Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1720 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 10:40 sauron

I built this machine (i5 4590, 500GBSSD, GTX970, 16GB RAM) about 6 months ago, and just used stock cooling and plenty of fans. It's very quiet, almost completely silent. The key was to plug the fans into the motherboard fan headers rather than the PSU since that way they're running at optimal speeds rather than maximum all the time. And paying close attention to direction of airflow, from low down and in front of the case, to above and the rear of the case. Good cable management also helps a bit. As does a good quality power supply, although that latter mainly for my peace of mind. And an SSD is great - quiet and oh so quick. And Arctic Silver rather than the manufacturer's goop pad that comes on most of the stock and aftermarket CPU coolers.

If I was building one now, I'd go with liquid cooling, nice big dampened case, and good quality fans plugged directly into the board. Best resource I found was pcpartpicker, since you can see and price up different builds:

Linkie

I also have an i7 6700k GTX970 500GB SSD mini ITX plugged into a 4k UHD TV but that was a commercial unit and I think I'll have to re-house it. It's kind of loud. The case it came in is worryingly small and only has a couple fans, plus the CPU is on stock. Will probably move it to a Thermaltake V1 and Corsair H60/90 liquid cooler, with NZXT fans for the win.

Good luck!

This comment was edited on May 11, 2016, 10:49.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2016, 13:04 sauron

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2016, 12:06:
Swale plans to launch an IndieGoGo campaign to keep the garden barge project afloat through the summer.

We want to show that healthy, fresh food can be a free public service, Swale creator Mary Mattingly told Tech Insider, not just an expensive commodity, and something that for not much work and effort, a city could supply.

Clearly she doesn't understand what "free" means. And how is this healthy and green when you have a massive polluting tug towing it around. Or who knows what that barge could be leaching into the soil. Things like this require more than just good intentions.

We also do our part for Ecology here in the Jackson Heights area of Mordor/NYC. The orcs like to garden out back of the Tower. We have an especially good crop of Assassin Vines this year - helps keep the local hobbit population under control.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2016, 12:52 sauron

MrGrosser wrote on May 10, 2016, 10:41:
You guys should Twitch stream these things. I'd watch.

I did actually watch a stream of the Heroes of the Storm game Blue mentioned last month that he and his buds were part of:

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/170616/out-of-the-blue

It was fun and I'd definitely watch more of that kind of thing, even if only to see games I don't usually play.

As for Overwatch, I think I'm gonna have to get it on release. It looks like it's a blast. Am guessing it's going to sell a lot of copies.

Kittens!

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month?
8. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month? May 9, 2016, 13:13 sauron

nin wrote on May 9, 2016, 10:38:
Xil wrote on May 9, 2016, 10:32:
Sooooo looking forward to this

More content is always welcome, but I've pretty much accepted I will never complete this game...too many side quests and too much OCD.

I do hope the city is big...

You and me both nin. By the time I finally completed Skyrim, it was May 2015!

I will finish Witcher 3. It's going to take quite a while but it will be worth it.

Kittens!

5. Re: Blu-ray suggestions? May 9, 2016, 13:10 sauron

BobBob wrote on May 9, 2016, 13:01:
I understand your pain. I have an arthritis that threatens to fuse my vertebrae. The only way to prevent disability is to keep moving, hence the obsession with cycling and exercise. Though on certain days - usually before it rains - when there is a flare up, my body feels like a torch due to rampant inflammation. What's weird is it even affects my eyesight. On occasion, it's so bad I literally can't walk.

Ouch, that sounds very painful. Not wanting to intrude but has your doc checked for underlying causes? Unlikely, but sometimes arthritis and linked uveitis can be part of RA, psoriatic arthritis or Sjogrens. Anyhow, hope you're alright.

Kittens!

3. Re: Blu-ray suggestions? May 9, 2016, 13:02 sauron

I'm on the mend today, as I suffered a little back strain over the weekend. These used to be pretty frequent, but at some point in the late 90s I invested in an Aeron chair, and haven't really had any problems since.

Hope your back's feeling better, Blue.

I'm also a fan of Aeron chairs and in fact my Throne of Skulls and Unholy Iron is actually a converted Aeron Herman Miller Tilt Limiter Task Chair. I'm sure you can see the similarities:

Throne

Although mine also comes with a Hobbit Foot Stool (not converted).

Kittens!

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
68. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 9, 2016, 10:10 sauron

This looks nice, but right now I'm not sure there's too much of a need. I have a 4k TV with a GTX970 i7-6700k 8GB SSD machine hooked up to it, and it seems to handle everything just fine. Then again, I haven't tried anything really recent on it except AC Syndicate, and that's kind of a console port.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch
26. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 16:41 sauron

nin wrote on May 6, 2016, 13:44:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 6, 2016, 13:41:
I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work.
I have the beta installed but didn't really screw around with custom games, only did a match vs Ai and online against human players.

Please keep us posted - if it has full bot support, I might check it out.

Thanks!

Yes, me too. Thanks for the information!

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 6, 2016, 15:40 sauron

Tachikoma wrote on May 6, 2016, 14:35:
'Beholder' is a simulation of the life of an ordinary beholder
is what I hoped this sentence will look like.

Same here. Zapping paladins with Flesh to Stone rays never gets old.

Let's just say we have a few 'rather lifelike' statues here in the tower.

Kittens!

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch
6. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 12:57 sauron

Frijoles wrote on May 6, 2016, 11:45:
Like TF2, great when you just want to jump in and out of a quick match, or play for an evening. And since I'm old, I can play with real players vs. bots (like in HotS) and not worry about the competitive parts of it. They just need a few more levels of difficulty (medium is way too easy, hard is way too hard if you're not playing as a team). Lots of stuff to collect, too, which will keep me busy for a while.

Bots sound good - I loved UT botmatch practice since it allowed me to get to know the maps before jumping on to the servers.

Can you run a full match with just one human player and the remainder bots on the human player's team and the opposition team?

Thanks!

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 13:59 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:32:
sauron wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:28:
Note that the Times only allows 10 free articles a month, and the original study may need a subscription but the summary page is free.
Surely the second Dark Lord and others in Barad-dr know to clear cookies and use different browsers and free vpns to evade paywall limitations.

Hmm, you have a point, puny human. I shall execute my current orc IT technicians, and will hire more devious and cunning replacements.

Kittens!

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 11:28 sauron

A new Biggest Loser study shows why it's so hard to lose weight and keep it off

The NY Times also has a great article on that scientific study, which has been published in the journal Obesity . The study, and the commentary in the Times article, are really insightful:

NY Times Biggest Loser article

Link to full study, and summary

Note that the Times only allows 10 free articles a month, and the original study may need a subscription but the summary page is free.

Kittens!

News Comments > Black Desert Online Mediah Part Two
7. Re: Black Desert Online Mediah Part Two May 5, 2016, 09:53 sauron

JohnBirshire wrote on May 4, 2016, 18:33:
What MMO's are the "least grindy" nowadays?

The least grindy one I've played was Guild Wars 2, which is pretty good but had almost no endgame at the time. I heard the expansion (Heart of Thorns) is also good - it came out recently.

FFXIV was also decent. FFXI was ridiculously grindy but some of the gameplay was just amazing.

LOTRO is excellent, of course, and I'm not at all biased.

Kittens!

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black May 5, 2016, 08:20 sauron

Spektr wrote on May 5, 2016, 04:51:
I guess that guy knows moray eels are venomous right?

And two sets of jaws (normal and pharyngeal).

I was on a fishing boat once, and someone hooked a moray. The captain just cut the line half an inch from the hook and let it go. He said he only ever caught two morays, and one of them bit him.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2016, 15:27 sauron

nin wrote on May 3, 2016, 10:05:
Finding Verizon wants to charge $5.00 extra per month to not list a phone number in pubic directories.

That's been standard for decades around here. If you want to opt out, they expect you to pay.

Barad-Dur has broadband built in (obviously), so I've been trying to find a use for our local Verizon technicians.

The veterinarian says I can't feed them to the pit fiends - too high in cholesterol.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2016, 15:23 sauron

jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2016, 14:54:
sauron wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:32:
That would be good. I kind of gave up watching halfway through Season 3 with all those deaths.

Seeing as you're the Dark Lord and all, I figured it would be your favorite show.

Heh, no. That would be Entourage. Game of Thrones is too much like Real Life. I mean, that's my day job, right there, except with more flying reptiles.

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2016, 12:38 sauron

nin wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:50:
sauron wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:44:
nin wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:41:
I really loved TL2. Did you try the Synergies mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136232408

Thanks, that looks really good. Actually, one thing I would love now that I've figured out secondary skills, is a way to respec my character. Kind of weird they don't allow it in the vanilla game.

Thought there were potions? Or was that an mod? Might have been a mod.

I think it's a mod. Not to worry, I'm only level 15 and have a reasonable build so far. And most of the other skills I want haven't kicked in yet since they're level-locked.

I'm totally jealous of that LEGO Milennium Falcon, by the way. Really looks fun.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2016, 10:44 sauron

nin wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:41:
I really loved TL2. Did you try the Synergies mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136232408

Thanks, that looks really good. Actually, one thing I would love now that I've figured out secondary skills, is a way to respec my character. Kind of weird they don't allow it in the vanilla game.

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2016, 10:32 sauron

nin wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:14:
Blue wrote on May 2, 2016, 10:06:
I agree -- sure did break from the perception that they save all the action and big twists for the last two episodes of the season.

Of course if rumors about the last two seasons being shortened are correct, then they only have like 20-24 more episodes to wrap everything up, so we may maintain a greater sense of urgency going forward.

Which I'm fine with. My theory is season 5 was basically everyone at their low point, and from 6 to the end, you basically have That Guy From Last Night rallying all the folks we loved from season 1 back together and saving the day.

That would be good. I kind of gave up watching halfway through Season 3 with all those deaths.

I spent the weekend playing Torchlight 2 coop with my daughters. Embarrassed to admit we got a quarter of the way through the game without realizing there are secondary skills. Whoops!

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2016, 19:00 sauron

OK, that LEGO train is officially awesome. Especially when it goes past the family cat,

I spent a couple of hours last night and a couple more today playing Torchlight 2 co-op with my teenage daughters, Very very fun. They are much better at the game than I am, and are definitely dark lords (ladies?) in training.

Kittens!

1720 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo