Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 4410 (Master)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Path of Exile: War for the Atlas Launches
1. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 9, 2017, 14:51 Wowbagger_TIP

New league is pretty fun. Reminds me of Breach league, but I like the Abyss mechanic even better! GGG somehow manages to keep cranking out great content every few months. Other devs should take note. This is how you run a free-to-play game.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division Patch Tomorrow, Free Weekend Starts Thursday
4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 5, 2017, 02:16 Wowbagger_TIP

The missions need some kind of variability to keep them from being the straight linear grinds that they are. They need random events, ambushes, and more variations in paths and layouts.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 29, 2017, 11:23 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, I'm done. You're not actually answering anything or providing any reasoning or new information, you're just hurling insults to deflect from your lack of evidence or explanation. This is pretty typical of the other bitcoin fanatics I've encountered. Your argument amounts to "it's worth a lot right now, so it must make complete sense for it to be worth a lot". This ignores a long history of bubbles that have resulted from similar thinking. Good luck with your crusade.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 29, 2017, 01:30 Wowbagger_TIP

He hasn't even been in the White House for a full year yet, and it's been a complete shitshow. I don't know how we make it through another year of this bullshit.

What's worse than the legislation and executive orders is the judges that he's appointing. The other stuff can be fixed, at least mostly, but we're not going to be able to do a damned thing about those judges. One of his nominees has never tried a case before! WTF?

16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 29, 2017, 01:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Graham wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:05:
I think you're being distracted by the price change in bitcoin as a commodity - which has a same curve as Apple and Amazon over the same time period.
Wait, what? How are you comparing it to stocks now?

So let's address your questions:

>who spends a currency that is rising in value like this?

Apparently the people who are conducting $2b in transactions per day. Question answered.
As I said, it just seems like speculation, not people spending it as a currency, just investing in it like a commodity, except it isn't actually a commodity.

>What actual value does it have?

Apparently a rising one, even despite fluctuations. Oh look, LITERALLY below the bitcoin headline is the headline "stocks off to a mixed start as retailers ready for cyber monday" - the stock market has crashed harder than bitcoin ever has, and yet you have no problem understanding that. The other value? It's a decentralized currency where no one can decide to simply print more money, devaluing what you already have. Don't you love having to beg for a raise every year because the $80k salary you had last year is worth $77k of buying power this year?
Companies have value. They have assets and intellectual property. They create products and generate revenues. What does a bitcoin do? What does it do that couldn't be done by any of a hundred other crypto currencies? Seems like buying into a company that doesn't do anything.

Even if I wanted to spend it like the currency that people claim it is, why would I do that, knowing that what I just gave someone will be worth more to me tomorrow if I save it instead?

>What happens when they eventually realize it doesn't have any real value?

Again, regulation-free, decentralized, world wide transactions that don't require a bank and that keep governments and businesses out of your business doesn't appeal to you? Alright then. Your call, dude.
What's really keeping government out of it? There's no reason at all that governments couldn't kill the currency if they decided to.

>Seems like a kind of pyramid scheme...

Seems like you can't be bothered to take even a few minutes to look into how the technology works and why it's important.
I have looked into how it works, and I understand blockchain. It could be very useful for lots of things, but that still doesn't explain why Bitcoins are so valuable.

And it's not just bitcoin, it's blockchain technologies in general. Tell you what - you keep doing what you're doing and let me know how things fare for you in a few years.
I'm not arguing against the usefulness of blockchain technologies, so don't create some straw man around that.

Me, I just built another gaming PC from literally .14 btc that took me about two weeks to minute four years ago. Fun fact: it'll mine some more crypto for me, and maybe we can have this conversation again in four years.
Good for you. I may dabble in some blockchain tech, but not one that doesn't actually seem to do anything particularly well, and appears to be getting by on its first-mover status and network effects, but doesn't seem to be able to sustain a high level of transactions, and is apparently used primarily for speculation.

14. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 28, 2017, 19:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Graham wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 05:08:
$161 billion dollar market cap, with $2 billion in transactions daily. Decentralized and it's being used as currency.

Again, sorry that you don't get it, but your fundamental lack of understanding isn't bitcoin's problem.

Honestly it sounds like a lot of sour grapes from people who probably had the gear to mine this stuff and just didn't bother. Tough is your luck.

Lol, none of that addresses my question or the issues I was asking about.

8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 27, 2017, 21:07 Wowbagger_TIP

As far as I can tell, Bitcoin "investing" is just gambling on a commodity with no inherent value. It's not a useful currency, because who spends a currency that is rising in value like this? The transaction fees and time are also a hindrance to its usefulness as a currency. What actual value does it have? Seems like only what it derives from the network effect of many people adopting it. What happens when they eventually realize it doesn't have any real value?

Seems like a kind of pyramid scheme... those that bought in early ride the wave up and sell off to those coming later, who attempt to do the same even later. Few seem to find any actual use for Bitcoin as a currency though. It's an all-or-nothing proposition, a bubble waiting to pop. It will keep rising, right up until it pops and people are left with useless bits on a hard drive.

What am I missing here?

News Comments > Black Friday Legal Briefs
4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 25, 2017, 03:25 Wowbagger_TIP

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:41:
Of course it's bad if you have fraud going on, but how do they determine what comments are "real" or not? Because loads of pro net neutrality people use sites like EFF or Demand Progress to automatically send messages for these kinds of things, and I would think that probably looks similar to corporate lobbies sending in a bunch of fake comments against it. Especially when most don't bother to customize the pre-written template they're given, if they even read the thing... Are they looking for legit, unique names and addresses attached to them as well?

The way it was easy to tell that it was bot spam at the time was that we were actually watching the names come in in alphabetical order for almost all of the anti-NN messages. It was infuriating, yet also hilariously incompetent at the same time.

That pretty much sums up this entire administration, now that I think about it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 17, 2017, 02:57 Wowbagger_TIP

MrGrosser wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 14:09:
RedEye9 wrote:
This happened while he was a comedian, they do comedic things. That's why it's called comedy.

Everyone nowadays is coming out with something on everyone else. You dig deep in just about anyone's background, you're probably going to find something. And I know I'm the first to start throwing rocks, especially if they are opposite of my political views.. and I'm not trying to defend Fraken because he's a democrat and he is from my state... it's the repeat offenders that I'm worried about.
Now I'm sure some might say, grab someone by the pussy once.. that's fine. Multiple times.. now that's a beating.. but in this case.. he groped her, over a flak jacket. I'm starting to hear victim noises.

I was never really a fan of Franken as a comedian. I like him better as a senator. I think he responded well to the accusations against him.

Full text of his statement is at the bottom of the article. Easier to just read that.

He apologized, is ashamed of making a joke in such poor taste at her expense, and while he doesn't remember the kissing situation the way she describes it, has called for an ethics investigation to be opened on himself.

Normally I'd be fine with this, as it is exactly what should happen in a case like this. Something does seem rather suspicious in this case though. Tweeden says she accepts his apology, but doesn't want the ethics investigation. Roger Stone tweeted about Franken being next "in the barrel" hours before the accusation was made public. How did he find out that she was going to tweet her story?

WaPo is saying things like this in their articles: "She also posted a photo of Franken posing with his hands on her breasts as she slept."

Except he apparently didn't even touch her, but just mimed it for the picture, and certainly didn't have his hands on her breasts, as she was wearing ballistic armor. It was joke in very poor taste, which, he admits now, and says he's ashamed of, and apologized to her. So sure, call for him to take responsibility for what he did, but why claim he did something that he didn't do?

So, I say let's have the investigation and let the chips fall where they may.

And while we're at it, let's get that investigation into Trump going as well. He still has over a dozen women leveling accusations of everything from sexual harassment to rape against him, yet no investigation, no hearings, just crickets from Congress. WTF?

News Comments > Path of Exile Expansion Announced
4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 17, 2017, 02:00 Wowbagger_TIP

I think the new Atlas war stuff might make the endgame more interesting for me. Gives a reason to play a lot of different maps rather than just focusing on a few, and the Elder bosses and Abyss mechanics will spice it up as well. Should be better than Breach league even  

News Comments > The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Season 4 Next Year
4. Re: The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Season 4 Next Year Nov 2, 2017, 11:08 Wowbagger_TIP

Sweet! I hadn't heard about it.  

News Comments > The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Season 4 Next Year
1. Re: The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Season 4 Next Year Nov 1, 2017, 23:52 Wowbagger_TIP

Wish they would get around to doing another The Wolf Among Us or Borderlands season.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Launch Trailer
6. Re: Destiny 2 PC Launch Trailer Oct 17, 2017, 16:29 Wowbagger_TIP

From what I've seen of the gameplay, the enemy AI seems very simplistic, and the gameplay is repetitive. The repetitiveness wouldn't be an issue if the combat was more varied and interesting. Think I'll wait for a decent sale and then see how the game looks again.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 16, 2017, 21:22 Wowbagger_TIP

WaltC wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 15:05:
Uh, oh...Clinton Democrats will scream "Spies! Spies!" just because a company is located in Russia. Clinton thinks she's, how did she put it, "Paula Revere?" Hilarious delusions. What happened to Gas Powered Games, I wonder. Jettisoned? Last I heard the Wargaming owner had bought the company. Who would have thought that in the 21st Century the (D) party would want to fight the cold war all over again! Bah, humbug...;) Ugh...;) Let's give peace a chance, how about it.

Nobody figured we'd need to, until they realize that the (R) party had completely sold out to Moscow. How many times did Trump deny any connections or contacts with Russia? How many times did his campaign deny it? Then one by one, the lies were revealed.

Now we have practically everyone around him with multiple connections, meetings, business deals, unexplained payments, etc. Most of which they failed to disclose (read: lied their asses off about). Sure, nothing shady going on there at all....

News Comments > CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent
15. Re: CD Projekt RED on Cyberpunk 2077 Progress and Employee Dissent Oct 16, 2017, 21:15 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 19:30:
Slashman wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 16:35:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 15:24:
Beamer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 12:33:
But yeah, Cyberpunk sounds like they want to vary it enough to be endlessly replayable.

Can you imagine if CDPR went with Shadowrun instead of Cyberpunk? All that chrome goodness, but then throw Tolkien in on top of it?

I honestly think I would prefer that. I love the Shadowrun concept and I'm always sorry that HBS didn't do it bigger and better as a full openworld RPG.

In defense of HBS, they didn't have the money. They had $3M. An open world RPG would cost $30M.

Yep, but I think they did a great job with what they had. The games were all good, and captured the Shadowrun feeling pretty well.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
35. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2017, 01:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 09:40:
Capitan wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 02:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 03:56:
The only thing that is disturbing is indeed people who can not STFU and simply accept Wolfenstein as the frickin' video game entertainment product that it is. It's a game. It's a work of fiction. It's not reality. Shut. The. Fuck. Up. Thank. You.
WORD and thank you! You just wrote what I just gonna say.
It's just a game and leave it with that. I hate when people drag in politic into a things who supposed to be entertainment. Simply it destroys the mood and make everybody feel uncomfortable.

This is why I kinda tuned out of football this year. All of the crap surrounding it has been toxic and it's disheartening to see people on both sides of "the debate" basically using it for their own crusade.

Which crusades are you referring to? I assume not the one the players are protesting about? Not being a football fan myself, I wouldn't even know about any of this if Trump hadn't started raging about it. So, in a way, I guess he did a good thing. Never thought I'd say that.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 22:21 Wowbagger_TIP

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 02:52:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 11:53:
/r/politics doesn't ban you for having different opinions. The only time I've been temp-banned from there was when I crossed the line into making a personal attack. I see the same /r/t_d assholes posting in politics all the time, so they obviously aren't getting banned for disagreeing.

Really? Post your account then post the following: "I think trump is doing okay, and his policies on immigration are a step in the right direction."

People post things more positive than that about Trump all the time. Don't break the rules and you won't get banned. They don't have rules about no criticism like /r/t_d does. You're the one making the asinine claim here. Prove it.

See, you're not reading. I never said that you said that, but you sure took it to mean that I said that about you. You obviously haven't been paying very much attention to the political press in the US for the last 6 months. Which of course I suppose is just a little bubble in your world.

Where are people being called Nazis for supporting gun rights or saying things "the left doesn't like", whatever the fuck that means in your head? Who exactly are you claiming speaks for "the left", and how do I know if I'm part of "the left"?

By all means, though that's not the point is it. You mean the women that dropped dead from a coronary? Not even the prosecutor is running with that one, and their leader? Which one? The guy who was a devout Obama supporter(that was the one who set it all up FYI), or the trolls at the daily stormer?

Yeah, Jason Kessler, the Obama supporter who got the white supremacist religion back in 2013 and became a Nazi. That's the guy those idiots were following. The guy that said she deserved to die.

And I never said you did either, failing that reading comprehension or I'm striking too close to home and you actually believe deep down that it's okay to do.
So how about you learn to address my statements instead of just making random comments after quoting me? Think you can manage to be coherent for a post or two?

Tiny group of people? You mean like MSNBC, ABC, CBS, Mic, verge, guardian? Well those are very tiny organizations which have no reader base at all right? All those artists, media people, and so on who were out there and claim that they're progressives and are perfectly fine with "punching a nazi" right?
I'm sure there are a lot of people who are cool with punching Nazis, just as there are a lot of Nazis cool with punching pretty much anybody. Guess a lot of people still remember their fathers' and grandfathers' stories about fighting Nazis and don't want to see that happen again. I don't subscribe to that particular belief, and find it counterproductive, but I understand the concern.

What exactly is MSNBC or whoever saying that has your panties in a bunch? You're making these claims that they're all crazy ass lefties that have lost their minds. Where's the proof?

It is, but that didn't stop the critics from complaining that it's terrible because it's full of white males. And in several cases, that was their direct justification for panning the movie.

Where are all these critics? Even that bastion of liberalism that is NPR aired several good reviews of it.

I'm not sure what to say to you since you've decided to appoint yourself arbiter of who speaks for "the left", and apparently you've already decided who "the left" is, but haven't been willing to share that information here.

26. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 8, 2017, 11:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 06:18:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 19:30:
Most of us don't see the triggered Trumpists on Reddit because the slightest criticism gets you permabanned from their safe spaces.
Really? You mean like how the slightest deviation on /r/poltics /r/feminism, 2x, cringe, pics, etc,etc,etc,etc, and all those other subs which auto-ban you for participating in other subs? Or all those subs which ban you when you deviate from the slightest current groupthink? Can you figure out why T_D exists the way it does? No? It's because people were pushed out of every other sub for not falling in line.

/r/politics doesn't ban you for having different opinions. The only time I've been temp-banned from there was when I crossed the line into making a personal attack. I see the same /r/t_d assholes posting in politics all the time, so they obviously aren't getting banned for disagreeing.

Your argument about why t_d is the way it is makes no sense either. If it were for the reasons you say, they should be allowing everyone to say what they want, but they don't. Their mods will ban you almost immediately if you say anything critical of Trump or if you take a position that isn't the party line there. They are the definition of a partisan circlejerk.

Who's calling everyone Nazis? People are calling Nazis Nazis, as well as those that are supporting and defending those Nazis, because they seem to have the same mindset and beliefs.
So because you don't support a view you're a nazi? How about free speech? Still a nazi? Those are both current "you're a nazi" beliefs in progressive circles. How about gun rights? Yep nazi. Protesting something that the left doesn't like? Nazi. Have a kink they don't like? Yep nazi. Refusing to adhere to their CoC, in your own project? Nazi. Like a cartoon frog? Nazi. Shitposting? Nazi. Troll, well they're always nazi's(unless we're doing it).

See, you're already creating a straw man here, saying things that I never said. I'm a gun owner and I support gun rights, and nobody has called me a Nazi for it. You must live in some weird little bubble somewhere, or people are just tired of your permanently aggrieved attitude and victim complex and are saying things to make you go away.

People who defend the Nazis and white supremacists deserve to be called what they are. If they don't like it, that's their problem. There's no right to be respected. It was one of them who killed that woman in Charlottesville. Their leader there even praised the murderer for it.

Have you figured out where the left has gone wrong yet? Have you figured out where they decided to grab onto identity politics with both hands and go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE into "everyone is a nazi" land yet? Oh and of course, since all those people *are* nazi's it's fine to assault them right? And you can't forget that if you don't support doing that, you're also a nazi.

I never said anything about assaulting anyone, so no, I wouldn't say that's fine. Got anymore straw men you want to beat on? I can wait.

Seems like quite a few people would also be quite happy with the latest "REEEEEEEEEEEing" going on over the bladerunner movie too. Don't worry, you can reee right along with them because there's "white males" in there.

Ahh, so you basically just find some opinion from some tiny group of people and apply it to "the left" to justify all your hatred and attacks. Got it. I'm not sure who it is that you think speaks for "the left", but I'm pretty sure you're wrong about it.

I've got tickets to see Bladerunner tomorrow, btw, and from what I've read of the reviews, it should be pretty good

20. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 7, 2017, 19:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 21:11:
Unable to find triggered trump supporters on reddit.

Most of us don't see the triggered Trumpists on Reddit because the slightest criticism gets you permabanned from their safe spaces.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 21:11:
Yeah so was I. Like I said, the only disturbing thing that's going on with this is how batshit insane the political left have become at labeling anyone who doesn't bow down to their ideology are nazi's.

Who's calling everyone Nazis? People are calling Nazis Nazis, as well as those that are supporting and defending those Nazis, because they seem to have the same mindset and beliefs.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 2, 2017, 02:08 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm not very far along yet. Only to second town. Only thing I had to do to get mine working was update video drivers. Since then it's been working fine. Hopefully they fix the bugs faster than I'm progressing through the game

4410 Comments. 221 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo