Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1849 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 23:02 sauron

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 16:20:
sauron wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 15:53:
Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 13:30:
Typical Ars sensationalism. So science everywhere is suffering because of Trump, eh? Not just a few US scintists who work for the government but all science. Rolleyes

Agreed that's not a very good article. However, there is a strong precedent for science having a rough and rocky time under Republican administrations. For example, NIH funding in my overall research area (Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NINDS) dropped severely under the Bush government, to 9% of all applications for Research Grants, down from 22% of all applications under Clinton. Funding recovered to 15% of all applications under Obama. The same trends occurred throughout the NIH funding apparatus. Bush simply allotted less money to scientific research than the presidents that preceded and followed him.

There are other examples. The most severe was probably Nixon, who went so far as to rescind some federal research grants in healthcare research that had already been awarded. He retrospectively canceled research into new therapies for human disease. That was pretty extreme and had not been seen before, or since.

What are the benefits to public research?

Cutter, c'mon, you're smart, you must have been dreaming when you wrote this. Let me give you an example. Watson and Crick (Cambridge University, UK) were state funded to study the properties of nucleic acids. Their state-funded grants catalyzed the discovery of the structure of DNA, which led directly to the molecular biology revolution that dominates current biological science, and drug development, in the present era. Want to know if a gene is relevant to repair in disease X? Knock it out (or overexpress it) in loss and gain of function studies in cultures in the dish, then repeat these studies in vivo in live animals (fish or mice). This approach has led to hundreds of new therapies for human diseases.

I could give you a thousand other examples of how funding by the US (or UK or Canadian, or Japanese) federal governments has led directly to benefits to human health. The NIH is the worlds largest scientific funding body and was set up specifically to promote research into human health. Successive US presidents have either opened the valve to this funding mechanism (Clinton, Obama), or turned off the flow (Bush).

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2017, 23:24.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor
8. Re: Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor Jan 30, 2017, 22:46 sauron

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:10:
the same source that previously accurately predicted the announcements of both Red Dead Redemption 2 and Last of Us 2

Yeah, but who didn't call those????

Also, I would preorder this in a second if Obsidian is involved.

^ This. If they re-boot the NV environment, bring in Obsidian for story and character plotlines, and (critically) give the development team time to breathe, this could be excellent and I'd be all over it. FO4 looked like it had promise, but the final third was obviously very rushed.

To quote some game developer from the 90s (Carmack? Or maybe CliffyB?), a game is done, when it is done. Dont rush things, and give the developers time.

Now, where did I put tha hobbit-flavored popcorn...?

Kittens!

News Comments > Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week
7. Re: Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week Jan 30, 2017, 22:38 sauron

Task wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:35:
Do hi-rez textures add story and rpg somehow?

^ This

Flatline wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:49:
So I put like 3 or 4 hours into Fallout 4 and walked away. And I'm not sure why, because I can go reinstall New Vegas and put another 15 hours into it without blinking. Something about the game just... felt like a letdown and I don't know what it is.

^ Also this.

I have played everything Bethsoft has released (well, almost, but including Redguard), and something about FO4 just doesn't feel right. I finished the game, but more to get me the heck out of that situation than anything else.

A shame - it could have been so good but the endgame especially was really poor. Worst thing was that the development of the different factions was very uneven. BoS seemed kind of well written but the Railroad faction was really poorly fleshed out.

And beyond that, the whole final third of the game seemed very rushed and unfocused. Disappointing that the game started so well but finished so poorly. Maybe tight development time caught up to them? Glad I got it at half price but even then I almost regretted the purchase. Which is a first for me and a Bethsoft game.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 15:53 sauron

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 13:30:
Typical Ars sensationalism. So science everywhere is suffering because of Trump, eh? Not just a few US scintists who work for the government but all science. Rolleyes

Agreed that's not a very good article. However, there is a strong precedent for science having a rough and rocky time under Republican administrations. For example, NIH funding in my overall research area (Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NINDS) dropped severely under the Bush government, to 9% of all applications for Research Grants, down from 22% of all applications under Clinton. Funding recovered to 15% of all applications under Obama. The same trends occurred throughout the NIH funding apparatus. Bush simply allotted less money to scientific research than the presidents that preceded and followed him.

There are other examples. The most severe was probably Nixon, who went so far as to rescind some federal research grants in healthcare research that had already been awarded. He retrospectively canceled research into new therapies for human disease. That was pretty extreme and had not been seen before, or since.

Kittens!

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
39. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 30, 2017, 15:02 sauron

MattyC wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 02:24:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 01:52:
I have to admit, though, that I never played Planescape Torment

*GASP* You need to get on that ASAP. There are quite a few mods that help it feel more 'modern' if you need any links. Torment is absolutely worth the play.

Seconded. You REALLY should play Planescape:Torment. It's just that good.

Regarding the stretch goals, I don't really care too much about them. The main thing is that the base game has to be excellent, with great gameplay, deep characters, and an immersive and profound story.

Darks wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 15:28:
El Pit wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 14:15:
nin wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 14:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 13:53:
Bwaaahahaha are they sucking ferious??? They delay da game by about two decades and then still deliver only half the shit? Sounds legit ho-humm.

Anyone else relieved you don't have to play the game with cj?

nin, please be more open minded and tolerate chaotic evil characters, too.

Umm, NO! I play Paladin Characters, and we kill Evil characters on sight. Stab

Personally, I play a Chaotic Evil character in many RPGs (and in real life), and take great pleasure in killing Good characters. Especially Paladins. Oh, and Hobbits, of course. Even if the hobbits are also Chaotic Evil.

Kittens!

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 15:34 sauron

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 14:42:
I can't figure out if Trump will actually do something which will get him impeached or not.

Same here. I'll be grabbing the hobbit-flavored popcorn and watching the whole lurid show.

I'm also wondering if he's gonna get fired for something he's already done in his professional or personal life that finally sees the light of day. That guy has even more skeletons in his closet than I do. And I have whole rooms full of closets, that are chock-full of skeletons!!! Some of which are actually pretty good at conversation, but that's a whole other thing...

Kittens!

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 14:22 sauron

Honestly, as the Undead Tyrant Lord of Pain and Murder, even I'd make a better President than this asshole. Rolleyes  

Kittens!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 20:39 sauron

Happy holidays, mortals!

After a dinner of roast Fell Beast (aka a gigantic and somewhat bad-tempered turkey), Ms Sauron #1 and Ms. Sauron #2 are binge-watching Studio Ghibli movies (currently Whisper of the Heart).

Breakfast tomorrow will be hobbit pancakes.

I'm enjoying the break, and look forward to taking over Middle Earth in 2017.

Kittens!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 16:07 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:48:
K, y'all. Serious question:

What's your favorite Christmas movie?

I'm a bit partial to Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas myself.

I rather like The Fellowship of the Ring, with the alternate ending where all the hobbits die.

Oh, and favorite Xmas carol is 'The Twelve Days of Christmas':

On the Fifth day of Christmas, Lord Sauron gave to me, Five Gold Rings!

Mwuahahahahha. Foolish mortals.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 13:08 sauron

RoboNerd wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:56:
Mr. Blue,

Take it from a retired food safety professional - buy yourself a digital probe thermometer. And then USE it.

That goes for all the Bluesnation... Chef

Seconded. I used to be a veterinarian, and we had to do food safety courses and meat inspection training in abattoirs. You do NOT want to see some of the infections coming down that line.

Needless to say I now choose my cuts of hobbit VERY carefully, and have my slaves cook them well.

Kittens!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2016, 14:43 sauron

Pigeon wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 14:23:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 13:53:
the you-know-what test...

Fertility test?

A Turing test, can Blue tell if it's a human doctor or a sophisticated android that links to WebMD.

The "What Undead Creature Are You" Test

Hint: I'm a Lich.

Kittens!

News Comments > Torment in February
10. Re: Torment in February Dec 15, 2016, 10:07 sauron

nin wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 08:30:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 00:40:
I'm a backer. I'm excited for this. Have not played any of the early release iterations.

Yeah, I thought about checking out the beta, but decided I'd rather see it in a released state. Looking forward to it...

Same here - I backed this and am looking forward to it. I still have PS:T installed on almost every computer at Barad-Dur.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2016, 15:48 sauron

Pigeon wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 13:27:
sauron wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 12:32:
Chilis (jarred or fresh, sliced and seeded)
1 Alarm: No peppers
3 Alarm: 5 oz hot jalapeno peppers
5 Alarm: Hot: Three habanero peppers and a few jalapenos or some chipoltle
Weapons grade: Seven habanero peppers

I had a successful growing season here on the windowsills of Barad-Dur. My habanero plant had a field day and produced 15 or so nice ripe chilis, and my scotch bonnet plant is also producing a crop right now.

Any suggestions of the best way to use these little bombs is welcome. Chili would be good but I'm vegetarian (no, really!). I do eat fish and seafood (so pescatarian, I guess).

Anyone have a killer (not literally) hot sauce recipe?

Thanks!

But you still eat hobbits right? After all they're basically the same thing as shrimp.

Absolutely, they definitely count as shrimp. And elves count as vegetables.

I did think of having habanero-stuffed hobbit. Aside from the deliciousness of the dish, hearing them squeal as they ate the habaneros would be priceless!

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 14:50:
3-4 cups chopped chilis (fresh)
2 cups chopped tomato (fresh)
1/2 cup chopped onion (fresh)
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2 tblspn olive oil
fresh chopped herbs of your choice (cilantro, oregano and thyme work quite well)

puree in a blender until smooth and silky

Thank you! I will try this.

Kittens!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2016, 12:32 sauron

Chilis (jarred or fresh, sliced and seeded)
1 Alarm: No peppers
3 Alarm: 5 oz hot jalapeno peppers
5 Alarm: Hot: Three habanero peppers and a few jalapenos or some chipoltle
Weapons grade: Seven habanero peppers

I had a successful growing season here on the windowsills of Barad-Dur. My habanero plant had a field day and produced 15 or so nice ripe chilis, and my scotch bonnet plant is also producing a crop right now.

Any suggestions of the best way to use these little bombs is welcome. Chili would be good but I'm vegetarian (no, really!). I do eat fish and seafood (so pescatarian, I guess).

Anyone have a killer (not literally) hot sauce recipe?

Thanks!

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2016, 14:40 sauron

"Suicide Squad" Eviscerated In Honest Trailer.

I laughed pretty hard at this, thanks for posting it. Funny thing is, I really enjoyed Suicide Squad, but didn't really like Captain America: Civil War.

I guess we bad guys have to stick together.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 PvP Revamp and Wintersday Next Week
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Revamp and Wintersday Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 14:31 sauron

I played GW2 for quite a while, hit level cap on multiple characters and got my Legendary weapon, etc. I had an absolute blast in PvE.

And I had even more of a blast in multiplayer. WvWvW is probably the best form of PvP I have tried, in any game, ever. Running around as part of the Jade Quarry server army was just incredibly fun.

If anyone hasn't played GW2 and is even slightly intrigued by the idea, then definitely give it a shot. It's great.

Kittens!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2016, 11:56 sauron

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 10:44:

UT99 was fucking awesome, and still my favorite of the series. Played the hell out of Morpheus and Facing Worlds...

You and me both, nin. Facing Worlds UT99 CTF is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in gaming. Just so fun!

Kittens!

News Comments > GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated
8. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 1, 2016, 13:48 sauron

panbient wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 12:33:
sauron wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:37:
Hordes of the Underdark. One of my favorite CRPG stories ever. It was ace.

I preferred Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2 but I can't count how many times I played through HotU back in the day. I've already bought NWN a few times but I'll definitely tag it to my GOG account for the future.

The visuals might be a bit dated as it's a 3d engine from the early 2000s but I cannot recommend Neverwinter Nights enough to anyone who's ever remotely enjoyed a D&D game.

Same here. My only minor gripe is that the vanilla campaign that comes with the game isn't that great. Just go straight for the expansions, or some of the user-created modules, which are much, much better.

Strangely, I could never get into Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2 - no idea why. It looks as though it should be really fun, and the reviews were excellent.

Kittens!

News Comments > GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated
4. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 1, 2016, 11:37 sauron

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:20:
That underdark expansion for NWN was the freaking BOMB. Can't remember what it was called, but it was just amazing.

Hordes of the Underdark. One of my favorite CRPG stories ever. It was ace.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2016, 16:57 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 16:20:
sauron wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 12:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 12:25:
sauron wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 12:22:
Guys, I'm trying to file a claim for my two NVidia GTX970 cards per the class action:

NVidia class action

But the site is not allowing me to upload proofs of purchase. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks!
Use a different browser. What did google say?

I tried Chrome and Firefox. I guess I could try IE but I'm not sure I even have it installed...
#Never_IE

The webmaster responsible for this outrage has been duly impaled, and now hangs sadly outside the gate of Barad-Dur.

Customer serviced indeed.

Kittens!

1849 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo