Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek Smart

Real Name Derek Smart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dsmart
Email Concealed by request
Description oldest #indiedev fossil. was indie before it was a thing. science & sci-fi aficionado, gamer, game dev, writer, entrepreneur, the Battlecruiser guy
Homepage http://www.dereksmart.com
Signed On Feb 26, 2001, 14:53
Total Comments 1014 (Pro)
User ID 9141

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
68. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 16, 2018, 12:19  dsmart 

Guys! Guys!, I just stopped by to see who else thinks this is my fault.

For the record, since 2015, I have WARNED that this is where things would be headed once it became clear that they could NEVER ship the games promised.

I break down this latest refund fiasco in this short thread.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
63. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 29, 2018, 19:36  dsmart 

HorrorScope wrote on May 29, 2018, 19:04:
I got an extra $27,000 bundle I don't need, first to PM me gets it.

If all the ships don't come with LTI, my offer is $21,625. Take it or leave it.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

62. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 29, 2018, 19:33  dsmart 

The Pyro wrote on May 29, 2018, 15:17:
Star Citizen is probably not a money laundering scheme because that would imply that they've got some sort of illegal income that suddenly looks more legitimate as payments from random strangers in return for luxury virtual starships.

Are you serious? Do you even know how much fraud goes on in online games where they use stolen credit cards, drug money used to buy debit cards, use those for in-game items, then sell those items and cash out?

Like ALL game companies with in-game cash shots, CIG knows that's going on with their game and it was even more prevalent due to how they had NO controls whatsoever to curb it. It's how the Grey market itself flourished until CIG started requesting ID and such for some suspicious refunds.

They have a 14 day refund policy. So it's very easy to pull off.

There is ZERO evidence to suggest that CIG is engaged in money laundering, but they most certainly know what's going on.

There has been a $15K Completionist package for sale since day one. Some people bought it outright, other's kept buying until they hit or exceeded that amount to get the Completionist tag.

This $27K packaged is no different. Except that you're not going to be able to charge $27K on any card to buy it. It has to be a special transaction directly through CIG. Which puts them in the loop.

Then there's this guy:

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1001554577588674562

53. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 29, 2018, 11:08  dsmart 

Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2018, 11:00:
Err, what? My understanding of money laundering is you are taking money raised illegally, like by selling drugs, using it to buy and sell something "legitimate" hence, "laundering" it.

That's a very narrow definition of what money laundering is.

If there is a question as to where the money came from, you say "I sold X." How would this process play out with $27k SC packages?

Who said it was CIG doing the laundering? Do try to keep up.

49. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 29, 2018, 10:46  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2018, 14:20:
Eirikrautha wrote on May 28, 2018, 13:01:
There's some kind of money laundering going on here. That's the only rational explanation for this. Otherwise our society has gotten so decadent that there is no recovery. God will owe Sodom and Gomorrah an apology if we don't come crashing down soon...

I really don't think there is money laundering. The money is up there on the screen, it's just that the scope keeps expanding, so they never finish anything.

Also $27000 is nothing for the mafia. When criminals launder their money, they buy $5M apartments in Manhattan.

So, how does the amount they claimed to have raised, being public, mean that it's not money laundering?

Do you really believe that all money launderers operate in the millions? You can't be serious. Either that or you're ignorant to how the world works. That you think all the people stealing credit cards while making millions from selling them, buying merchandise and selling them isn't "big enough", is absolutely hilarious.

I believe it's money laundering to some degree. At least on the part of the people who would by $27K DLC for an incomplete video game, with the understanding/plan to get their money back out at a later date. If CIG are willing to refund that money, it's basically an interest-free loan (zero paperwork) which they would have to be complicit in, now that they've basically stopped giving refunds since they released the disastrous 3.0 this past Dec.

And how hard is it to setup multiple accounts with $27K purchases? It's not as if backers (I personally have 3 accounts) don't have multiple accounts already, and which they use to game the sales system.

Plus, they already had the $15K Completitionist pack which didn't even have all the ships.

News Comments > Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers
65. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:54  dsmart 

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 16:09:
Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 18:32:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 17:26:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 16:31:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 15:58:
Why do I care?

Are you shitting me right now?

Wait! Ignore that. I see you still haven't given up on being a complete moron, Beamer. Never give up. You'll make it to the end of that road one day. Stay strong!

You got a refund, so what's your stake now? The good name of the space game genre? Genuinely curious. Most of the stuff in your post is either history, or doesn't affect you personally.

Also, nice ad hominem.

Why do you care?

Because it seems to be all you discuss anymore, and some of us who enjoyed your opinion on other things wonder why you can't move on from SC drama.

And, again, since being polite doesn't seem to work, do you know any self-declared geniuses who are actually geniuses? It's you, Donald Trump, Kanye, and the cast of r/iamverysmart.
Not to worry, DSmart will vanish again for years once he realizes no one here will give him the confirmation bias he so craves.
sad

Oh look, the gang's all here. I have been on BN longer than you have. I don't post because of shits like you, Beamer et al.

64. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:51  dsmart 

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 13:08:
dsmart wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 11:05:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 21:10:
D Wrecker is in the house! Ok, lets all go out side now Smug

Nice to see the gang's all here. In truth, though I still read Blues, I just don't join in discussions any more because it tends to devolve into a frigging inconsequential circle-jerk. Who needs that shit, when there's Reddit?

Take for instance my recent post below after many months. I only came here because a Twitter follower sent me this comment in the thread, asking for clarification (it's rubbish). But the minute I post, the completely predictable response is that it automatically became about me, rather than the subject. And yet some wonder why I reacted the way I did. Fuck 'em. Life's too short, and I'm all out of rope.

Takes a self-certified genius with a phd he's never defended to see that jdreyer was being entirely facetious and mocking how every dev/pub is looking to add a Battle Royale mode. We all appreciate you letting us know it was rubbish.

You never fail to make an absolute ass of yourself. My response was that's what I told Erik, who sent me the Twitter DM yesterday. I told him it was rubbish. That's WHY I put that comment in my BN post in parenthesis. I wasn't tell anyone here that it was rubbish, because I don't care. If I cared, I would have addressed the post directly when I came here. I didn't.

63. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:47  dsmart 

Prez wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 12:59:
In truth Roberts can at any time throw whatever he has got out into the market, say "It's finished -here you go!" and basically have met his obligation to backers. I mean the class action against Gearbox for the Colonial Marines debacle went nowhere despite the shocking number of blatant lies surrounding the whole project, and then there's No Man's Sky...

At this point, so many people are so invested in Star Citizen's utter failure that the game can actually end up shipping and being pretty good (Not an outcome that I consider likely but you never know...) yet it will always be viewed as a failure. Me, I'm keeping my expectations low (which is to say, I expect a MAJOR flop) but secretly dream of a future where SC ships and is awesome.

I have said this for THREE YEARS now that not only are backers not going to see a dime in refund, let alone a game of any kind, but now that they have effectively stopped giving legacy refunds (as I said earlier today), but only the govt will have the power to investigate and/or punish them. There won't be any lawsuits, let alone class action lawsuit because any such complaints will be forced into arbitration as per the TOS. And there is NO way backers are going to get around that.

Anyone who didn't pay attention and get a refund when they still good, only has themselves to blame. The rest of us will just continue to point and lol.

56. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 11:05  dsmart 

Kosumo wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 21:10:
D Wrecker is in the house! Ok, lets all go out side now Smug

Nice to see the gang's all here. In truth, though I still read Blues, I just don't join in discussions any more because it tends to devolve into a frigging inconsequential circle-jerk. Who needs that shit, when there's Reddit?

Take for instance my recent post below after many months. I only came here because a Twitter follower sent me this comment in the thread, asking for clarification (it's rubbish). But the minute I post, the completely predictable response is that it automatically became about me, rather than the subject. And yet some wonder why I reacted the way I did. Fuck 'em. Life's too short, and I'm all out of rope.

53. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 23, 2018, 18:38  dsmart 

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 18:32:
Because it seems to be all you discuss anymore, and some of us who enjoyed your opinion on other things wonder why you can't move on from SC drama.

Aw, that's so cute.

And, again, since being polite doesn't seem to work, do you know any self-declared geniuses who are actually geniuses? It's you, Donald Trump, Kanye, and the cast of r/iamverysmart.

You were never - ever - polite. What happened when I wasn't looking|around? You grew a pair?

51. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 23, 2018, 17:26  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 16:31:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 15:58:
Why do I care?

Wait! Ignore that. I see you still haven't given up on being a complete moron, Beamer. Never give up. You'll make it to the end of that road one day. Stay strong!

You got a refund, so what's your stake now? The good name of the space game genre? Genuinely curious. Most of the stuff in your post is either history, or doesn't affect you personally.

Also, nice ad hominem.

Why do you care?

48. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 23, 2018, 15:58  dsmart 

Why do I care?

46. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 23, 2018, 13:36  dsmart 

They don't have 2M backers. It's pure bullshit. I personally have 4 accounts, with various things in each one. Not including the one they banned back in 2015 after I wrote The July Blog.

Last we checked, not taking refunds into account, they barely had 500K unique backer accounts.

Also, according to metrics, it's basically about 2000 whales stuck in Sunk Cost Fallacy, still giving them money.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
38. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 15:42  dsmart 

Prez wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:21:
I don't give a crap about all the drama surrounding Star Citizen - I'm into gaming, not soap operas. That said, having read this article and the one Blue posted last week about the troubled development of SC thus far, I started thinking to myself about all the games with this kind of troubled development cycle that have come out since I've been a gamer. Personally I can't think of one that has been released and even came close to delivering on the original promise of the game. The closest one I can think of is Homefront, but that game was merely average and could have been so much better.

Not one. Not a single one. Ever.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
84. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 27, 2016, 14:29  dsmart 

I wasn't going to post, just observe. So I'm going to just leave this here because it's brilliant.

I said they haven't delivered $20M worth of product, on account of the fact that they haven't delivered anything. In fact the statements CIG has said thus far about the limited number of solar systems (less than 100 will be at release according to CR), drop-in drop-out co-op (no longer a feature), and private servers (literally the last thing they will ever do according to Jared) makes it difficult to see how the product we are getting at release is equivalent to what was originally promised, let alone this $125M masterpiece. I'm not a game developer so I can't be sure, but you would think that CIG would have made it perfectly clear exactly what people are getting for their money.

You know what I am? A backer who pays attention. I pay attention when CIG says a product like Squadron 42 is being released in November 2014, then Fall 2015, and now 2016. I pay attention when CIG says the Dogfighting Module is being released in December 2014, then being delayed until spring so they can fix the netcode, then revealed in a disastrous event that still takes two months before backers can play, then takes another month because the netcode isn't fixed. I pay attention when Star Marine is scheduled for Spring 2014, then Spring 2015, then "weeks, not months" during Summer 2015, then nothing until January 2016 when the founder bitches about how annoyed he is at people asking where Star Marine is, then nothing until Gamescom 2016 when magically Star Marine is showing up in the next patch. I pay attention when all of this happens while CIG says features originally promised in Kickstarter and stretch goals are delayed past released, yet somehow all of the delays are justified because they said they're delivering more. I pay attention when they deny refunds on the grounds that a "substantive portion of the game" has already delivered while at the same time they say if Star Citizen were under development by any other company it wouldn't even be called an alpha. I pay attention to all of this because CIG said that I was their publisher and that they would treat me with the same level of respect and honest communication.

Calling CIG out for failing to meet their own expectations is not armchair development. It's not undermining the developers. It's keeping them accountable.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
33. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 14:06  dsmart 

It still works. I just tend to lurk more because when I post about Star Citizen, everything just goes to shit - immediately.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
159. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 18:13  dsmart 

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 17:28:
Somehow, this went from the tiring "debate with factual authority about whether the game that's years out will be the best thing ever or a monstrous failure" to the even more tedious "let's join together and shit on the last green label name that still hangs out here."

Pretty much. And if you look at the thread, you will see that once they figured out that talking about Star Citizen was just going to flood the lolz filter, they switched gears to attacking me and my games; as if that's going to change anything.

And to make things even funnier, they don't even have any facts to relay, seeing as nothing they've posted has been based on facts, reality or even sensibilities.

Like I said: shit for brains

And these clowns still think that amid COD:IW, Titanfall2, Mass Effect:A, that SQ42 shit actually stands a chance. I mean seriously, just LOOK at the latest COD:IW mission play through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzUyxT4z2M

149. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 15:45  dsmart 

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 15:43:
NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:45:
dsmart wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 12:51:
Dacron wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 10:58:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 06:55:
You can no longer buy that heap of shit on steam. He abandoned it and replaced it with an isometric view android app version. Called "line of defense tactics" (reviewed just as poorly by the 19 people who bought it.). I can imagine that happened after steam briught in the refund policy, and with nearly every owner having less than 2 hours in they were basically all eligible.

derp

again Derek you show your lack of reading comprehension and falsehoods. In his post he states that you can no longer buy your POS game, where you then agree with him by saying that the game is CBT or whatever the fux you made up to say you're not selling it anymore, hence ... you can't buy the POS anymore ... also that you and your company replaced your POS game that was being refunded and smashed on the reviews with another POS game call ... Da Da Daaaaa .. LoD Tactics. I didn't read anywhere that was said both are no longer on Steam ... just you couldn't buy the first POS game, which is true ... and both games are being torn apart on reviews ... which again, is true. BTW , love the paid positive reviews, nice touch there ...

and again, sigh ... if I wanted to right now, this second as in right now, go to CIG pay my 49$ to download the SC client (right now as in today). I can play, you know launch a digital piece of software on my computer, and enjoy what little game play they offer at this moment but arguably far better than what you or your company currently offers or has offered in the past. You know the released version of SC that is you know, released .... I mean, wow, are you really that delusional or is this just an act to get more views on your only source of income, your blog?
CBT
When something sucks so bad that it's not even up to Steams Early Access standards, and early access has no standards, lolz.
Closed Test Group

Early Access -> CBT -> Release

CBT (Closed Beta Test) is the opposed of OBT (Open Beta Test). Companies used either one or both during development of a product. It's all very standard.

LOD was in Early Access in Sept 2014. It entered CBT April 2016.

144. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 14:46  dsmart 

NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:32:
Do you or your company openly sell, update, promote, bug fix LoD? No .. well hmmmm that might be taken as vapor ware or another term , abandoned ware ...

Did you or your company effectively replace your older title, LoD, with a newer game, LoD tactics and then begin to sell and promote said new title? Hmmm yes, so anther term is your replace your older sofeware with a newer title .... please Derek, keep posting to show more of your superb intellect / sarcasm

LOD changelog

LOD roadmap

LOD dev news

LOD dev news (Steam)

All updated like, THIS week (two builds released).

LOD Tactics (multi-platform: ios, android, pc, xboxone), developed, completed, released (XBoxOne version was released Dec 2015) is a spin-off title based on the LOD IP. Same as how my other games (Battlecruiser, Universal Combat) have different game types which share the same IP.

LOD Tactics does not replace LOD. They're completely different games. One is an RTS (Unity4), the only is an FPS (custom engine based on Havok tech) hybrid.

139. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 14:18  dsmart 

NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:45:
dsmart wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 12:51:
Dacron wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 10:58:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 06:55:
You can no longer buy that heap of shit on steam. He abandoned it and replaced it with an isometric view android app version. Called "line of defense tactics" (reviewed just as poorly by the 19 people who bought it.). I can imagine that happened after steam briught in the refund policy, and with nearly every owner having less than 2 hours in they were basically all eligible.

Nice try. You're an ignorant fool.

1) LOD Tactics and LOD are two different games

... or a released game. So, by all means, do carry on. The joke will forever remain on you lot.

again Derek you show your lack of reading comprehension and falsehoods. In his post he states that you can no longer buy your POS game, where you then agree with him by saying that the game is CBT or whatever the fux you made up to say you're not selling it anymore, hence ... you can't buy the POS anymore ... also that you and your company replaced your POS game that was being refunded and smashed on the reviews with another POS game call ... Da Da Daaaaa .. LoD Tactics. I didn't read anywhere that was said both are no longer on Steam ... just you couldn't buy the first POS game, which is true ... and both games are being torn apart on reviews ... which again, is true. BTW , love the paid positive reviews, nice touch there ...

and again, sigh ... if I wanted to right now, this second as in right now, go to CIG pay my 49$ to download the SC client (right now as in today). I can play, you know launch a digital piece of software on my computer, and enjoy what little game play they offer at this moment but arguably far better than what you or your company currently offers or has offered in the past. You know the released version of SC that is you know, released .... I mean, wow, are you really that delusional or is this just an act to get more views on your only source of income, your blog?

The joke's on you, because this is what he wrote, and which I responded to. I know that most of you guys have shit for brains, which explains the buying of JPEGs for a game that can never be done, but do try to keep up.

You can no longer buy that heap of shit on steam. He abandoned it and replaced it with an isometric view android app version

1014 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo