Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for fh

Real Name fh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nimh
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 17, 2001, 00:28
Total Comments 759 (Graduate)
User ID 8716

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2018, 20:02 Nimh

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 19:50:
Maybe the New England Patriots will finally win a Super Bowl.

Not hard when you have 18 players on the field for any given play.

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month

4. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month Jan 12, 2018, 14:27 Nimh

Has this game been flushed out? The beta was good but after a 20-30 hours you pretty much saw or did all that there was to be done. Still p2p instances for everything?  

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 9, 2018, 11:41 Nimh

Apparently this update can be blocked for the moment.

block update
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

unblock update
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 9, 2018, 11:02 Nimh

No pre-Sandy Bridge Xeon chips, but Bloomfield is mentioned on the next page? Not sure that's right.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 9, 2018, 06:29 Nimh

Microsoft removed the ability to select which updates to install, this is 100% on them and their poor planning.  

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed

10. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 12:55 Nimh

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:49:
yonder wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:44:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:13:
Big Fucking Gaming Display.

I don't imagine too many people have a PC setup where a 65 inch screen is all that useful...

That where you're wrong friend, I play on my 70" TV and have been waiting for something like this.

And since you are the "many people" he refers to...
I doubt Nvidia invested in the R&D for just one person. My guess is there are quite a few who game on bigger screens.

The first generation of PC gamer is aging.. dot pitch and high resolution are probably becoming secondary concerns to overall size and legibility. My 80 year old father is now using a 32 inch TV for a computer monitor. It looks like ass but he's happy, so whatever.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2018, 12:11 Nimh

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 11:10:
Pretty funny/shitty how the Meltdown bug was exposed right before CES for Intel. Might be a tough crowd.

Coupled with the ridiculous Ryzen price drop. Interesting times indeed.

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed

3. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 11:59 Nimh

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 11:31:
I'll stick with my OLED for now. It's really nice but lacks a tuner and the only real upgrade for me would be variable sync which will be cheaper when HDMI 2.1 finally goes mainstream.

Ooooo... I've been waiting for an OLED gaming monitor. Whatcha using?

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2018, 09:54 Nimh

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 01:08:
Nimh wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 15:19:
Intel gets to nerf older CPU's up to 30%.. I wonder how much they paid Google (exploit founder) and Microsoft (exploit patcher) for that honor? All of this after everyone shrugged off the "Windows 10 will not support older CPU's" crap from last year.

I bet this is just the beginning of 'security patches' with side effects intended to kill off older product lines. Dovetails nicely with Apple's 10.2.1 cpu throttling.

Uh, a Phenom II on windows XP is affected as well? So what is your point here? In fact all CPU's are affected by the speed reduction from the patches. Even the ones not affected by the 2 bugs (which is NONE) AMD cpu's are always affected by at least 1 bug, Intel by both, completely, ARM by both, completely.

Now if you think this is over think again, any connected device ever made has an ARM cpu that is now easily haxable. And you won't get fancy updates for your intelligent toothbrush et. al.

Any CPU, from all makes, produced since 2005 is affected. And this isn't a bug, this is literally a performance feature gone bad. And they all use them. AMD with their latest server CPU's is even affected by both bugs as well. Because that is a needed feature to catch up to Intels superior IPC

No, I get it. You are right with regard to Spectre.

A 30% performance hit is going to hurt, and it doesn't help that newer CPU's basically see no impact, but older and mid-market CPU's easily are hit for 10% or more (based on the initial benchmarks that are out now). I disabled OS updates last night and will wait until I see the Westmere numbers and patch if it's under 10%, if it's over I will not for the time being. I can't afford to basically lose the machine on my bigger projects. I will just take it offline and use sneakernet I guess.

I don't really care if my toothbrush is effected or not. I don't enter personal information or passwords into it.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2018, 15:19 Nimh

Intel gets to nerf older CPU's up to 30%.. I wonder how much they paid Google (exploit founder) and Microsoft (exploit patcher) for that honor? All of this after everyone shrugged off the "Windows 10 will not support older CPU's" crap from last year.

I bet this is just the beginning of 'security patches' with side effects intended to kill off older product lines. Dovetails nicely with Apple's 10.2.1 cpu throttling.

News Comments > Mad Catz is Back

2. Re: Mad Catz is Back Jan 4, 2018, 12:42 Nimh

Mad Catz will focus first on quality...

Is it April 1st already?

News Comments > Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex

6. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 11:51 Nimh

For me Mankind Divided was the best one since the original. The story/characters being the weak spot as others have said. I'm glad they are not completely abandoning it.  

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire

42. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 15:37 Nimh

On the plus side, if loot box revenue goes away, Valve might actually need to make games again.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 9, 2017, 10:43 Nimh

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 12:47:
You can opt out of it fairly easily, actually. Don't use Facebook.

Read much?

Facebook's shadow profiles are involuntary and there's no opt-out. Facebook has shadow profiles on people who don't use the service. For example, even though I'm not a Facebook user, multiple people have uploaded their address books containing my email and phone number to the system, allowing Facebook to create a profile of my contacts by looking at who lists me as a contact.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 26, 2017, 11:16 Nimh

The Gambling Commission has strong powers to regulate gambling and is monitoring convergence between gambling and video games closely.

It's about time, thanks for this. Look forward to this in North America soon.

EDIT: Upon more reading.. we still have a long way to go. Valve, et al, are threading a needle to stay off the radar of certain regulators. Bizarre that money in your Steam wallet is not considered something of 'legal value', only so much as it can't be redeemed for real-world cash. They're more than happy to take your money for a chance to win.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2017, 11:46.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 13:04 Nimh

68.F in Quebec right now.. nothing below freezing in the forecast, and no killing frost yet either. Not to mention the leaves are still turning. Quite bizarre for this latitude.  

News Comments > Op Ed

3. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 10:37 Nimh

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 10:27:
....this seems odd. I don't know of anyone that doesn't understand that Loot Boxes are a form of gambling.

And most states/countries, since gambling is often either straight up illegal or heavily regulated.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2017, 11:40 Nimh

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 11:06:
Thanks Twitter.

Twitters briefing to the Senate intelligence committee Sept. 28 infuriated its ranking Democrat, Sen. Mark Warner, who said the company failed to grasp the seriousness of the congressional investigation

Lol. They grasp it just fine, Senate critter. They just don't give a shit, because for all your grandstanding, you never DO anything to companies that flatout tell you to go fuck yourself.

Click bait and outrage journalism is one of the core principles of user experience and retention. Don't expect Silicon Valley to give up that golden goose anytime soon.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 07:15 Nimh

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 04:03:
Pixel might have been a decent choice if it hadn't been for the lack of a headphone jack. Silicon Valley's apparent disconnect from the reality of a good portion of the rest of the world is starkly evident through choices like this.

Google/Facebook/Apple/Microsoft.. the 21st century robber barons.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2017, 13:48 Nimh

F*** everything Autodesk. They slice up all their products into nitches, lock down the format, and then insure that no other product overlaps features and/or exports to a different product. You want a new something in product X? Sorry, you need to purchase product Y.  

759 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >