Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for fh

Real Name fh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nimh
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On January 17, 2001
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 837 (Graduate)
User ID 8716

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

General Discussion > Status of responsive conversion

14. No subject Apr 7, 2020, 06:12  Nimh 

Makes sense, thanks for your work on this Frans. Much appreciated.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 10:13  Nimh 

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 23:34:
Working from home is exhausting when you can't leave. There becomes no difference between 8pm on a Saturday and 10am on a Tuesday. If you're awake, you may as well work. Do you want to take a break? You can walk maybe 5 feet. You're walking around significantly less, and changing gears less, so everything becomes some really weird blur. Any distinction between work and not work totally ends. Yeah, you can set boundaries, but at some point they stop feeling as if they matter. You're going to be on the same couch or seat. There's not much to do. May as well do some work, especially since you probably have Teams and Outlook on every screen you loonat and can see it's buzzing with a question.

It's not physically exhausting, it's mentally.

This is where I'm at now.. I have kept most of my routines to make the flow familiar, but it has been getting increasingly frustrating. My wife is fine with it, but I'm more of an outdoor person and missing these nice spring days really sucks this year.

Edit: Forgot quote.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2020, 13:17.

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2020, 10:36  Nimh 

GinRummy wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:06:
A line to buy physical copies? I remember doing that in the 90s. Not since, though. Online is not only usually cheaper, but faster and easier. I think the last actual boxed game I got was through Amazon, but that was a LONG time ago. Does Canada not have the internet yet?

Excellent internet in urban areas, less so in the rural areas.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 10:31  Nimh 

Prez wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 18:49:
Just wanted to give an update - I had a stroke, Apparently it was a bad one

Holy crap! Wishing you a swift and complete recovery. My father had a small stroke last year, that stuff can mess you up.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2020, 07:51  Nimh 

1badmf wrote on Mar 21, 2020, 00:24:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 21:55:
With something that changes so rapidly it would be nice to know when these tracking pages update.
The Guardian shows 365 for Texas while Politico has 194 infected in Tx.

this is the best map i've seen, as far as i can tell, updated live by johns hopkins:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Since testing can be hit or miss at best, Id suggest just watching the deaths. Those will be consistent at the beginning, and can be adjusted pretty accurately after hospital inundation.

Similar for hospitalizations. For every reported case, at least in the US now, you probably have 10 un-reported.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 15:45  Nimh 

On grief.. Holland 1945

The only girl I've ever loved
Was born with roses in her eyes
But then they buried her alive
One evening 1945
With just her sister at her side
And only weeks before the guns
All came and rained on everyone
Now she's a little boy in Spain
Playing pianos filled with flames
On empty rings around the sun
All sing to say my dream has come

But now we must pack up every piece
Of the life we used to love
Just to keep ourselves
At least enough to carry on

And now we ride the circus wheel
With your dark brother wrapped in white
Says it was good to be alive
But now he rides a comet's flame
And won't be coming back again
The Earth looks better from a star
That's right above from where you are
He didn't mean to make you cry
With sparks that ring and bullets fly
On empty rings around your heart
The world just screams and falls apart

But now we must pack up every piece
Of the life we used to love
Just to keep ourselves
At least enough to carry on

And here's where your mother sleeps
And here is the room where your brothers were born
Indentions in the sheets
Where their bodies once moved but don't move anymore
And it's so sad to see the world agree
That they'd rather see their faces fill with flies
All when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes

News Comments > Into the Black

20. Re: Into the Black Mar 15, 2020, 11:28  Nimh 

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2020, 00:27:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 13, 2020, 19:49:
Just when you thought the stock market couldn't tank harder...

Oh sure it can. Don't tempt fate. Upside is if you're liquid enough this is like Christmas come early. My mother will be using her line of credit to snap up another 100k-200k of bank stock if it drops another 10 bucks because it hasn't been this low - 40 points down atm - in 20 years. And after this nonsense is done she'll have doubled her money in short order. I have a bit of cash to play with so I'll be looking at DRIPs over the next couple of weeks.

These things only ever suck if you have to sell - or don't have the green to snap up good stock cheap-er. Look at a DRIP aristocrat like Abbvie Pharma. A month ago their stock was $95, Thursday it was down to $78 and it's back up to $85 today. If it drops to $70 - where it was last Sept - I may even hit up moms for a loan to buy a block because it'll be back up to $100 or better by year end from what I've read.

If anyone has some cabbage to spare this is great time to get in. You should be living and breathing financial news atm.

Holding debt when banks start going under will be fun for no one. Last time that occurred debt becomes due in full with little to no warning. Debt needs servicing and the world is awash in low quality debt at the moment. Sub-prime part ll.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2020, 12:35  Nimh 

Planet-killer Asteroid 2020!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

1. Re: Reset Your Computer Once a Year for a Happier Life. Mar 9, 2020, 11:26  Nimh 

Back to the Windows 98 era with a yearly reinstall. Yay progress.  

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots

10. Re: Sunday Screenshots Mar 9, 2020, 09:04  Nimh 

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2020, 22:34:
In a game about body mods, a man looking feminine is suddenly controversial...

So much this!

Has everyone also forgotten the promo shot with that subway poster.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 6, 2020, 07:33  Nimh 

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 12:46:
Does that guy have any real world race experience? It'll be interesting to see how it pans out - especially if he doesn't.

Simulators have largely replaced track practice for Formula 1 I believe.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

2. Re: Why YouTube hasn't solved its conspiracy theory problem. Mar 6, 2020, 07:25  Nimh 

The Youtube suggested video row is the 21st century version of the grocery store tabloid section near the checkout.

Try this little experiment.. block the 'up next' element in uBlock Origin and note the effects on your dopamine addled brain when you cut off the source. (unblock the element when you can't take it anymore)

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx VR Environment Previews

6. Re: Half-Life: Alyx VR Environment Previews Mar 6, 2020, 05:00  Nimh 

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 17:38:
SteamVR exclusives sicken me.

For 2 preview files? Seriously?

News Comments > etc.

7. Re: etc. Mar 5, 2020, 07:57  Nimh 

Great story Sepharo, thanks for taking the time. I'll check it out this weekend.  

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2020, 14:21  Nimh 

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 13:52:
Nimh wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 13:38:
Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 12:58:
Nimh wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 12:48:
Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 12:36:
Nimh wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 12:32:
The same WHO that claims Covid-19 is not a pandemic? Shouldn't they be banned for misinformation as well?

Technically, it isn't yet a pandemic.

So I guess by not testing, they can say no "large numbers" or maybe they mean large numbers are a million cases. All other metrics were met several weeks ago.

Those aren't metrics, they're stages. Technically, we're not in Stage 6 yet, which is when something crosses over into a pandemic.

Pandemic is a precise term, so they're using it precisely. I'd argue you are not using it with the same precision, which is why I keep using the term "technically." It's all academic, but technically, it isn't a pandemic yet.

Well and could be, haha. It's amusing that "large numbers" is a high precision medical term.

Seems the 1 million dead may be close to the pandemic number, based on the Hong Kong Flu? Input, admonishment welcome.

It's really the localized part that hasn't been reached yet. For the most part, we know how people here have it, and they're not really spreading it that we've observed.

A decent explanation.

But again, it's really all academic. Does it matter to the regular person if it's a pandemic or an epidemic? But since the terms are different, getting angry at someone who literally is an expert in the field for using the correct one at the correct time, even though it sounds wrong to us, seems wrong.

We shouldn't care if it's called an epidemic or a pandemic, but I get why the professionals do. Much like the average person doesn't know the difference between memory and disk space. If someone were to complain to us that they were out of memory, but they really had a full HDD, we'd probably correct them, when they knew what they meant and just wanted it fixed.

Thanks for your insight, well said. I'd argue that if funding was dependent on whether a pandemic was issued, then it may matter, but those would largely be state dependent processes.

The asymptomatic nature and 14 day incubation may be influencing whether this is to be considered sustained transmission or not. It's obvious that it's highly transmissible. "Sustained" may be harder to pin down, unless they mean "is it still around in x months time" or some such.

(I do think metric is a valid term when looking at the virus performance. The WHO list is a list of performance criteria. but Mox Nix)

Edit: German health minister calls it a pandemic today.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2020, 14:37.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2020, 13:38  Nimh 

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 12:58:
Nimh wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 12:48:
The same WHO that claims Covid-19 is not a pandemic? Shouldn't they be banned for misinformation as well?

So I guess by not testing, they can say no "large numbers" or maybe they mean large numbers are a million cases. All other metrics were met several weeks ago.

Those aren't metrics, they're stages. Technically, we're not in Stage 6 yet, which is when something crosses over into a pandemic.

Pandemic is a precise term, so they're using it precisely. I'd argue you are not using it with the same precision, which is why I keep using the term "technically." It's all academic, but technically, it isn't a pandemic yet.

Well and could be, haha. It's amusing that "large numbers" is a high precision medical term.

Seems the 1 million dead may be close to the pandemic number, based on the Hong Kong Flu? Input, admonishment welcome.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2020, 12:48  Nimh 

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2020, 12:32  Nimh 

News Comments > Evening Interviews

9. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 4, 2020, 09:38  Nimh 

It seems fairly obvious from the videos that object interaction and manipulation are core game-play. So yeah, developed for VR.

I had a coworker with a demo unit of some type that I spent about 5 minutes with. It's neat and I would certainly want to rent one to play Alyx with. I can't see myself buying it though, not enough usage scenarios to justify the price tag.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2020, 12:38  Nimh 

F**ken OUCH!!

Ankle problems have high recurrence if not properly rehabilitated. Probably not the first time she's twisted it... or them.

837 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >