Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Ask Me

Real Name Ask Me   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scheherazade
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 23:01
Total Comments 434 (Amateur)
User ID 9185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2019, 02:21 Scheherazade

Doom was wonderful. It actually delayed me using the internet for years because BBS' were where it was played, and the internet was too lossy, so I considered the internet a waste of time.
The nascent "pro" scene back then had a silly feature. Since there was no good way to identify/prove who was playing, each player had a 'dance' they had to learn (in game), so that organizers could challenge a player to demo their dance to verify that it's actually them.
I still sometimes play it on zdaemon.

Shame about the Roxette singer. I still play their songs time to time.

Re : "Please Watch These Cats Find Comically Innovative Ways To Make Their Way Through An Invisible Maze".
This video made me think : "The walls of Eryx" ... with cats.

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 10, 2019, 10:30 Scheherazade

WaltC wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 11:01:
Years ago, Intel was boasting that it could see 1,000 cores in its future...;) My, how things have changed *cough* But more cores is the way forward as we plateau in production processes, and it's AMD leading the way. The software has to catch up--programming languages need to improve in that regard. But single-threaded software is fast becoming an anachronism.

IIRC, Intel was selling high core count chips before AMD.
Just they were priced for commercial (xeon), so nobody used them in desktops, and nobody cared that they existed.

I've been trying to get my partner a 3900x for months, and now am trying to get a 3950x (since it 'came out' before I could actually get my hands on a 3900x). The availability feels much like a soft launch (even if technically it isn't).

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 7, 2019, 00:55 Scheherazade

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 23:17:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 20:09:
More cores, aren't most consumer apps single threaded.

Yes, but mostly due to code monkeys being lazy asses. Over the summer, we hosted a code camp where teenagers were in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of Rust programming and the 3rd and, especially, the 4th year students were doing some amazing mulithreading work. We just need a new generation of code monkeys to accept something other than C as a viable language and that you should design multithread support in from the ground up.

C just needs to be extended with some built int threading constructs.
Eliminate the need for OS specific calls, and streamline spawning and joining threads.

Something like 'parallel' keywords :

synchronous for(int i=0; i<10; i++) // each iteration is actually an independent thread
{
shared double s = 0; // "shared" forces automagically mutexed access - applicable to calls by reference.
someFunction( someData[i], s );
} // "synchronous" will block here until all threads join. Calling context is waiting at this line.

asynchronous for(int i=0; i<10; i++) // each iteration is actually an independent thread
{
someFunction( someData[i] );
} // "asynchronous" will not block for join, calling context continues on immediately

void callingMethod()
{
synchronous someFunction( someOtherData ); // function is called as a thread. Calling method does not return until this thread returns.
}

void callingMethod()
{
asynchronous someFunction( someOtherData ); // function is called as a thread. Calling method returns without regard to this new thread.
}

Just basic stuff like this would enable ad-hoc threading for things that would otherwise be left single threaded because 'it isn't worth the trouble'.

-scheherazade

News Comments > etc.

14. Re: etc. Dec 5, 2019, 00:31 Scheherazade

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 16:52:
There's a new multiplayer shooter culture where watching is more entertaining than playing. PUBG is the perfect game for it

It has a pve co-op survival mode, iirc.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs

10. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2019, 10:41 Scheherazade

NKD wrote on Nov 16, 2019, 14:36:
Well there's a punchable face if I ever saw one. Actually it might rise to the level of curbstompable.

That's no reason to hit her.

She should let the guy work in peace tho. It's not worth poking at an irritable dude, because they end up doing shit like this, and everybody ends up with regrets.

-scheherazade

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 03:04 Scheherazade

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 03:01:
Scheherazade wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 02:37:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:24:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:01:
Also, if you're worried about your kids surviving, maybe don't buy them a car that accelerates like a fucking rocket.
Is 0-60 in 4.0 seconds fast? A McLaren can do it in 3.

My friend has a Tesla, and I've ridden in it. The acceleration is incredible. I was afraid to drive it actually.

I daily drove a 3 second 0-60 car for 8 years.

Flooring it at every red light, from 0-speed limit.

Not even a week and I was so used to it that it felt mundane. Just the new normal.

The only thing it did was to alter my perspective on what feels slow. A 90's accord, or a modern mustang, I didn't really distinguish anymore. They were both just different flavors of slow. (only tuner cars with engines loaded up with upgrades costing more than the average car actually felt fast anymore - and I suspect only because I didn't have one of my own to get used to)

It made me think of how an 80's Ferrari has the same 0-60 as a modern minivan. In the 80's people would say 'who needs to go this fast?' about the Ferrari, but today nobody even notices the minivan. I'm basically in the same zone with the ~3 ish second stuff. After everything gets quicker and everyone gets used to it, it will just be the sort of normal that nobody even notices. I suspect electrification will be sooner than people expect, and I suspect this sort of acceleration will just come along with it.

Actually, I've kinda stopped caring about 0-60 as much as I used to. Now I just want 'quick enough', while also being small, light, manual transmission, no frills, older, a bit loud, a bit rough around the edges... basically fun.

-scheherazade

What did you drive that did 0-60 in 3 seconds?

09 GTR, with very minor mods.

Here's a link to a transmission build (and general maintenance) I did at home.
https://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13204

I mostly did reliability upgrades, as I considered it 'fast enough', and going faster quickly balloons in price.

In hind sight, it was a good car. Very comfortable, effortlessly quick, and all-in-all cheap to maintain (Parts are quite affordable, maybe 2x the cost of a typical sedan's parts. DIY labor tho.). Resale was incredible, I paid far more in property tax than I lost in devaluation. And if I were to buy one today (prices bottomed out already), I could lose ~nothing.

Actually, I spent more money maintaining a Subaru (Over a shorter time period, too. Completely unmodified.)

If the GTR was a manual, I probably would have kept it for life.
Unfortunately, being an auto, it became boring in regular use. I would take it to an autocross and it was fun. But the drive there and back was snooze town.

By comparison, a Lotus Elise is a riot just going from A to B - absolutely giggle worthy, even though it's far slower.

A side note that's more on topic :

Modern race car safety gear (cage, containment seat, HANS device, harness, etc) does actually make a 116 mph crash into a wall survivable. Actually, it's more likely than not that you would avoid life threatening injury - as happens all the time in races. You can watch clips of horrendously fast (even faster than 116) racing impacts onto barrier walls where the drive gets out and walks away.

If people were actually willing to go through the rigamarole of gearing up, car crash deaths would be an anomaly. It's interesting to me how many people die in car crashes, in light of how it's technically a choice (generally/phylosophically speaking, in light of what's possible) to be vulnerable in the event of an impact. Comfort/convenience vs risk.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2019, 03:42.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 02:37 Scheherazade

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:24:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:01:
Also, if you're worried about your kids surviving, maybe don't buy them a car that accelerates like a fucking rocket.
Is 0-60 in 4.0 seconds fast? A McLaren can do it in 3.

My friend has a Tesla, and I've ridden in it. The acceleration is incredible. I was afraid to drive it actually.

I daily drove a 3 second 0-60 car for 8 years.

Flooring it at every red light, from 0-speed limit.

Not even a week and I was so used to it that it felt mundane. Just the new normal.

The only thing it did was to alter my perspective on what feels slow. A 90's accord, or a modern mustang, I didn't really distinguish anymore. They were both just different flavors of slow. (only tuner cars with engines loaded up with upgrades costing more than the average car actually felt fast anymore - and I suspect only because I didn't have one of my own to get used to)

It made me think of how an 80's Ferrari has the same 0-60 as a modern minivan. In the 80's people would say 'who needs to go this fast?' about the Ferrari, but today nobody even notices the minivan. I'm basically in the same zone with the ~3 ish second stuff. After everything gets quicker and everyone gets used to it, it will just be the sort of normal that nobody even notices. I suspect electrification will be sooner than people expect, and I suspect this sort of acceleration will just come along with it.

Actually, I've kinda stopped caring about 0-60 as much as I used to. Now I just want 'quick enough', while also being small, light, manual transmission, no frills, older, a bit loud, a bit rough around the edges... basically fun.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2019, 02:53.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 02:32 Scheherazade

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:23:
Who pays for CBS All Access, anyway? I know one person that did when Star Trek originally released but he let it lapse after the first season...

The user comments on the Tesla death story are hilarious. "That dad and his son must be liberals" is the consistent sentiment. I'm not sure political affiliation has anything to do with trying to game our Torts system.

Going on historical record in the media, the two types of people that often 'pass the buck' in these cases are either liberals (because it's always an institution's fault, never the individual's) or low income folk ('wallet content' and 'probability of disavowing culpability - for a payday' are [understandably] inversely proportional). BTW, this isn't a criticism, just an observation. Conservatives have their own stupid legal stereotypes (sovereign citizens, starting fights then losing then 'standing their ground'), just this sort of case isn't really one of them.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 10, 2019, 16:29 Scheherazade

I suspect that this will have no effect on automated trucking (literally, as in : que sera sera).

Companies don't want employees.
Employees don't want to be out of work.
Waiting with popcorn to see the shit show coming soon.

I suspect fear of liability will keep automation fairly tame without the need for a lot of oversight.

Of course *some* oversight will be needed - so you don't have a boeing situation where the computer has more control authority than the operator, and you're helplessly left to your fate.

I'll stick to old 80's and 90's cars till I'm dead. Maybe a few early 00's too.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 10, 2019, 15:48 Scheherazade

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 20:01:
Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 19:15:
Your game is ignoring the line right after the one you quoted
The line after you wrote
To which the news coverage was : "Trump said 'send them back'".
was
The trump social media summit, where a cnn reporter was going around to reporters who were invited saying shit like 'fight me bro'.
I didn't ignore your next line, but it has no bearing on the line I did quote, so I didn't include it. I only include the quotes I'm commenting on directly to keep it clear what my comments are about.

The line you quoted and the next line were :

"
~Nowhere says [something like] : Trump said "go back to where you came from".
~Everywhere says [variations of] : Trump said 'go back' to where you came from.
"

Your post is silly. You do realize people can look at post #6 and post #9 and see that what you claim was the next line was not in fact the next line?

I'm not interested in arguing with fantasy.

Believe what you want to. I'm not big on religion.

Take care,
-scheherazade

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2019, 19:15 Scheherazade

So by your own admission, you know your statement wasn't true. Who's the one playing games?

Your game is ignoring the line right after the one you quoted, and pretending that your quoted line is the entirety of what I wrote, so as to recast my statement into a different meaning. Exactly the kind of thing that I _am_ complaining about the media doing.

a selective out of context summary designed to mislead.
Which is your opinion. If you read the first NPR article you linked to you'd understand why telling someone to "go back..from which they came" has a racist meaning to a lot of Americans.

Trump is not liable for other people's imagination. He said one thing, people criticise another. Not his problem.

If you let people consider the entire paragraph it's extracted from, it goes from offensive to mundane.
No, it really doesn't. The paragraph starts off with "originally came from countries" when most were born in the USA. That's already problematic, especially when targeted only at people of color.

Its much easier to strawman from select fragments.

Take the entirety. Even take what the tweets were a reply to for extra context.

A more accurate recast of his tweet would be :
'All you ever do is complain about the U.S.. If you're so smart, prove it. How about fixing the broken government where your family is from before you try to fix the working government here. I'll even pay for the trip.'

Take a-few-words sized fragments from anyone's spoken/written history and build any monster you please.

Trump's supporters clearly understood his meaning since they started chanting "Send her back" during his rally.

And we can thank the news coverage for (a) most people even knowing about the tweet, since it was 24 hour news for a ~week and is where most people heard about it, and (b) for those supporters even thinking that 'go back to where you came from' is what he said, since that's how the news portrayed it.

Ultimately, his quote is online. You can read it yourself 'taken in its entirety' and see the difference between what he said and how it was covered.

-scheherazade

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2019, 14:45 Scheherazade

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 13:30:
There's too much incorrect fear-mongering there to even attempt to rebut. Let's start with Brian Karem being the Playboy White House Correspondent, not CNN (he is often on CNN, but they're not the ones that send him to the White House), and that Gorka isn't "some Gorka guy." And Karem wasn't going around to other reporters, it was solely Gorka.

It's a weird way to miscategorize the whole thing. Based, likely, on angry and misleading YouTube videos instead of actual fact.

The specific interaction, whose second half made news, was this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMVmkTFedUc

Gorka was not the only one Karem trolled, just the only one to get mad enough to react.

-scheherazade

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2019, 14:29 Scheherazade

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 13:05:
Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 11:11:
Between leaks from management inside social media companies all

And can you find me a single reputable news organization that quoted Trump saying this?

Let's not play head in the sand games.

~Everywhere says [variations of] : Trump said 'go back' to where you came from.

One would get you sued.
The other is a selective out of context summary designed to mislead.

You can't open vanilla microsoft edge without being showered in articles summarizing his statement as 'go back' and 'racist'.

There are single quotes around 'go back' all over the place, it's designed to establish it as a stand-alone concept.
If you let people consider the entire paragraph it's extracted from, it goes from offensive to mundane.

You can't watch cnn/abc/cbs/msnbc without the same terse and out of context summary. Same goes for late night host spin.

Here's the top few big name hits on a 'trump go back' google, just the first page.

npr

nytimes

cnn

nbc

... And pages more. You are free to google it yourself.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Steam Zero-Day Exploit

11. Re: Steam Zero-Day Exploit Aug 8, 2019, 13:44 Scheherazade

ldonyo wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 13:18:
Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 09:55:
The reason for rejecting is not senseless.

The hack requires local configuration changes, presumably to be made by a complicit/malicious process already on the box.

If there is a malicious process already on the box, then this vulnerability is just another straw on a pile of hay.

I would have accepted it as a low pri, deferred till later, rather than rejected.

-scheherazade
Reread the article, this hack requires nothing of the sort.

I did. It's semantics.

The hack only works with registry changes. On a normal system it won't work.

So it boils down to who makea the registry changes.

The argument pro-accept was that :

The user can make the changes using regedit. Ergo no other program/script is needed. Ergo the hack is a valid external attack.

The argument pro-reject was :

I reality, would you ever manually make those registry changes?
- No.

In reality, what would make those registry changes?
- A compromised application/script/etc, with sufficient privilages to make registry changes.

Where must the compromised application/script be ran?
- On the system targeted by thr hack.

When must the changes be made?
- Before the hack attempt.

Hence if in reality a compromised application/script must first be ran on the box, the hack is OBE.

Still worth fixing, but it's not a burning fire.

-scheherazade

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2019, 11:11 Scheherazade

Between leaks from management inside social media companies alleging targeting of conservative viewpoints, and widespread coordinated systematic drops in video hits to conservative content creators corresponding in time to the alleged targeting (people show their graphs, and they have large instant vertical drops in hits), it looks way more likely than not that there is something going on.

The better question is whether or not we want media distribution systems taking part in politicised information warfare.

Its bad enough on TV, and the internet is thr only work around to the curated info, where you can go direct. But with platforms taking sides, it has some real orwellian implications.

Not really an issue if your side is the side that media prefers, but its a hard road otherwise.

When established media pulls crap like this :

Look at Bernie's Joe Rogan interview, and look at the TV coverage. He talks for an hour, and as he leaves Joe asks (jokingly) if Bernie would let people know if there are aliens. And now 'Bernie looking for aliens' is the news piece from the interview.

Look at Trumps comments to the 'squad'. He said (paraphrased) :
"Your families left countries with dysfunctional governents, how about you go back there and fix those governents first, them come back here and tell us how it's done"

The trump social media summit, where a cnn reporter was going around to reporters who were invited saying shit like 'fight me bro'. When some Gorka guy responded with 'you're not a reporter you're a clown', that few second response clip was all over the news as hateful Trump clown harassing CNN reporter - and it would have stayed that way if it wasn't taped by someone in the crowd.

Ilhan Omar says that its a conflict of interest for U.S. lawmakers to take money from a pro-Israel lobby group who exists to advance Israeli interests rather than U.S interests. And the media posts news story after news story about her 'antisemitic remarks' and use of 'jewish money tropes' - somehow managing to omit her actual statements over and over, letting people imagine whatever they want in place of her own words.

And internet media like youtube or twitter take non-left (not even conservative, just anyone who criticises whatever ideology is FOTM with progressives) commentators and demonetize them, push them down the related/search stack, or outright ban them...

I am referring to persons with messages such as : Intersectionality is racist, don't date single mothers, men and women are different, welfare promotes complacency, non white people can be racist, we don't live in a patriarchy, laws shouldn't have special carve outs for specific groups, everyone should be held to the same legal standards, help yourself don't wait for others to help you, ethnic communities/ghettos should have the same police law enforcement as the general population.

These things get you labelled a hate speech promulgator.

Then where do you go to get uncurated information or opinions?

-scheherazade

News Comments > Steam Zero-Day Exploit

9. Re: Steam Zero-Day Exploit Aug 8, 2019, 09:55 Scheherazade

The reason for rejecting is not senseless.

The hack requires local configuration changes, presumably to be made by a complicit/malicious process already on the box.

If there is a malicious process already on the box, then this vulnerability is just another straw on a pile of hay.

I would have accepted it as a low pri, deferred till later, rather than rejected.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2019, 23:32 Scheherazade

Saboth wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 14:16:
"result clearly represents a strategic victory for Alex Jones." How does using someone else's copyright without permission then losing in court represent any kind of win? Then again, this is the alt-right, where up is down and black is white, real news is fake, so I guess yeah...in their minds it must be a major victory.

He's anti abortion, I suppose that makes him alt right. (/s)
He's also pro decriminalization of drugs, which is pretty left.

Dude just does conspiracy theory stuff. People imagine he's more than he is.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Quake II RTX Released

33. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 13:35 Scheherazade

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:55:
Ok, anyone here with an RTX card trying to play this?

I could really use some help with eliminatng the input lag (VSYNC is OFF)

It's terrible, and makes the game almost unplayable. With that said, it really looks and runs nice.

2080ti.

FPS is "good". (I.e. 60+hz)

(personally, I don't play stuff under 120hz, so I would call it "bad" for me, but that's not a transferable assessment)

Input lag is immense. Not usable in multiplayer, and actually hard to aim in single player (unless you slowly roll onto each enemy, you can't really flick aim.)

The game is still Quake2. No amount of lighting and new textures will make it compete with today's AAA titles for looks.

But the lighting itself, is a step above AAA. The warmth and natural feel/behavior is on point.
Take it for what it is : A _really_good_ unified lighting/illumination demo.

2 card generations from now, this will be the standard lighting model for anything attempting realism.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Quake II RTX Released

5. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 12:50 Scheherazade

Framerates are about what a decent system would have in q2 when it was new.

Mouse input lag is massive, maybe 200ms. I suspect the input and renderer are now asynchronous.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week

10. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 22:58 Scheherazade

pacbowl wrote on May 27, 2019, 22:01:
Hell yeah, hopefully Zoids, Expert or LMCTF will be compatible.

Man, I loved me some Loki's Minions.

That, and Gloom, were my favorites.

And AirQuake2... but then again I worked on it, so that would make me biased.

-scheherazade

434 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >