User information for bushboy

Real Name
bushboy
Nickname
bushboy
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Signed On
February 13, 2001
Supporter
-
Total Posts
5 (Suspect)
User ID
9010
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:
 
5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older
8.
 
Happy Birthday Doom !
Dec 10, 2003, 12:08
8.
Happy Birthday Doom ! Dec 10, 2003, 12:08
Dec 10, 2003, 12:08
 
Doom for a Decade !

Congrats to id Software for the past 10 years - you've entertained and inspired us all !

bb_matt

41.
 
Re-install win2k
Mar 2, 2003, 02:07
41.
Re-install win2k Mar 2, 2003, 02:07
Mar 2, 2003, 02:07
 
When I get to moments like this with my computers, I simply back everything up and re-install.

If you've installed all your most used programs and games on another drive aside from C: this is relatively easy - you simply backup your Fonts, Favorites, Email etc. from the C: drive, format it and re-install - making sure you've got all the copies of the drivers you need on another drive !

Your computer will have a new lease of life - although the operation can take you over 5 hours !

82.
 
Been burned before...
Jan 14, 2003, 04:00
82.
Been burned before... Jan 14, 2003, 04:00
Jan 14, 2003, 04:00
 
There's two types of people in this world.

The type who think everything Unreal rocks and the type that things everything id rocks.

I fall firmly into the latter.

Ok - we can make that 3 - those who like both.

I have no faith in this being a good game, because I've now been burned twice by Unreal tech.

The first was Unreal, which ran like absolute crap on my system, even though games like Quake and Quake2 ran brilliantly. I guess it was a video card thing, as I had a TNT when I first tried Unreal and it didn't much like the whole Direct3d thing at the time.

The second was UT2K, which wowed me with the demo, but totally dissapointed me with the lame final product that was nothing more than a Quake3 rip-off 4 years later - nice eyecandy and that's about it - total waste of money.
I tried it on my work LAN with about 5 people for a day.
The next day we were all back to our usual online fraggin - quake3 etc. and UT2K hasn't been touched since.

All my opinion of course - I do hope Unreal II is a brilliant game, but I have my doughts.

Roll on Doom3 and Quake IV !!

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 04:05.
103.
 
Audigy - EAX
Sep 15, 2002, 03:06
Audigy - EAX Sep 15, 2002, 03:06
Sep 15, 2002, 03:06
 
I've noticed one or two people saying that it's straining thier athlon / ti4600 systems - in the readme, it mentions the audigy and specifically EAX - change the sound to software and an athlon / ti4600 will handle fine.

They say in the readme that if you don't have the latest audigy drivers, this will cause a slowdown, but I've got the latest ones and I still get a slowdown using EAX - ?

86.
 
Will game dev companies support it ?
Oct 21, 2001, 02:58
86.
Will game dev companies support it ? Oct 21, 2001, 02:58
Oct 21, 2001, 02:58
 
The big question in all this is not whether Linux is capable of running games with the same performance as windows, but whether the game dev companies will actually create a linux port of thier game/s in the first place.

There's some big factors in this, most of them revolving around money - development costs, distribution figures etc.

Put it this way, if your intended target base is known to be 95% windows, why the heck expend extra time (and thus cost) for the other 5% ?

While Wine is a solution, it's not the right direction to take unless the performance and stability matches the performance and stablity of the game on it's native platform, which I dought is possible.

Also, if Wine becomes relatively successfull, all the more reason for game developers not to make a native linux version of thier game/s.

id software made a brave move with Quake3, releasing for 3 seperate platforms, but as far as I know, the much anticipated RTCW will not be available in Linux flavour in stores - sure, a binary will be released, but that's hardly the point as what that says to game development companies is that making ports for Linux is not profitable.

I'd like to see Linux succeed as a gaming platform, but not at the expense of it's main strength - the server market.

For Linux to succeed as a gaming platform, it first has to gain wider acceptance as a desktop platform, something analysts are not predicting will happen any time soon.

5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older