Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 725 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2017, 19:21 VoodooV

need a lot more than revamping voting machines (nothing wrong with paper ballots) they need to reform voting period.

-be like the UK and limit the campaigns to a very short period of time like a few month before the election.
-eliminate gerrymandering
-get rid of FPTP so that 3rd parties aren't just spoilers
-eliminate electoral college
-get rid of private money in elections, period.

Yeah, I know. Won't happen in my lifetime, but a guy can dream.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 30, 2017, 14:12 VoodooV

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 12:30:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 11:43:
Yeah I find it so baffling how an avg IQ person can't see it. Somehow they believe the mouthbreathers GOP constant complete bullshit, it's unreal
-edit i want to make clear I am no fan of the corporate democrats who pull much of the same shit (but let's be honest, you can't be as corrupt and hypocrite as a GOP'er) so even small change is better than nothing.
Although the Repubs are far worse, it's a symptom of the system. Laws can't be truly for the people until you remove private money from political campaigns. It's just too easy for monied interests to buy votes. Remember, this isn't my opinion, it's been empirically proven.

The irony is that it will take a lot of money to remove money from elections. But we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future. We're certainly never going to see money removed from elections under Republican rule. Dems aren't saints either, but you're far more likely to see support for removing money from elections from the left...never the right.

So...remember that when you vote. The left seem to think likes and retweets counts as votes and don't show up at the polls. That needs to change.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 21:51 VoodooV

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/treknology-weapons.htm

inconsistencies in phasers among many other things.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 13:55 VoodooV

Now we're just nitpicking inconsistencies in the show. Well that's existed since the dawn of television and movies. So I'm not just going to go there.

Phasers at warp have been done in Voyager, DS9 and ENT, and Into Darkness yeah it's stupid...but it just exists. They're never going to be perfectly consistent.

You're exactly right about the Borg in ENT, watching the crew simply turbocharge their primitive phasers to shoot the borg was ridiculous. But again, that just goes back The borg episode being a stupid idea in the first place. But heck, even when they did make the borg OP in that episode where the borg take over this basic transport ship and somehow borgify into something that the Enterprise barely manages to destroy is ridiculous. There was some bit about how the ship had grown in mass and grown weapons nodes. Sorry, but even the borg shouldn't have been able to modify the ship THAT quickly, much less be a match for an NX-01 was just silly.

Hell, just the notion that the Enterprise E just missed all that borg debris and crew crashing to Earth is stupid.

But again, we're back to the reality that there have always been ridiculous episodes like this. Drama and the rule of cool are always going to trump consistency

TOS had Spock's Brain and the incredibly sexist Turnabout Intruder where apparently TOS Starfleet apparently don't like no wimmin captains, yet in the ENT era, their 2nd NX ship was captained by a woman and no fucks were given about that. TNG had Genesis (the de-evolving episode). DS9 had Profit and Lace. Voyager had obviously Threshold and a bunch of other shitty episodes.

I take the good with the bad and not watching this stuff just because of some bad episodes is a real disservice. I'd say at a minimum, you need to watch the fourth season of ENT (just ignore the two parter about time traveling nazi aliens)

35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 10:26 VoodooV

Yeah, The Orville seems to have been mis-hyped as GalaxyQuest.

It seems the phrase used to describe Orville is now "blue collar Star Trek" The crew of the Orville is not "The best in the fleet" (though they do keep describing Scott Grimes character as the best pilot in the fleet, but he is still much the slacker/underachiever/whatever)

But these are supposedly the average joes of the fleet with a bunch of jokes thrown in.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 10:12 VoodooV

Enterprise definitely had some groan-inducing moments, but Creston is kinda being fake news here or he watched some other show, I don't know

Yeah, apparently the Borg had visited Earth in Archer's time, and then... I dunno, decided to go home again and wait for later?

Uhm, no, they didn't visit earth. They were survivors from the blown-up borg sphere in First Contact, which happens before Ent. Yes, it really pissed me off that they had a borg story in Ent, but still, get your facts straight.

Remember how ships in Warp can't fire phasers?

you're probably right about that one, I don't recall anything specific, but that's the kind of thing only the hard core nerds care about so...

Enterprise has Holodecks

Uhm, no it didn't. They do meet a race that had them. And I guess Daniels had that portable holodeck observatory thingy, but Daniels was from like the 29th century or something. So no, Enterprise didn't have holodecks. Yeah, when they met that race that did holodecks, it did make me go "well gee, it took StarFleet a long time to reverse engineer that technology" but again, please get it right.

One where the crew suddenly and mysteriously has a captured Suliban cell ship

Suddenly and mysteriously??? They captured it in the first episode!! Holy shit dude, are you just making stuff up?

The rest of your rant does have enough truth for me to pass it or at least pass it off as your opinion. Which is fine. I didn't really like the Temporal Cold War either, but I'm also sick of the time travel trope period. Star Trek in general abuses time travel way too much.

The consensus though is that the third season was the worst. They tried to do a season long arc, and I appreciate that they tried it, but it just wasn't very good, mainly, in my opinion, because again, it was born out of time travel.

The fourth season was probably the best, The romulan mini arc was really good. The vulcan three parter was pretty badass. The last two parter dealing with anti-alien extremists was really good too.

What I'm surprised you didn't mention was the final episode. The final episode was a big steaming turd, and even the cast called it appalling.

So yeah, there is lot to groan about in ENT, but there are some pretty badass gems in there too, so just like anything else, you take the good with the bad. Voyager sucked in general, but there is still some good stuff there.

That said, Fuck ST: Discovery, and fuck CBS, I'm still going to check it out, but I fully support and condone any and all piracy for ST:D

People were more hyped up for Star Trek Axanar than Discovery. CBS fucked over Axanar (yes, Axanar did some shitty stuff to warrant the fucking over, but still the story should have been allowed to continue unvarnished) CBS was jealous that Axanar was doing Star Trek better than Star Trek was.

News Comments > $45K Star Citizen Refund?
28. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund? Sep 14, 2017, 12:41 VoodooV

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 11:56:
If you're buying 3 completionist packs as a "commercial org" it's obvious you're trying it as some kind of investment. Since it has become completely unpredictable as to when (if ever) they could reap that return, they filed for a refund. I think the stupid thing is this: using this game as an investment opportunity.

Not going to ask for a refund on my $35.

There is no investment Even if Star Citizen goes down as the greatest game ever made and makes millions more in post-release sales, backers wouldn't ever get their money back. That argument doesn't hold water.

EDIT: nevermind, wasn't thinking about the grey market.

26. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund Sep 14, 2017, 12:38 VoodooV

Angrius Maximis wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 12:29:
well hate him or not at least Derek Smart actually releases games

Wing Commander, Wing Commander 2, Strike Commander, Privateer, Wing Commander 3, Wing Commander 4, Starlancer, Freelancer, and other games would all like to disagree with that. They're certainly more successful and iconic than anything DS sat on a toilet for.

11. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund? Sep 14, 2017, 11:22 VoodooV

Even if the refund is real. The tone of the person posting is that of a drama whore doing it for the upvotes/lulz.

Most people don't care if you've lost faith/interest in Star Citizen. You want your refund, go get your refund. Don't need to dramatize it.

They put down that much money in the first place in order for the refund to happen...so again it just reeks of someone just doing this for dramatic effect.

Despite the Derek-cultists ravings, This game is happening, it will be released, you can play the alpha right now. The only question is if the game will be of lasting fun or if it will just ultimately be a tech demo for future games. Just get over it. Play or don't play. Put money in, or don't. Just sick of the drama whoring and the people who want to just see it burn for shits and grins.

3. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund Sep 14, 2017, 10:44 VoodooV

I prefer to remain anonymous as the guild can easily be linked back to my personal identity, and we all know how insane and potentially dangerous the few remaining Star Citizen believers can be.

uh...yeah...sure. Yeah I call BS on this.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 25, 2017, 17:35 VoodooV

I'm not sure if I'm convinced UBI is really good solution. Maybe a short-term solution though, until civilization adjusts to automation everywhere. Even if you're given a basic paycheck there's still nothing stopping someone from being an idiot and throwing their money away on lottery tickets or something else, and thus, we're back to square one and we have someone without their basic needs being met.

I don't see how you get around stuff like that unless the necessities are simply free/subsidized. Capitalism is fine for non-essentials, but for necessities, profit motive will eventually fuck someone out of their houses and onto the streets.

This, of course, leads to the debate of what is essential and what isn't. People are going to try and say certain things are necessities when they aren't, etc.

We're going to have to create an entire system of determining who gets low tier basic housing vs nicer places to live. same thing with food, transportation, clothing, everything. Give perks to people who choose to work or who have more important/critical jobs.

We're going to have to have some sort of population control unless we have an revolution in space exploration. If you're basic needs are met and you don't have to worry about working, people are going to start fucking like rabbits out of sheer boredom.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2017, 22:51 VoodooV

Even when the automated revolution hits civilization and most jobs are eliminated. There's still going to be a demand for human-made things. It's just that it won't be near enough to sustain an capitalistic economy.

When a team of robots can go mine resources, transport those resources, refine them into goods, and even go make and assemble things like homes and buildings all without ever being assembled by human hands. There is still going to be a demand for things of a non-critical nature, like art, or furniture or food experiences. Remember that episode of DS9 where they go to Earth and we meet Sisko's dad. He was a creole chef. He didn't do it because he got paid, he did it because he loved making food. There are still going to be people like that who want to do shit even though a machine could do it better. We already have a market for rustic hand-crafted items. People will still go out and learn shit and advance science even though they're not fighting for some high paying job anymore. There just simply won't be as many because a lot of people are just in it for the money. People will finally do shit because they actually, truly, want to do it, which is going to eliminate a LOT of problems and corruption. How many shitty decisions are made every day simply because people are trying to protect their jobs because they don't want to end up in a homeless shelter? So many problems just go away when your livelihood is not dependent on having a job to put food on the table and have a roof over your head and having your basic needs met.

News Comments > Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up
54. Re: Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up Jun 26, 2017, 19:30 VoodooV

Don't commit suicide, dude. There is always tomorrow for you to troll again.

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 19:22:
Can we start a KS to get these idiotic trolls around here to fucking kill themselves already? They are just an absolute waste of space and resources. They are just garbage, and that's an insult to garbage.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 22, 2013, 14:58 VoodooV

I'm going back to PCs this cycle. I got a great deal of mileage out of the 360, but neither console has given me anything to be excited about.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
27. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 13:41 VoodooV

Don't have to be paid to be a shill.

Of course who needs website shills when you can apparently get TV shows to write in Windows 8 ads into their shows like Arrow and that Elementary show, or Bones or Chuck for Subway. Or Smallville for shilling just about everything under the sun.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
23. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 7, 2013, 00:47 VoodooV

I don't see the point of either console this cycle. Nothing has really fundamentally changed to make either compelling  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 23, 2013, 03:21 VoodooV

WinPE, ImageX, and the DISM command are all you need to create and deploy windows images  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
39. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2013, 12:35 VoodooV

As far as I can tell, I can't make a donation through Kickstarter anymore, but is there any way to still contribute to the game?  

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2012, 23:28 VoodooV

Bodolza wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:49:
Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:41:
People despise change and hate it without giving it time to grow on them.

While true, I don't think it's relevant in this case. Just look at Windows 7. It was a major UI change from XP, but was largely embraced as a step up from XP almost immediately. Most people liked the interface redesign, like Aero and the new taskbar. People like change when it's seen as an improvement.

I think you're missing one key aspect though. XP was really getting long in the tooth when Win7 came out, that and the failure of Vista meant most people figured that 7 really was an improvement this time around.

Win7 really isn't that old compared to that, so people are hesitant to upgrade so soon, that and the meme of "every other Windows release sucks" has set in.

I'm sure Win8 does have some decent improvements, but the ModernUI isn't winning any friends and it's following a known good OS that is still relatively new.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 VoodooV

I used to think I was a libertarian. But it seemed to me every time a politician claimed to be a libertarian, what he really meant was "I want to get away with selling the public things that I know are bad"

There's a reason I'm an independent now. When I was young, I thought I was a republican, but eventually realized that was wrong. I thought I was a democrat, and later realized that was wrong. You just really can't sum up the political philosophies of 300 Million+ Americians with just 2 major parties. It's ridiculous.

The founders were right be wary of parties. These parties may have been founded with good intentions, but they always seem to inevitably get hijacked by the psychopaths.

725 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo