Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Derek Smart

Real Name Derek Smart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dsmart
Email Concealed by request
Description oldest #indiedev fossil. was indie before it was a thing. science & sci-fi aficionado, gamer, game dev, writer, entrepreneur, the Battlecruiser guy
Homepage http://www.dereksmart.com
Signed On Feb 26, 2001, 14:53
Total Comments 1092 (Pro)
User ID 9141

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Announces $100M MegaGrants Initiative
9. Re: Epic Announces $100M MegaGrants Initiative Mar 21, 2019, 13:46  dsmart 

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 21:09:
Is it really a grant when they have to use Epic's software and platform exclusively?

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq?active=devgrants

Is my non-UE4 project eligible?

Yes. If your project is built in another engine or toolset and you want to move it to UE4, you are eligible to apply for an Epic MegaGrant. If you want to develop a project that enhances open-source 3D content creation, whether or not it integrates with or relates to UE4, you are also eligible.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Announces $100M MegaGrants Initiative
8. Re: Epic Announces $100M MegaGrants Initiative Mar 21, 2019, 13:44  dsmart 

WaltC wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 18:27:
Give me a list of grant recipients that can be verified, and then I shall believe this...;)

List of recipients from the previous grant

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/epic-games-unreal-dev-grant-1203165517/

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
94. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 20, 2019, 07:37  dsmart 

Orogogus wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 03:30:

I can't speak to software, but in manufactured goods, if you don't have feature parity or a pricing edge, you're often not viable. Why would I buy a non-exclusive game from the Epic store? Steam has streaming and broadcasting, global controller rebinding, the mods workshop, gifting, wishlists and sale notifications, tags, gift cards, a shopping cart, DLC, remote access, VR support, family sharing, family view, a music player, the ability to add non-Steam games, and cloud saves. Epic's big customer-facing features are not having forums or reviews. I feel like I'd have to be stupid to buy from them if I have a choice.

Amen. And as I said in my tweet threads, despite the fact that Tim Sweeney has clearly stated why they're doing exclusives; even acknowledging that EGS is still not on par with Steam in terms of features let alone content, some people still don't get it.

79. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 11:57  dsmart 

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 09:21:
dsmart wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:26:

Bit out of the loop old man?

You didn't prove a single one of your points; let alone disprove any of mine. All you did was post out of context references to...nuthin'.

78. Re: removed Mar 19, 2019, 11:54  dsmart 

dsmart wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:26:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 19, 2019, 11:49.

I have no idea why my post was removed. I didn't divulge any trade secrets or contractual info. All I stated was that free games is paid for similar to how bundles (cheap) are priced. It's not a secret.

73. removed Mar 19, 2019, 08:26  dsmart 

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 19, 2019, 11:49.

72. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 08:17  dsmart 

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 23:01:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:51:
That's why people are angry here. If third-party publishers want to go exclusive on Epic Game Store, that's fine,

No they are pissed for all the reasons in this thread no matter where you go. The having it on Steam and then pulled off, that was just another scoop of rage added.

I agree. And another scoop of rage was the recent Steam user data mining issue that surfaced last week, and which I wrote about here.

71. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 08:14  dsmart 

Kain wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:02:
I didn't think Discord really had much of a store anymore. They let you subscribe to "Nitro" to support development and throw in some games if you do so. It's like a poor mans Origin Access. Beyond that they let developers sell directly to consumers if they pay to unlock a merchant account. The scuttlebutt from some devs on reddit was that the company was diluting their resources too much and didn't feel they could compete with the larger players in the industry.

EGS and Steam on the other hand seem like more direct competitors. I just wish EGS would expand its feature set instead of focusing on buying content deals. Price and features are what draws me to platforms.

Discord found out pretty quickly that they simply couldn't compete with ANY already established store. People don't use Discord to buy games. All they did was add bloat. We've seen this with Xfire and others which died as a result of forgetting what they were created for.

The only way that any store can meaningfully compete with Steam, instead of being just another key seller, is by doing what Epic is doing. There is simply no other way. I mean, GreenManGaming tried that, but they don't have the financial war chest to even compete in terms of getting meaningful games to publish exclusively. GoG tried that with Witcher3, failed spectacularly, and had to put the game back on Steam.

70. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 08:08  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 20:42:
But it's not a store. It's a chatting app. It's not the same thing.

It is a store, just like GoG, Humble, GreenManGaming etc

And just last week, they announced that devs can now also sell their games directly from their channel.

69. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 08:05  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 20:23:
Deep Silver made an obligation to customers that the game would be available for sale on Steam (until it wasn't). Phoenix Point had an obligation to backers to be available on Steam and GOG (now, it's not). That's why people are reasonably angered. If third-party publishers want to go exclusive, then do it from the beginning not after the fact. Nothing angers people more than changing expectations.

Ah yeah, those are valid but completely different issues (which I've also written about in my Twitter threads). Epic offered them money for exclusives. Couple that with the higher royalty rates, and the fact that discovery (aside from the toxicity) issues on Steam have gone from bad to worse, I don't know any dev who wouldn't take that deal. I know I would (I've done exclusives before).

That's not Epic's fault. They're using their financial war chest to get exclusives in order to seed their store. Gamers should be upset at the devs; especially at the Phoenix Point devs because that game was crowd-funded (47K people) with the promise that it would be coming to two stores; and now it's not.

As I said in my thread, there are more (most of them at AA or AAA) exclusives coming this year and which are yet to be announced. A lot of people are going to be very upset all over again. Especially since Epic isn't interested in games that are a long way off. They are looking for games are almost finished and due out in few months only.

45. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 19:00  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:42:
It's an established fact that consoles have exclusives and people expect it when they buy an Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo device.

That's not a robust comparison. If you took Xbox and Playstation, it levels the playing field because they both have explicit exclusives - and not because of the platform. Especially where it pertains to first (developed by the console owners) party games.

It's only an "established" fact because consoles made it happen due to 1) architectural differences which made it costly to develop for multiple consoles 2) exclusivity used to sell console hardware

There is nothing special about the PC that says the same business model can't be used. Except it's more about money, than it is about architecture.

Conversely, PC Gaming has never had exclusives beyond Windows versus Apple.

That's not true - at all. In fact, remember how CD Project tried to make Witcher 3 an exclusive on GoG? Guess how that went. What about how Stardock used its own titles and made them exclusive to it's now-defunct Impulse store (sold to GameStop)?

The only exclusives that exist today are top-tier publisher titles on the publisher's store. That's been around since '00s.

That doesn't make them any less exclusive to the store they are sold on.

Third-party store exclusives is a NEW thing that Epic has done and is trying to make a thing

That's not true at all. You have Activision, Ubisoft, EA and some others (e.g. Epic with Fortnite) all doing exclusive titles. As I mentioned in my Twitter thread, even Discord is doing exclusives (of games nobody cares about or heard of)

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2019, 19:40.

42. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 18:51  dsmart 

Simon Says wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:18:
Done reading and while I agree on a lot of the points, I disagree that signing exclusives is a competitive move.

Competition is by definition multiple platforms fighting over the consumer's money. Which leads to better prices and services.

Competition:

"the effort of two or more parties acting independently to secure the business of a third party by offering the most favorable terms"

The context is that EGS uses exclusives in order to compete with Steam. If it didn't, then it would be just another storefront key seller like GoG, Humble Bundle, GreenManGaming etc. Heck, even Discord is now offering exclusives (mostly for games nobody cares about or even heard of).

It's a perfectly valid competitive move which is no different from console games, movies and similar exclusive content.

I'm surprised you went for the easy and often fallacious tribalism stereotype. Altho it is true for some, it ain't true for all.

Obviously I wasn't speaking for all.

35. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 17:27  dsmart 

Simon Says wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:14:
dsmart wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:05:
I have written extensive threads about this fiasco. My latest was today. Enjoy!

Appreciate your input Derek, but reading stuff on twitter that is 56 messages long just leads to a TL&DR case wherehas I would've gladly read it all if it was the same content in a concise article on 1 page. Sorry mate.

Anyone can resume it for our sanity's sake here please? Thanks.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But it's a pretty long thread of tweets - all fit on one page. However, try this link if it makes it more readable for you

34. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 17:21  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:10:
dsmart wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:05:

Wait a second. We didn't do the chant!

DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

Okay, we're good now.

Someone did it silently.

31. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 17:05  dsmart 

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2019, 17:29.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash
132. Re: removed Feb 1, 2019, 16:45  dsmart 

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 08:20:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 04:00:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 03:38:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 03:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 12:37:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 31, 2019, 14:15.

Goddammit. How am I supposed to read your forking shirt if it gets removed???

I assume you have watched all of The Good Place. If not, what's wrong with you? .

I feel like that would be an awesome Blue's News shirt! A navy color shirt with the red *REMOVED*

Haha that's a good idea actually.
Nobody would know what it means, but it's a perfect shirt for this community lol

It would have to have Cutter's avatar pic on the back.

I agree. Then underneath would be the lettering of what I see in some posts here: "To view this user's posts click on the username"

119. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 31, 2019, 19:23  dsmart 

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 16:33:
In the long run, I mean, Epic needs users for this thing to live. It needs users to keep investing in it, and it needs users to keep publishers interested.

Things Epic does not have:
Users
Anything more than the most bare customer support (including forums)
Cloud saves
Anything to let you interact with other players
Time to build all of these things that took Valve 15 years
Money to blow on something extremely expensive that may be pointless

Things Epic does have:
Control of their fee structure (to undercut Steam)
Enough money to bring some timed exclusives (to draw consumers)

Over time, it could grow to something great. It won't do it without traffic and publishers, though, and it's impossible to compete on Steam normally right now.

I don't see much benefit to consumers, even over time, in pricing. Publishers control the pricing. A movie is generally the same on Apple as Amazon as Google as YouTube. Competition between platforms didn't lower prices (but competition in products did.0

Oh you made a list. That's so cute.

This is a REAL list.

118. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 31, 2019, 19:21  dsmart 

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 16:11:

What game? Who is Deepsilver?

All I care about is that DS posted here

LOL!! I pop in once in awhile, especially if it's about Star Citizen or as in this case, I get invoked via the The Signal :p

117. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 31, 2019, 19:19  dsmart 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 11:14:
I read Derek's article from top to bottom and I find that I do not disagree with him.

At the end of the day, this is a business decision and all business decisions are driven by "How much of X investment reaps the greatest profit? Y? Z? A? Whichever is greatest, that's what is chosen."

You realize that was the gist of my thread, right? So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

100. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 31, 2019, 10:18  dsmart 

Prez wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 10:04:
I knew it!

hehe. I have to admit, I was following the thread since the news posted. But since I had my own thread on Twitter, I was just reading this one without needed to comment. Then I saw the gag, and just HAD to oblige!

1092 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo