Descending
Limit Results:

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jan 28, 2002, 21:43
Re: No subject Jan 28, 2002, 21:43
Jan 28, 2002, 21:43

Ahem, Lithtech is just an engine. It's AvP 2 that has a mod community.

Jan 25, 2002, 19:23
Re: No subject Jan 25, 2002, 19:23
Jan 25, 2002, 19:23

Got that. Hitman was good, but it had it's problems.

Jan 25, 2002, 13:07
Re: No subject Jan 25, 2002, 13:07
Jan 25, 2002, 13:07

Agreed. I mean, RF1 was pretty much a self contained story, anyways? What's there to sequel to?

PS2 only? Oh well. That's one game I won't buy. There are very few games that I would consider buying a sequel after the first one sucked:

IGI2: New publisher that doesn't breath down Innerloop's neck. Their previous publisher, Eidos, threatened to can IGI if they didn't release it unfinished. Now that they have Codemasters, it should come out the way the developers originally intended.

AvP 2: Bought this game, and it was great. The first one didn't have much of a story, just a bunch of put together situations that didn't make much sense. Reason I bought the sequel: New developer.

Red Faction 2 isn't a game I'm willing to buy. It seems like the PC version was dumbed down for PS2 players. It's sad to see Volition become exclusively console developers, but until some PC publishers go out of business or change their idea of "flooding the market with crappy games so that we get more sales", a idea taken from Hollywood.

Hollywood is what PC publishers are striving to beat, and they are losing the battle because of the fact that they are trying to emulate one media to another one.

Jan 16, 2002, 10:54
Re: No subject Jan 16, 2002, 10:54
Jan 16, 2002, 10:54

Yeah, Claudia Black (she plays Aeryn Sun) is pretty damned hot.

No subject
Dec 24, 2001, 18:33
No subject Dec 24, 2001, 18:33
Dec 24, 2001, 18:33

Only 'tards post in all caps.

You can't "shoot" a company like Eidos.

8 months? From what I understand, Hitman came out in November 2000. Since they are using the same engine and much of the same technology, who's to say that 18 months (the amount of time they are spending on Hitman 2) will be enough.

Re: writing mr. morris
Dec 24, 2001, 18:23
Re: writing mr. morris Dec 24, 2001, 18:23
Dec 24, 2001, 18:23

My email to him:

Chris,

Majestic didn't fail because it was "innovative". It failed because it sucked, period.

Majestic was panned by many online and magazine reviews of the product.

It just seems like you are too accepting of Electronic Arts' explaination of why it failed. The VP who you interviewed is blaming the market (or PC gamers in general) because he's trying to cover up the fact that the game that he funded (Majestic) was an extremely poor game. This is typical of Electronic Arts executives: They always blame the market or the gamers because of the fact they are extremely poor managers who shove out extremely poor games.

Most of Electronic Art's PC games are shovelware titles, such as Harry Potter. Yeah, it sold well, but only because of parents buying the games for their kids, who are not exactly finicky about the quality of their games. Controlling Harry Potter and using magic spells against monsters equal a good game to them. Try to do that with an adult gamer, and they'll call it shovelware movie tie-in, because it is. The Sims are the same way. It's a crap game, but people buy it because they are the type of people who will buy crap in a box because the packaging is pretty.

Also, Electronic Arts has a history of screwing over developers that they contract with. Rogue Entertainment made a game called "American McGee's Alice". The game got good reviews, and the art design was top rate, and it even sold extremely well. The developer was working on the PS2 port when the port got canned (because of the PS2 shortage). They lied to Rogue about being partners in the furthering of the Alice franchise, and they didn't even give them the job to port the game over to the XBOX or the Gamecube. Now, Rogue is defunct, all because EA gave them lip service and made promises that they knew was lies.

If anyone deserves the accolades for being innovative, it's Rogue Entertainment for making Alice, not EA's Majestic.

Just because Electronic Arts says the game is "innovative", doesn't mean it really is. You should know better, as a writer, than to blindly trust EA's PR smoke.

His response:

Actually, there were several very positive reviews of Majestic. Like most games, some folks liked it, some didn't.

EA has always had an antagonistic relationship with the hard-core gamer, but that's often the result of being at the top of the industry. I know all about the Rogue Entertainment debacle - and I don't know that I agree with their actions, but the fact of the matter is that Alice (while I enjoyed the game thoroughly) did not sell very well, despite your beliefs. I know American and think he did a great job and can't wait to see his next project (which appears to be based on The Wizard of Oz, judging by early sketches).

Believe me, there was no PR "smoke" involved in this column. I played Majestic to the end (what 'end' there was). I've talked with Neil Young several times. The fact remains they had a strong game (albeit a far from perfect one), that gamers rejected.

Best,
Chris

------------

FYI: Alice did sell well. The folks at Rogue Entertainment confirmed this in their farewell message when they shut down after EA fucked them by shutting down the PS2 Alice project without an alternate project.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 18:30.

Re: Sh'up foo'!
Dec 22, 2001, 23:46
Re: Sh'up foo'! Dec 22, 2001, 23:46
Dec 22, 2001, 23:46

Who plays Quake 2 anymore?

Dumb ass anon.

Dec 2, 2001, 03:33
Re: No subject Dec 2, 2001, 03:33
Dec 2, 2001, 03:33

There are however plenty of ways to maintain your right and ability to enjoy shooting for sport while cutting down the number of irresponsibly stored small arms in homes - it's hardly an issue where you either have to be allowed to own a tank or be banned from using chopsticks in case you hurt someone. It is unfortunately partly because arguments tend to bound between 2 or more extremes of possibility that little progress or agreement is ever reached.

Because the only way to guarantee that is for wall to wall house to house searches throughout the entire United States. It would be the end of the United States, because literally 1/3 of the population would revolt.

Re: idiots guide to parenting
Dec 2, 2001, 03:27
Re: idiots guide to parenting Dec 2, 2001, 03:27
Dec 2, 2001, 03:27

Americans are psychologically unable to take responsibilty for their actions.

Europeans are even worse.

Wow
Nov 1, 2001, 09:55
Wow Nov 1, 2001, 09:55
Nov 1, 2001, 09:55

Very cool. I thought the first game was a waste of time w/o multiplayer. I'm very glad that Codemasters got this instead of Eidos, who were threatening to can the game if they didn't ship it as early as it did.

Maybe I'll pick up Project IGI 2.

An official list
Oct 21, 2001, 22:18
An official list Oct 21, 2001, 22:18
Oct 21, 2001, 22:18

"Fixed the crash bug on the Join screen.
Added async listing of game servers, so it will now add them in blocks at a time and you can see the progress.
Added a "[D]" to the end of server names that are dedicated... this helps spot them in the list without the filters, and it allows GameSpyArcade to filter them.
Added the player rename functionality during an MP game... use ' Spanky' to change your name.
The server list now filters out servers that can't receive proper game information and reduces the total server count by that amount.
Added a recommendation warning to players who try to start a non-dedicated server with more than 8 players as the maximum.
Added PageUp and PageDown support to the server list.
The arrows on the server list now act as PageUp and PageDown instead of just Up and Down.
Added mouse wheel support to the server list.
Added double click join support to the server list.
Made sure you can skip the FOX intro logo with the keyboard... previous it only worked with the mouse."

Only one bug, the rest are feature enhancements. Wow, extremely buggy game. Hell, it's worse than Tribes 2.

Re: Bugs...
Oct 21, 2001, 19:23
Re: Bugs... Oct 21, 2001, 19:23
Oct 21, 2001, 19:23

"if you try and run around with your tail out as alien the controls go haywire and you end up spinning looking at the sky."

That's actually a feature in multiplayer, not a bug. If you get hit with a tail or a pounce, you could be paralyzed. I've heard numerous reports of people claiming it was a bug, but it's not.

Re: Its a start
Oct 21, 2001, 06:35
Re: Its a start Oct 21, 2001, 06:35
Oct 21, 2001, 06:35

" I dont know how they could have missed all these things however. Especially "Fixed the crash bug on the Join screen." Kind of important dont you think? Have we gotten to the point where lazy game companies need beta testers to test their "tests." Then beta testers to test their patches to the "tests." Then beta testers to test the "demo." And testers to test the patches to the "demo." And since none of this will be enough, beta testers to test patches to the finished game etc etc etc."

That's not what happened, anon. This was a single bug that slipped past QA because the bug couldn't be discovered until after it was actually out in the demo.

This happened with SOF and Half Life as well. What had happened was that when QA tests a game, they open up servers for the game from their offices or wherever. You release a game into the public or a demo into the public, especially a game that has a lot of fans and followers, you are going to get a lot of servers run (at the moment, there are more than 100). More at the same time than FOX QA could replicate at any time of the testing cycle.

As for you guys bitching and moaning and whining about the netcode: Grow up and start using your freaking head. The problem is that there are too many people running servers on 56ks and cable modems and low grade DSL stuff, and even worse, playing on their own machines while hosting the server.

This is the reason why a Linux server is being developed at this very moment, so that ISP's, game server organizations like Barrysworld and Ilink and HomeLAN Federation can run a whole bunch of servers on T3's, OC3's and OC48's, just like they do with Q3 and UT instead of non-dedicated 56k and cable users.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an general AvP fan. :p

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 06:35.

Anon Posting
Oct 20, 2001, 16:28
Anon Posting Oct 20, 2001, 16:28
Oct 20, 2001, 16:28

I wish folks would register instead of post anon. They'd have to back what they say.

:P
Oct 18, 2001, 20:38
:P Oct 18, 2001, 20:38
Oct 18, 2001, 20:38

Anon Troll, STFU, please.

You haven't played the game, it hasn't even been reviewed yet, and all previews indicate that the game has a rather expansive single player experience. Instead of a nameless marine, the marine's name is Corporal Andrew "Frosty" Harrison, and he talks, you have to rescue your fellow marines, and so on. There is so much single player content that it makes AvP 1 look like a total joke.

"Graphics are worse than avp" Are you smoking hash? The engine used in AvP were awful in graphics. Excellent flames, explosions, and particle effects, yes, but 8-bit textures? Sorry, but that's Quake 2 era.

AvP 2 has 32-bit textures, Goraud shading, and a lot more good stuff that puts AvP 1 completely to shame.

Trolling is bad, m'kay.

Re: My new GAme
Aug 31, 2001, 00:57
Re: My new GAme Aug 31, 2001, 00:57
Aug 31, 2001, 00:57

Who let the 'tards out?

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 00:59.

Re: Doctors......
Aug 27, 2001, 06:34
Re: Doctors...... Aug 27, 2001, 06:34
Aug 27, 2001, 06:34

Your statement is utterly ridiculous, anon.

Bioware is probably one of the elite game developers in the industry. Bioware is responsible for Baldurs Gate, BG2, and they are currently developing Neverwinter Nights, which is one of the most looked forward to RPG games for RPG players.

Calling them an "instant game developers" is an insult, and you should apoligize for saying that. Putting their company in the same class as some idiotic upstart is dumb.

Hmm
Aug 26, 2001, 01:32
Hmm Aug 26, 2001, 01:32
Aug 26, 2001, 01:32

Supposedly the guy was extremely overweight, and had a heart condition beforehand. If he was having sex, and died then, you wouldn't be blaming sex for his death, it would be his heart and his unhealtiness.

Re: AVP2
Aug 21, 2001, 23:14
Re: AVP2 Aug 21, 2001, 23:14
Aug 21, 2001, 23:14

BEER!

Re: Help Stuck
Aug 19, 2001, 15:48
Re: Help Stuck Aug 19, 2001, 15:48
Aug 19, 2001, 15:48

It looks exactly like the demo at E3, so I wouldn't be suprised if it was. If that's the case, then it's probably an ALPHA build, not beta.

Sheesh. :p

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older