Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 4275 (Master)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Free Update 5 Now; New DLC Next Week
11. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 8, 2016, 20:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Sucks that they didn't really deliver the multiplayer features everyone wanted. I still feel I got my money's worth from the SP campaign. Being able to play deathmatch with bots will be nice too.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 7, 2016, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 00:07:
well if you think the mainstream media provides reliable information where were you the last year or so? I actually dreaded the news these past few months with all the disinformation on the election. Especially CNN and the NYT. I think the Daily Enquirer would put them to shame. Certainly not a Trump fan, but the way the media treated stories about him, they certainly could make a spec of dust look like a major mountain.

No, his supporters and surrogates were just willing to excuse and defend every horrible thing he did. The media were absolutely correct to report on these things.

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 00:07:
I think all the media dips into the fake news category at times these days to sell their networks. Especially if it does not jive with their political leanings. I generally have to check out a story that interests me on multiple networks to get the true story as all tend to shade the story. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

I'll agree that they often report on things before they get all the facts in or the context needed to report it fully. That's generally the 24x7 cable networks and some of the major internet outlets that feel the need to be constantly posting new info even before they have all the facts.

That's still a lot different than the crap we see coming out of sites like Infowars and others that are peddling outright manufactured bullshit. Or even stuff like the link I posted a few posts back where a cherry-picked fact was being taken out of context to spin a tale of complete and utter bullshit.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 6, 2016, 20:03 Wowbagger_TIP

DangerDog wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 19:40:
speaking of fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YwIkknxE8E

Small potatoes compared to the real fake stuff going around. At least that isn't likely to entice someone to shoot up a restaurant.

Here's a good example of tier 3 though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhdymoRTz6M

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2016, 20:39.

News Comments > Path of Exile Breach Launches
8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 4, 2016, 23:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Just got to start playing last night. The Breach mechanics are fun! It can get seriously hectic at times too. This looks to be a pretty cool league.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 27, 2016, 14:53 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 13:19:
Zanthar wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 12:44:
Fake news about fake news. Fake news was not fake news when the fake Dan Rather or the fake Brian Williams were fired or the face CNN handed out debate questions to the fake Hillary.

This is why sane people abandon the democrats and become independent.

The other side isn't any different in this regards at all, I've always been independent fwiw. But I do feel there has been a definite uptick of a lot more fake news sites/articles than ever. If anyone has a Facebook account, you'd see that near daily. Prior to this I have had a hard time with really feeling concrete on news given to me, now with this, really how does anyone really think they know on so many subjects these days? They don't, but god damn if many aren't certain of it. It's all purposeful muddied waters. It's terrible really, but also reality.

Exactly. It's definitely not one side doing it. Each side has it's own echo chamber that propogates these things.

Let's not pretend that all news outlets are the same. Sure, none of them are perfect, but there are those that crank out fake news on a pretty constant basis, and those that just screw up now and then. Creating a false equivalency and declaring all news sources to be fake is just wrong and won't do anything to improve the situation.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free DLC Next Week
17. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 23, 2016, 20:10 Wowbagger_TIP

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 10:13:
You've done it now...based on this thread, I went ahead and bought into Titanfall 2. I better not be the only one trying to find a match in a week!

I bought it too. Hope it's good! I'll probably be online getting my ass kicked this weekend.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 22, 2016, 14:04 Wowbagger_TIP

SirKnight wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 13:34:
Chipotle's '300-calorie burrito' left customer too full, and he's suing.

I hope those idiots lose so bad and owe enormous amounts of money in lawyer fees. They want, I'm guessing, tons of money from Chipotle just because they are too stupid to realize that there is no way a burrito with all of those things in it can be 300 calories. No common sense AT ALL. I have not seen the sign advertising the chorizo, but most likely it's very clear the 300 calorie claim is for the chorizo not a whole burrito. Some people though...

Just go on Chipotle's website and you'll see the tortilla alone is 300 calories! And it always has been I'm sure. I just took a wild guess based on my life history of eating torillas and being familiar with calories and figured the tortilla alone was probably around 300 calories. Looked on their site and yep it was!

How these guys suing are still alive this long is baffling...

Look, the guys suing are idiots, no doubt, but Chipotle's advertising on this was clearly misleading. They should face some sort of fine for deceptive advertising, and the morons suing them should get reimbursed the cost of a burrito.

News Comments > The Division Survival Expansion Tomorrow
10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 22, 2016, 09:57 Wowbagger_TIP

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 08:56:
I use to like going into the Dark Zones by myself, spend a few hours getting stuff to the extraction point. But with this Cut the Wire shit, if there are 2 people there they can kill me and waste all the time I spent carefully getting through the Dark Zone.

Yep, the game has been a clusterfuck from day one. The completely incompetent programming that allowed for client-side hacks for teleporting and fire rate and such were the tell-tale early warning signs that this developer has no fucking clue what they're doing. Then they just continued to prove that over time.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 20, 2016, 11:38 Wowbagger_TIP

Best PoE update in a while. So many great quality of life changes, and the new DX11 client performs so much better!

They also just announced that the next new challenge league starts on Dec 2. Breach league. Looking forward to that. The Atlas of Worlds expansion did a lot to make the game look a lot better too. Some of the maps are really fantastic.

203. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 18, 2016, 11:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 23:49:
I'm enjoying the transition news. Funny as hell.

You mean his "very organized process" isn't? Lol, who could have guessed?! I'm guessing he's looking for a way to get someone else to run things so he can just chill and tweet all day, and maybe do the occasional rally. He's gonna hate his life by inauguration day otherwise.

News Comments > Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy Game Revealed
6. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 14, 2016, 21:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Fion wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 14:42:
Holy shit awesome! I also skipped the Batman one as I'm not a fan but I did hear it was good.

As much as I am now excited for a Telltale GotG game, I wish they'd put someone back on Wolf Among Us, I want a season 2 for that game SO BAD!

Wolf Among Us is the only one I've played so far. It was great, and I'd love a second season as well. What's the next best one I should play? Anyone got a recommendation?

47. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 12, 2016, 11:40 Wowbagger_TIP

bigspender wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 20:14:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 17:06:
Dacote wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:58:
bigspender wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:32:
It's pretty disgusting really. Surely we have enough people in jail that are owe something to society? The people who didn't have a problem with taking someone elses human rights way.
You're joking right? If not, then that wins fucked up idea of the day. http://www.innocenceproject.org/

It's insane as you go through those cases and see how the cops and prosecutors outright lied and forced other people to lie and hide evidence. Those fuckers should all have to go to prison for the same amount of time for the hell they put those people through. Yet, nothing ever happens to them, they don't even lose their jobs, pensions, etc. I would hope they're at least criminally liable in a civil suit.

No, I'm not joking.

Consider the following example (has happened several times in my city):

Your child is "sucker punched" in the back of the head. He is knocked unconscious, falls, and hit's his head on concrete. He is now brain damaged or paralyzed, and for the rest of his life he will need a full time carer to perform his most basic needs for him such as going to the toilet, eating and getting dressed.

We have video footage from multiple sources of an unprovoked attack on your son, and the attacker is identified with 100% certainty.

We can quite easily workout what value has been taken from your son's life. The attacker made a choice to rob your son of financial, emotional, and physical value. We can say that the attacker is now in debt to your son of these values.

The current justice system is punishment based. However no amount of jail time for the attacker will repay this debt to your son.

So I think the justice system should be value based. The attacker should repay the lost value as much as possible - in this extreme case, it means the attacker will be used to find a cure for paralysis. This would go some way to returning the lost values from your son's life, but also it would benefit many other people suffering from similar disabilities - perhaps actually restoring exponentially more value than was taken.

What would the value based justice system bring us?
1. Similar to our current justice system it would dissuade the criminal in the first place - people would know that by taking away other peoples values, they automatically forfeit those values from their own life.
2. Unlike the current justice system, this would go to some way of restoring the values taken from the victims.
3. Encourages empathetic behavior and makes people aware of what values life has - as whatever you decide is good enough for others, must be good enough for you. But unlike the eye-for-an-eye principle, instead of making more people blind, vision would be returned to the person who did not deserve for it to be taken.
4. In a weird way it might stop police shooting first and asking questions later, if they know that capturing a suspect could result in adding value back to society. Instead of having the mentality of "let's teach this guy a lesson".

Yes there are many cases that aren't clear cut, or there isn't enough evidence - of course these people wouldn't be used for such a thing - these would be dealt with how they are now. For this value return system we'd need a 100% degree of certainty. And with video footage being recorded everywhere by multiple sources there are many cases where this would apply. And some good would come out of a bad situation.

And of course there are situations that aren't as drastic as this, so not everyone would be immediately used for vivisection, and it wouldn't be used for accidental crimes, only for truly malicious ones. E.g. someone might spike your sister's drink - and if caught with sufficient evidence, then it means they've volunteered drug testing. It's really just an extension of having your property returned to you if you've been robbed.

Since I'm talking about value - those monkeys owe nothing to anyone. They haven't taken anything from anyone, so why are they paying? They just have the misfortune of being born to a parent that was artificially inseminated in a lab.

You're deranged.

197. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 12, 2016, 11:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 10:47:
Well said. Whether "Trumpism" is an illusion or not is in part based on what you think that is. If you think it means a movement centered around DJT, then you are right -- that is an illusion. However, it is clear there is a large, deeply dissatisfied group of people out there. However, it seems unlikely to me DJT will actually do anything to soothe their dissatisfaction. Hence that pool of voters will continue to exist and could again rise to cause ripples in the system. That is not an illusion.

On the other hand, as I indicated earlier, the most telling thing in the election was the vote totals. Both candidates got fewer votes than the loser of the 2012 elections without a third party candidate getting vote totals of consequence ie.. this wasn't a situation like 1992 where Perot got 18% of the vote. This pretty much tells me the Ds lost this election because those people who don't always vote but were excited by Obama didn't vote this time. And that is a major problem for the Ds.

No doubt, Hillary was a terrible candidate. They should have realized that when Obama beat her. To make things worse, she had no message that anyone cared about, which pretty much sealed her fate. All she had going for her was Trump being his usual terrible self.

They need to clean house at the DNC. Maybe start by making Bernie's pick, Keith Ellison, the new chair. Anyone from Hillary's camp needs to go. Then they need to start growing a goddamned spine and pay attention to the people they've been ignoring for years now. The same people that voted for Trump, or just stayed home, because the Dems don't seem to be talking to them.

Trump did talk to them, and they felt like he was addressing their needs. Unfortunately he doesn't have the ability or intention to really follow through on that stuff, and we'll be back to the usual GOP playbook by the time he's inaugurated.

I hope Politifact does another listing like their Obameter, that tracks Trump's progress on delivering on his promises. I'm guessing he's not going to do anywhere near as well as Obama, even with both houses on his side.

193. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 23:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 23:00:
Maybe so, jd -- but a win is a win. And the price of losing will be paid for decades to come.

That is true. I think we're going to find out that Trumpism is an illusion. Trump doesn't have any strongly held ideology. During the campaign, he was doing what he does in business. Bluster and bullshit, reading the room, and readjusting his bluster and bullshit for maximum effect.

Trump doesn't know enough about any given issue to have a strong opinion on it. He's extremely easily influenced by those that have access to him. What will happen is that the people that are closest to him will control who gets access to him, and thereby get their own plans put into motion.

Trump will end up presiding over an extremely conservative, establishment GOP administration. He will be a rubber stamp for the Republican Congress, and all those ideas he talked about during the campaign will be quietly discarded or re-molded into some GOP-approvable form. It's already starting, and we're only a few days in.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Released
12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 18:35 Wowbagger_TIP

I'll wait for patches. Willing to pay full price if they fix the performance issues. Have plenty of other things to play though, so no rush.  

183. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 14:31 Wowbagger_TIP

The promises continue evaporating. In addition to dismissing term limits, and putting long-time career politicians into the cabinet, we have further developments.

Now it looks like the wall will be just more fencing.

Now, Donald Trump is offering the job of Treasury Secretary to Jamie Dimon, the man he called "the worst banker in the United States" just a couple years ago.

Oh, and for all the talk by the right-wingers that we should pay attention to the other side and reach out to them, we now see Newt Gingrich laughing about how they're going to shut out the traitors and those who didn't show sufficient support and respect for Mr. Trump. There will be no cooperating with Democrats. It's steamrolling time.

#DrainTheSwamp

45. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 14:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:55:
Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:41:
Markets at record high! hahahahah
It's not all roses, gambling is still gambling. Watch "The Big Short"
http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/YHOO?ltr=1

I take issue with your statement and here's why. There is a huge difference between gambling and investing. One uses random chance; the other relies on analytical stats.

There's always random chance involved. They may limit it more, but there's also a huge difference between the markets and typical games of chance. With the games, all the variables are known, and you can generally establish your odds of winning.

With the markets and the kinds of complex securities that they invest in, they often don't know all the variables. They don't know all the inter-connections or interactions that could affect their worth. How do you regulate something you don't understand? If you can't warn investors because you can't determine the actual risk, we have a problem.

So, sure, they try to control the variables as much as possible, but they also keep pushing the envelope with ever more complex types of investment. They are very much gambling. They don't know all the variables, so they can't calculate accurate odds.

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:29:
Gambling, in all its forms, relies solely on random outcomes.
This is absolutely false. Gambling isn't solely reliant on randomness. Many games have a skill element, yet are still considered gambling because there is also a very significant random element. Poker would be a good example.

181. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 09:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Redmask wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 07:41:
nin wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:43:
Don't forget Christie! Gotta fit fattyfattybridgeboy in there somewhere!

It would be great if we didn't sink to their level, this is in really bad taste. Rise above, don't sink below.

This is just scratching the surface. So yeah, you could say that I think anyone voting for the guy based on his plans is crazy or illiterate, or both.

Those 'crazy' people just won the house, senate and presidency. Maybe we could stand to listen a little more.

No amount of listening is going to make that pile of nonsense he calls "plans" any better. If listening to Trump himself isn't enough to convince you that he doesn't know a damned thing about anything, then reading the plans on his website certainly should.

So, maybe you want change. Fine, I get that. I do too. But Trump isn't change. He's already proving it with his cabinet picks.

He isn't going to fix things for you, you can see that just by looking at the fact that he has no actual plans. He's just going to end up doing what Republicans always do, and nothing is going to get better for his supporters, or anyone else, aside from those who are already doing extremely well.

168. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 00:12 Wowbagger_TIP

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:43:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:14:
We've already seen that it looks like he's putting guys like Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich in his cabinet. What happened to draining the swamp??

Don't forget Christie! Gotta fit fattyfattybridgeboy in there somewhere!

Then we have McConnell coming out to say they aren't doing the term limits either. Promises are evaporating pretty quickly.

You sound surprised by this. The guy is a bullshit artist who promised everything to everyone, as long as they got onboard.

No, I'm not at all surprised by it. I've read a lot of the proposals he has up on his website. It's all a bunch of nonsense that's often contradictory. His tax plan is insane, and will leave him no money for the wall or anything else, since we'll be trillions in the hole at that point. He has no idea about anything regarding the military (but I'm sure he knows a lot more than the generals!), but wants to "rebuild" it, which probably just means more handouts to defense contractors. He's just trading one set of crony capitalists for another set.

He's going to repeal Obamacare and replace it with.... something that makes no sense. His health care plan calls for reducing barriers to entry for drug providers, and simultaneously ensuring that their products are safe, more reliable, and cheaper. WTF is he smoking? Oh, and also the old selling plans across state lines, as long as they meet the state's requirements, which is meaningless, as they can already do that.

This is just scratching the surface. So yeah, you could say that I think anyone voting for the guy based on his plans is crazy or illiterate, or both.

166. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 10, 2016, 23:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 10:11:
That they are willing to overlook that he's an utterly vile human being, as I explained in my previous post, just because he's making crazy promises, and for many because he hates the same people they hate, makes Trump voters look like a combination of fools and vile human beings themselves.

Maybe but that's what people wanted, the chance of it happening. Certainly wasn't going to be possible under Clinton from their perspective. Trump will get a chance to make good on his promises and if he doesn't then he will be held accountable in the next election. In the meantime rather than blaming Trump voters I think there's a fair amount of blame to go around in the Democratic party.

You guys had a real shot with Sanders, not sure why the signs were continually ignored. Hell I would've voted for Sanders and I'm fairly right of center.

I'm not a Democrat, I'm an independent. Sanders was absolutely the better candidate though. I have my doubts about Trump being held accountable for much of anything.

We've already seen that it looks like he's putting guys like Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich in his cabinet. What happened to draining the swamp?? Then we have McConnell coming out to say they aren't doing the term limits either. Promises are evaporating pretty quickly.

4275 Comments. 214 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo