Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 724 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 24, 2009, 00:34 VoodooV

I'll be the first one to admit that I don't follow the DD-WRT community so I guess I don't understand the "controversy" but I can't help but to wonder if this is one of those articles where it's trying to manufacture a controversy when there isn't necessarily one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2009, 23:39 VoodooV

I do like how they used the word "only" in some lame attempt to make it appear that MS is just barely managing to scrape by while the mean ole pirates keep picking on them.

aww...poor MS. I do hope they don't go bankrupt

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 17, 2009, 16:04 VoodooV

no, they're not the same...not one bit.

We're talking about basic crowd safety here.

They KNOW that these are popular items, they KNOW people fight over them and trample over people to get them, but few do little, if anything to prevent that.

You obviously can't stop people from fighting each other, but they can do something about the crowds because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that bad shit might occurr if you crowd a bunch of people together who want a popular item in small supply.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 16, 2009, 23:24 VoodooV

I just completely fail to understand why more stores don't establish a reservation or waiting list for popular games and consoles.

The whole business of standing in line at all hours is just ridiculous and flat out dangerous, people have fucking died over this shit. Companies need to step up and take some goddamned responsibility

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
59. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 22:09 VoodooV

I have to admit, that so far, the only real benefit of DD is that it's bringing old Abandonware games back into the market. Though on the other hand. Games that old shouldn't even be 10 bucks or 5 bucks...they really need to be even cheaper IMO. But anyway, really, what's the point of DD if a new game costs the same as a physical copy? I want DD to succeed, but they really need to start sweetening the pot a bit more than they have so far. I can patch a game myself and all the online extras they put in for multiplayer only benefit you.....if you even touch the multiplayer component..which a lot of people still don't do.

What I can't stand is all the fanboys of any given game that go "gee whiz, I would pay EVEN MORE for <insert game here> because I love it so much" Honestly, are you fucking retarded? I don't give a shit if the game comes with special electrodes that induce orgasms every time you level up or score a kill. Common Sense 101: Never pay more than you fucking have to!

Any consumer with half a brain should be arguing for lower prices regardless of how good a game is. It encourages competition, higher prices encourage greed and laziness and shortchanging consumers on content, nickle and diming people on DLC. The gaming industry can take care of itself, we don't need some apologist coming along and saying, "but gosh, if we don't throw money at them indiscriminately, they won't make any games" Gaming has been a niche market for a helluva lot longer than it's been mainstream. So we know the demand is there. All someone has to do is provide it..and they'll make money. People are starting to finally wise up and realize that better graphics don't necessarily make a better game, so that argument is crap too.

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
29. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 13:38 VoodooV

You are not going to get AAA quality for $20.

You will if it sells three times as much. And the data seems to be pointing to the idea that this will, in fact, happen.

I know I'm not alone when I say my gaming purchases have been severely curtailed since the move to 60 dollar games. I haven't bought a new game in a little over a year, and I plan to keep it that way for the forseeable future (with the possible exception of Mass Effect 2)

Higher prices also force me to research my games more so that I make sure I'm going to get my money's worth. let's face it, ever since games went mainstream, there has been a lot more crap out there as well as good games, not to mention games are apparently getting shorter and much less content.

If games were 20 bucks. I'd take a lot more chances and in all likelyhood, spend a lot more money.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Footage
29. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 23:14 VoodooV

dude, I think we all want that. But it is a wee bit soon to judge I think  

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Goo
8. Re: Stardock's DRM Goo Mar 25, 2009, 14:13 VoodooV

once again. Derek posts the obvious, then tries to claim credit for "calling it"  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Details
20. Re: Was not impressed Mar 24, 2009, 00:42 VoodooV

success depends on loyalty eh?

Guess the influence system is back

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 24 Hour Sale
18. Re: Assassin's Creed 24 Hour Sale Mar 23, 2009, 14:03 VoodooV

How are the mouse and keyboard controls? Or does it play better with a gamepad?

I'd like to know this too, I've been thinking about buying the 360 version for a while now and i've always gotten the impression that the game was designed for the 360, but later ported to PC and I'd rather have the version the game was originally designed for.

But 9.99 is a steal

News Comments > Mass Market Makes Majesco Money
5. Re: Mass Market Makes Majesco Money Mar 13, 2009, 14:32 VoodooV

I'm glad they have some money. Because they owe us two more Advent Rising games  

News Comments > Newell on Piracy, Pricing, TF2 Comics, and More
69. Re: Newell on Pricing Feb 19, 2009, 15:19 VoodooV

If all games were bargain bin priced, I would be vastly more willing to "experiment" more with my gaming purchases. It wouldn't matter if a certain game wasn't in my favorite genre, because hey, it's cheap, if the game sucks I'm only out 15-20 bucks..big whoop.

But the way the games are now. I am force to wait for prices to come down, I am forced to scrutinize games more closely to find out what my peers (notice I didn't say reviews) think of the game before I consider buying because, guess what, I just lost a lot more money if the game turns out to stink.

News Comments > Games for Windows Boss Axed
60. Re: GFW Boss Axed Jan 27, 2009, 17:54 VoodooV

So to sum up this thread:

We all agree that GfW is a joke, but despite this apparent consensus, we're all still inferior to the wisdom of Derek Smart.

That's what I'm getting out of this thread anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, we all seem to be on the same page, yet somehow, Derek still knows...better

News Comments > Games for Windows Boss Axed
21. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:55 VoodooV

The program - as I predicted here on Blues - was doomed to fail from day one. Why? Because MS wanted to monetize it while giving nothing worth having in return.

Sorry, but you earn zero cred for that "prediction" as a ton of people were skeptical about GfW from the start. It's not exactly an earth shattering revelation that it was nothing but lip service.

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
29. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jan 20, 2009, 22:53 VoodooV

Battlecruiser 3000 AD

That game so does not count! A game like that is the exception, not the rule.

Independence War, however, could fall into that category. So could a lot of space sims and flight sims...but hey, what happened to those genres, hrm? Those genres already died because your typical gamer didn't want to be bothered to learn a lot of controls or didn't want to buy joysticks. While I don't agree with that viewpoint, at least I can understand it.

But as I just said..those genres are dead, so if the games they complain about that are too hard to learn....already don't exist anymore. What exactly is the problem here?

On one hand, I don't think I can really complain since these days I do play more console games than PC, but thats mostly because I don't have as much free time as I used to. I think gamers' complaints of dumbing down because of consoles are valid because god knows console games are full of button mashing and QTE. Instead of actually learning a certain technique or skill...gasp NO! let's just make a QTE to cover that up. Hell just look at South Park and Guitar Hero. People spend hours and hours and hours playing Guitar Hero, why the fuck don't they learn how to play a real guitar? Gosh cuz that's hard? But I want to be a rock star NOW!

The problem is that the dumbing down of games because of consoles is a side effect, not the real problem. It's simply easier to code for a console than it is for PC because you're coding for one hardware configuration instead of worrying about the limitless possibilities with PCs. It's a no brainer, so now they start to code for console, oh wait, this controller doesn't have as many buttons as the keyboard..hrm...what do you do?

News Comments > Weekend Sales
38. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 23:01 VoodooV

Uh...read theyarecomingforyou's posts. He's arguing that every download of the game while it was unable to be bought anywhere is illegal.

The thing is, that he's right, but the point is that it doesn't make any difference, are they going to retroactively enforce it? Are they enforcing it even now? Without that, it's completely meaningless to argue the legality of it if no one is going to back it up.

He's screaming and swearing over made up terms...gosh oh no. Not ever before in the entire English language has ever made up a term only for it later to become accepted into the lexicon.

You can split hairs over the legality of it all you want, but no one is justifying piracy here, the game will continue to be pirated regardless of anyone screaming about legality. Even the lawyers who argue this shit know the difference between law and what really goes on. As the the other poster said earlier, All the company has to do is send a cease and desist letter to whatever websites that are doing it. If they haven't, then hey, it's up to you. But don't try and give me some bullshit about how pirates are a problem, because if the company doesn't care, then they obviously aren't a problem. legality/illegality doesn't mean dick if no one is around to care. It doesn't make it right. Like I said, it just means no one of consequence cares.

Whining about legal definitions on a gaming message board falls into this category.

36. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 22:22 VoodooV

For someone claiming we have a lack of reading comprehension, you conveniently ignored my last statement.

Sorry, but retroactively calling foul on games that were copied at a time where there was simply no way to get them conventionally is a dick move and you know it. You can scream legalese all you want but it doesn't make it just or enforceable. A law is meaningless without those two things. Call me up when they start arresting those who copied it when it wasn't being sold. I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

And again, since you're conveniently ignoring my final statements. I don't condone it. Why the fuck whenever there is a piracy discussion going on, there is always some idiot that thinks we're trying to condone it. Far from it, just trying to explain to the thickheaded that there is nothing you can do about it. Piracy is cost of doing business in the software world. Someone will always buy, and someone will always pirate. I'm not saying it's ideal, but life rarely is. You should come out from hiding behind your legal definitions. Even anti-piracy lawyers don't seem to have a problem fudging definitions together when they try to convince the world that stealing and copyright infringement are the same thing when in truth they are completely different. Reality, try it sometime.

34. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 19:41 VoodooV

The publisher has every right to seek money for intellectual property belonging to them

the right to seek, not to get.

It always just annoys me because whenever someone says this, they make it sound like profit is an entitlement. It is not. The game has been abandonware for a long time. Just because it's for sale now, doesn't mean you should be able to arrest a bunch of people for pirating the game back when there was no way to get it otherwise. Companies have the right to try and get money. It's not a guarantee that they will. If you have a product that no one is willing to buy, that is no one's fault but your own. Conversely, if you want a product that is no longer sold anymore or available anywhere. and you can find someone willing to let you copy it. I'm sorry, but I just can't conjure up any outrage over such a victimless crime.

That said, I'm not condoning copyright infringement. The price of the combo pack is so small and since it's been updated with DOSBox, that to quibble over whether or not to buy or pirate is ridiculous.

News Comments > JT and the Supreme Court
12. Re: JT and the Supreme Court Jan 4, 2009, 17:18 VoodooV

gotta love how ten thousand parties all believe that their case should be heard by the highest court of the land.

conceited much?

News Comments > On Star Wars: The Old Republic's "Stylized Realism"
12. Re: On Star Wars: The Old Republic's "Stylized Realism" Jan 3, 2009, 19:07 VoodooV

I personally think the art so far is ugly. But this is an MMO. Art is the least of my worries. Odds are this is going to be another generic MMO where the grind inevitably drives me away. I'd rather they spend more time with the gameplay and make sure the game is fun rather than pretty.

I sincerely hope they spend a lot of time making sure that the process of becoming a padawan and later a full jedi is very deep...same thing with lightsaber customization. This game is going to be awful boring if everyone is running around with the same powers, same lightsabers, and same jedi robes.

724 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo