Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1723 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 11:26 sauron

I don't think you should feel cheap about asking for an evaluation unit, Blue. The site has been online for almost 20 years and has had over 900 million visitors. I'd have thought the manufacturers would love the attention.  

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2016, 13:33 sauron

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 13:16:
PHJF wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 12:48:
Therein lies the problem, because you and $170M worth of US viewers *also* saw his movie last weekend, when everyone knew it would be bad and everyone who'd already seen it said it was bad.

I admit I regret supporting this monstrosity. I doubt it'll have any legs past the weekend though. I wouldn't have watched it normally, my gut was definitely saying (screaming) no. But some members of the group wanted to go and inertia took over. Might be the worst movie I've ever seen, and I've seen turds like 300 Rise of a Nation and Blues Brothers 2000.

It took $424 million worldwide over the weekend, apparently. We'll have an avalanche of awful superhero sequels next summer. I never go to those movies and wish there were better options at the local cineplex.

Although no more Lord of the Rings movies, please. I'm sick of those too, even though I'm the star!

Kittens!

News Comments > Atari Vault Opened
6. Re: Atari Vault Opened Mar 25, 2016, 11:25 sauron

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 25, 2016, 10:46:
considering the metric ton's of quarters I gave Atari during the 80's they should give me a copy.

LOL, same here. Looks fun, but missing a lot of the arcade classics I used to enjoy so much. I guess those IP don't belong to Atari.

So no Defender, Scramble, Galaxians, Galaga, Dig-Dug or Pac-Man, or variants thereof. And no Space Invaders.

Ooh, but it does have Red Baron, so yay! Although no Battlezone, so boo!

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2016, 11:21 sauron

mch wrote on Mar 25, 2016, 10:27:
Updated my bookmark yesterday and no problems whatsoever.

Same here, seems to be working fine.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 17:09 sauron

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 16:36:
nin wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 15:58:
What do they use for liquid cooling in Mordor?

The blood of elves, natch.

Either that or hobbit juice. The IT Department has an on-site Thermaltake Hobbit Squeezer for exactly that purpose.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 15:02 sauron

The Anandtech article on CPUs is interesting, thanks for posting the link.

They make the point that only 1% of the PC gaming community has the hardware to run VR at the moment, which means anyone trying to make the jump is going to have to shell out for the headset plus the hardware upgrade.

And even of the folks that do have a VR-capable setup, how many are really going to make the jump? I already have the PC hardware and feel absolutely no desire to buy into VR, at least not now.

Kittens!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2016, 08:32 sauron

This will probably be settled out of court. She has an excellent case for wrongful dismissal, and the school district probably doesn't have much of a defense. Plus at the time they fired her, no action had been taken against the student involved.

Plus, the article states that 'Following the incident, Arthur (the teacher) said four of the photos taken from her phone were printed out and put in her mailbox, with a threatening message on the back of one of them. The sheriff’s office is investigating that as well.'. The student involved is now facing felony charges, thank goodness.

That teacher probably won't teach again, but she will be very well compensated.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Previews
3. Re: Morning Previews Mar 23, 2016, 22:27 sauron

Task wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 15:38:
Didn't read that one, but I'm liking what I'm reading about Tyranny in those articles and other sites with more tidbits, which I prefer to call "Tyrant."

- apparently between 20-30 hours
- tighter focus with heavy emphasis on reactivity encouraging multiple plays (lots of C&C hopefully)
- how you create your characters background changes drastic parts of the game, even the environment
(top down, isometric Alpha Protocol?)
- 4 character party (how you interact with them determines combo specialty too)
- Classless system (equip a dagger and your char gets gud with it with constant use)
- real-time with pause
- Bronze Age/Iron Age type setting with Fantasy elements, in a Mediterranean type art style

Seems kinda edgy, like Obsidian are pushing the envelope. After PoE I'll probably play anything they develop - it's the best isometric RPG since Planescape Torment. But I hope they don't overextend themselves.

Kittens!

News Comments > GOG.com Insomnia Sale
13. Re: GOG.com Insomnia Sale Mar 22, 2016, 15:11 sauron

Tachikoma wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 05:23:
Jeez, it`s just a sale, get over it.

My only problem is the same like with all their sales - repetitive deals. It`s the same fare with same prices just like in the last sale (not too long ago) and the one before, and the one bef...

Same here. I did pick up Divinity: Original Sin for 40% off, and X-Wing Alliance for 50% off, so am not complaining.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 22:55 sauron

I'm not in for March Madness, but the 2016 European soccer championships are hitting in June and I am really interested. Any other soccer fans on Blues, or is it just me?  

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 14:53 sauron

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 14:33:
BobBob wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 13:52:
A true "intellectual" nerd rarely gets involved in petty gossip or social drama. First of all, that requires social skills. And second, well, let's just stick with the first point...

It also makes one feel like they're killing brain cells if they engage in such tomfoolery.

Who is this Olivia Munn? I don't really see much of popular culture. Spend too much time playing Pillars of Eternity and reading books on biotechnology and Dungeons and Dragons... And eating hobbits, of course.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 12:28 sauron

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 11:10:
Look on the bright side, sauron. It could be worse, you could be a Sixers fan...

No, the Knicks are worse. They're like the Sixers this year, EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Plus, James Dolan. And Isiah Thomas, lol.

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Visions in the Dark Next Month
5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Visions in the Dark Next Month Mar 18, 2016, 12:21 sauron

Is this the expansion that makes it good?  

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 11:05 sauron

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 10:53:
The Knicks could probably win March Madness, but they would have a rough time of it.

I dunno, I'm not even sure they could make the final four. They're getting a little better under Phil Jackson, but it's still like watching a flaming train wreck in progress, every single season.

Kittens!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 10:37 sauron

And let's not even get started on the Knicks...  

Kittens!

News Comments > Lawmakers Dropping F2P; Launching on Steam
9. Re: Lawmakers Dropping F2P; Launching on Steam Mar 18, 2016, 00:10 sauron

Cliffy's always been kind of prone to trying too hard - sure as hell hope he stopped dying his hair all those different colors. But he did have good instincts back then, and had a big role in Unreal, UT99, UT2004 and UT3. Those are some of my favorite multiplayer shooters of all time (Unreal MP was kind of insane), and this trailer looks OK. Any inside info on an alpha build?

These days, I have CS:GO, RSS and a couple other MP shooters on my HD but they are all gathering dust. If something less obvious, more abstracted and more fun were to come along, I might pick it up.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 12:32 sauron

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 12:09:
Why would the power of poop surprise me. Huey Lewis wrote a song about it. Oh wait, that was love.

Yeah, fecal transplants are apparently really effective for treating C.difficile infections, which previously had killed a high percentage of the patients that had them.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 11:47 sauron

BobBob wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 11:00:
I have O'Brien, Watson, and variety of other Irish and English surnames on both sides of the family genealogy. When I lived in Europe I was often asked if I came from the UK.

I am half Welsh, which is close enough to Irish to enjoy St Paddy's Day. Cheers to all!

The other half of me is Nazgul, obviously.

Oh, and yes to the Patreon thing. I'd be in for it. Been coming here since 2001.

Kittens!

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 16, 2016, 21:41 sauron

Wow, I didn't realize he was such a respected academic.

I have the first two of those games, and really enjoyed them a lot. The combination of the puzzles and the art style is just so addictive and fun.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2016, 23:56 sauron

I'm not a big fan of DST, although Mrs. Sauron, Shelob and the Nazgul don't even seem to notice it. And the orcs and uruk-hai can't even tell the time of day, of course, lol.

But the Fell Beasts really hate waking up on DST Sunday, so we always make sure to have a nice big batch of hobbits waiting for them. Nothing beats a good breakfast!

Kittens!

1723 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo