Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ask Me

Real Name Ask Me   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scheherazade
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 23:01
Total Comments 257 (Amateur)
User ID 9185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Jul 19, 2016, 20:28 Scheherazade

KS wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 09:40:
Scheherazade wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 13:31:
#CulturalAppropriationOnlyExistsInTheUSAOtherPlacesAreHappyToSeeFolksAppreciateTheirCulture

-scheherazade

Cultural appropriation, as a "bad thing", is an inherently racist idea. Humans are minds, not DNA, and minds see successful ideas and learn them.

To say you can't, because your DNA is not regulation-approved, is grotesquely racist.

What's your point?

The idea of getting mad about other people appearing as something of your own culture is uniquely of the U.S.. Other nations don't get upset about these things.

eg.
A white person(s) wearing kimono in the U.S. at a Japanese themed party is called out as "cultural appropriation", and they're called racist.
Show that same person(s) to a Japanese national, and they think it's cool that they're doing a Japanese theme, and rather than be offended they're pleased. You'd have to search far and wide to find exceptions.

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2016, 13:38 Scheherazade

Oh well. Looks like this time the Turkish military failed to preserve secularity in Turkish government.

Wonder how much more totalitarian/churchy/rightwing the Turkish government will become before it happens again.

-scheherazade

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2016, 13:31 Scheherazade

#CulturalAppropriationOnlyExistsInTheUSAOtherPlacesAreHappyToSeeFolksAppreciateTheirCulture

-scheherazade

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
13. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 15, 2016, 15:28 Scheherazade

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:21:
Scheherazade wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:51:
Mine was doing this real bad.

Ran DDU and installed latest drivers - it helped a lot, but still was janky.

Then I restored a clean image of my OS (fresh install with no drivers added), and installed only the latest drivers all-around.

Night and day difference. Silky smooth and stutter free.

-scheherazade

When you installed the drivers originally, did you check the "Get rid of everything, install fresh" option?

Always.

But that's not the same as DDU.

The 'fresh install' option just does an uninstall of the current version before installing the new version.
It's not a system sweep of any/all files/references/etc like DDU tries to do.

Realistically, the only way to guarantee that there is no junk/infestation from old drivers, is to load a clean image and install fresh. Can't be infested by something that didn't yet exist (in that system).

-scheherazade

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
10. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 15, 2016, 14:51 Scheherazade

Mine was doing this real bad.

Ran DDU and installed latest drivers - it helped a lot, but still was janky.

Then I restored a clean image of my OS (fresh install with no drivers added), and installed only the latest drivers all-around.

Night and day difference. Silky smooth and stutter free.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2016, 12:53 Scheherazade

I hope the cure sticks.

I have a family member that has permanent lyme. The disease survived and became resistant, and rebounded.

It basically simmers at a low grade, with periodic spikes that are treated with a strong antibiotic concoction provided by IV.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Announcement
30. Re: Overwatch Launch Announcement May 24, 2016, 19:25 Scheherazade

Sepharo wrote on May 24, 2016, 18:58:
4D-Boxing wrote on May 24, 2016, 18:23:
Omni wrote on May 24, 2016, 18:04:
We think shooter veterans and anyone new to the genre will find that Overwatch is an absolute blast to play.

As a Quake veteran I find Overwatch boring as fuck.

I'm slowly starting to accept that quake/UT visceral action has become a niche within a niche within a niche.

I miss the UT rocket dance, me and my flack running directly into fire but, moving smartly to get to the guy and flack buh bye. CTF think & develop a strategy fast and implement it even faster ah the memories. On that note, time for some UT beta fun before supper.

I really wanted the new Doom MP to compete with the new UT beta MP. Sucks that that wasn't the case. Doom took too much from today's MP FPS with loadouts, unlockables, progression, etc.

Does the new Doom support mods?

If so, I would be willing to get it just to make a CPMA style mod - but with a particular focus on fixing :

A) Movement (bunnyhopping, etc. More than just 'press and hold button to move as well as anyone else'.)

B) Weapon balance (weapons with circumstantial benefits (eg. plasma for hallway saturation on backpedaling, RL for denial and movement, combos like '1x rail + mg spam' for an unstacked kill) - not simply different whiz-bang effects for delivering damage. You know, basically what years of experience, learning, and iteration of arena shooter development led to as optimal for exposing tactics and working with map layout)

C) Health/Armor/Weapon collection (So that map control is a thing, forcing movement skill and situational awareness to be a thing)

D) Uncapped (or higher cap) on concurrent weapons.

IMO, the new doom MP, as far as I saw in the beta, was shit. COD like dribble. TBH, COD did it better. I ended up logging on to an old COD4:MW server just to compare, and really, COD did it better. At least it had the lethality to make twitch aiming important. Doom didn't even have that. Just a DPS race with special effects.

Doom MP, as it was in beta? ::hand-in-face::

No one has said that it was fixed since then. If what I'm talking about it old news, then please, inform me.

-scheherazade

23. Re: Overwatch Launch Announcement May 24, 2016, 16:42 Scheherazade

Slick wrote on May 24, 2016, 16:32:
descender wrote on May 24, 2016, 16:29:
It adds "at most 50ms" not always... but yes, that's basically how it works. Running a lower ticrate doesn't "help" people with high pings, it "hurts" people with lower pings because they aren't getting updates from the server as frequently. That's what I meant, anyway.

Well, it hurts everyone, but the LPB's feel it more.

On top of that, broadband is so widespread nowadays that LPBs are the norm.

(Sympathies to those unfortunate rural folks trapped with dial-up, or folks trapped in super saturated neighborhoods sharing a single outbound channel. o7 ::plays taps::)

-scheherazade

19. Re: Overwatch Launch Announcement May 24, 2016, 16:17 Scheherazade

descender wrote on May 24, 2016, 15:12:
The ticrate for OW is supposedly going to be slowly increased over time as they patch and improve the netcode. There is also a patch coming that will enable a 60 ticrate for custom games.

A 20 ticrate essentially normalizes every player to a 50ping. This is why they did it (right or wrong).

The latencies add.

If you have 100 ping (50out, 50 back), then you get status after 50+50 ms.
If you have 30 ping (15out, 15 back), then you get status after 50+15 ms.
If you have 8 ping (4out, 4 back), then you get status after 50+4 ms.

Running low tick isn't gonna make HPBs catch up in lag to LPBs.

LPBs will still see an HPB before an HPB will see an LPB.
On average, the LPBs will shoot first, and their damage dealt will be timestamped earlier, and will get the kill first when the damage is resolved.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 23, 2016, 16:50 Scheherazade

Oh, clickbait.

Reading the article elucidates that the item that doesn't get 1st amendment protection is not Google's right to drop a site.

The 1st amendment issue is regarding that : Google says it can claim e-ventures is spam without having to prove it (because speech), and then drop e-ventures from search results because it's against Google policy to spam. Court says that a spam claim is provable, so go ahead and prove it, no shortcut with 1st amendment claim.

That said, Google is an independent entity that serves up proprietary results for key searches. IMO, it should be their prerogative who they want to list in results. If they want to 'cut someone off', that's their business. A competitor can show up to list the culled sites, for folks that want more results than Google provides.

-scheherazade

News Comments > DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan
47. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 19:58 Scheherazade

Kevin Lowe wrote on May 9, 2016, 15:20:
So, if a game runs at 30 fps, it's an unoptimized console port. If it runs at 60 fps, it's bad because the developer didn't unlock the frame rate. And if it runs over 120 fps, it's because the art assets are console quality.

At what frame rate do people actually say something positive?

When it's high framerate /and/ looks amazing.

30fps is honestly bad.

60fps feels just as bad if you've lately been running 120+ fps on a 120+hz monitor. It's kinda jarring. For slow games like flight sims, it's fine. But in an action game, going down to 60 after a while of using 120 just makes it feel bizzarre - feels like your inputs are lagging and the sense of motion is 'off'. But granted, it's not an issue for folks running 60hz, so I can't fault a company for not catering to the 1% of monitors. It's kinda in the '1st world problems' category, so whatever.

D4 beta was a low rez texture washed-out mess. If the 200 fps demo is at the same graphics quality, then running 200fps simply means that the devs were appropriately competent - because it's to be expected.

-scheherazade

News Comments > DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan
15. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 11:56 Scheherazade

Eh'...

If it looks anything like the beta, it *should* be running at 200+ fps.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2016, 15:52 Scheherazade

TBH, if it wasn't throttled, who on a 'classic data plan' would bother using netflix mobile if they would blow their entire monthly data budget in 2 hours - and then be left with anal-rape per byte fees afterwards?

Throttling sounds bad, but in this specific case, mainstream mobile users would have begged for a throttling feature had it not been in place.

And yeah, it makes sense that a carrier like T-mobile with no overage fees would be exempt from throttling.

This would all sound better (given the Net Neutrality arguments of late) if the throttling had been a user control setting in Netflix' account/app options (where most att/verizon customers would have had it enabled anyways).

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 23, 2016, 09:26 Scheherazade

MS is right.

MS had the first tablet - no one remembers. Because it was too bulky and too expensive. It took time for technology to shrink and make it cheap enough and appealing.

Sony had the first smart phone - no one remembers. Because it was too chunky and the OS was premature. It took time for technology to shrink and the software to mature so as to make it cheap enough and appealing.

One thing MS can take from apple is : Release products at the right time. When it has the proper maturity level and the proper price point. Then people will care. If it's not ready, no one will care, and no one will remember.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Star Citizen Split Details
13. Re: Star Citizen Split Details Feb 9, 2016, 12:50 Scheherazade

Well, that was a pleasant surprise.

I was expecting them to turn it into two separate $60 games.

But making it one $45 single player game + $15 multiplayer addon actually keeps the price at a max of $60 (in line with today's AAA titles) - and actually lets people that want only singleplayer pay less. Hell must be pretty cold right now.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
27. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 19:13 Scheherazade

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:55:
The Pyro wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:33:
Placid wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:10:
About how much will the Oculus Rift cost?

That's the big question... $400 is probably on the low side, though hopefully it's in the ball park. The bigger cost is the fancy PC you need to run it. You need a beefy video card (GTX 970 at the minimum) because VR requires high refresh rates and renders two images (one for each eye) at the same time, so it's also more than double the number of pixels of a 1080p display.

Older games might not need such beefy hardware, of course, but then they're also less likely to have great VR support to begin with.

It isn't that many more pixels than a 1080p display. Check resolution then do math. That said, I'd think a 970 is a safe bottom end at this time. But if they make cartoon games like Lucky's Palm... I'm sure it's that way for a reason. To keep frames high.

Part of their re-scaling system involves rendering to double-pixel rez, and then sub sampling (as per nyquist requirements, you need twice as many samples as your reconstructed frequency).

That said, you still can't avoid 'in between pixels' limitations, where 1 pixel wide features that end in between pixels end up 'Fd in the A' IQ wise.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
15. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 17:11 Scheherazade

Rossafur wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:52:
I've been jonesing for this to make my return to flight sims (Falcon 4.0 and MechWarrior 2 for the S3 Virge were the first Windows PC games I played way back as a kid) as I'm spending a fortune crashing my RC aircraft over and over, but reading about the 90 FPS it requires has me worried...

I'm still rocking a I-7 2600K @ 3.4GHZ (but smart-clocked or whatever to 4.4GHZ with the ASUS app) for years now, but with 8gb RAM and a GTX 970 I have yet to feel the need to upgrade my CPU... Is this going to be what requires it?

DK2 (which is most of the rez of CV) is terrible for flight sims of 'modern' aircraft - because the hud is unreadable. None of the numbers are legible (unless you move your face significantly forward to get closer to them). Simply not enough dots across that wide of an FOV to resolve one or two pixel wide symbology. This is compounded by the image shifting/scaling that happens to realign chromatic aberration (work around needed to compensate for the simple single stage lens).

I posted a link to this before, take a look. The blurriness is not youtube compression - it's like that normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkMMEmXlcLk

-scheherazade

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
43. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 27, 2015, 20:38 Scheherazade

Kalthorn wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 20:14:
Scheherazade wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 17:31:

FYI, in software dev. The latest non-daily release is labelled "stable".

It's convention to call it " stable", likely stemming from how 'at the time that they release it' its the most stable of the recent dailies.

However, the title "stable" is not a description of the software's actual stability or instability - it just means 'not a daily'.

This isn't a CIG thing, its a naming convention throughout software dev.
-scheherazade

FYI, not true at all. Stable means stable. Stable builds receive more testing and remain in place through many daily builds. It's not merely some slightly older build.

If you are actually in software development and follow this practice then I fear for your customers and you would be doing a service to the public to name your employer.

No such thing. Stable is a name forged in hope and expectation, and with time always turned into a lie.

You can test all you want, and you can have a great impression of whatever build you elect to be your latest 'stable'. Regardless, over time bugs will be encountered and bug fixes will make their way into newer builds. Progress will inevitably leave 'stable' less stable than current - barring new broken features. It's the very nature of progress.

Like I said, stable is 'the most stable build at the time it is released' - but time moves on, and what was once considered a good build will be looked back on as crap compared to newer builds.

Hence the redhat example. The [relatively] ancient stable releases are more unstable/broken than the free and more often updated fedora that redhat branches from. It's a case where 'stable' just means 'what is broken is well understood and your kickstart scripts that patch/fix crap will remain valid for a long time because the next stable isn't coming to fix what is broke for a long while'. If you want less headaches, you're better off with the bugfixed fedora releases than the old busted redhat 'stable'.

Also, its a given that 'testing' is how you judge the stability of a build. Unless you're doing some sorta faith based coding...

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2015, 20:48.

29. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 26, 2015, 17:31 Scheherazade

Kosumo wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:42:
Scheherazade, you contradict yourself just like how RSI does.

You say you can play 2.1 without crashes, you say it is more stable than 2.0, you then go on to say PTU is a snapshot and non-PTU (2.0) is stable. Then go on to explain that that is not always true.

That's all fine, but why then would they release it to a wider player base? YOLO is a dumb reason for anything.

By them opening it to a wider player base, and baiting them in with the mention of the Freelance, they are undermining them self's.

They even say how the PTU server are more restricted, yet here they are enticing more players to give it a try, hince, making those who would use it for bug hunting potential having to wait/miss out.

This is poor management.

As to the Star Marine issue, why then did they make the effort (which they clearly did, at some expense)?

So you don't see a need for Star Marine, well at some point Chris Roberts did - and I say that point was so that they could work on that aspect of the FPS gameplay, he was selling it up like a tactical squad shooter like SWAT or something.

I have only watched a few (maybe 90 mins total) videos of the 2.0 since it came out - I've been away working a lot - but I've yet to see any footage of people ingaging in any kind of FPS play that is anything like what Chris Roberts was talking about a year ago, in fact, I've seen no FPS shoot outs. At best I've seen a person shot their gun!

How are they going to develop their FPS gameplay if no one is testing it?

As to Arena Commander, did they use that to help refine the space fighting because from all I ever seen (it was like turrents in space, lame as) and read, very few people where happy with it and thing that people complained/disliked about it to CIG where not addressed. It was nothing more than a place where people could accutly use their internet spaceships, therefore helping to sell internet spaceships. Nothing more.

FYI, in software dev. The latest non-daily release is labelled "stable".

It's convention to call it " stable", likely stemming from how 'at the time that they release it' its the most stable of the recent dailies.

However, the title "stable" is not a description of the software's actual stability or instability - it just means 'not a daily'.

This isn't a CIG thing, its a naming convention throughout software dev.

In actuality, its common for current "daily" releases to have more bug fixes and more actual stability than the the older "stable" releases.

Keep that in mind when reading my post, it should help you understand it better.

As per star marine, AFAIK they were gonna use it to demo fps prior to fps working in the universe (expecting the universe to take much longer?). Clearly the universe fps beat star marine to the punch.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2015, 17:38.

27. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 26, 2015, 14:52 Scheherazade

DNF comparisons are out of context.

DNF was a victim of rapid technological progress outpacing its own goals.

They wanted DNF to be so far ahead of the pack when it comes out that it would be an even bigger hit than Duke3D.

That decade had silly fast progress. Every other year was a night and day change in graphics.

From Doom to COD/HL2 was a span of ~10years... and DNF was pushing a multi year dev cycle.

At that time, if you tried to make a game with more than a 1 or 2 year dev cycle, it would look ancient by the time it was out.

By the time they would finish making all the DNF content, it would look old. Then they would start making new content, and again by the time they finished it would look old. They were in a death spiral that burned through all of their money - but it's a death spiral that could only exist within that decade.

Now that graphics and tech have stagnated, and change is slow, the very same development cycle that failed DNF in the 90s would today bring the game to completion without needing any reboots mid dev.

-scheherazade

257 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo