Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1813 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2016, 10:57 sauron

That Xeon PC article is really interesting, thanks for posting it. Funny that the dual Xeon performs so much better in everything except games, but then I think we already knew that would be the case since CPU is not the bottleneck in those applications.  

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Shipping to Compensate for Oculus Rift Delays
9. Re: Free Shipping to Compensate for Oculus Rift Delays Apr 2, 2016, 23:10 sauron

Hope you get yours soon, Blue. I'm hoping you'll post your impressions, and maybe even a few gameplay vids?  

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2016, 12:26 sauron

I have decided to become a pacifist vegetarian and rebuild Minas Tirith.

Heh, like that's ever gonna happen. In reality, Shelob and I are going on an Easter Egg hunt later.

And by 'Easter Egg', we mean 'Hobbit', obviously.

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2016, 14:35 sauron

Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 14:25:
Computer glasses? You mean...cyber-glasses?!?!

No, I think he means these.

Kittens!

News Comments > Quoteworthy - MS on Halo 5 Skipping PCs
14. Re: Quoteworthy - MS on Halo 5 Skipping PCs Mar 31, 2016, 12:33 sauron

I think this is a sensible business decision. The shooter space on PC is wildly over-represented anyway, and many of the top shooters are likely to be better than another Halo game by leaps and bounds. Halo 5 would need to be optimized for PC and even then probably wouldn't be well reviewed and would sell poorly.

This way, they don't have to sink a ton of money into a game that won't perform well. And we don't have to play their crap. Win-win, I say.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 31, 2016, 12:26 sauron

beigemore wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 10:22:
I played this game for several years.. last decade. It was a very, very good game but the time dedication it required back then was insane. Excellent game.

Yeah, I played it for 8 years and was a member of the oldest North American guild for most of that time (KoolAid). A bunch of the other members jumped over to FFXIV when it came out, and I joined them for a while. Such nice folks. We keep in touch on the guild website, which is still running.

FFXI was incredibly fun and immersive, and being part of a raiding team for a prolonged period was some of the best gaming I've ever experienced. Although playing an MMO like that meant I missed out on a ton of other games.

Kittens!

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 30, 2016, 11:54 sauron

Dang, every review of the Rift I have read has been absolutely stellar. I guess it really is the real deal.

Anyone here tried it?

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III
8. Re: Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III Mar 30, 2016, 11:04 sauron

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 20:04:
sauron wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 17:18:
Verno wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:48:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:26:
Fion wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 14:59:
I'd go for this if I didn't already own a steam controller.

How is it? Could it be as good as a mouse in a FPS if you got used to it?

No. It is better than analog sticks but not as good as a mouse and never will be. It's good at letting you play RTS, ARPG, FPS and etc more comfortably on the couch though. I really love mine but having to tinker with the config for every game to get it to your liking is something most people won't have the patience for. There are tons of community configs for games but you'll still end up tweaking a lot. Don't get it unless you don't mind that aspect of it.

I have one as well and agree completely. It's great for sitting on the couch and playing Pillars of Eternity, but I wouldn't have the patience to use it with The Witcher or a shooter.

I also have a Steam Link, which works really well even via wireless, but it kept randomly turning on my TV for some reason so I had to disconnect it. I had a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse synced to it, and it's possible my cat knocked the mouse and that turned the unit on. Either that or he was playing videogames while I was out at work.

In the end I just hooked up a gaming rig to the TV. Seems to work pretty well with the Bluetooth gear and Steam Controller. Although it's small form factor microATX with a GTX970 and I may have to switch it to a case with more fans, like a Thermaltake V1. Bit worried about thermal issues.

Isn't that designed with a console interface in mind already anyway?

How does a Steam controller compare to using an xbox or ps3/4 controller on a PC?

Yes, I use it with Steam Big Picture, works really well. I do have a wireless XBox controller (came free with the gaming PC) but the Steam Controller is so good, I never even opened the box for the XBox one.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III
4. Re: Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III Mar 29, 2016, 17:18 sauron

Verno wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:48:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:26:
Fion wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 14:59:
I'd go for this if I didn't already own a steam controller.

How is it? Could it be as good as a mouse in a FPS if you got used to it?

No. It is better than analog sticks but not as good as a mouse and never will be. It's good at letting you play RTS, ARPG, FPS and etc more comfortably on the couch though. I really love mine but having to tinker with the config for every game to get it to your liking is something most people won't have the patience for. There are tons of community configs for games but you'll still end up tweaking a lot. Don't get it unless you don't mind that aspect of it.

I have one as well and agree completely. It's great for sitting on the couch and playing Pillars of Eternity, but I wouldn't have the patience to use it with The Witcher or a shooter.

I also have a Steam Link, which works really well even via wireless, but it kept randomly turning on my TV for some reason so I had to disconnect it. I had a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse synced to it, and it's possible my cat knocked the mouse and that turned the unit on. Either that or he was playing videogames while I was out at work.

In the end I just hooked up a gaming rig to the TV. Seems to work pretty well with the Bluetooth gear and Steam Controller. Although it's small form factor microATX with a GTX970 and I may have to switch it to a case with more fans, like a Thermaltake V1. Bit worried about thermal issues.

Kittens!

News Comments > DOOM Beta Keys
7. Re: DOOM Beta Keys Mar 29, 2016, 17:13 sauron

My local Gamestop is actually pretty decent, and the folks behind the counter are a nice bunch.

I'll totally ask them for a key on Friday. And if they refuse, I'll set the orcs on them.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 11:26 sauron

I don't think you should feel cheap about asking for an evaluation unit, Blue. The site has been online for almost 20 years and has had over 900 million visitors. I'd have thought the manufacturers would love the attention.  

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2016, 13:33 sauron

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 13:16:
PHJF wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 12:48:
Therein lies the problem, because you and $170M worth of US viewers *also* saw his movie last weekend, when everyone knew it would be bad and everyone who'd already seen it said it was bad.

I admit I regret supporting this monstrosity. I doubt it'll have any legs past the weekend though. I wouldn't have watched it normally, my gut was definitely saying (screaming) no. But some members of the group wanted to go and inertia took over. Might be the worst movie I've ever seen, and I've seen turds like 300 Rise of a Nation and Blues Brothers 2000.

It took $424 million worldwide over the weekend, apparently. We'll have an avalanche of awful superhero sequels next summer. I never go to those movies and wish there were better options at the local cineplex.

Although no more Lord of the Rings movies, please. I'm sick of those too, even though I'm the star!

Kittens!

News Comments > Atari Vault Opened
6. Re: Atari Vault Opened Mar 25, 2016, 11:25 sauron

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 25, 2016, 10:46:
considering the metric ton's of quarters I gave Atari during the 80's they should give me a copy.

LOL, same here. Looks fun, but missing a lot of the arcade classics I used to enjoy so much. I guess those IP don't belong to Atari.

So no Defender, Scramble, Galaxians, Galaga, Dig-Dug or Pac-Man, or variants thereof. And no Space Invaders.

Ooh, but it does have Red Baron, so yay! Although no Battlezone, so boo!

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2016, 11:21 sauron

mch wrote on Mar 25, 2016, 10:27:
Updated my bookmark yesterday and no problems whatsoever.

Same here, seems to be working fine.

Kittens!

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 17:09 sauron

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 16:36:
nin wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 15:58:
What do they use for liquid cooling in Mordor?

The blood of elves, natch.

Either that or hobbit juice. The IT Department has an on-site Thermaltake Hobbit Squeezer for exactly that purpose.

Kittens!

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 15:02 sauron

The Anandtech article on CPUs is interesting, thanks for posting the link.

They make the point that only 1% of the PC gaming community has the hardware to run VR at the moment, which means anyone trying to make the jump is going to have to shell out for the headset plus the hardware upgrade.

And even of the folks that do have a VR-capable setup, how many are really going to make the jump? I already have the PC hardware and feel absolutely no desire to buy into VR, at least not now.

Kittens!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2016, 08:32 sauron

This will probably be settled out of court. She has an excellent case for wrongful dismissal, and the school district probably doesn't have much of a defense. Plus at the time they fired her, no action had been taken against the student involved.

Plus, the article states that 'Following the incident, Arthur (the teacher) said four of the photos taken from her phone were printed out and put in her mailbox, with a threatening message on the back of one of them. The sheriff’s office is investigating that as well.'. The student involved is now facing felony charges, thank goodness.

That teacher probably won't teach again, but she will be very well compensated.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Previews
3. Re: Morning Previews Mar 23, 2016, 22:27 sauron

Task wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 15:38:
Didn't read that one, but I'm liking what I'm reading about Tyranny in those articles and other sites with more tidbits, which I prefer to call "Tyrant."

- apparently between 20-30 hours
- tighter focus with heavy emphasis on reactivity encouraging multiple plays (lots of C&C hopefully)
- how you create your characters background changes drastic parts of the game, even the environment
(top down, isometric Alpha Protocol?)
- 4 character party (how you interact with them determines combo specialty too)
- Classless system (equip a dagger and your char gets gud with it with constant use)
- real-time with pause
- Bronze Age/Iron Age type setting with Fantasy elements, in a Mediterranean type art style

Seems kinda edgy, like Obsidian are pushing the envelope. After PoE I'll probably play anything they develop - it's the best isometric RPG since Planescape Torment. But I hope they don't overextend themselves.

Kittens!

News Comments > GOG.com Insomnia Sale
13. Re: GOG.com Insomnia Sale Mar 22, 2016, 15:11 sauron

Tachikoma wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 05:23:
Jeez, it`s just a sale, get over it.

My only problem is the same like with all their sales - repetitive deals. It`s the same fare with same prices just like in the last sale (not too long ago) and the one before, and the one bef...

Same here. I did pick up Divinity: Original Sin for 40% off, and X-Wing Alliance for 50% off, so am not complaining.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 22:55 sauron

I'm not in for March Madness, but the 2016 European soccer championships are hitting in June and I am really interested. Any other soccer fans on Blues, or is it just me?  

Kittens!

1813 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo