Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 4206 (Master)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
17. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Plans Nov 20, 2015, 00:54 Wowbagger_TIP

I haven't experience much trouble with the game at all. Had the weapon switching issues, where my gun would be invisible sometimes, and a weird issue once where the pipboy interface somehow messed up the cursor so that it was offset by some amount after that. But that just happened once. Never had the issue getting stuck to a terminal.

All in all, this is probably the least buggy-at-release Beth game I've played. I'll probably get the beta patch. Maybe it'll fix the weapon switching thing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 19, 2015, 01:25 Wowbagger_TIP

I think the plan has little to do with foreign terrorists, and everything to do with the surveillance state. If effective encryption is banned, then they don't even need to worry about what you're actually protecting with it. You're already a criminal! No fuss, no muss on their part. They can just lock you up and be done. The prisons make their cash and everyone in power is happy.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Just Cause 3 4K Trailer
16. Re: Just Cause 3 4K Trailer Nov 19, 2015, 00:10 Wowbagger_TIP

Kxmode wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 19:16:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 13:28:
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 10:46:
pssssht, I'm waiting for this 4k fad to pass. Bring on 8k!!!

8K is for peasants with AMD hardware. The real action is at 16K.

That's just superfluous. Anyone with any sense knows 64K is where it's at.

Well, I'll just go ahead and point out that nobody will ever need more than 640K

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
10. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 18, 2015, 22:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Only problem I've had was my Witcher 3 key showing up a little late. I did get it a few hours later, and it worked. They gave me a 40% off coupon as well. Unfortunately they neglected to put the expiration date someplace prominent. I thought since it was kind of an apology coupon that it wouldn't expire. Sadly, no. It was buried in their usual boilerplate black section at the bottom. That kinda pissed me off. But as long as they're offering good prices, I'll probably still buy from them. I don't really care about Steam refund. I tend to know for sure whether I want a game or not before I buy.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
39. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 15:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Tumbler wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 14:44:
KS wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 12:59:
Getting it out the door before the movie is 2,400% the driving factor. If they were short on time, someone goofed. This is the biggest game company securing the rights to the biggest franchise property. No room for amature management.

I don't think there is anything amateur about this. It's just not possible to make a game better than this in such a short period of time.

As a consumer I'm certain you'll have the option to buy a more complete game a year from now for $60 that includes most, if not all, of the DLC in the season pass. If anything EA just gave consumers the option to buy in early at a higher price or wait until next year when the game can be properly released with all the content you'd expect for $60.

It's not marketed that way though, but there seems to be no confusion that a lot of additional content is coming to fill this game out. Given the two choices, wait and play this late in 2016 with everything and feel good about $60 or get it early and pay a higher price to play it now and get updates over the next year I'm not sure this is such a bad choice.

I got some RPG's to finish though. Getting close to the end of Divinity Original sin, then Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, then Fallout 4, then...Hearthstone, gotta work that in too... so many games to play.

As someone pointed out earlier, given the size of the companies and franchise involved, if they didn't have enough time, then someone screwed up royally.

News Comments > Fallen Enchantress Ultimate Edition Released
3. Re: Fallen Enchantress Ultimate Edition Released Nov 16, 2015, 22:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Jivaro wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 22:02:
Am I missing something? You have to buy the whole thing all over again? If you own Fallen Enchantress or the Legendary Heroes exp pack you can't do some kind of upgrade?

It's like selling a game the same way the cable company sells it's services. Charge existing customers the most when they renew, give your discounts to the new customers.

Pretty sure you get all the new stuff for free if you already own another edition. It says so right in the quote up there. I'll quote it again for your convenience:
If you already own these titles, you donít have to purchase the Ultimate Edition to enjoy all of these new features - we have added them into the existing versions of the game.Ē

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2015, 15:19 Wowbagger_TIP

I leave that poor mutt all over the place. I play a mostly stealth char right now, so I'm always ordering him to stay before I go in somewhere that I want to be quiet. Then I forget to go back and get him half the time. So far he's always shown up again for me. Nice to have the console command just in case though.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
129. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 15, 2015, 22:36 Wowbagger_TIP

bleh  

News Comments > TRANSFORMERS: Devastation DLC
7. Re: TRANSFORMERS: Devastation DLC Nov 15, 2015, 02:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Meh... total GoBots ripoff.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
51. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 17:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 17:11:
Alamar wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 10:36:
I do like the one click to dump off crafting 'Junk' though,

Wait what what what what what???!!! What? How? Where?????

That's available when you're dumping at the workbench. There's a key to dump all "junk" items automatically. Don't remember what key, but it shows it on the screen at the bottom.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Launches
20. Re: Steam Hardware Launches Nov 11, 2015, 17:37 Wowbagger_TIP

I just put the batteries in mine, but didn't have any problem with the cover. Push the little slider to the right and the cover pops open. Closing it, it just clicks back into place. I didn't feel like I could break it. Hoping to give the controller a try later tonight.  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Launches
4. Re: Steam Hardware Launches Nov 10, 2015, 21:39 Wowbagger_TIP

My Steam Link and controller just arrived today. I probably won't get to spend any time with it until this weekend though. Stupid job... Furious2  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
55. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 10, 2015, 16:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I've got an R9 390. Runs like butter for me.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
94. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 10, 2015, 13:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 12:24:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 12:18:
That EULA doesn't seem very clear to me. Seems like it's saying you can't use a VPN for any reason. I think they used a comma incorrectly there.

EULA = licensing agreement for the software you're installing
SSA = An agreement you abide by for using the Steam service

They are not the same.

Sure, my mistake. It's irrelevant to my point though.

92. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 10, 2015, 12:18 Wowbagger_TIP

That EULA doesn't seem very clear to me. Seems like it's saying you can't use a VPN for any reason. I think they used a comma incorrectly there.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans
23. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 21:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 14:09:
Okay, let me ask this. Do you believe it would negatively impact PoE if players were allowed to re-spec their characters whenever they wanted to?
Yeah, I think it would be detrimental to the game. If you only have to level a character once, then the early game ceases to matter anymore. Heck, why even bother having classes... or early levels. Make everyone start at lvl100 and play only endgame maps. I just think it wouldn't be as interesting if there is no investment in building a specific type of character. I understand that that's just my opinion, but that's why there are different types of games to suit different players.

I do think they could do more to make the leveling process more interesting and less repetitive. I'd like to see them remove Cruel difficulty altogether, and add some more optional content along the way. Most optional content currently has little to no reward associated with it, so it gets skipped. Basically I want the leveling process to be fun and interesting rather than just a chore obstacle to pass to get to the endgame. I think they've been moving in that direction though.

They did do a lot in the most recent Awakening expansion to streamline leveling in terms of removing some annoying areas and improving the flow through the various zones. They added gems to vendors and made linked gear more common earlier on so that you can actually use the gems you get. They added some other QoL changes too.

News Comments > Game Reviews
18. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:31 Wowbagger_TIP

I actually like some of the changes, like the removal of skills. I never really got much out of adding a few points to a skill, which may or may not cross some threshold to make it more useful. Rolling those into the perks seems like a better way of doing it to me.

I expect problems and patches early on, but I still plan to play it and have fun with it, because that's always how it goes with Beth's games. They transcend their flaws.

30. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 13:19 Wowbagger_TIP

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:26:
Envy is a nasty emotion. It's not my fault you're poor.
So is entitlement. Pretending there's some obligation to support SLI is kind of ridiculous. I couldn't find any good numbers on SLI use by gamers. Steam hardware survey doesn't seem to even track it. Only 35% play at or above 1080p though, so I imagine the percentage using multiple GPUs is miniscule.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:26:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:02:
They've said that the PC version isn't locked on either FPS or resolution, so I'm sure it's a simple case of switching a 1 into a 0 in the Fallout4.ini file.
Gamers shouldn't have to edit .ini files to get around a restriction that shouldn't exist. If they want to limit the framerate it should be a in-game option. It's not like high refresh rate monitors or SLI are uncommon.

Why is it so hard for developers to get the basics right? The lack of SLI support is inexcusable.
SLI support is hardly basic. Your perception is warped. It's one of those things that affects a tiny minority of people, and can be safely backburnered if there are time or resource constraints.

21. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 11:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 09:57:
So, you are saying that after building to 35 or so, even if I did a good build but want to try a different one -- it somehow makes PoE a better game that the best way to do that is build another character to level 35? Not quite sure I follow that logic, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. *shrug*

I didn't say it makes PoE a better game. I said it's different, and is suited to types of players that don't see that as a big deal. I can level a character to 35 in a few hours. Endgame starts around level 65-70. Level 35 is really just getting started. Hell, you can't even use a lot of support gems until that point.

Another thing to note is that you get free full respecs for all of your existing characters when they do a patch that makes any significant change to the skill tree. So those level 70+ characters I have in Standard league all get respecs at the start of each new league, and sometimes in between as well. Nice for trying out some new build to see if it works.

19. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 09:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Krovven wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 02:18:
There's a difference between learning the game and finding you don't like a skill much, or you find one that is just more fun to use. A new player should not get "screwed" at all while they are learning the game. Majority of people don't want to spend X number of hours getting to level 35-40+ with whatever skill and tree selections to match, only to find, it's not that fun, or not that powerful.

The Witch Arc guide actually says to level up using Fire skills Firestorm and Fire Totem (I think), even though you are dropping all your points into Lightning to use Arc later. How fucked up is that when other elemental skills are more powerful than your "endgame build" even though you are putting points into a different damage element? After getting to the point of using Arc and supporting it with the other gems...I still preferred Firestorm and it still killed faster than Arc did generally...what if I had put the focus on Fire element dmg instead?

I've still got a long way to get at the end game...but if I'm running into that issue now, do I want to spend another 20hrs to find out I prefer something different entirely?

There are some serious design issues and playability issues that are a problem and why I'll stick with D3 most of the time when choosing between the two.
I guess that was kind of my point. D3 lets you level each class once, and then respec them into the various builds at will. PoE has a much more complex skill system, and you can create far more unique characters with it. The downside being that each one is actually a unique character that you can only change so much. They're very different types of game.

As for the Arc leveling stuff, Flame Totem and Firestorm are great leveling skills, but Arc is more of a late-blooming skill since it works best with certain support gems and items. I've seen some really great Arc builds that kill stuff pretty fast. I'd have to see your actual build to know for sure, but I suspect that you either hadn't gotten to the point where Arc is more effective, or didn't have the right supports or gear for it. Flame Totem is a pretty good endgame build too. I played one for part of last league. But it's just a very different style of play, and still isn't super-powerful in high level maps.

4206 Comments. 211 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo