Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 4430 (Master)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Season 13 Underway
2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 24, 2018, 17:33 Wowbagger_TIP

Yawn. Just waiting for Path of Exile Bestiary league to start next Friday. Looks really fun. I'm constantly amazed at what GGG manages to produce every few months. They just seem to get better and better.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 23, 2018, 21:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 17:46:
Yeah it has a SP. It's short, but from hearing from tons of people and reviews, it's apparently very, very good.

I had fun with the SP. Didn't play a lot of MP, but the little I did was also good.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Battlezone: Combat Commander Next Month
5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 2, 2018, 14:48 Wowbagger_TIP

I loved the original BZ, but the movement in BZ2 never felt right to me. I think the tanks just felt a little too weightless. Like they overcame their inertia too quickly maybe. I'm not exactly sure what it was.

I think I probably had other issues with it as well, but that's the one that sticks in my head. I'll have to see how this turns out. Love me some hovertanks

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
9. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 25, 2018, 01:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 23:03:
The combat encounters were horribly designed. They would just keep spawning wave after wave of enemies, making it impossible to actually plan ahead. This was infuriating on Nightmare difficulty where enemies actually posed a threat but the encounters were clearly designed for the lower difficulties where enemies were just cannon fodder.

This, exactly. I hated DA2 because of the combat. Dropped it about halfway through and never played the next game.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Livestream Recaps
7. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 19, 2018, 23:25 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm just now trying to figure out how to set up my X52 Pro with ED. First attempt didn't work. Really want it to play this with my Oculus though, so I think I'm gonna give it another shot this weekend. The sheer number of commands and such are daunting though. If I can get it working, then I'll probably pick up Voice Attack as well.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 19, 2018, 21:56 Wowbagger_TIP

The successful candidate will:
  • Have excellent oral and written communication skills

• Have a high tolerance for abuse

• Be able to tap dance like a motherfucker

• Be able to lie boldly and without remorse
  •  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    18. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 16, 2018, 16:23 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 13:23:
    Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 10:47:
    jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 01:05:
    Hawaii is dusting off protocols they haven't used in 20 years, thanks not only to that asshole Kim, but also to Trump who is intentionally ratcheting up tensions.
    Maybe you should be asking why Clinton, Bush II, and Obama all kicked that can down the road and *allowed* N.Korea to become the country that it is? I mean, it's not that Japan has been considering for the last several years rewriting Article 9 of their constitution to deal with N.Korea. Or that it's moved from "talking" to the legislative phase. Article 9, as I'm sure you're unaware deals with Japan having an active military - not for self defense any longer. Or that people in Japan are supportive of the idea of going nuclear to deter China and N.Korea.

But it's all Trump's fault.

Clinton negotiated the Agreed Framework in 1995 with DPRK to stop plutonium development. Bush threw it out when he got into office when he discovered the NorKs, having been restricted on plutonium, were refining uranium instead (an argument could be made he should have pursued a second agreement to cover uranium). After 9/11 hit, DPRK was put on the back burner. So it's not as if nothing has been tried.

I will agree that Bush 2 and Obama should have done more here, but but options were limited. Don't forget that a decade ago, the South was in heavy reconciliation mode and it appeared for a few years that they were on their way to a negotiated settlement and possible reintegration.

As for Japan, what are you suggesting? Japan doesn't need to rewrite their constitution to negotiate with DPRK, they can do that now. If you're suggesting they build up their military, it's already entirely capable of defending against any attack that DPRK may foist upon them, including nuclear with their Aegis system. And there is absolutely no political will in Japan to go nuclear.

All that being said, your insinuation (by using "allowed") is that someone (America, Japan, etc.) should have invaded DPRK and forcibly overthrown Kim. You would need all parties to agree that it should be done (South Korea, China, Japan, etc.) and be willing to accept casualties (substantial in South Korea case) and fund the reconstruction. There has not been any political will whatsoever to do this in any of the countries involved, even if American's military wasn't already tied up in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What scares me is that Trump and most (all?) of his people have no idea about the history of the NK situation, and are likely to look at it in their typical, simple-minded, short-sighted, massively incompetent way. I hope there are enough sane people left around him to keep him from doing something that gets Seoul annihilated. We should also point out, just in case Koreans don't matter, that there are something like 150K+ Americans living in S. Korea as well.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 16, 2018, 02:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 10:42:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 14, 2018, 12:20:
    Examples? Even the worst offenders like Milo took quite a while to get banned. It's not like it happened because of one or two things he said.

I assume that if there are people saying similarly offensive things on the left, that they haven't yet exhibited enough of a pattern of such behavior to get banned.
    Kassy Dillon is a good example. You can start digging from there, it's not a rare thing. And they had no "profile of abuse."

So, you don't actually have any examples, you're just telling me to go find them myself. Got it. I'll just assume you're full of shit.

Saying they didn't have a profile of abuse is just ridiculous. In addition to the abusive posts of his own, Milo's whole thing was to rile up his fans and point them at a target. He did this over and over again. He knew exactly what he was doing, and Twitter had every reason to ban him.

Twitter should ban everyone that was sending the abusive messages, but they generally won't, at least not permanently. But then since they're a corporation, and it's their service, they can pretty much do whatever they want. It's just one of several reasons I don't bother with Twitter.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 14, 2018, 18:15 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2018, 15:16:
    I am more baffled a single "wrong click" can trigger an island wide alert. Whatever happened to the 4 eye principle? (ie, 2 authorizations, not just 1)

Maybe it was one guy who wears glasses

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 14, 2018, 12:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 14, 2018, 10:31:
    Quboid wrote on Jan 14, 2018, 10:27:
    If Twitter has such a liberal bias, why did it take some wildly offensive conservatroll like Milo so long to get banned?
    First thing, he's not conservative. He's stated he falls far more closely to social-libertarian. Second he's always claimed he was a provocateur, and that's always what's made him famous--and he's always given the same advice "if you don't want me to be famous by doing this, ignore me." The real question you should be asking, is why were conservative-leaning, or libertarian people banned and temp banned when they used the language(or exact verbatim) of "big left-wing names" word-for-word. That includes journalists, reporters, authors, and so on.

Examples? Even the worst offenders like Milo took quite a while to get banned. It's not like it happened because of one or two things he said.

I assume that if there are people saying similarly offensive things on the left, that they haven't yet exhibited enough of a pattern of such behavior to get banned.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month
    19. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 13, 2018, 19:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Armengar wrote on Jan 13, 2018, 10:41:
    zoom. now try in a wing of 4 and you will see what i mean about unoptomised. my 1070 and oculus struggles with 60+ and drops to low 30s in a wing. i imagine you need some serious serious grunt to get 90+ in a full wing.

Why would being in a wing be any different than just flying around a station or something, in terms of FPS? Doesn't seem like it's having to render any more really. I could see it having an impact on the CPU maybe.

16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 12, 2018, 20:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Armengar wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 17:34:
    wowbagger. go to rhea and run passenger missions. a low level type 6 fitted with economy passenger bays will net you 20mil a trip. the trip takes 30mins realtime so watch a netflix show or two.

then use the money to outfit a vulture and have fun killing things.

Cool, I'll give that a try once I get my controller situation worked out. Thanks!

News Comments > ESA Rebukes President Trump
    100. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 12, 2018, 16:55 Wowbagger_TIP

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 15:29:
    Well the reality is if all those people from all those countries come here than it's going to be just as shitty here.

How does that follow at all? Immigrants come here all the time and make decent lives for themselves. They go to school, get jobs, raise families. Why does them coming from a war-torn place mean that suddenly the US will be a worse place for having them here?

10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 12, 2018, 16:40 Wowbagger_TIP

I just picked this up during the Holiday sale, along with Horizons. I got an Oculus Rift for xmas, and bought a Saitek X52 Pro stick/throttle. I'm now trying to figure out how to set up the stick and bindings, and whether I can turn off those LEDs when I'm not using it. Hopefully I'll be able to get all that figured out this weekend.

Anyone know of any good info on how to start out in this game at this point? Most of the stuff I've seen online has been over a year old. Not sure what's still relevant and good advice at this point.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
    3. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 6, 2018, 00:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Clyburn is great. Hopefully she becomes the new chair when a Dem gets elected again.  

News Comments > Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment?
    11. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 4, 2018, 02:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Rhett wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 20:16:
    It just sucks because it's a great alternative to Borderlands, because Borderlands' gunplay is garbage... but now it's more of a store/collection simulator than a game.

Granted, I've only played the demo, but Destiny 2's gunplay felt weird and lacked punch. Both games have bullet sponge enemies. Borderlands' guns just felt more substantial.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    24. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 28, 2017, 19:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 16:46:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 13:40:
    Lithium ion batteries are less toxic than the lead acid batteries used in conventional engines. They're actually more landfill-safe. Once the recycling for these catches up to lead acid battery recycling (around 99% in the US), then they will definitely be the safer, cleaner option.
    "Once"... More like if. Many "environment saving" technologies are actually not recyclable or its so hard to do that it costs more than just to make new ones. IFor Li-Ion batteries its so hard, that manufacturers actually buy old ones to put them all together to a huge one, to have some use from them still, which of course is extremely inefficient when charging or transporting.
    You should inform yourself better how these resources are being mined and by whom and what their working conditions look like. Double standards par excellence.
    But if you seriously compare tiny lead acid batteries, which can actually very easily and inexpensively be recycled and thus arent that bad for the environment, and will be sucked completely dry in an hour by my stereo running alone, with maybe 40 to 120 Ah to huge batteries like in the Model S with up to 100 KWh, then I dont think its even worth continuing...

You can't just compare the pollution of the creation and operation of the battery without also including at least the operation of the vehicle that it is installed in. So you have to include the emissions and other impacts of the vehicles in the environmental footprint. I haven't found a good article that shows that full impact.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 27, 2017, 13:40 Wowbagger_TIP

wtf_man wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 13:19:
    Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:00:
    Yeah except who the hell wants a $100,000+ pickup truck with one seat?

I'm not 100% sure that is only one seat (one person). It looks lit the body widens towards the back of the cab. That said... it would be reminiscent of a 1930's cab, which barely can fit 2 people on a bench seat.

Several reasons I won't buy an EV any time soon:

1. Range (although it's getting better)
    2. Time to charge
    3. Price
    4. Uglyness (aka Prius... although that is a hybrid and I said EV)
    5. Battery Materials... Extremely toxic, another limited resource, and no proper disposal.

I would have loved to seen the market go more towards Hydrogen Fuel Cells, but there are obvious issues with that as well.

Lithium ion batteries are less toxic than the lead acid batteries used in conventional engines. They're actually more landfill-safe. Once the recycling for these catches up to lead acid battery recycling (around 99% in the US), then they will definitely be the safer, cleaner option.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
    4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 27, 2017, 12:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Red886 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:38:
    that WaPo article considers publications about Hilary and her illegal use of email servers, as well as reference to Wikileaks , as being indicative of trolling behavior, and electoral manipulation by Russia? No wonder Hilary being touted as the Queen in politics , and the Clintons as the royal family. They are untouchable.

and the success of media websites ie RT as an indication of being weak against propaganda?

so the restriction of journalism either by law ( foreign agent classification) or by softer means ( constant allusion to being a troll or propaganda by all main stream mass media) need to be stepped up , so says WaPo.

Can't believe Americans are constantly falling and accepting this blatant intent of government factions to manage general consensus to continue obeisance to the current political and economic forces.

Clinton's use of a private server was small potatoes and would have resulted in her resigning at most, because it was not a criminal act, and still wouldn't be today.

Sigh, if only such scandals could gain any traction today. We have them on at least a weekly basis now, and they are far worse. Trump's people are already admitting to criminal acts and being indicted. Remember when Conway said we couldn't afford to have a president under investigation by the FBI? Yeah... me too...

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities
    12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 26, 2017, 01:22 Wowbagger_TIP

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 08:53:
    ItBurn wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 00:34:
    I disagree. I think that the Division is MUCH more repetitive than >95% of loot-based action RPGs. Not enough enemy variety, not enough loot variety, not enough gameplay variety. The settings isn't a good excuse for the extreme repetition.

That's another reason we (my friends and I) stopped playing/got bored but we kind of expected it after the betas because of the setting. May not be a good excuse but I'd be willing to overlook that shortcoming if the mechanics were a bit better (too much bullet sponge + insta-death) and especially if the loot system was improved. I realize there's been a ton of patches since I quit and they worked on the system but they made rookie mistakes on what was a gigantic game for them and they lost too many users by the time they got things working.

Yep, same here and for the guys I was playing with. If they had done more to vary the missions, rather than them being exactly the same every time, and done something more interesting than just increasing the health and damage of the enemies at higher levels, then maybe it would have had more staying power.

Until they fix that stuff, it's just a really tedious, boring slog.

4430 Comments. 222 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo