Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ask Me

Real Name Ask Me   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scheherazade
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 23:01
Total Comments 346 (Amateur)
User ID 9185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions
34. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 19, 2018, 04:19 Scheherazade

Kxmode wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 15:18:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 14:57:
WoW stopped being They dumbed down the game, questing and much more, and havent seen me again since then.

Having played both vanilla and the recent iteration it always cracks me up with how wrong people are here.

Blizzard didn't dumb down the game. They streamlined it. I know what you're thinking, and no those are not the same. There's PLENTY of challenging content in today's WOW. It is just presented in more streamlined ways, and at different tiers. Blizzard doesn't force you, as they did in vanilla, to do one-size-fits-all content. Now everyone can experience the same content in different play styles. Obviously, the most difficult that requires more skill to complete gives the best rewards.

Sentimentality is fun! I was on Nostalgia when it had an active concurrent player count of 15K. Besides the fact that Blizzard never designed WOW for those numbers (and especially on a PVP server. Strangethorn Vale was the worst!), I was on Nost's IVV team helping to smash bugs. There are so many things in vanilla that lacked quality of life polish that the gameplay wasn't "harder." It just made it less polished. I have no doubts you'll notice them when you play vanilla alongside today's WOW.

When they got rid of talent trees, and started forcing mono-spec builds, that was right around when things went downhill.

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2018, 12:58 Scheherazade

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 11:53:
Scheherazade, you’re half right. But you clearly weren’t using it for its intended purpose.

- You shouldn’t be playing anything in VR that plays competitively against pancake players, that’s a HUGE mistake. Let’s ignore resolution entirely, as that will eventually be on par. What won’t ever “catch up” is our poor weak human bodies. You can’t physically turn and aim like a pancake mouse/kB player. Something as simple as ducking is a quick button press, versus someone having to physically drop down.

-if you had any input lag, that’s not the current VR setup’s fault unless you were using some off-brand thing. Vive and Rift both have no discernable input lag, unless the game itself is lagging. Considering you appeared to have been playing something that work on both Vr and pancake, I assume it was something that probably wasn’t made for Vr to begin with, and has effects that can cause abysmal slowdown.

VR won’t ever look as pretty as pancake games do, because it’s WAY more demanding. People who think it will eventually look just as good are technologically retarded. Resolution will improve, and the sooner devs and VR promoters push SLI, the faster it’ll look better. Second gen headsets should include eye tracking and foveated rendering, allowing for higher resolution screens without as bad of a performance hit.

The benefit is the completely different way you play, and the possibilities allowed by it. If you’re just playing the same old things, that’s *your* mistake. The best VR titles keep the game “close”...not just due to low resolution, but because that’s where the difference is best felt. Once an object is 75-100 feet away from you, depth perception matters less.

I don’t think VR is ready for mass consumption yet. The current sets are there to make the tech available to anyone who wants to try to figure out how to best use this new medium. Games are weird and have no standard, like how pancake games all use WASD and a mouse to move now, but that wasn’t always the case. VR is so alien in nature compared to how games are normally done that programmers still spend a HUGE amount of their development budget on basic interaction functionality.

So, I agree that VR isn’t ready for prime time, but I do think your experience may have been sub-par. What were you playing, and playing ON?

I was mostly using it for DCS and WarThunder. The input is a joystick. No competitive issues with body constraints.

The shooters I tried were still with keyboard+mouse. The VR unit was basically a freelook.

(I have no interest in running around a room, or in VR sandbox titles. First and foremost I want to play the game I want to play.)

The input lag I am referring to is in the game itself. Present regardless of input device.
Eg. Frostbite games have terrible input lag, whereas ID Tech games have nearly no input lag.

Freelook delay using a monitor and mouse (or Track IR) doesn't matter, but in VR it is jarring. Any perceived uncoordinated motion is jarring.

Flight sims were interesting. The seated position maps perfectly to your in game position. The in game avatar would mirror your own self 1:1. Very convincing. With high framerate it was really awesome with only mild discomfort early on.

WarThunder unfortunately relies on spotting tiny dots in the distance to acquire targets. Not possible.
Monitor players would spot and identify me first, so I was always at the disadvantage.
The entertainment value of competition is a big factor, and having a big handicap is too frustrating.

DCS unfortunately has delay on freelook, and no amount of turning the settings down would fix it. The delay was murder.
Also, the HUD was not readable with the potato rez.
Neat enough in free flight, but basically unplayable.
Note that I haven't played it recently, and the new version could be better.

-scheherazade

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2018, 11:30 Scheherazade

As someone who has used VR : It is not ready.

Almost, but 2 or 3 years away from prime time.

The issues are mainly :

- Low resolution (standard rez, half per eye, stretched to 100 ish degrees, looks like ass. Realistically, 8k per eye would be 'fine'. Not even great.)

- GPU performance (even sli 1080's don't manage 120+ fps MINIMUM in every title at the current potato rez)

- Game input lag (effect is jarring, and illness inducing. Input needs to be early-quake-like immediate)

- Software distortion to skew the image causes 1/2 resolution of existing image (resampled pixel grid is fuzzier than the original)

- Software chromatic aberration correction shifts RGB channels independent of one another, further causing even more blur by pixel grid resampling (even MORE potato rez)

Basically, it looks like shit, and runs like shit - compared to a normal display.

This may not be an issue if you're playing some bubbly 3d platformer, or 3d tennis...

But when you try to play something that you would normally want to play, the inability to resolve distant objects is a competitive disadvantage. After you get your ass handed to you a few times by a monitor user, you go right back to a normal monitor.

+Rez nees to go up, a lot.

+GPUs need to get a lot faster.

+Games need to have more immediate controls.

+Lenses need to account for skewing and chromatic aberration. No more software resampling.

Till then, it's a waste of time [if you want it to replace a monitor for general purpose gaming].

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 10, 2018, 09:26 Scheherazade

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 22:06:
Huffman is rather full of shit. Reddit is a bunch of speech silos, and he claims that the best solution to hate speech and racism is to repudiate their views in free conversation. This is not an effective solution due to the bubbles that are created within Reddit, so that you can't engage directly with someone in a sub like /r/The_Donald, because you get banned instantly for any criticism. You can address it in a different sub, but that does little good, because it likely won't be seen by the people who are viewing the sub where the initial speech happened.

So, meh?

Why would I care if someone has a shit opinion.

They are free to have shit opinions, and I am free to have a shit opinion of them. Life moves on.

I don't understand this high school mentality where everyone has to like everyone else. It's ok to dislike people, and it's ok to be disliked.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 1, 2018, 12:01 Scheherazade

I've been using SLI (and at times crossfire) since the 3dfx days. Every generation of whoever had the fastest card out.

In my experience, SLI just works. I haven't had the problems that people go on about with compatibility or performance.

Works flawlessly 75% of the time... and that 75% includes 100% of mainstream titles that I play. The remaining 25% would be the odd inconsequential artifact in a minor name title.

Its usually +50% boost to fps. Sometimes up to +100%. I'm super happy to have it.

I hope SLI lasts for as long as I live.

Note that I've only used SLI with the fastest cards available - as a way to get more than the single card maximum performance of any given generation.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Video
28. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Video Jun 30, 2018, 20:51 Scheherazade

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 16:37:
Scheherazade wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 11:44:
A lot of the newer shit I see I'm like : "ugh, you're in the weeds on details."

Ok, I lol'd at that.

You're absolutely correct. They just keep fucking around with all this minutia that doesn't matter. And that's why you need good producers to keep you on time and budget by moving you away from spinning your wheels pointlessly like that. People either don't know or forget that Wing Commander and Privateer were made in spite of him. That EA fired him because he's a shitty producer that has no business being in that role at all. He's completely unqualified for the job.

And the comments from the fanboys? Holy shit have they ever drunk deep of the Kool-Aid.

Privateer is the best game I've ever played. When I hear the music, it teleports me to another time.

I'm a fanboy. I liked most origin stuff from that era.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2018, 21:02.

6. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Video Jun 29, 2018, 11:44 Scheherazade

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 11:36:
It's DNF all over again. Except CR is wasting other peoples money instead of his own. So over six years on and still nothing to show for it. Lol.

Yeah, the animation re-starts irk me.

Maybe they just are mostly done with animations, and will need more in the future, so in the mean time they leave their animators in 'spin wheels on refinement' mode while they let the pipeline move forward.

I wish they released a less complete product, and added refinement and features later, paid for with expansions.

They could have gotten away with a dozen canned star systems where people can dick around earning credits, etc.

Then each update they can release a larger more complete product, reset progress, but liquidate people's shit so they retain their currency+sale price of their assets.

It's dev anyways. I donno.

A lot of the newer shit I see I'm like : "ugh, you're in the weeds on details."

I say that because when I watch things like overwatch cutscenes, I think "hey, this looks more detailed than the game".
Then I take a moment in game to stop and look at characters and environment, and I realize that the cutscenes aren't any more detailed than the game.
The game is plenty detailed. I just don't see the detail because _I'm busy playing the game_.

So why get obsessed with details when players (presumably they are like me) will be too busy playing to pay attention to details.

-scheherazade

5. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Video Jun 29, 2018, 11:40 Scheherazade

This game will [more likely than not] come out at some point.

And people will be really disappointed.

Whatever is released, had it been release with no build-up or fan-fare, would likely end up being a hit.

But because everything will be old by the time it is new (i.e. released), there will be zero wow factor.

The locations will be old news. The animations will be old news. The assets will be old news. So on and so forth.

Objectively, it will probably be a fine game.
Likely, it will be the most quality product to be released whenever it comes out.
Likely, it will be multiple-award-winning worthy.
Likely, it will be a let down.

Subjectively, for the people that are 'on board' it will never live up to expectations.
For the other people it won't matter anyways.

I suspect the inevitable (and likely objectively unwarranted) disappointment will kill player numbers, and make a dead universe, and dead game.

I backed the game. I haven't watched these updates in months, and that was months since the last time I watched one.
I'll let the game creep up on me. I no longer expect anything any time soon.
I also haven't donated after the first couple months of dev. Jesus take the wheel as far as I'm concerned.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2018, 11:53.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 11:10 Scheherazade

Makes me wonder what he _actually_ did to get fired.

Dating at work, including up/down the hierarchy, is mundanely routine - even with official 'policy' being against it just about ~everywhere. Nobody makes anything of it, unless someone causes problems.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 16, 2018, 00:37 Scheherazade

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 22:29:
Good. I hope she rots in jail.

Oh wait, what am I saying. She's one of the rich. She'll get a slap on the wrist and a stern admonishment that next time, she needs to grease some more governmental palms.

Subject sounds hyperbolic.

AFAIK her machine was less accurate than industry average, and they had to use standard machines to check their work.

Ironically, in light of Bayesian probability, it was not that far behind either.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 15, 2018, 00:24 Scheherazade

Nullity wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 12:45:
Democrats introduce an election security bill that proposes paper trails and mandatory audits.

Definitely a good thing, but expect scumbag Republicans to kill it any way they can. Those fuckers can't win unless they cheat, and it's disgusting.

And before any conservatives here get their panties wadded up: gerrymandering, voter suppression (countless methods - a whole book could be written on just this alone), voter intimidation, destroying the Voting Rights Act, voter registration purges, Fox "news", Russia ('nuff said), McConnell cancelling this summer Senate recess to prevent Democrats from campaigning for the mid-terms, flat-out lying, and even "hanging chads" in 2000. Holy shit, I could do this all day. Sit back down.

You will find just as many horror stories from conservatives in democratically ran areas.

When Obama was in charge, reps wanted paper trails.

Not a single area isn't gerrymandered in favor of the most recent elected party that redrew lines. Anywhere you look.

Broken record all around.

It's just a matter of whose cool aide you're drinking.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2018, 10:30 Scheherazade

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 02:45:
It's all guesswork. Fact remains that Russia did the push on the eastern front, the US opened up and pushed on the western front.

Both contributed to the end of WWII, and you can't disregard the actions of either side, no matter what Redeye thinks.

Im not defending the actions of Stalin, both before and after WWII, but the fact remains that without the Red Army fighthing in the east, D-day would have ended in disaster, and vice-versa.

The eastern front was glossed over in school as "Oh, there was some fighting in the east, too".

It wasn't till I got interested in history and looked into WW2 on my own that I found out how hard Russia carried.

Some things never mentioned in history class :

German industrial production grew steadily throughout ww2 (in spite of bombing) and reached its peak just a few months before German defeat (https://ww2-weapons.com/german-arms-production/)

At the peak of lend-lease, 10% (+/- a few points depending on which items) of Russia's equipment came from lend lease. (The more meaningful contribution being things like food, which was badly needed as there wasn't enough food for everyone)

Germany was in retreat (from Russia) since late 42/early 43. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Eastern_Front_of_World_War_II)
(D day was 8 months from the end of the war, mid 44. Russian land forces were already inside Germany, and had gotten there fighting the land war [against Germany proper] on their own.)

~75% of German WW2 equipment was spent on the eastern front
~80% of the German WW2 army was spent on the eastern front

By the end of ww2, Russia's military was larger than all other allied militaries _combined_, and technologically caught up.
(Hence the fear of Russian expansion, and plans for Operation Unthinkable, which thanks to the A-bomb was not needed.)

Early on, there was actually a sense that the other allies helped just enough to maintain a balance of power between Germany and Russia as the two fought it out, hoping they would eliminate each other.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2018, 10:44.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse May 30, 2018, 15:33 Scheherazade

What this study really says is :

Women heard you can have dudes throw money at you if you stream yourself playing games online.

They just missed the part where you need to be a 9+ (or stacked as all hell) for free money.

In all seriousness, when twitch put in the 'no boobs hanging out' dress code, the female streamers got hammered.

-scheherazade

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 00:08 Scheherazade

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2018, 22:02:
Valve's house, Valve's rules. It's still hugely fucking hypocritical nonetheless.

Objectively no worse than playing terrists in CS, or militants in Battlefield.

Certainly less PC. Which is the real threshold.

-scheherazade

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2018, 14:20 Scheherazade

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2018, 12:52:
Scheherazade wrote on May 27, 2018, 12:43:
Confused, which blues link is this referring to?
None, it's a gaming related newsworthy post in OoTB.
BioWare Boss Apologizes for Ex-Employee’s TotalBiscuit Comments

Ah. I c.

Meh. What goes around comes around.

(To clarify, I mean : if you make a living shitting on other people's work, don't be surprised if you get shat on back)

-scheherazade

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. May 27, 2018, 12:47 Scheherazade

YourNick wrote on May 26, 2018, 09:58:
While it could be used as training for future school shooters, at the same time it could be used for figuring out ways to counteract school shooters, training would-be victims on counter measures. Maybe they should release with the ability to only play as a SWAT member or as a student, and not as the murderer.

AI sucks. If you wanted real training value, you basically need human control of the assailant(s).

-scheherazade

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2018, 12:43 Scheherazade

Cram wrote on May 26, 2018, 14:19:
Bioware Programmer goes on a rant and makes some sick remarks hours after TotalBiscuits death. He has since made is account private and deleted all information referencing him as a Bioware/EA employee.

Tweets
Reddit Thread nearing 10,000 upvotes at /r/pcgaming

Confused, which blues link is this referring to?

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2018, 00:51 Scheherazade

eRe4s3r wrote on May 26, 2018, 00:44:
I hope everyone involved in that swatting circle-jerk gets fucked hard.

But most importantly, the cop goes free, right?

His word against a dead guy. Easy peasy.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 11:32 Scheherazade

class action suits are such a cop out.

Soon as the 'class' wins a suit, all individuals that are of that class are blocked from filing a similar suit forever.

The utility for the defender is this : Lose a suit, give everyone a few bucks, and buy immunity from individual damages (which would be way more per individual).

You have to be on top of things and exclude yourself from these suits. Otherwise you could end up with tens or hundreds of thousands in damages, and no ability to sue, and they hand you 5 bucks and say 'here is your share of the class winnings, you have no other recourse'.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
35. Re: Morning Metaverse May 24, 2018, 09:59 Scheherazade

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:59:
Wow, I didn't realize we had accounts on here taken over by Russian spammers?

Scheherazade - Putin has literally murdered his political rivals, invaded other sovereign nations, and you are defending him? Organized attempts by Russian intelligence services to alter the US election process are deliberate acts of war. The US government is definitely guilty of many crimes, but that doesn't excuse any transgressions by Russia.

Not really surprising at all that you think a US President being compromised by Russian intelligence services is no big deal, because hey, it "helps everyone."

I'm glad you outed yourself, although it's a shame we can't escape this propaganda shit even on a video game site.

You speak in hyperbole. By extension, every time a leader speaks with a foreign dignitary and/or considers their requests, he is compromised. Foreign relations would be impossible.

None of the things you mention are at all uncommon for many of our closest allies, and we're quite happy to look the other way.

Invading nations is not even worth mentioning, when we are the world leader in that metric.

Your post smacks of 'do as I say, not as I do'. At some point, we have to be honest about world affairs, and just accept that everyone is some degree of asshole.

-scheherazade

346 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo