Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for fh

Real Name fh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nimh
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 17, 2001, 00:28
Total Comments 750 (Graduate)
User ID 8716

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2019, 13:41 Nimh

A deep thanks to those that defended, and those that continue to defend, democracy. More poignant that ever these days.  

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 8, 2019, 10:31 Nimh

SirKnight wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 22:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 20:23:
Not kidding, whenever I read the words "youtube" and "redesign" in a news post I am getting REALLY scared. Not a single re-design youtube did in the past 10 years was ever an improvement, dark mode excluded.

Yep, they have an excellent track record of boning things up real good.

News flash.. Google redesigns are for Google's benefit (increased retention, ad views), not the user.

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 10:43 Nimh

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:34:
The only thing overclocking results show is that chip makers are shipping chips with no extra free speed. They could have done the same with the 300a Celeron and it would have been a 450 instead.

I think the days of overclocking as a means of truly tremendous speed gains is long over*. We're not really CPU bound any more. If anything, what we need is tremendous improvements in mulithreading. What's the point of a 4.5Ghz+ 8 core processor when 7 of the cores are sitting idle or near idle? Rust, as a language, shows that it doesn't have to be as brutally painful and pyrrhic as C is.

*Cue the "I gots 10 more FPS by overclocking" crowers.

Nothing really to crow about, but overclocking keeps my x58, from 2008, mostly relevant in 2019. (with a little help from a Xeon processor and USB 3.0 PCI-E card) Bonus feature is that I can run BOINC in the winter and heat half our apartment.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 14:04 Nimh

There's a white frame on all sides of the page with Tor 9.0.1. It scales differently depending on the window size. For what it's worth.

Nevermind.. it was on my end.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2019, 14:54.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC

42. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC Nov 5, 2019, 18:48 Nimh

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 17:30:
Oh boy.. 112GB

Can.. can I get this on discs for PC somewhere?

Only way I could realistically download something that size is via torrents.

I downloaded 50Gb of the pre-load last week and closed the launcher. When I opened it today it decrypted the 50Gb and then started downloading the rest. For what it's worth.

natx wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 18:02:
what kind of performance is to be expected at 4k on a 1080ti? i5-8600k @ 4.6.
27 FPS according to the Guru3D benches(GPU limited).

34. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC Nov 5, 2019, 16:26 Nimh

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 16:17:
Apparently some people with i5s are having a lot of issues with freezing and stuttering. It was good of Rockstar to not bother testing with such an unpopular CPU

I'm having smooth butter performance at 1440p with a 1080ti and a 3900X, huge upgrade from the console experience.

The Guru3D early benchmark shows a RTX2060 with faster performance than the 1080ti?!? Makes you wonder if anyone was in the room when Nvidia was "optimizing" the code.

23. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC Nov 5, 2019, 14:10 Nimh

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 14:04:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 13:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 13:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 12:39:
Leper wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 12:16:
At some point it will become prohibitively expensive to keep paying for exclusives and then we should finally see more competition on price and features.

How will we see "competition on price" when it has always been and will always be the publishers who determine the prices on the stores?

Maybe they could take lessons from those black magic wizards over at GMG?
GMG has nothing to do with either of those points... GMG doesn't anything but distribute keys for other digital distribution platforms.

But if the publisher "always sets the price," what kind of voodoo do they do to sell it for less than $60?

Grey market most likely. Buying in lower cost regions, credit card fraud, or a combination of the two.

15. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC Nov 5, 2019, 12:56 Nimh

You get a better package deal if you buy it directly from the Rockstar store. EGS not required.  

News Comments > Get Costume Quest and SOMA for Free

12. Re: Get Costume Quest and SOMA for Free Nov 2, 2019, 13:12 Nimh

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 12:24:
Creston wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 11:35:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 10:12:
Soma is probably the most dismal game I've played. Even while the ending is supposed to be uplifting I was just left feeling so hollow. I wish I could find more games that touched me on an emotional level.

This also. Do NOT play this game if you're struggling with depression. It's not going to help...

This is a fair review, but SOMA is a great game. Depressing, yes. Well made, defnitely. Well written for sure. I like it the most out of all of Frictional's work.

Aside from that; whoever is doing the game choices/contracts on Epic... outstanding fucking job. SOMA, Nuclear Throne, Ruiner, are all amazing games. Everybody should try them at the very least(depression issues aside for SOMA). Ruiner has also been patched quite a bit, and isn't nearly as unforgiving as it was on release day.

Too bad there is so much other horrible EGS shit going on, their giveaways are a great cross section of awesome games in different genres.

There is no contract between EGS and specific developers for these give always. Epic is funding it directly.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2019, 06:59 Nimh

Both sides are the same..  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 1, 2019, 11:19 Nimh

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 10:02:
NKD wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 09:05:
If y'all haven't watched a YouTube or something about how the Chinese do the Uyghur, you should check it out. Awful shit.
Is it worse than what we did to our indigenous people or the people we dragged from their homes and enslaved?

Holy false equivalence. Yes, much worse and it's happening now.

News Comments > Get Costume Quest and SOMA for Free

7. Re: Get Costume Quest and SOMA for Free Nov 1, 2019, 11:10 Nimh

Sepharo wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 08:53:
I wish it didn't have the sneak away from Big Daddy parts... But other than that it's great.

There's a mod on Steam that removes that stuff. You just get the story.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 12, 2019, 14:15 Nimh

Tiny batteries dont last long, news at 11.  

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash

19. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 16:02 Nimh

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 13:47:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 13:43:
It could just be me, cause today is an insomnia day, but I don't give a shit about Hong Kong. China is a boorish dick. China has always been a boorish dick. Why is anyone surprised when they act like boorish dicks?
We aren't. We are surprised/annoyed/disappointed US corporations are attempting to silence people who call the Chinese government "boorish dicks".

They're soulless, profit driven corporations. Why would anyone expect anything less more than that which will maximize their short term profits?

The surprising part for me has not been the censorship, one expects that within China. It's been the censorship outside of China, that's relatively new.

But you are correct, anti-democracy movements are more popular than ever around the world and a lot of people don't care.

News Comments > Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests

59. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 12:18 Nimh

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:48:

It is absolutely appalling that an American business would allow the Chinese government impose it's will upon non Chinese citizens.

NBA fans with Free Hong Kong signs ejected from preseason game in Philadelphia. https://6abc.com/sports/sixers-fan-supporting-hong-kong-ejected-from-preseason-game/5604293/

China flex is real.

52. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 06:58 Nimh

Received confirmation of account deletion this morning. A drop in the ocean but whatever.  

13. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 8, 2019, 13:47 Nimh

Blizzard is just doing what they're told, any one of you would've done the same.

Let me know when democratic ideals come back in fashion. It won't be anytime soon.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2019, 14:01.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month

7. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 12:12 Nimh

1 month exclusive?!? Timmy running out of money already?  

News Comments > Fortnite Class Action Suit Cites Addictiveness

1. Re: Fortnite Class Action Suit Cites Addictiveness Oct 4, 2019, 10:52 Nimh

If one was to try this anywhere in North America, Quebec is probably that place. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, and if/how this folds into the addictive nature of other game mechanics.  

News Comments > Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA

21. Re: Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA Oct 3, 2019, 08:32 Nimh

MattyC wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 03:15:
Does this include the Authenticator for SWTOR or is that still separate for no real reason?

At any right more people should use 2fa, so I support this.

Depends on the implementation, but 2FA links your phone number (one of the holy grails of data tracking) with your account. This account information is then available to 3rd party data brokers (partners) per the EA EULA. It's just more tracking and data points for them to link together. If you're sensitive about that stuff you try to minimize it. Otherwise it's just living in modern times where you and your life are the product.

750 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >