Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Morten Johansen

Real Name Morten Johansen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname roguebanshee
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 13:01
Total Comments 68 (Suspect)
User ID 8696

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Frank Pearce Leaving Blizzard
2. Re: Frank Pearce Leaving Blizzard Jul 20, 2019, 13:28 roguebanshee

That letter reads like a combination of "I don't like the way Activision does things" and "I could use a break from work related stress", all wrapped up in a "I don't want to burn bridges or anger others in the industry"-blanket.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 19, 2019, 16:36 roguebanshee

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 11:48:
Let's be real here, we have file managers that work for casuals, but if you do anything with your PC, chances are you have encountered a few billion cases of "ARGH fuck this file manager" situations.
And "casuals" make up about 99% of all PC users. And for the remaining 1% of users Windows Explorer does a decent enough job a large portion of the time. Not all the time, but a large portion of it.

It's not stellar, but it works.

News Comments > Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund
21. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 15, 2019, 06:11 roguebanshee

Jerykk wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 02:55:
Red886 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 00:41:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:38:
roguebanshee wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 18:27:
Resale for commercial purposes does require Sales Tax/VAT being applied to the new sales, thinking that any tax collection agency would see purchasing 40+ anything to resell at a later date as a non-commercial use is quite frankly naive.

Selling any amount of anything is a commercial use. That doesn't make it taxable. Go on eBay and you'll see plenty of people selling large quantities of items without charging tax. G2A is essentially the eBay for PC games.

dude, you do know that these resellers don't even 'exist'.

if these resellers actually do 'exist' , then they need to get a proper business license (of whichever form that is relevant).

Again, a quick glance at eBay shows that resellers very much do exist regardless of whether they have a proper business license. I don't see the government shutting them down so apparently they're allowed to resell hundreds and thousands of items without charging tax.
Some people breaking the law does not make it ok for others to also break the law.

17. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 14, 2019, 18:27 roguebanshee

Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 15:46:
roguebanshee wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 07:05:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 03:55:
"Wire fraud?" What are you talking about? They buy the games in bulk from regions where they are significantly cheaper, then resell them globally at a higher price (but still cheaper than MSRP). Again, there's absolutely nothing illegal about that.
It technically circumvents regional taxation (sales tax/VAT), which is fraud. The keys being sold are registered as being sold by the developer in a different country than where they're resold for profit. And the resale for profit via G2A almost certainly does not include any taxes.

1) Don't distribute keys to anyone except verified reviewers or influencers.
This takes a lot more work than most indie studios have budget for, especially since "verified reviewers or influencers" tend to have a lot of things going on already, which takes away time for them to check out a game they may not have heard about. So unless you have enough money to get a sponsored video up, larger influencers and big review sites are a crapshoot at best.

This means that the developer would then have to spend a lot of time researching smaller influencers (which means a smaller potential audience) instead of eg. fixing bugs or polishing the game. Outside the most successful Indie studios, Indies don't have enough income to keep a non-developer/artist on staff for tasks like this.

2) Region-lock your games.
Region locking games means that legitimate users can't gift to actual friends in a different and/or more expensive region (depending on the type of region lock used). It's something people have complained about many times, even on this forum.

If the keys were legally purchased, then all relevant taxes were paid at the time of purchase in the region they were purchased from.
Resale for commercial purposes does require Sales Tax/VAT being applied to the new sales, thinking that any tax collection agency would see purchasing 40+ anything to resell at a later date as a non-commercial use is quite frankly naive.

14. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 14, 2019, 07:05 roguebanshee

Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 03:55:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 21:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 20:23:
Sorry but cross-region reselling isn't illegal regardless of quantity. Publishers and devs don't like it but that doesn't make it fraud.

As for the delay in G2A's response, it takes time to check 300+ keys against the sales history on the site, especially if they don't have any tools specifically designed to do that. If they don't have any tools for that, they should definitely buy/make some.

If my memory serves, it would more than likely be classed as wire fraud...so yes, illegal.

You're going to tell me that G2A doesn't have the ability to search a table for a specific string within a reasonable amount of time? I mean, there are refrigerators out there that can take a picture and catalog their contents within 5 minutes...how hard can it be to peruse a table of keys looking for a specific string of alphanumerics?

I'm sorry, your constant defense of this obviously shady company is really starting to become tiresome...your whole argument relies on the basis that the reason the Devs are upset is because they don't want anyone to be able to resell their keys, which is a strawman at best and completely asinine at worst. How many articles do you need where Devs have flat out stated that their sole issue with G2A is G2A's inabillity and inaction in regards to protecting the developers from fraudulent sales on their site?

There have been 2 articles over the last couple years in regards to how G2A have seriously hurt indie devs and how G2A shows absolutely no compassion in regards to fixing simple issues outside of going "we're going to work harder" or "if Devs give us legitimacy we'll work with them more!"

"Wire fraud?" What are you talking about? They buy the games in bulk from regions where they are significantly cheaper, then resell them globally at a higher price (but still cheaper than MSRP). Again, there's absolutely nothing illegal about that.
It technically circumvents regional taxation (sales tax/VAT), which is fraud. The keys being sold are registered as being sold by the developer in a different country than where they're resold for profit. And the resale for profit via G2A almost certainly does not include any taxes.

1) Don't distribute keys to anyone except verified reviewers or influencers.
This takes a lot more work than most indie studios have budget for, especially since "verified reviewers or influencers" tend to have a lot of things going on already, which takes away time for them to check out a game they may not have heard about. So unless you have enough money to get a sponsored video up, larger influencers and big review sites are a crapshoot at best.

This means that the developer would then have to spend a lot of time researching smaller influencers (which means a smaller potential audience) instead of eg. fixing bugs or polishing the game. Outside the most successful Indie studios, Indies don't have enough income to keep a non-developer/artist on staff for tasks like this.

2) Region-lock your games.
Region locking games means that legitimate users can't gift to actual friends in a different and/or more expensive region (depending on the type of region lock used). It's something people have complained about many times, even on this forum.

News Comments > Torchlight Free on Epic Games Store
23. Re: Torchlight Free on Epic Games Store Jul 13, 2019, 12:25 roguebanshee

raVen wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 17:33:
When GoG.com makes it so I can launch everything from one client, I'll be extremely happy I purchased it forever ago.
You will still need every client installed and the apropriate client will still be launched to start a game purchased on a non-GoG store.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway
13. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 15:47 roguebanshee

MattyC wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:15:
@CJ um some of us have these things called friends who gift us games that are on our wishlist.:. Spyware?
The comments about the wishlist being spyware is just CJ going all-out tinfoil.

Valve does not need such a list to make decisions what and how they need to market to their users, they have all the data they need for that from the playtimes of your games, the playtimes of games played by those on your friends list and the games you browse in the store.

News Comments > G2A Solicits Paid Unattributed Editorial Support
5. Re: G2A Solicits Paid Unattributed Editorial Support Jul 8, 2019, 19:08 roguebanshee

Overon wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 17:27:
Isn't this how paid reviews work? Publish this message and good portion of the time it is not disclosed that the review was paid to say nice things about the product.
Not disclosing that you were paid (or provided the product for free/a discount) to write/say nice things about any type of product or service is illegal and can (in the US) incur fines of $40k per instance of undisclosed sponsorship. I couldn't find the actual fines for the EU with a quick search, but fines were mentioned as one of the things that would happen in the case of undisclosed "paid reviews".

Note that writing an article about someone paying for advertisements in a magazine follow different rules.

News Comments > Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition
17. Re: Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition Jul 6, 2019, 05:25 roguebanshee

Jerykk wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 23:25:
Think about it logically: if the majority of keys on G2A were stolen (and therefore inevitably revoked), G2A would go out of business. I'm not saying that there aren't any fraudulent sellers. I'm saying that the vast majority of sellers are legitimate.
G2A benefits just as much as the sellers from allowing keys obtained through credit card fraud to be sold on their service. G2A doesn't suffer any penalities from such keys being revoked at a later date.

And while I don't know if they offer it as a "service" anymore, I did read an article about G2A offering a "Reimbursement for revoked keys"-subscription. From what I can recall of that article (which was more about G2A being shady in general), that subscription was a) pushed hard by G2A and b) really convoluted to unsubscribe from. If G2A were truly confident in the keys being resold via their site, they wouldn't even think to need such a "service". A legit site would offer that for free to everyone.

News Comments > Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition
2. Re: Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition Jul 5, 2019, 17:05 roguebanshee

Jerykk wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 16:49:
So he doesn't actually have any proof that the keys sold on G2A were stolen and is simply angry about the unauthorized reselling of keys? Guess what: if people obtain a key by legal means (bundles, giveaways, gifts, etc), they're free to do whatever they want with them. If they buy a batch of keys from a region where they're much cheaper and then resell them globally, that's legal.
One person got 102 keys for a $25 ($22.5 with the launch discount) game they could sell for $13 for a game that was only sold on Steam.

I'm sure that person sold those keys at a total ~$1000 loss purely for the benefit of others. Absolutely no credit card fraud involved.

News Comments > G2A Fights Back
12. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 13:12 roguebanshee

G2A: "There'll always be fraud, so it's ok if we do it and ignore the issues it causes for indie developers."  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
38. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 04:09 roguebanshee

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2019, 17:17:
roguebanshee wrote on May 19, 2019, 08:52:
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

The Windows store can luckily be uninstalled very easily via a simple console command. I have no problem using just about every store client from Battle.net to EGS to Steam, uPlay, Origin, Bethesda.net etc. but the Windows store is a complete boycott for me thanks to the abysmal way Microsoft handled GFWL where they removed people's access to games they purchased. They have violated the number 1 rule: Trust.

MS also have no excuse. It's not like they went bankrupt or anything. It was a completely reckless and ruthless move to yank GFWL from PC gamers like they did. Those assholes can shove their Windows store where the sun never shines.

PSA: To uninstall the Windows Store open a PowerShell command line in admin mode. Then enter or copy&paste...

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

^ Done. Store gone. Fuck Microsoft. Live happily ever after.
I know that and have done it. Multiple times. Because the Microsoft store keeps getting reinstalled with the major OS version updates.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
21. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 08:52 roguebanshee

Verno wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:59:
This is wrong though. They force a build wrapper just like Steam
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

Not using a client as part of the DRM scheme is less common than using one.

My hope for the current situation is a shakeup of the status quo. Valve have been way too complacent and basically let Steam get worse and worse over the last couple of years. The worst case scenario is if Epic fails and Valve just coast along on the "everyone already have most of their games on our store, they'll stay if we don't do anything" like they have been doing.

Best case scenario is that the Epic store & client ends up being a good service and Valve putting in actual effort in improving Steam (beyond "ALGORITHMS!").

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 12, 2019, 08:15 roguebanshee

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2019, 15:07:
RedEye9 wrote on May 11, 2019, 11:29:
roguebanshee wrote on May 11, 2019, 11:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2019, 06:38:
RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2019, 13:57:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2019, 13:53:
Lithium is the new oil.
Why do you think we're in Afghanistan. Beadyeyes
You have to wonder how anyone could look at the last 40 years of Afghanistan history and think it is a good idea to spend $3 billion to lease land there with plans of build a mining operation. Good luck with that...
To some people a chance to earn more money is reason enough to take a risk with other people's lives.
Eggszactly
$3b is peanuts when your looking at $3Trillion in minerals. And you get free protection from the worlds largest and best equipped military. What's not to like.

If we didn't have a reason to stay before, wedo now. I bet there are plenty of rare Earth metals to mine as well. What are the chances that things improve for the Afghan people?
Even if things work out well, I doubt it will do much overall for the average Afghan. Maybe up to a couple thousand cheap labor jobs at most, in a population of 31.5 million or so (2018 estimate).

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2019, 11:10 roguebanshee

Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2019, 06:38:
RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2019, 13:57:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2019, 13:53:
Lithium is the new oil.
Why do you think we're in Afghanistan. Beadyeyes
You have to wonder how anyone could look at the last 40 years of Afghanistan history and think it is a good idea to spend $3 billion to lease land there with plans of build a mining operation. Good luck with that...
To some people a chance to earn more money is reason enough to take a risk with other people's lives.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 8, 2019, 15:54 roguebanshee

It is worth noting that this article is not aimed at the gaming community, but rather at potential advertisers.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 4, 2019, 11:58 roguebanshee

Marvin T. Martian wrote on May 4, 2019, 10:40:
Woke up to the add-on bug and fixed it quickly with this.
I was suffering the issue for nearly 18 hours until it was fixed a short while ago.

News Comments > World of Goo Free on Epic Games Store
7. Re: World of Goo Free on Epic Games Store May 3, 2019, 05:36 roguebanshee

Kxmode wrote on May 3, 2019, 00:20:
EA's freebie Origin offerings started dropping in quality too. Near the end of the promotion they gave away Peggle and Steamworld Dig. When it started they were giving away Mirror's Edge and Medal of Honor Pacific Assault.
I'd argue that Steamworld Dig is a higher quality game than both Mirror's Edge and Medal of Honor.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 28, 2019, 14:22 roguebanshee

With MK11 listed twice and Imperator: Rome being listed thrice, that's just 7 different titles.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 25, 2019, 05:56 roguebanshee

Of course that MK11 headline fails to mention that it isn't technically possible to buy every single skin at once. You'd have to wait an unspecified amount of time for skins to be available for purchase that way, as there is a rotation between what items can be purchased.

Whether that is better or worse I don't know.

68 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo