Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for fh

Real Name fh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nimh
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 17, 2001, 00:28
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 8716

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

18. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 19, 2019, 11:32 Nimh

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 11:01:
B) Liberal democracy is in trouble, and rightfully so, because it goes too far and by ignoring the wants and needs of the silent majority. Most people are fed up with it. I'd say it's all little more than course correction back to a more center balance. If you try and govern solely from the left or right, you're going to end up in trouble. It's always about Goldilocks. Finding that sweet spot somewhere in between where maybe everyone doesn't get what they want and need but they get enough to keep them at least content, if not happy.

In one breath.. "democracy is in trouble", in the next "ignoring the wants and needs of the silent majority", (a core democratic principle). Once your democratic institutions are gone, you will not have to worry about having choices. Go to China, North Korea or Russia to get a sneak peak of what that looks like.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

14. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 19, 2019, 06:49 Nimh

Jivaro wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 21:25:
Honestly, as partisan as the voting was I am not really moved much by the impeachment. He isn't going to get removed by a GOP Senate unless he does something really stupid that puts clear evidence right in front of the voters so that GOP senators can't vote to protect him without risking their jobs. Considering all of the fairly dumb things he has done in this process to hurt himself it isn't impossible, but if I am being honest....I still think he wins the election, let alone pass this impeachment trial in the Senate. I have zero faith that the federal governement has done anything that will keep our elections from being meddled with, the Dems can't seem to find leaders people want to follow, and Trump already won once. I think he is unfit for office, and I will vote against him, but I can't shake the feeling that it really doesn't matter.

One might say the system is rigged and not be far off. From an anthropological standpoint the worldwide shift toward authoritarian models has met little resistance to date and will likely continue. Crazy times we live in.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 17, 2019, 09:41 Nimh

His earnings are the exception not the rule. And no doubt he is heavily involved in the editing. That shit is no picnic.

We've banned the Youtube app and accounts in our house. It can be watched in a browser with an adult around. Anyone that leaves a child alone with Youtube needs to have their head examined.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

8. Re: Morning Teeth Briefs Dec 14, 2019, 16:37 Nimh

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 14:49:
Oh yeah - now that you have an implant you will have to be very serious about your oral hygiene. Floss every day, or maybe even use a Waterpik! Try to extend the life of your implants as long as possible. My goal is to keep up the routine to get 10 years out of mine, instead of the usual 5 years. 90% chance it will last that long supposedly, but that's not good enough for me.

My wife has the same issues and says the facilities are pretty advanced. We are in Montreal. Certainly comparable with her previous oral surgeon in New York City. For what it's worth.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 12, 2019, 20:50 Nimh

I canít help but think the data revolution is just the mass manipulation of human nature, whether by Facebook algorithms or mall robot behaviors. Good for those kids, the parent should join in.  

News Comments > Morning Patches

1. Re: Morning Patches Dec 12, 2019, 11:16 Nimh

I think that's what all of us wanted to be honest, just a reskin of TFC. Will check this out, thanks.

Edit: Download link goes to a discord channel with nothing on it.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2019, 17:40.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 12:32 Nimh

Sean Payton gets a year suspension, 750k in fines. Patriots lose a draft pick and get a slap on the wrist. Why wouldn't you cheat again? How many other roaches are in the walls in New England?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2019, 11:06 Nimh

Not only that.. they used the Titan SKU. Techradar is awful.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 5, 2019, 08:30 Nimh

Iphone core services can use location, this is so you can find your iphone (via. icloud or another device) or remotely disable it. All apps can have location access toggled off.  

News Comments > NVIDIA on Framerates in Competitive Gaming

6. Re: NVIDIA on Framerates in Competitive Gaming Dec 4, 2019, 09:16 Nimh

Right after gimping pascal cards, great timing Nvidia!  

News Comments > Thanksgiving Day Legal Briefs

1. Re: Thanksgiving Day Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2019, 07:14 Nimh

Well there goes half the products on Amazon.  

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 28, 2019, 21:03 Nimh

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 19:14:
the game ran perfect for me since launch, and i had maybe 1 crash getting through 50% of the game, but the most recent patch changed all that for me and there are numerous issues now. I wish they didnt force people to patch single player games like this.. everything was running so smoothly for me before.

I know this was not the norm for most people running the game, but it was rock solid on my system and its been a bit disappointing getting it forcibly downgraded like this so soon. its cheapened the single player experience with some of the physics bugs that have been introduced which kind of sucks because rdr2 single player is all ive been playing.

Try deleting all the files where your system.xml file is located (donít delete system.xml). This should rebuild the cache properly.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week

25. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Gallops onto Steam Next Week Nov 28, 2019, 10:46 Nimh

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 23:37:
are the performance issues addressed yet?

Yes and no.. there have been 3 big patches so far, which addressed game crashing and the like. But if you have a marginal system it's going to struggle with the game no matter what. A couple sites benchmarked the individual settings, you'll want to start with those. If you go in and do ultra/high settings blindly it's going to result in poorer performance than what you may be used to.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2019, 14:31 Nimh

Happy birthday! Don't forget your AARP card if you're going out tonight.  

News Comments > Google Stadia Launch Lineup Expands

7. Re: Google Stadia Launch Lineup Expands Nov 18, 2019, 12:42 Nimh

How long is Google running Stadia? 1 or 2 years you guys think?  

News Comments > Game Reviews

2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 14, 2019, 14:02 Nimh

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 14, 2019, 12:11:
Garbage analysis. "Only play the game at 4k with current gen hardware"... so I can play at 4k with a 2060 card, but not a 1080ti? They didn't even test with a 1080ti. Thanks for an absolutely useless comparison.

1080ti actually benches below the GTX 2060 in this game, similar to Modern Warfare. Yeah, agreed.. kinda messed up.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 13:41 Nimh

A deep thanks to those that defended, and those that continue to defend, democracy. More poignant that ever these days.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 8, 2019, 10:31 Nimh

SirKnight wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 22:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 20:23:
Not kidding, whenever I read the words "youtube" and "redesign" in a news post I am getting REALLY scared. Not a single re-design youtube did in the past 10 years was ever an improvement, dark mode excluded.

Yep, they have an excellent track record of boning things up real good.

News flash.. Google redesigns are for Google's benefit (increased retention, ad views), not the user.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 10:43 Nimh

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:34:
The only thing overclocking results show is that chip makers are shipping chips with no extra free speed. They could have done the same with the 300a Celeron and it would have been a 450 instead.

I think the days of overclocking as a means of truly tremendous speed gains is long over*. We're not really CPU bound any more. If anything, what we need is tremendous improvements in mulithreading. What's the point of a 4.5Ghz+ 8 core processor when 7 of the cores are sitting idle or near idle? Rust, as a language, shows that it doesn't have to be as brutally painful and pyrrhic as C is.

*Cue the "I gots 10 more FPS by overclocking" crowers.

Nothing really to crow about, but overclocking keeps my x58, from 2008, mostly relevant in 2019. (with a little help from a Xeon processor and USB 3.0 PCI-E card) Bonus feature is that I can run BOINC in the winter and heat half our apartment.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 14:04 Nimh

There's a white frame on all sides of the page with Tor 9.0.1. It scales differently depending on the window size. For what it's worth.

Nevermind.. it was on my end.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2019, 14:54.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >