Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for fh

Real Name fh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nimh
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On January 17, 2001
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 835 (Graduate)
User ID 8716

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 14:43  Nimh 

I started intermittent fasting 5 weeks ago. The first week or two was a wild and hateful ride. But after that period, it’s been smooth sailing. It’s remarkable that you can operate with 1000 calories a day with not many repercussions (this number will change when cycling season starts up). But 15 pounds down so far, tons of energy, and just generally feel better.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus

43. Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 14:23  Nimh 

Prez wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 13:19:
I think the level of fear that this has generated is not proportional to the actual threat. It just seems everyone is grossly overreacting. I shudder to think of the mass hysteria that would occur if a virus that was actually a real global, high-lethality viral threat were to come along.

Cue the inevitable "Prez wants old people to die!" comments.

Perhaps, but it does have the potential of being quite bad. The 2% mortality figure (20x greater than the standard flu) is based on active medical intervention. Those requiring hospitalization is in the 15% to 20% range. So the goal is delaying it as much as possible to prevent hospital over-run in any one area at any given time.

For people in America this could potentially be a perfect storm. For-profit healthcare that is priced above the reach of the uninsured or those with budget insurance. The inability to quarantine due to a host of budgetary reasons, coupled with a fed that won’t provide assistance to those in need. And the virulence, longevity, and asymptomatic nature of the virus. This, in a lot of ways, is worse than the conditions in 1918.

Luckily progress is being made on treating and screening. The drive-through clinics in South Korea are a genius idea. I just suspect that this is not how it’s going to go in the US. I heard a quote last week regarding people in the current administration.. “Even if they wanted to do the right thing, they just don’t have the bandwidth”.

I hope this is all wrong and that something changes for the better.

General Discussion > Status of responsive conversion

10. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 27, 2020, 07:52  Nimh 

Frans wrote on Feb 27, 2020, 07:41:
Nimh wrote on Feb 26, 2020, 08:35:
Great work Frans, good update. A couple items maybe for the future.
Thanks.

"Yes, but hide tier" does not seem to work under Site Settings. EDIT:
It works but.. show tier will display as silver, hide tier changes it to bronze.

Hide tier use the generic Patreon color (with a red hue, #E85B46), bronze has a brown hue (#A46628). Silver is #C0C0C0 and gold #D4AF37. Now you should feel enlightened.

Would it be possible to add the "support the site" banner to "keep ads" no display setting? (i.e. hide it)
The Keep Ads setting is related to the future ad-free layout and has not yet been implemented. Once that's done, the entire third column with ads (in desktop layout) will be removed for Supporters, unless Keep Ads is set to yes. Does that answer your question?

Is it also possible to add the thread view setting to one's account? (The threaded, flat newest first, flat oldest first option)
Yes, technically that's possible.
Oh? What...? You want me to... implement it? That's... shocking.

Haha. Yeah, it can be a down the road feature, 2 weeks if needed.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2020, 12:01  Nimh 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 20:18:
Simon Says wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 19:53:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 14:18:
Nimh wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 11:49:
Interesting move by Firefox. It's a bit of a "privacy with asterisk" however since you're replacing ISP collection with Cloudflare collections. OpenNIC would ultimately be a more secure DNS source I think, if you have access to a reliable and quick resolver.

The issue is that OpenNIC doesn't support DoH. Only CloudFlare and Google do at this time.

But isn't Cloudflare a US corp? As a US corp, it's under five eyes and the anti-constitutional laws inherent to that status. If they get asked info, they're forced by those "illegal laws" to hand over the info.

I'd trust them more if they weren't forced to do so. If they were based outside that system. It's still not optimal.

So is Google...so are many of OpenNIC's "volunteer" servers. Best bet is to combine it with a no-log VPN if you're worried someone is going to subpoena your DNS queries.

You can select a "no logs kept" OpenNIC server, but yeah, you're right on the encryption not being end to end.

8. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 26, 2020, 08:35  Nimh 

Great work Frans, good update. A couple items maybe for the future.

"Yes, but hide tier" does not seem to work under Site Settings. EDIT:
It works but.. show tier will display as silver, hide tier changes it to bronze.

Would it be possible to add the "support the site" banner to "keep ads" no display setting? (i.e. hide it)

Is it also possible to add the thread view setting to one's account? (The threaded, flat newest first, flat oldest first option)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2020, 11:49  Nimh 

Interesting move by Firefox. It's a bit of a "privacy with asterisk" however since you're replacing ISP collection with Cloudflare collections. OpenNIC would ultimately be a more secure DNS source I think, if you have access to a reliable and quick resolver.  

News Comments > Into the Black

10. Re: Into the Black Feb 25, 2020, 11:29  Nimh 

and it's glorious!  

News Comments > Into the Black

8. Re: Into the Black Feb 25, 2020, 10:09  Nimh 

And the block list works without posting a comment first!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

2. Best free antivirus 2020- Keep your PC safe without spending a dime. Feb 20, 2020, 14:40  Nimh 

In the era of big data it's probably safe to say that free antivirus products should not be used.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week

4. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 12:11  Nimh 

WannaLogAlready wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 11:32:
Go Larian, go, you can do it the justice it deserves !!

Couldn't think of a better studio for this, apart from CD Projekt RED.

Right on!

News Comments > No Man's Sky Living Ship Released

2. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 12:08  Nimh 

Living carriers coming next? So we can all worship his divine shadow..  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2020, 12:53  Nimh 

ldonyo wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 12:43:
Nimh wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 12:07:
Not the first time, and certainly not the last. AMD just can't get it right with their video cards.
AMD does just fine. ASUS, on the other hand, tends to have issues. I 've had motherboards and video cards of theirs both go belly up inside six months. No OC, no extreme temps, no extreme use, just plain died. They are one of the hardest manufacturers to deal with in these cases, in my experience, and one of the slowest to turn a warranty replacement around.

If by fine you mean black screens, stuttering, downclocking, etc. then yes, you are correct, AMD is fine. Kidding aside, if you're not on the computer all the time, then you probably won't run into most of the reported problems with Navi. They certainly are more budget friendly.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2020, 12:07  Nimh 

Not the first time, and certainly not the last. AMD just can't get it right with their video cards.  

6. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 13, 2020, 09:30  Nimh 

I can log in, but it's not applying the block list for me. Also under the User Admin page, when I click "Manage Ignored Users" it pauses for several seconds and then reloads the User Admin page.

Edit: If I post a comment and select "remember me" the block list is accessible and operates properly. (re-read your the original post.. in-process)

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2020, 09:54.

4. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 12, 2020, 20:11  Nimh 

Excellent! Thanks. I always thought that was a topic header and not a link. Works perfectly.  

2. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 12, 2020, 15:36  Nimh 

Is the only way to the User Settings page via. Account Options button in a comment section? (Would be nice to log on before viewing comments if possible.)  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 4, 2020, 06:46  Nimh 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 21:06:
Ah yes, Microsoft and QA, forever apart it seems.

Well since 2014. About when Agile was adopted and they shit canned their QA.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Feb 3, 2020, 07:38  Nimh 

It's not so much about the antenna arrangement. It's like multimedia "gamer" keyboards all over again.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Feb 2, 2020, 15:29  Nimh 

Why do high end routers all look like Klingon dinner plates? Not only do you need to buy the router; you need to buy a cabinet to hide it in.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 15:07  Nimh 

Not really an Andy Reed fan after is last couple years in Philly, so go 49er's? Let's just hope it's an interesting game, how bout that.  

835 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >