Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1726 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2016, 11:05 sauron

yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 10:48:
nin wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 09:57:
Why you might want to think twice about getting your wisdom teeth removed.

I have a dentist who asks me almost every time I'm in about them. And I tell him as long as they're not causing an issue (I've had one removed, due to problems with the tooth in front of it) they're staying in place.

Heh yeah. I'm originally from East Europe and have been living in Germany for most of my life and it was weird because in the countries like Greece, Russia, Ukraine etc. it's not a common practice to pull the wisdom teeth, only if it's an emergency and here in Germany almost everyone I talk to had his wisdom teeth pulled out at one point.

Man, I'm keeping mine. As long as they don't cause any issues they'll just stay right where they are.

Same here - my dentist mentions mine every time Mrs. Sauron and I visit to have our fangs sharpened. They are not causing a problem, therefore they are staying.

I also have to go through the usual lecture about flossing to remove hobbit bones and elf tendons. Sheesh, what a bore...

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2016, 11:30 sauron

nin wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 11:27:
sauron wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 11:20:
My favorite memory of Duke 3D is flying around a level with a jetpack and maybe turning on noclip, and finding a cave high up on a canyon wall. I went in the cave, and on the wall inside were the words 'You are not supposed to be here'.

I think maybe the Levelord designed that level - not sure. But it (and the rest of the game) were just insanely fun.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was his (thought he even signed it?).

As soon as you said "jetpack" I thought of that exact spot.

edit: Yeah, here we go...

Haha! Yep, he did sign it - you're right.

I found a compilation of all the easter eggs in the game. Here's the link:

D3D easter eggs

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2016, 11:20 sauron

My favorite memory of Duke 3D is flying around a level with a jetpack and maybe turning on noclip, and finding a cave high up on a canyon wall. I went in the cave, and on the wall inside were the words 'You are not supposed to be here'.

I think maybe the Levelord designed that level - not sure. But it (and the rest of the game) were just insanely fun.

Kittens!

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
11. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 13:14 sauron

Kxmode wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 13:02:
sauron wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:51:
I'm too busy with Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity (and maybe Assassin's Creed series) to look at this.

Witcher 3 is great, but the early stages were a bit frustrating. Damn game is so huge that I have trouble getting everything straight. And when I think I have it all figured out, I realize I missed a whole other system (eg crafting). Or I finish a quest and realize it has blocked me from finishing up a bunch of other quests (I'm looking at you, White Orchard). Or I stop to look at a pretty church, and get eaten by a wraith from the graveyard that's like 8 levels above me.

Here's what I did. Do one or two of the main quests then go do a lot of side quests. Think of the main quest as dessert and the side quests and activities as the 4-course meal. If you do that it won't be so overwhelming.

Thanks, I'll do that. I think I'm going to re-load a save from before I got kicked out of White Orchard - just realized the place is full of low level side quests that I completely missed.

Anyone else enjoy the peasants' chat as you ride around the village? They're all gossiping about all sorts of things, and some of it is pretty funny and/or saucy. Very entertaining.

Kittens!

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
8. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 12:51 sauron

I'm too busy with Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity (and maybe Assassin's Creed series) to look at this.

Witcher 3 is great, but the early stages were a bit frustrating. Damn game is so huge that I have trouble getting everything straight. And when I think I have it all figured out, I realize I missed a whole other system (eg crafting). Or I finish a quest and realize it has blocked me from finishing up a bunch of other quests (I'm looking at you, White Orchard). Or I stop to look at a pretty church, and get eaten by a wraith from the graveyard that's like 8 levels above me.

Kittens!

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
22. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 10:45 sauron

I pledged for this as well, although at a lower tier which gives me a digital copy when it comes out. Not really sure why I'm not allowed to beta test the game I helped to back. To do so would cost another $20, which I am not really willing to spend since I already, you know, bought the game.

Also not sure why the developer released the beta and early access editions at around the same time. It's all a little weird. I don't think there's any malice in it, but it has been poorly planned.

But actually, my main concern is that the buzz from the beta/EA so far is positive but apparently there's a lot of broken stuff. I hope the game is not going to be buggy a la Arcanum or ToEE. In the meantime, I have Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity to tide me over. Oh, and I still have PS:T installed on my system if I really get the itch.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2016, 10:30 sauron

Hey Blue, I find that diet, aerobic exercise (brisk walking, cycling) and some free weights get the job done. It's easiest to buy your own weights - a starter set is about $45 and you can build up from there. Although this comes with one important caveat in that you have to know how to use them:

Amazon link

A gym has more options but getting to and from can be a hassle and it's all about repetition and regular exercise.

Kittens!

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 27, 2016, 10:21 sauron

The Rise of the Tomb Raider review link is actually to a review of the technical quality of the PC port. The same site also has a review of the game itself on PC. Here's the link:

PCGamesN RotTR review

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 26, 2016, 12:23 sauron

Yeah, I'm not really keen on the whole VR thing, but if it drives video card technology then by all means go ahead.

The guy that wrote that update, Brad Chacos, seems pretty decent, at least to a non-techie like me. I've read a few of his articles recently since I've been building a PC and thinking to modify another one (mini-ITX build).

Kittens!

News Comments > Over 1M Blade & Soul Players
13. Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 10:17 sauron

Frijoles wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 10:14:
I'd be okay going back to losing a level, although that'd kill raiding.

I remember that kind of thing happening in FFXI during raids. People dying a few times, and deleveling out of their fancy rare/ex armor and weapons. Pretty funny to see the raid boss running around naked in the middle of the group.

Kittens!

News Comments > Over 1M Blade & Soul Players
11. Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 09:30 sauron

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 21:00:
It's certainly boring as shit 99% of the time but Guild Wars 2 definitely made some effort in minimizing the grind to cap by providing multiple avenues in order to do so.

You could actually level to max in GW2 just via crafting. I did it with several alts and it was easy and fun. GW2 was probably the most fun I had leveling in an MMORPG, but it had almost no endgame.

FFXIV is also pretty good - but I had played so many MMORPGs by the time I started it that I was a bit burned out.

Kittens!

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 23, 2016, 21:25 sauron

Thanks for this. I installed Win10 recently and did not realize I had an option for 15GB free storage.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Streets of London Pack
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Streets of London Pack Jan 20, 2016, 15:18 sauron

I got this game free with a coupon when I replaced my video card. Is it any good? I have AC: Black Flag but haven't played it much. Is this one better, or should I stick with Black Flag?

Kittens!

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 20, 2016, 15:17 sauron

Thanks guys!  

Kittens!

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 19, 2016, 12:38 sauron

This looks pretty interesting - is it good? I have a microITX i7-6700k system with a GTX970, and am going to need to keep an eye on temperature and performance. Right now I'm using HWMonitor - is this the same or better?

Thanks for any advice.

Kittens!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2016, 15:49 sauron

Retired wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 12:55:
Buy Carharrt boots, they will last forever and they backup their products.

Or Sorel boots, which I believe are the Minnesota official boot.

I have a pair of Sorel waterproof hiking/winter boots and can confirm that they never quit and look great. Which is good, since Mordor is a bit muddy and it rains all the time.

Kittens!

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Patch Addresses Cheating
4. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Patch Addresses Cheating Jan 13, 2016, 15:45 sauron

I have this game as a freebie after buying a video card, and it looks great. But I do wish it had offline bots so I could get used to the maps before going online.  

Kittens!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2016, 12:19 sauron

Anyone tried using a Steam Link and/or Steam Controller? I just used them to hook up my gaming rig to the TV and they seem to work great, even via wireless network. Gonna try playing Pillars of Eternity on the TV and will report back.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 11, 2016, 14:53 sauron

I'm finally getting to play The Witcher 3 on my new gaming rig. Oh. My. God. I'm hugely impressed so far.

Great graphice, great story, visceral combat, great atmosphere, deep backstory, lots of interesting characters. Just fantastic.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 14:42 sauron

I have used high-end laptops for years (Dell Precision mobile workstations), mainly for work but also for gaming. I logged hours playing Skyrim on one of them, and the graphics were pretty good. But that was when I did a lot more traveling than I do now.

The downsides to those machines can be pretty significant - I had at least two burn out due to heat problems, and they're expensive (around $1800) although mine came from work. You also can't upgrade them. And the 17 inch ones are pretty heavy - it's easier to use a 15 inch machine and hook it up to a 24 inch monitor when at home.

Overall, these days I prefer a lighter laptop, and a regular gaming rig. Right now I'm looking to hook up the gaming rig to the TV, maybe via Steam link. Gaming on a 48 inch TV/monitor, on the couch - now that sounds much more appealing than crouching over a laptop scrren.

Kittens!

1726 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo