Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1815 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 11:03 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on May 18, 2016, 10:53:
sauron wrote on May 18, 2016, 10:44:
I'm not a techie, but those 1070 specs don't look bad to me at all. And $379 is not out of range for a lot of gamers.

Anyone care to comment who knows more about these things?

Without looking at the specs, I would wait for a few hobbits to thoroughly benchmark the new card.

Or, the orks can benchmark the new cards, while I relax with a freshly-squeezed glass of hobbit juice.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 10:44 sauron

I'm not a techie, but those 1070 specs don't look bad to me at all. And $379 is not out of range for a lot of gamers.

Anyone care to comment who knows more about these things?

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2016, 10:41 sauron

But you can't make an omelet without killing a few chefs, so...

I'll vouch for that!

Kittens!

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
69. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 18, 2016, 08:56 sauron

eRe4s3r wrote on May 17, 2016, 17:25:
Still.. the 1070 benchmarks are the real interesting meat, since this card is 700$... that's about 300 orks more than I would ever pay for a GPU

Same here. The GTX970 has worked well for me because it gives great performance and isn't completely ridiculous in terms of price. If the 1070 does that too and gives a significant performance boost allowing regular use of 4K, I'll think about it. Otherwise I'll wait until the next gen.

Kittens!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Revealed
28. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Revealed May 18, 2016, 08:38 sauron

I'll be getting this, I love RPGs and the first one was excellent. The only flaws were the long load times and the fact that the cleric PC was super annoying.

Other than that, the game mechanics played well, characters were well developed and I loved the story. So much gaming goodness.

Kittens!

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Four
11. Re: Diablo III Turns Four May 16, 2016, 15:31 sauron

I played Torchlight 2 instead of this. LAN party in that game is just incredibly fun.  

Kittens!

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
12. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 14:14 sauron

Nucas wrote on May 16, 2016, 13:28:
PHJF wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:43:
... updating the user interface and graphics to use a modern day engine (Unity).

Wouldn't call Unity a "modern engine," except in the sense it is built for the "modern" ipad gamer.

oh?

Wow, great footage. Thanks for the link.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked?
7. Re: Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked? May 16, 2016, 11:33 sauron

I like the Steam sales, but this summer I get the feeling everyone will be playing Overwatch. I might even have to send the orcs over to Blizzard to extort a few copies.

We did also try extortion at the local Gamestop, but it didn't work. Impalement is an improvement over their usual dayjob, apparently.

Kittens!

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
28. Re: 2 conflicting sources May 16, 2016, 11:27 sauron

I used to hate Acer stuff too, but then bought their A500 pad a few years ago and it turned out to be a real workhorse. Then I picked up one of their monitors on sale about 8 months ago after reading a LOT of reviews and it's been great.

I am very very picky about hardware and build my own systems, and I'm not brand loyal. Until recently I would not have looked at Acer hardware since the reviews were nowhere near good enough, but these days they seem to have picked up.

Kittens!

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
6. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 11:03 sauron

This looks great. I'm all in.  

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 12:56 sauron

Blue wrote on May 12, 2016, 12:06:
Cutter wrote on May 12, 2016, 11:32:
America: The last holdout from the metric system.

Join us! JOIN US! One of us! One of us! Gooba gobba! Gooba gobba!

But I don't wanna be a pinhead no more!

I just met a nurse that I could go for.

Gabba-gabba-hey, gabba-gabba-hey

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 12, 2016, 10:52 sauron

Creston wrote on May 12, 2016, 10:22:
Not the smartest place to sue. Gawker will have 0 dollars left once Hogan gets his payday. I have also literally never heard of Shivva Ayadurai, and always believed Ray Tomlinson to have invented email.

Seems more like a "Hey, see if you can get me some cash too!" type of deal.

Yep, as far as I know they are already broke, and deservedly so.

Kittens!

33. Re: Thermally unstable felines May 11, 2016, 15:03 sauron

nin wrote on May 11, 2016, 15:02:
sauron wrote on May 11, 2016, 14:58:
Hey, completely off-topic, but did anyone else see this for Android/Mac?

Exploding kittens game

Since I have a serious beef with fluffy kittens, I may have to check this out.

Based off the kickstarter card game!

Yep, but in this version you actually get to watch them blow up!!

Kittens!

31. Thermally unstable felines May 11, 2016, 14:58 sauron

Hey, completely off-topic, but did anyone else see this for Android/Mac?

Exploding kittens game

Since I have a serious beef with fluffy kittens, I may have to check this out.

Kittens!

25. Re: Quiet PC build May 11, 2016, 13:41 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on May 11, 2016, 13:24:
The 2012 model came with w/3 fans, it's all black, no bling or windows.

I beg to differ. Much as I love the color black, here in Mordor the Nazgul use blue Corsair LED fans, while the orcs/goblins use those horrible Noctua 1970's brown/beige fans which remind me of Smokey and the Bandit:

Boogie Down

They look utterly nasty (unless you're an orc, or stuck in a timewarp to 1974), but are completely silent.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 10:40 sauron

I built this machine (i5 4590, 500GBSSD, GTX970, 16GB RAM) about 6 months ago, and just used stock cooling and plenty of fans. It's very quiet, almost completely silent. The key was to plug the fans into the motherboard fan headers rather than the PSU since that way they're running at optimal speeds rather than maximum all the time. And paying close attention to direction of airflow, from low down and in front of the case, to above and the rear of the case. Good cable management also helps a bit. As does a good quality power supply, although that latter mainly for my peace of mind. And an SSD is great - quiet and oh so quick. And Arctic Silver rather than the manufacturer's goop pad that comes on most of the stock and aftermarket CPU coolers.

If I was building one now, I'd go with liquid cooling, nice big dampened case, and good quality fans plugged directly into the board. Best resource I found was pcpartpicker, since you can see and price up different builds:

Linkie

I also have an i7 6700k GTX970 500GB SSD mini ITX plugged into a 4k UHD TV but that was a commercial unit and I think I'll have to re-house it. It's kind of loud. The case it came in is worryingly small and only has a couple fans, plus the CPU is on stock. Will probably move it to a Thermaltake V1 and Corsair H60/90 liquid cooler, with NZXT fans for the win.

Good luck!

This comment was edited on May 11, 2016, 10:49.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2016, 13:04 sauron

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2016, 12:06:
Swale plans to launch an IndieGoGo campaign to keep the garden barge project afloat through the summer.

“We want to show that healthy, fresh food can be a free public service,” Swale creator Mary Mattingly told Tech Insider, “not just an expensive commodity, and something that for not much work and effort, a city could supply.”

Clearly she doesn't understand what "free" means. And how is this healthy and green when you have a massive polluting tug towing it around. Or who knows what that barge could be leaching into the soil. Things like this require more than just good intentions.

We also do our part for Ecology here in the Jackson Heights area of Mordor/NYC. The orcs like to garden out back of the Tower. We have an especially good crop of Assassin Vines this year - helps keep the local hobbit population under control.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2016, 12:52 sauron

MrGrosser wrote on May 10, 2016, 10:41:
You guys should Twitch stream these things. I'd watch.

I did actually watch a stream of the Heroes of the Storm game Blue mentioned last month that he and his buds were part of:

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/170616/out-of-the-blue

It was fun and I'd definitely watch more of that kind of thing, even if only to see games I don't usually play.

As for Overwatch, I think I'm gonna have to get it on release. It looks like it's a blast. Am guessing it's going to sell a lot of copies.

Kittens!

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month?
8. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month? May 9, 2016, 13:13 sauron

nin wrote on May 9, 2016, 10:38:
Xil wrote on May 9, 2016, 10:32:
Sooooo looking forward to this

More content is always welcome, but I've pretty much accepted I will never complete this game...too many side quests and too much OCD.

I do hope the city is big...

You and me both nin. By the time I finally completed Skyrim, it was May 2015!

I will finish Witcher 3. It's going to take quite a while but it will be worth it.

Kittens!

5. Re: Blu-ray suggestions? May 9, 2016, 13:10 sauron

BobBob wrote on May 9, 2016, 13:01:
I understand your pain. I have an arthritis that threatens to fuse my vertebrae. The only way to prevent disability is to keep moving, hence the obsession with cycling and exercise. Though on certain days - usually before it rains - when there is a flare up, my body feels like a torch due to rampant inflammation. What's weird is it even affects my eyesight. On occasion, it's so bad I literally can't walk.

Ouch, that sounds very painful. Not wanting to intrude but has your doc checked for underlying causes? Unlikely, but sometimes arthritis and linked uveitis can be part of RA, psoriatic arthritis or Sjogrens. Anyhow, hope you're alright.

Kittens!

1815 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo