Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Morten Johansen

Real Name Morten Johansen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname roguebanshee
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On January 15, 2001
Supporter -
Total Comments 177 (Novice)
User ID 8696

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Remastered Revealed

12. Re: Saints Row: The Third Remastered Revealed Apr 5, 2020, 06:38 roguebanshee

Slashman wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 22:33:
Bumpy wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 22:10:
Wait, which is the one with the dildos? Everyone needs improved dildos.

All of them?
SR2 didn't have much in the way of silly weaponry, characters or story, about the closest it got to SR3/4 style, was a couple of side missions where you drove around town in a septic truck and sprayed everything to lower property values (while the mission giver was talking with your character). The rest of the game was much closer to GTA3 in presentation, gameplay and story than the sequels ever got.

And as others here have mentioned, SR2 would be a far better Remaster, but I think people who have only played the later games would be confused about the tone of SR2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2020, 05:31 roguebanshee

MrBone wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 00:19:
Wow. I thought they were already checking their workers. Talk about zero-prep.
It's Amazon doing anything for their workers is against corporate culture.

News Comments > Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx

2. Re: Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx Mar 24, 2020, 11:31 roguebanshee

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 11:29:
Very interesting, so why didn't Valve do it themselves?
Because releasing a non-VR version would not help push sales of VR units.

News Comments > Get Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free

7. Re: Get Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free Mar 20, 2020, 03:19 roguebanshee

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 22:59:
I wonder what price Epic ends up paying Ubisoft per copy of Watch_Dogs they give away? It can't possibly be the whole $29.99 they want you to think it's worth, that game is on sale for peanuts all the time.
They almost certainly pay a lump sum for the entire giveaway regardless of how many copies get snagged.

None of the DLC (or the complete edition) is free and both companies likely hope for additional income via that.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adds Wishlists

19. Re: Epic Games Store Adds Wishlists Mar 11, 2020, 10:47 roguebanshee

wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 09:48:
Can we wish for a no-drm-launcher option?
no?
How about a complete opt-out to datamining / telemetry (Other than recorded purchases by the store)
no?
I'll stick with GOG. Thanks.
The majority of games I have on EGS (freebies) run without the EGS client just fine. I just needed the client to install them.

The ones that require launching through the client are always a developer/publisher choice. And I haven't seen them on GOG yet.

News Comments > Epic Expresses Support for GeForce NOW

6. Re: Epic Expresses Support for GeForce NOW Mar 8, 2020, 09:49 roguebanshee

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 20:03:
I haven't the foggiest idea, but I've little reason to trust Sweeney or Epic's motives in this area.
I trust Tim Sweeny and Epic as much as I trust Gabe Newell and Valve:

Not at all.

Neither is your friend, nor are the companies they head your friend. They're all in it to make money as their main focus, the games being sold and the services they support are only there to help them achieve this.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of Half-Life

19. Re: Valve on the Future of Half-Life Mar 4, 2020, 15:38 roguebanshee

Half-Life 3 won't happen until Valve has exhausted every other option to stay financially viable.

Which means that if you want HL3 you need to root for Steam to fail

News Comments > Riot Games Lawsuit Reset

46. Re: Riot Games Lawsuit Reset Feb 27, 2020, 05:40 roguebanshee

Beamer wrote on Feb 26, 2020, 08:20:
Given this guy's somewhat broken English, I assume he isn't American.
That was my expectation from the "Just get a new education and look for a job in a different field"-part. I'd say $300k would be low end for the expenses of doing that as an American, and that would only be the cost if you could cover it without taking any loans.

If any kind of loan is involved, the actual cost would likely approach minimum $500k (over the time it takes to pay it back). Which would be on top of the student loan already being paid off.

News Comments > Riot Games Lawsuit Reset

3. Re: Riot Games Lawsuit Reset Feb 25, 2020, 05:34 roguebanshee

bigspender wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 01:34:
My dignity is easily worth $400 million USD. Any CEOs want to fart in my face? Hell I'll settle for 40mil....
The thing is, with the original settlement and the amount of people who had to share it, the average payout would have been around $2-3k. For several months or years worth of sexual harassment depending on the individual. Most people would not want be farted in the face a couple of months for a total of $2-3k.

Going up to $400mil from $10mil means they're asking for payouts in the range of $80-120k per person (on average).

News Comments > Op Ed

29. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 13:29 roguebanshee

Acleacius wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 12:10:
Not to mention the term "shovelware" was created due to the crap titles m$ was rushing out the door.
The term "shovelware" was used in the 80s, usually for rushed movie license games released on multiple 8-bit systems. At least in the game magazines I read at the time.

News Comments > Activision Hits Reddit with DMCA Subpoena

14. Re: Activision Hits Reddit with DMCA Subpoena Feb 22, 2020, 13:03 roguebanshee

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2020, 12:23:
Prez wrote on Feb 22, 2020, 08:51:
I've searched the entire DMCA and I see no provision by which a copyright holder can subpoena anyone for someone's identity. I only found that online service providers are required to immediately take down any infringing content in order to maintain their safe harbor status.
Yeah, it's strange. NDA violations are civil law, remedied by a lawsuit. DCMA is a federal criminal statute. Two completely unrelated types of law.
It's probably an "If it works, it works" attempt at leveraging the law by Activision's lawyers.

News Comments > Op Ed

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2020, 13:02 roguebanshee

tyler@steam should be able to talk to james@epic.
That's one of the things GOG are hoping to achieve with Galaxy 2.0, along with a unified list of games across all platforms. You will obviously still need to use the various launchers to actually launch the games, but you'll have one big list.

News Comments > Activision Hits Reddit with DMCA Subpoena

9. Re: Activision Hits Reddit with DMCA Subpoena Feb 22, 2020, 09:07 roguebanshee

Prez wrote on Feb 22, 2020, 08:51:
I've searched the entire DMCA and I see no provision by which a copyright holder can subpoena anyone for someone's identity. I only found that online service providers are required to immediately take down any infringing content in order to maintain their safe harbor status.
They're not the first to try something like this against Reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkdgWccrJAy53-jeBxM3Pk_kcwz7Q9NR5

News Comments > Op Ed

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2020, 15:41 roguebanshee

MeanJim wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 14:22:
A company should stand by their product and support it with fixes when need be.

Bethesda... fixing bugs... Laugh Laugh2 Mwahaha Lol_dies
To be fair, Bethesda has made more than 3 patches for each of the rest of their inhouse titles.

On the other hand, VR is still a niche enough market that it's possible they can't justify spending more money on patches at this point in time.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW

13. Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 06:58 roguebanshee

Jonjonz wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 06:26:
NVIDIA (120 billon valuation) can afford to just flat out buy Valve (Forbes estimates value at 3-4 billion.) Then they would have the best catalog in the cloud.
You can only buy something that is for sale. And Valve is not publically traded, so any acquisition would have to be actively negotiated. If Gabe Newell doesn't feel like he's getting enough out of whatever deal is proposed he can almost certainly deny any sale as he (from what I can tell) owns the majority of Valve. Additonally whatever values Forbes estimate are at best guidelines to be used in potential negotiations, Bloomberg puts the estimate for Valve at $10 billion on this date.

There's also the possibility that Gabe Newell just doesn't see the need to sell to NVIDIA, regardless of how much he is offered. Even if he only had a personal fortune of $500mil that is still enough for a family to live extremely comfortably for a century. And $500 million is well below what he most likely actually has, as his personal net worth is estimated to be in the range of $3.5-6.5 billion depending on source.

If Gabe Newell is the kind of person who doesn't actively seek more wealth (those do exist), he has little reason to accept any offer of a buyout. And Valve is (at least partially) his creation, so he may have a lot of attachment to the company and may not want to see anyone else in control.

News Comments > Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Vanishes from Epic Games Store

6. Re: Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Vanishes from Epic Games Store Feb 8, 2020, 11:11 roguebanshee

Minor correction, this is the second advertised title to just return a 404.

Pandemic was originally shown as comming to the EGS along with the current giveaway games, but old links to the page started returning a 404 when this week's giveaway launched.

News Comments > Get Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride for Free

12. Re: Get Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride for Free Feb 7, 2020, 16:06 roguebanshee

Nullity wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 14:39:
roguebanshee wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 14:21:
Nullity wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 12:35:
It forces Epic to pay more to the publishers (presumably, but it can't hurt, just in case).
The most likely scenario is that they do not pay per activation, but rather a single lump sum up front regardless of how many grab the game(s).
Perhaps, or it could even be something in between, based on tiers. So for example (numbers pulled out of my ass), Epic pays a sum that includes the first 100k activations, then a smaller sum for every 5k after that.

I wouldn't think that a publisher would agree to a single amount covering an unlimited number of copies, but I suppose we really don't know.
$500k cash payment would be ~$715k in total sales on Steam. For a $20 title that is roughly equivalent to 35k sales. For anything but a new game, 35k sales in a week is way beyond expectation. The two giveaways this week are both $10 titles from 2007 & 08 in a niche genre.

While there have been reports of a giveaway costing Epic $10mil, that was likely they 6 Batman games. And even using their current individual prices of $20 and not thinking of any store cut, that would be equivalent of ~83k sales for each title. The newest of which is from 2015 (or more than 4 years old at the time of the giveaway). I expect WB was happy with getting 10mil up front for a bunch of old games, regardless of how many million copies were snagged.

While $10mil sounds like a lot (and to most individuals it most certainly is), the Fortnite money would let Epic coast along and do at least a hundred more giveaways at that level.

News Comments > Get Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride for Free

10. Re: Get Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride for Free Feb 7, 2020, 14:21 roguebanshee

Nullity wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 12:35:
It forces Epic to pay more to the publishers (presumably, but it can't hurt, just in case).
The most likely scenario is that they do not pay per activation, but rather a single lump sum up front regardless of how many grab the game(s).

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Feb 7, 2020, 05:36 roguebanshee

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2020, 23:39:
So by "net revenue" they mean profit?
That is correct.

Gross is total income before any expenditures (taxes, salaries, purchases, etc.). Net is what is left over after all expenditures have been deducted.

News Comments > Steam 2019 Year in Review

9. Re: Steam 2019 Year in Review Feb 6, 2020, 12:39 roguebanshee

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2020, 12:26:
roguebanshee wrote on Feb 6, 2020, 09:49:
Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2020, 08:09:
The new interface is just most of the old interface with some of the stuff that used to be hidden or obfuscated moved to the forefront. It's far more useful IMO.
Except the old interface had the option to not have any icons anywhere and just a list of what was installed with other (user defined) useful information for each title on a single line. Basically the same as the mini-view, but with full library functionality.

Edit:
Found a screenshot someone else took of the old list view along with what options it had for information: https://i.imgur.com/bNIj0NJ.png

There are icons there, they are just really small. I just don't see how that was sustainable though and they found a good middle ground. They're adapting Steam to other platforms and having an ever growing list of columns (many of them pointless) just wasn't going to help with that effort. The old client also lacked advanced filtering and a lot of the features were buried. Looking at your screenshot that's how I had my old library essentially and I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the new update. My quick list on the left, I can search it and filter it more easily now. My middle pane is details view for games. I don't need to see 80 metascores or redundant columns like favorites/Ready to Play all the same time so I am OK with having to make one click to see it. The news view was annoying at first because I couldn't customize it but now I can stop specific games from appearing there so it's fine.

I guess I just don't see the issue, to me most of what the old library view had was redundant and after some quick customization I find the new client way more useful. Before they shrank the icons I was annoyed but now I'm totally fine.
The icons could be disabled (which I did) as could every column except the title. The columns that were useful to me were cloud (which also showed whether there was a conflict with local and cloud state), Last Played and Size on Disk. The latter two mostly to evaluate whether I wanted to keep something installed.

Filtering could (and can still) be done with categories you set up yourself, instead of with whatever tags other people thinks are apropriate.

The new library is about what others want you to see, not what you want to see. And I do not like that.

177 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >