Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for fh

Real Name fh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nimh
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 17, 2001, 00:28
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 8716

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 6, 2019, 09:21 Nimh

Red886 wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 07:31:
still remember people being pissed off when i said on another board years ago that the internet as we know it, is pretty much owned by a bunch of lefties, whom can censor the internet with ease.

This is a decidedly conservative idea. Identical to having the right not to bake a cake for a gay couple.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2019, 07:32 Nimh

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 06:58:
Nimh wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 21:00:
Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 13:45:
So will Amazon fine itself? I get a box one time from Amazon, could have fitted like a 50" TV. In fact, my wife and I bought thought it was a TV, and she said "I didn't know you'd ordered a TV?"

It was a surprise to me as well.

Turns out it contained the sound bar I had ordered. The sound bar fit in the box height wise, so it left approximately 90% of the entire box unfilled. WTF, Amazon?

(I don't blame the poor peon who packaged it, they get to watch their family being tortured if they dare fall behind the 9250 packages an hour "Proper Packing Rate" or whatever bullshit they call it, but it's ludicrous that something gets shipped like that. The sound bar's own box offered way more protection than that empty one did.)

Amazon has a computer select the box, the peon just puts it in the allocated box with some packing material. Itís based on product size and truck pack. If the truck leaving has some extra space the algorithm will upsize boxes so they donít slide around.

That's HALF True... typically it's still left to the employee. Creston was the rest of the box filled with the airbags?
There are times you just get odd shaped packages that will only fit in a certain box. Normally if it doesn't fit X box they will send it in the original packaging if possible. You should see rugs going on a Oversized or Big Box Truck.

Thanks for the clarification.. I didn't know if the algorithm box selection was consider law, or if the worker has some discretion with it. You still working there?

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 21:00 Nimh

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 13:45:
So will Amazon fine itself? I get a box one time from Amazon, could have fitted like a 50" TV. In fact, my wife and I bought thought it was a TV, and she said "I didn't know you'd ordered a TV?"

It was a surprise to me as well.

Turns out it contained the sound bar I had ordered. The sound bar fit in the box height wise, so it left approximately 90% of the entire box unfilled. WTF, Amazon?

(I don't blame the poor peon who packaged it, they get to watch their family being tortured if they dare fall behind the 9250 packages an hour "Proper Packing Rate" or whatever bullshit they call it, but it's ludicrous that something gets shipped like that. The sound bar's own box offered way more protection than that empty one did.)

Amazon has a computer select the box, the peon just puts it in the allocated box with some packing material. Itís based on product size and truck pack. If the truck leaving has some extra space the algorithm will upsize boxes so they donít slide around.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 1, 2019, 20:53 Nimh

Oh great.. AI ads are all going to be clickbait. Norelco slams facial hair! You wouldnít believe what Colgate is used for..  

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity

47. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Aug 1, 2019, 06:44 Nimh

MeanJim wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 21:00:
Here's a crazy idea: Release your game on all stores, and let people chose where to buy it. Raise the price on other stores that take a bigger cut to make up for the difference in what EGS takes. It's a win for everyone, consumers get to chose where to buy the game and the dev/pub gets the same profit, more probably since it would be available and getting exposure on more store fronts.

Epic has no interest in non-exclusive new releases.

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

1. Re: Evening Multiplex Aug 1, 2019, 06:34 Nimh

Really enjoy watching the Noclip Hitman pieces. I kinda tuned out the series after Absolution. The game just felt off to me.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 30, 2019, 11:08 Nimh

Missed the chance to call it AT&TV.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2019, 06:39 Nimh

TL:DR.. Benefits of walking plateaued at 7500 steps.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2019, 18:22 Nimh

Not arranging hospice care after a doctorís recommendation is heartless cruelty. There is no dignity in death. Hospice care is a small step to ease the final days of a loved ones life.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review Roundup

3. Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review Roundup Jul 25, 2019, 12:03 Nimh

Was anyone really surprised that this was phoned in?  

News Comments > Tetris Effect in Full Effect

8. Re: Tetris Effect in Full Effect Jul 24, 2019, 06:31 Nimh

Kxmode wrote on Jul 23, 2019, 20:42:
EGS Exclusive Golfclap

EGS exclusive that requires Steam for the VR integration.. The punchline writes itself.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 13:56 Nimh

Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 12:07:
I don't know how much responsibility Youtube has in this. It's not like they're responsible for people being stupid. And unfortunately there's no law against pandering to them. If there was we'd be free of the Kardashians, "Reality" TV, etc.

Youtube's primary goal (as defined by Youtube) is retaining and increasing site views. The "up next" algorithm is painstakingly crafted to meet that end. It pushes click-bait, controversy, You wouldn't believe..., anything internet rubbernecking related.

In the real world conspiracy stories go die on a tabloid shelf somewhere. In the digital world this stuff is content gold for social media companies trying to attract attention.

News Comments > Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Next Month on EGS

9. Re: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Next Month on EGS Jul 18, 2019, 13:43 Nimh

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 12:42:
How many of you actually installed Epic Games Store?

I had it for Fortnite when that was starting up, but deleted it a few months after. Deleting my EGS account took a week and was a PITA.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2019, 18:37 Nimh

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 17:27:
Nimh wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 12:13:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 11:01:
That article about quitting coffee is pure garbage. 2 weeks? BIG DEAL!

I quit caffeine cold turkey 10 years ago and it had a dramatic effect on my sleep habits and all around wakefulness throughout the day. Sleep better, need less sleep, don't crash throughout the day.

But.. I had to go through 4 weeks of migraines by quitting it cold turkey (I don't get migraines).

I stopped drinking caffeine about 6 months ago. I really miss the taste and ritual of it, but my sleep and energy levels have been much more stable.

Funny that your avatar pic appears to be some creature holding a cup of coffee.

Ha, yeah I suppose it does look like holding a cup. Itís from a painting that was done from the Secret of NIMH film. https://youtu.be/GMcnZ7ykJ6A?t=2m5s

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2019, 12:13 Nimh

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 11:01:
That article about quitting coffee is pure garbage. 2 weeks? BIG DEAL!

I quit caffeine cold turkey 10 years ago and it had a dramatic effect on my sleep habits and all around wakefulness throughout the day. Sleep better, need less sleep, don't crash throughout the day.

But.. I had to go through 4 weeks of migraines by quitting it cold turkey (I don't get migraines).

I stopped drinking caffeine about 6 months ago. I really miss the taste and ritual of it, but my sleep and energy levels have been much more stable.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 17, 2019, 06:26 Nimh

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 03:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 20:58:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 20:49:
That's a lot of phone for the price.
better phone, bigger screen, larger battery, more cpu, lower price mine did come with 32 gb though.
That nokia will really retail for about $89 or less is my guess.

Only two stars? Someone is hatin' on ur phone. You should write a review!

Judging by his love affair with the Epic Store those 2 stars are probably accurate.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2019, 10:58 Nimh

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 16:23:
Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:45:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:23:
Thanks for all the advice, gents!

Check out AMD's Freesync List. You can filter the hell out of it for what you want specifcally. Really handy tool. Shows lots of great VA monitors 30"plus for a lot cheaper than the ones you linked.

Appreciate it, but I don't have an AMD card, so Freesync doesn't do me much good?

Nvidia supports freesync now as 1badmf mentioned, some monitors better than others, so verify before you buy.

I picked up a Benq EX3501R a few months ago. It's been perfect for my needs and light gaming. I have a dual monitor setup at work and I'll probably never choose that again if an ultrawide is available as an option. Freesync has worked perfectly so far with my GTX 1080.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2019, 11:21 Nimh

Simon Says wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 14:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 13:35:
To test the chipset you measure consumption at the wall.

Isn't the x570 chipset rated at 15 watts, hence the need for a fan

Der8auer measured it under different loads... https://youtu.be/qk3PD-4zPN0?t=841

He even removed the fan + crappy heatsink and went full passive by installing a very basic heatsink. He doesn't understand why they went with active cooling.

Great video, thanks. The mystery deepens.

News Comments > Into the Black

6. Re: Into the Black Jul 10, 2019, 08:11 Nimh

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 02:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 20:15:
Say what you will about Ross, but when he said he'd fund his own campaign he actually did, unlike out current bloviating buffoon.

Perot was a stand-up guy, no doubt.

As to whether he'd make a great prez, who knows. Being a CEO in charge of all aspects of a business is a totally different skill set from being president where separation of powers requires compromise and deal-making.

Not to mention the tiny little detail that a successful business is operated with efficiency, while good governance is measured in it's effectiveness.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2019, 11:43 Nimh

Interesting piece on the X570 boards. Techpowerup posted some benchmarks saying there was no appreciable difference between X470 and X570 running a Ryzen 3000 CPU. Which makes you wonder where all that power is going? (PCIe 4?)  

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >