couple of hours. Maybe that will be enough to tell me whether it's worth pre-ordering for whatever extra stuff that gets me. Of course there's 2 months before release, so no real rush to pre-order.  

News Comments > X4: Foundations Announced
25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 28, 2017, 22:53 Wowbagger_TIP

I liked the earlier X games, but really I think I'd just like another Freespace game...  

13. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 28, 2017, 22:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Seemed kinda weird to me that there was no mention of the Destiny 2 PC Beta starting today. Open beta starts tomorrow. I'm hoping to get to try it out. Don't really have any idea what to expect yet, even after watching some vids. Hoping that it will still be fun even if I'm mostly playing solo.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Launch Trailer
1. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 21, 2017, 22:02 Wowbagger_TIP

I never played the first one. Will have to see how reviews turn out for this.  

News Comments > Ruiner Next Month
2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 21, 2017, 22:01 Wowbagger_TIP

That does look pretty cool. Need to add it to my list.  

News Comments > Debris Announced
2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 20, 2017, 22:23 Wowbagger_TIP

Sounds intriguing. I'll have to keep an eye out for it and see how it turns out.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 10, 2017, 00:16 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 18:23:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:15:
I've played most previous BL games in solo. I just can't commit to a time when people available to play coop.
If solo will be an afterthought in BL3 I'll skip it.

So did I, but I would not call it a fun experience.... and quite a bit of "raid" content is not accessible to you and a few of the boss fights are absolutely unfair (not spawning any easy to kill enemies to get back on foot, the Jack fight in particular comes to mind)

But really it's my primary fear for Anthem, when a game demos on E3 in coop, then it's designed as coop game. SP will be horrible to play.

Yeah, that was my concern about Anthem too. Game looks amazing, but I can't really dedicate time to playing with a group on anything resembling a consistent basis. I do remember reading something from an interview where they said it would be fully playable as a solo game, but you could probably say that about Borderlands too.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
21. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 8, 2017, 01:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Primalchrome wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 09:55:
Retired wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 21:04:
I don't have the weapons to defeat the side bosses.
Note that the bosses everyone is complaining about are referred to as "Raid Bosses". They're not meant to be taken down solo. It's not a matter of the weapon you're using...hit them with a party of 3+ or 2+ if you're geared for multiplayer play.

I don't do multiplayer in these kinds of games. Don't understand why they would gate that stuff for multi. Why not just scale the difficulty to the number of players?

4448 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo