Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 788 (Graduate)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2019, 17:14 VoodooV

I don't see how these one-off streaming services can be sustainable with people just purchasing one month and binging then dropping.

illegal downloads are obviously going to rise again because of this nonsense. I also keep thinking that because this doesn't seem sustainable, that these services will eventually go out of business and we'll be back to where we started with a few companies with much bigger libraries.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2019, 15:34 VoodooV

I didn't think Vista or 8 were too bad, ME bluescreened on me during first boot of a clean system so it can eat a bag of dicks.

It's getting to a point though where I feel like we have to qualify this a little bit better. For Vista and 8, I thought they were fine, it was just the interface that sucked. Same for 10 quite honestly. When you get past the UI bullshit, it does what I need it to do.

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 11:34:
Windows Vista, 8 and ME were good.
hard to say with a straight face

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2019, 14:10 VoodooV

I don't have any problems with Win10 per se. It's just all the nonsense that gets added on top. The stupid UI, all the extra crapware installed without your consent, etc. The core OS is still fine, they also just need to ditch the cumululative update nonsense, or just do a hybrid. do a quarterly or a yearly cumulative, otherwise just do monthlies, it doesn't take that long to patch up  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 27, 2019, 09:54 VoodooV

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 27, 2019, 08:14:
NKD wrote on Sep 27, 2019, 00:30:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2019, 23:19:
And while I see the "problem" of a popular vote -- candidates would cater to the five or ten most populous states --

This has never really struck me as much of a problem because it's already like that, and this wouldn't make it any worse. Most states simply aren't in play and only swing states get any attention. Red voters in blue states might as well not even show up, and the same thing for blue voters in red states. In a popular vote system, every vote counts.

Oh and while we are talking about the process... those caucus states have got to change the rules. That stuff is some serious bullshit.

I suspect voter turnout would be much greater in POTUS election years if we had a popular vote system. There would be less voter apathy from people stuck in Blue or Red states who don't align with the majority. It could even have downballot effects.

Of course ideally I think we should abandon the idea of a singular executive at the top.
You are right the candidates already spend a lot of time in a limited number of states, but eliminating the EC would cause a large increase of this phenomenon. Also I agree eliminating the EC would encourage minority party voting in states which are currently very red or very blue. This is part of the reason I agree with getting rid of it. As far as not having a singular executive at the top.. well there are reasons for cliches about committees... I simply don't see that having a "board" or whatever would produce better decisions. Yes, it wouldn't be up to one person, but that's far from a guarantee of better decisions.

Oh, and while we are talking about process problems those caucus states need to change their rules. That stuff is some serious bullshit.

third parties will always just be a spoiler unless we get rid of FPTP voting. we need to switch to either ranked choice or some other system that doesn't force things to boil down to 2 parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 27, 2019, 09:35 VoodooV

If the choice is between "tyranny of the majority" versus our existing "tyranny of the minority" Then I'll take the tyranny of the majority any day. Smaller states already have disproportionate representation in the senate to offset this which I'm fine with.

but yeah, when the explicit purpose of the electoral college has been subverted by not allowing faithless electors to cast their vote (there were electors who refused to vote for both Trump and Clinton that were merely replaced) Then the EC needs to go. I originally wanted to just tweak the EC and change them all to proportional vote like Maine and Nebraska, but at this point, I think the EC is too far gone.

Of course, the other major problems are voter suppression and gerrymandering.

News Comments > Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com
41. Re: Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com Sep 26, 2019, 17:50 VoodooV

Beamer wrote on Sep 26, 2019, 14:19:
VoodooV wrote on Sep 26, 2019, 12:18:
Razumen wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 20:55:
ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 19:39:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 19:26:
VoodooV wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 17:36:
edaciousx wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 14:05:
i was one of the original backers.. got that stupid card too. I wish they would make the single player game, that's what I paid for. not marines shooting each other on a space station.

Fortunately, they are making it. All the faux outrage and fox news level of misinformation doesn't change the fact that it's being built and you can play the alpha.

Also, that single player part of Star Citizen is likely the only thing that will actually be a finished product before Robert's endeavor explodes.

I lul'd at "finished".

It's going to be so funny when they games are released and people here are going to have to eat their words, especially if they turn out to be half decent games.

They won't. people like that never admit they're wrong, they just move the goalposts. First it was a scam, then it's just technically impossible, then it's harping on the missed dates which every game in existence misses a target date at some point. Then when the game eventually does release, they'll just nitpick something else or whine about some bug. They'll eventually declare the game just not being fun or just doesn't meet whatever imaginary standard they cook up to allow them to pat themselves on the back and say they were right all along.

Which is why I, personally, have never said anything definitive on it. It looks like what they're doing is damn near impossible, but it could be a good game, regardless, and if they hit their goals, it'll be incredible. I wouldn't put money towards it, and am not following it closely, but won't say it'll be garbage. I don't have the information needed to make that evaluation.

I was the same way with Daniel Jones - believed in the GM, a bit doubtful about the player, but figured I don't have enough information to evaluate so remained distant but cautiously optimistic. I don't look stupid doing that.

Which is fine. There are a number of streamers out there playing the alpha out on youtube if you want to check it out without spending money. It's obviously buggy AF...but that's what an alpha is. But they keep adding stuff to it every few months. It used to be just a hangar you could look at your ships in when they first released it. now you can travel to other planets. Just a matter of time before the add in jump points.

My fear is not that they won't deliver. My fear is that Roberts' technical ambition will mean the game itself will get boring too soon and it will be too sterile. The game will release, we'll have our fun for a few months and ultimately move on to the next game. For all this work and controversy, I want at least a few years worth of adventures with guildmates and expansions for the single player.

38. Re: Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com Sep 26, 2019, 12:18 VoodooV

Razumen wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 20:55:
ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 19:39:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 19:26:
VoodooV wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 17:36:
i was one of the original backers.. got that stupid card too. I wish they would make the single player game, that's what I paid for. not marines shooting each other on a space station.

Fortunately, they are making it. All the faux outrage and fox news level of misinformation doesn't change the fact that it's being built and you can play the alpha.

Also, that single player part of Star Citizen is likely the only thing that will actually be a finished product before Robert's endeavor explodes.

I lul'd at "finished".

It's going to be so funny when they games are released and people here are going to have to eat their words, especially if they turn out to be half decent games.

They won't. people like that never admit they're wrong, they just move the goalposts. First it was a scam, then it's just technically impossible, then it's harping on the missed dates which every game in existence misses a target date at some point. Then when the game eventually does release, they'll just nitpick something else or whine about some bug. They'll eventually declare the game just not being fun or just doesn't meet whatever imaginary standard they cook up to allow them to pat themselves on the back and say they were right all along.

News Comments > Evening Multiplex
2. Re: Evening Multiplex Sep 26, 2019, 12:12 VoodooV

isn't that what the new Fallen Order game is essentially?  

23. Re: Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com Sep 25, 2019, 17:57 VoodooV

Task wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 17:40:
I've never actually played this game. Is it generally a good idea to play the first? Is it a continuation?

once you get the 2nd game, you can download all the open source mods which can also include a port of the first game with the newer graphics

21. Re: Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com Sep 25, 2019, 17:36 VoodooV

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2019, 17:56.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 22, 2019, 17:58 VoodooV

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 13:24:
False Memories

A guy I know said that President Obama stated he was going to take away firearms. I called bullshit and asked for the source.

He could neither find the quote or the source.
Hint: It's hard to find something that doesn't exist.

Even if you could prove he said it, it doesn't matter, Obama obviously didn't try very hard. We still have more guns than people.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 21, 2019, 12:26 VoodooV

Lobbyists have already made sure Gov't won't regulate, or will only make a token attempt at regulation.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
4. Re: Evening Patches Aug 16, 2019, 10:01 VoodooV

I appreciate their dedication.

However, they do need to work on their execution. Part of me really wants to give this game another shot. But the other part of me just cant be bothered. Too many other games out there that ARE finished.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Beyond Launches
23. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 14:19 VoodooV

If it's as bad as I'm hearing, how do these kinds of bugs get past QA? Why would they release the update in this shape? No one would care if it got delayed a week or even a month.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
16. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2019, 23:48 VoodooV

Pigeon wrote on Jul 24, 2019, 13:27:
Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2019, 12:19:
VoodooV wrote on Jul 24, 2019, 11:26:
ironically, as much as I'm happy we're closer to all devices, Apple or not, finally all have the same connector, but when it comes to USB-C, I find myself preferring lightning simply because it plugs into the socket way more solidly than USB-C. From day 1 of my USB-C phone, there is just absolutely nil friction holding the USB-C plug in and it comes loose with the lightest of nudges.

Meanwhile, lightning is a much more solid connection. USB connectors just seem to have a much longer history of coming loose, or breaking much more easily even before USB-C and i'm getting fed up with it.

Yeah I'm with you. Lightning is annoying in the insane premiums on accessories from Apple but I just get around that buying third party. The connector itself is fantastic. Although frankly I just use a wireless charger now anyway, the only time I ever plug the phone in is for CarPlay.

Seems to be plenty of friction on my USB C devices. Maybe it's just a matter of implementation or we have differing opinions on what amounts to a solid connection.

Well it looks like I need to eat some crow. I just took a safety pin dipped in rubbing alcohol and swabbed it through the crevices in the USB-C socket. Turns out I had a ton of gunk in there that had compacted down and was getting in the way of the connection. Cleaned out some rather good sized hunks of dirt. Had no idea it was that dirty. You canít really tell anything is down there because its so narrow.

But yeah, my cables plug in a LOT more solidly now.

News Comments > Destroy All Humans! Collector's Editions
3. Re: Destroy All Humans! Collector's Editions Aug 12, 2019, 14:24 VoodooV

Tell me again why pre-ordering is a good thing?  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Gears 5
15. Re: Gone Gold - Gears 5 Aug 12, 2019, 10:15 VoodooV

Bumpy wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 11:24:
Slick wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 22:07:
Gears 1 was really cool, and an amazing showcase for the tech of it's time. Seems like's fallen by the wayside considerably... same cookie-cutter gameplay, and same UE3-looking graphics. No offense to fans.

As I watched the trailer, I was thinking the same exact thing.

Yeah I remember Gears 1 was the game that got me to tolerate FPS on a console controller. Prior to that I was mouse or GTFO

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2019, 09:08 VoodooV

jeesus fucking christ. Anyone who spouts a conspiracy theory should be immediately committed for a year.

Either you have evidence, or STFU and "an internet site told me so" doesn't count.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2019, 09:29 VoodooV

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 23:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 13:09:
Pelosi needs to grow a pair.
Don't underestimate her, she is a savvy politician. I personally can't read the electorate well enough to know which is the worse option:

1) The House impeaches, the Senate does not remove, Trump claims "See! It was all fake news!"

2) The House does not impeach, Trump claims "See! It was all fake news!"

On the one hand, you could say it is the House's job to impeach even if they know the Senate won't remove him. On the other hand, if you know you'll pay a political price, and you know he isn't going to get removed, why do it? Could the GOP pay a price for not removing him if the House did impeach? Difficult to say, but I'm guessing they wouldn't. The situation is so fucked up at this point predicting what the "right" thing to do is far beyond my ability.

Pretty much this. You don't take a shot at the "king" unless you know you're not going to miss. While there have been some Republicans who have spoken out against Trump, it's just not enough to matter. Impeachment will make Trump look like a victim in the eyes of his base and increase his support, making 2020 harder to beat him. Vote him out of office, then you can indict him into oblivion, there it will actually be a criminal trial and facts, instead of politics will be more relevant.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. removed Aug 8, 2019, 12:28 VoodooV

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 8, 2019, 16:59.

788 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo