Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek Smart

Real Name Derek Smart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dsmart
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://thedereksmart.brandyourself.org
Signed On Feb 26, 2001, 14:53
Total Comments 1001 (Pro)
User ID 9141

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
38. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 15:42  dsmart 

Prez wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:21:
I don't give a crap about all the drama surrounding Star Citizen - I'm into gaming, not soap operas. That said, having read this article and the one Blue posted last week about the troubled development of SC thus far, I started thinking to myself about all the games with this kind of troubled development cycle that have come out since I've been a gamer. Personally I can't think of one that has been released and even came close to delivering on the original promise of the game. The closest one I can think of is Homefront, but that game was merely average and could have been so much better.

Not one. Not a single one. Ever.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
84. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 27, 2016, 14:29  dsmart 

I wasn't going to post, just observe. So I'm going to just leave this here because it's brilliant.

I said they haven't delivered $20M worth of product, on account of the fact that they haven't delivered anything. In fact the statements CIG has said thus far about the limited number of solar systems (less than 100 will be at release according to CR), drop-in drop-out co-op (no longer a feature), and private servers (literally the last thing they will ever do according to Jared) makes it difficult to see how the product we are getting at release is equivalent to what was originally promised, let alone this $125M masterpiece. I'm not a game developer so I can't be sure, but you would think that CIG would have made it perfectly clear exactly what people are getting for their money.

You know what I am? A backer who pays attention. I pay attention when CIG says a product like Squadron 42 is being released in November 2014, then Fall 2015, and now 2016. I pay attention when CIG says the Dogfighting Module is being released in December 2014, then being delayed until spring so they can fix the netcode, then revealed in a disastrous event that still takes two months before backers can play, then takes another month because the netcode isn't fixed. I pay attention when Star Marine is scheduled for Spring 2014, then Spring 2015, then "weeks, not months" during Summer 2015, then nothing until January 2016 when the founder bitches about how annoyed he is at people asking where Star Marine is, then nothing until Gamescom 2016 when magically Star Marine is showing up in the next patch. I pay attention when all of this happens while CIG says features originally promised in Kickstarter and stretch goals are delayed past released, yet somehow all of the delays are justified because they said they're delivering more. I pay attention when they deny refunds on the grounds that a "substantive portion of the game" has already delivered while at the same time they say if Star Citizen were under development by any other company it wouldn't even be called an alpha. I pay attention to all of this because CIG said that I was their publisher and that they would treat me with the same level of respect and honest communication.

Calling CIG out for failing to meet their own expectations is not armchair development. It's not undermining the developers. It's keeping them accountable.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
33. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 14:06  dsmart 

It still works. I just tend to lurk more because when I post about Star Citizen, everything just goes to shit - immediately.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
159. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 18:13  dsmart 

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 17:28:
Somehow, this went from the tiring "debate with factual authority about whether the game that's years out will be the best thing ever or a monstrous failure" to the even more tedious "let's join together and shit on the last green label name that still hangs out here."

Pretty much. And if you look at the thread, you will see that once they figured out that talking about Star Citizen was just going to flood the lolz filter, they switched gears to attacking me and my games; as if that's going to change anything.

And to make things even funnier, they don't even have any facts to relay, seeing as nothing they've posted has been based on facts, reality or even sensibilities.

Like I said: shit for brains

And these clowns still think that amid COD:IW, Titanfall2, Mass Effect:A, that SQ42 shit actually stands a chance. I mean seriously, just LOOK at the latest COD:IW mission play through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzUyxT4z2M

149. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 15:45  dsmart 

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 15:43:
NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:45:
dsmart wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 12:51:
Dacron wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 10:58:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 06:55:
You can no longer buy that heap of shit on steam. He abandoned it and replaced it with an isometric view android app version. Called "line of defense tactics" (reviewed just as poorly by the 19 people who bought it.). I can imagine that happened after steam briught in the refund policy, and with nearly every owner having less than 2 hours in they were basically all eligible.

derp

again Derek you show your lack of reading comprehension and falsehoods. In his post he states that you can no longer buy your POS game, where you then agree with him by saying that the game is CBT or whatever the fux you made up to say you're not selling it anymore, hence ... you can't buy the POS anymore ... also that you and your company replaced your POS game that was being refunded and smashed on the reviews with another POS game call ... Da Da Daaaaa .. LoD Tactics. I didn't read anywhere that was said both are no longer on Steam ... just you couldn't buy the first POS game, which is true ... and both games are being torn apart on reviews ... which again, is true. BTW , love the paid positive reviews, nice touch there ...

and again, sigh ... if I wanted to right now, this second as in right now, go to CIG pay my 49$ to download the SC client (right now as in today). I can play, you know launch a digital piece of software on my computer, and enjoy what little game play they offer at this moment but arguably far better than what you or your company currently offers or has offered in the past. You know the released version of SC that is you know, released .... I mean, wow, are you really that delusional or is this just an act to get more views on your only source of income, your blog?
CBT
When something sucks so bad that it's not even up to Steams Early Access standards, and early access has no standards, lolz.
Closed Test Group

Early Access -> CBT -> Release

CBT (Closed Beta Test) is the opposed of OBT (Open Beta Test). Companies used either one or both during development of a product. It's all very standard.

LOD was in Early Access in Sept 2014. It entered CBT April 2016.

144. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 14:46  dsmart 

NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:32:
Do you or your company openly sell, update, promote, bug fix LoD? No .. well hmmmm that might be taken as vapor ware or another term , abandoned ware ...

Did you or your company effectively replace your older title, LoD, with a newer game, LoD tactics and then begin to sell and promote said new title? Hmmm yes, so anther term is your replace your older sofeware with a newer title .... please Derek, keep posting to show more of your superb intellect / sarcasm

LOD changelog

LOD roadmap

LOD dev news

LOD dev news (Steam)

All updated like, THIS week (two builds released).

LOD Tactics (multi-platform: ios, android, pc, xboxone), developed, completed, released (XBoxOne version was released Dec 2015) is a spin-off title based on the LOD IP. Same as how my other games (Battlecruiser, Universal Combat) have different game types which share the same IP.

LOD Tactics does not replace LOD. They're completely different games. One is an RTS (Unity4), the only is an FPS (custom engine based on Havok tech) hybrid.

139. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 14:18  dsmart 

NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:45:
dsmart wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 12:51:
You can no longer buy that heap of shit on steam. He abandoned it and replaced it with an isometric view android app version. Called "line of defense tactics" (reviewed just as poorly by the 19 people who bought it.). I can imagine that happened after steam briught in the refund policy, and with nearly every owner having less than 2 hours in they were basically all eligible.

Nice try. You're an ignorant fool.

1) LOD Tactics and LOD are two different games

... or a released game. So, by all means, do carry on. The joke will forever remain on you lot.

again Derek you show your lack of reading comprehension and falsehoods. In his post he states that you can no longer buy your POS game, where you then agree with him by saying that the game is CBT or whatever the fux you made up to say you're not selling it anymore, hence ... you can't buy the POS anymore ... also that you and your company replaced your POS game that was being refunded and smashed on the reviews with another POS game call ... Da Da Daaaaa .. LoD Tactics. I didn't read anywhere that was said both are no longer on Steam ... just you couldn't buy the first POS game, which is true ... and both games are being torn apart on reviews ... which again, is true. BTW , love the paid positive reviews, nice touch there ...

and again, sigh ... if I wanted to right now, this second as in right now, go to CIG pay my 49$ to download the SC client (right now as in today). I can play, you know launch a digital piece of software on my computer, and enjoy what little game play they offer at this moment but arguably far better than what you or your company currently offers or has offered in the past. You know the released version of SC that is you know, released .... I mean, wow, are you really that delusional or is this just an act to get more views on your only source of income, your blog?

The joke's on you, because this is what he wrote, and which I responded to. I know that most of you guys have shit for brains, which explains the buying of JPEGs for a game that can never be done, but do try to keep up.

You can no longer buy that heap of shit on steam. He abandoned it and replaced it with an isometric view android app version

136. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 12:55  dsmart 

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 12:04:
Just a reminder for anyone not familiar with Derek Smart's quality alternative to Star Citizen: https://youtu.be/2Lw-cwIGuy0

Gotta love Jim Sterling

Oh, OK. Comparing an indie game to a $123 million train-wreck is always fun. Especially considering the THOUSANDS of YouTube videos which regularly show just how shit Star Citizen is after FIVE years and is nothing more than an CryEngine mod/tech demo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-3D3ojGZ2EC_Bk8MRgcFQ

135. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 12:51  dsmart 

To classify the drivel that you put out as 'games' is laughable. As in 'ha-ha'. Really, that's fucking hilarious. People that have had the misfortune to buy or play your games hate them - just check out the Steam reviews. Do the industry a favour and go away.

Just a reminder for anyone not familiar with Derek Smart's quality alternative to Star Citizen: https://youtu.be/2Lw-cwIGuy0

Nice try. You're an ignorant fool.

1) LOD Tactics and LOD are two different games

LOD Tactics

http://steamcommunity.com/app/267220/

LOD

http://steamcommunity.com/app/266620/

2) Both games are still on Steam

LOD Tactics is still for sale

LOD is in CBT (you can't buy it) http://lodgame.com/news/16-04-29-01/

REMINDER Attacking me and/or my games, isn't going to do ANYTHING to me; and certainly won't make Star Citizen any less of a scam, a good game, or a released game. So, by all means, do carry on. The joke will forever remain on you lot.

120. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 20:46  dsmart 

You guys are hilarious. Here's the thing, I'll still be beautiful in the morning; but Star Citizen - which is never coming out - will still be shit and a massive scam. And you all will still be salty.

Me? I just keep on making games.

112. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 16:24  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 16:07:
I stumbled on this video the other day. LoD is so solid that Derek completely dodges a guy who's streaming himself in game while talking live with Derek saying "Yes I could give you a tour, but unfortunately I have to go right now..." yet continues talking for another hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0fJ8IVyH8
7:40

He also tries to redfine the word "seamless" when confronted with the question of how he can claim his game is a seamless experience when there's load screens everywhere.

My point being, he's slimy too concerning his own games.

Keep in mind Derek used to threaten to sue other game developers all the time (simple Google search), and he criticizes pretty much every other space game including Elite Dangerous. He seems to have let up when he started going after the big fish. I think it's just so people following him currently see a better image then his past antic.

Not saying SC doesn't have issues, but for me that doesn't justify what Derek's doing. It also means I can't trust anything he posts, because at the least it's going to have a huge bias to how it's presented.

Yup, all false. Including the Google search which yields no such results.

Nice try.

111. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 16:21  dsmart 

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 13:26:

Chris Roberts could do nothing for the rest of his life and he's still contributed far more than derek smart.

citation needed. otherwise, that's just a patently baseless claim that has zero merit.

107. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 11:28  dsmart 

Bundy wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 21:26:
Well I've been in software development for about 20 yrs now so I know a thing or two. I wouldn't personally criticize any of Derek's work, I know from personal experience how difficult it is to make a production quality project. Especially when you're on a small team. On any of the indie projects I've been involved with in nearly every case the stumbling block is art assets.

We have a lot of engines available to us these days that handle plumbing and for the most part a programmers job is coding gameplay, interactions, that kind of thing. Unless you're getting into the nitty gritty you don't have to deal with the opengl stack anymore. But art assets will stop your game everytime. Even cheesy 16 bit'ish assets aren't brain dead easy.

So when people use texture fidelity as a complaint against his stuff, I sympathize. You need more artists than developers and they ain't cheap, believe me. I've yet to meet one who will work for free, but I have found one that works for free IT support

Anyway, some of his star citizen complaints do fall flat though. That's why I question his motives. He's chosen this game to take down amongst games that promised more, delivered less, costed more money, and took longer. While he has a competitive project to it too, it makes me raise an eyebrow. In one of his first SC rants he spent most of it talking about how Line of defense was better.

That said, I agree with the core of his stance. Roberts promised too much with too little and gave ridiculous deadlines. Like many of you, I put in a bit of money ($60), just out of the hope that he could pull it off. It's pretty clear now that he won't. It needs far too much time to get all the pieces working together, but mostly b/c they just have too much to build. 100 unique star systems? That's enormous. And I tried to make a 132 sq mile Wheel of Time mod for Oblivion, using towns accurate to the books. We finished the land mass, but once we realized how big our scope was, having to populate all those dozens of little towns, the project fell apart, team split it. He's not going to pull it off. At this point I'll settle for SQ42. It has the potential for a realistic scope at least. So there, I just said the core of everything Derek has been complaining about with SC. And I didn't need a hundred blog posts and twitter spamming to do it.

All valid points. However, some clarification is needed

1) The visual fidelity of my games have nothing to do with art talent, but all to do with the "visuals vs performance" trade-off. People who have followed/bought my games, know that I have never compromised on that. Which is why my in-depth games are still popular today. Right now, you can have more fun in Universal Combat, than you can in ED, depending on what it is you want to be doing. My games emphasis AI and gameplay, above all else. In fact, to date, they are STILL the only capital ship based space combat games in existence. There is a reason for that.

And LoD is no different. It has a specific art direction/style; and for a massive game, the trade-off still exists. To the extent that I wrote several blogs about it.

http://lodgame.com/15-10-27-state-of-play/
http://lodgame.com/15-09-04-state-of-play/
http://lodgame.com/15-07-31-state-of-play/
http://lodgame.com/in-pursuit-of-awesomeness/

When people try to compare LOD to Star Citizen, I chuckle because they have different art direction/style, budget, talent. Yet, LOD runs just fine on all the target systems. And even so, once we got the engine challenges (it's a massive multi-scene game), we started to do visual passes on art assets, still without going overboard and making the game unplayable. Sez so right there in the roadmap (which I follow religiously) http://lodgame.com/roadmap/

So by the time the game goes final in the coming months, the balance between visual fidelity and performance, would have been completed.

2) I haven't "chosen this game to take down". That's patently false, and is the narrative promoted by those who actually have no idea HOW I even got involved. This despite the fact that it's historically clear. Hence the reason that I wrote a TL;DR version about my involvement.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/star-citizen-how-i-got-involved/

94. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 7, 2016, 13:42  dsmart 

Bundy wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 11:55:
That is true. Right now with the 2.5 alpha you can already do everything in that gamescom demo except for the planetary landing.

That's patently false.

Besides the procgen planet, you also have a planet in the scene, and which you can target, landing on a planet, fps combat on a planet, driving on a planet, mission/quest giver, NPC dialog etc.

The whole thing was supposed to be a vertical slice, but which fell flat since it doesn't contain even 50% of what they promised for the game itself.

I have a list, but I'm on mobile atm so I don't have access to it. That Gamescom presentation was littered with R&D. And the only stuff in it - that's already in the game, are the fps and ship elements. Nothing else.

83. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 6, 2016, 20:47  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 19:34:
dsmart wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 17:15:

No, they do not. That's a well documented R&D build which, much like Star Marine and all the other crap (e.g. Nyx was over a year ago), was done specifically for Gamescom, is **NOT** part of the engine branch, and will **NEVER** see the light of day in this branch. At all.

So, to be clear, you're saying the planet landing we saw in this demo will never be available to the public?

If instead -all- you're saying is they used a non-public intended build with a lot of scripting specifically created for this demo, well that's generally a given these days with E3 like presentations. Half-Life 2 got caught pulling something along those lines, but we eventually got a good game with similar features.

I think that's fine as long as they do get something like it into the final game. Would be nice if they stated it's more a proof of concept, but w/e. Remember the old lady in the room during the Oblivion E3 demo ("bad dog")? That was a flat-out lie.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's not likely to ever be in the game.

And three weeks ahead of that presentation, the devs went on the record in an AtV stream and clarified that it was all R&D and may never make it into the game.

82. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 6, 2016, 20:45  dsmart 

A non-denial-denial is up

http://www.pcgamer.com/roberts-space-industries-denies-squadron-42-delay-report/

79. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 6, 2016, 12:49  dsmart 

Peeeling wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 11:40:
The thing is, if someone announced that they were going to make a game the size of (vanilla) WoW at the level of fidelity of Battlefield 1, and after this much time they had a few fragments of map and really janky, terrible movement and combat, with lengthy unskippable animations for clambering in and out of vehicles (which also have janky, terrible movement), and struggling to cope with even a handful of simultaneous players on a dedicated LAN, everyone would know where they stood.

Everyone would know that the animation budget is being misspent and the anim dev direction is all wrong. Everyone would know that the content being created simply cannot scale efficiently enough. Most people would understand that when you try to merge two concepts that can only be realised individually - by teams that are experts in those respective fields - via mutually exclusive tradeoffs, it ain't gonna happen.

This is because everyone knows what's important about WoW, and everyone knows what's important about BF1. But for some weird reason, hardly anyone seems to realise that being both of them is literally what SC is trying to do.

^this. Pretty much.

78. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 6, 2016, 12:48  dsmart 

Bundy wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 10:33:
Oh good, I have some entertainment at work today. What better way to spend a lazy rainy workday after a long weekend than a star citizen thread on blues with Derek Smart in attendance.

Then you're gonna love the latest scoop I just wrote up

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-4419

75. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 6, 2016, 09:48  dsmart 

Peeeling wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 09:30:
It's like a weird inversion of the emperor's new clothes, where everyone is so entranced by the clothes they don't notice there's no emperor.

LMAO!! I was drinking coffee when I read that.

71. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 5, 2016, 17:15  dsmart 

Comet wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 14:52:

The procedural generated planets is a good example.
You have often claimed that CIG would not be able to do it.
https://archive.is/Az3p2
http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2005

Well, they have it running in engine now.

No, they do not. That's a well documented R&D build which, much like Star Marine and all the other crap (e.g. Nyx was over a year ago), was done specifically for Gamescom, is **NOT** part of the engine branch, and will **NEVER** see the light of day in this branch. At all.

Start here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1bib

ps: go on believing. nothing wrong with that. But attacking people who don't buy into this bullshit, isn't going to a) make it better b) make it any less of a scam than it already is.

1001 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo