Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1893 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: What’s the Longest Humans Can Live- 115 Years, New Study Says. Oct 7, 2016, 14:58 sauron

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 00:03:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 00:03:
sauron wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 15:13:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 14:56:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 13:04:
The Bible's view and the belief of millions are that humans have the capacity to live much longer than 115 years. The Bible states we have the capacity to live forever and were designed to do just that. It even says in Ecclesiastes 3:11 that God "has even put eternity in their heart," which explains why so many people believe they can live forever today. Unfortunately, inherited Adamic sin mars our ability to do so. (Romans 5:12) The good news is this miserable condition will soon be expunged. (Romans 6:23; Revelation 21:4) After that, age, cellular degradation, and a multitude of other infirmities will no longer have a stranglehold on our lives. We will, in effect, have perpetual lifespans.

I know many of you don't hold these views. I would kindly ask that you be tolerant of a point of view you don't have.

Humans will live hundreds of years in the future. There are already examples of longevity in nature: trees that live 1000s of years, animals that live 100s of years. We already understand many of the mechanisms to make this occur, even if we yet don't have the technology to implement it. It raises all kinds of moral questions, such as the freedom to reproduce, and how to manage essentially immortal populations. Some movies have tried to address this, like In Time.

And if science doesn't work, there's always ritual hobbit sacrifice and unspeakable dark magic. Refreshing and wholesome!

Ya know... your history with hobbits and dark magic really doesn't work out well for you in the end. I suspect there is a coffee mug on your desk saying something like "I would have ruled the world if not for those hobbits's" with Smegals picture on it.

Well yes, there is that. Our response has been to obliterate the little blighters from the face of (Middle) Earth, but they just keep breeding! They're worse than bunny rabbits!

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2016, 14:54 sauron

I finished up a big project yesterday and have taken today off. Reading the Delta Green RPG and may watch a little Stranger Things later. Very relaxing.

Have a great weekend everyone (except you hobbits!).

Kittens!

10. Re: What’s the Longest Humans Can Live- 115 Years, New Study Says. Oct 6, 2016, 15:13 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 14:56:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 13:04:
The Bible's view and the belief of millions are that humans have the capacity to live much longer than 115 years. The Bible states we have the capacity to live forever and were designed to do just that. It even says in Ecclesiastes 3:11 that God "has even put eternity in their heart," which explains why so many people believe they can live forever today. Unfortunately, inherited Adamic sin mars our ability to do so. (Romans 5:12) The good news is this miserable condition will soon be expunged. (Romans 6:23; Revelation 21:4) After that, age, cellular degradation, and a multitude of other infirmities will no longer have a stranglehold on our lives. We will, in effect, have perpetual lifespans.

I know many of you don't hold these views. I would kindly ask that you be tolerant of a point of view you don't have.

Humans will live hundreds of years in the future. There are already examples of longevity in nature: trees that live 1000s of years, animals that live 100s of years. We already understand many of the mechanisms to make this occur, even if we yet don't have the technology to implement it. It raises all kinds of moral questions, such as the freedom to reproduce, and how to manage essentially immortal populations. Some movies have tried to address this, like In Time.

And if science doesn't work, there's always ritual hobbit sacrifice and unspeakable dark magic. Refreshing and wholesome!

Kittens!

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
5. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 5, 2016, 21:41 sauron

Loved the pitch movie, very tempted.  

Kittens!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2016, 21:27 sauron

Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 11:49:
nin wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 11:25:
Wasteland 3 live! https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3#about

Thanks, pledged. They made some mistakes but still really delivered with Wasteland 2, the DC was really nice. Looking forward to a more refined WL3.

I play mainly RPGs (OK, almost exclusively RPGs), but was a bit put off by the reviews of Wasteland 2, which seemed decent but frustrated by bugs and some other issues. Is the DC worth getting? The buzz seems very positive, much better than for the original release, and I think I may have missed a good title.

I did enjoy Pillars of Eternity but still have to finish Witcher 3 (so good!), Divinity:OS and Enderal (um, and X-Wing:Alliance). And a replay of Planescape:Torment in the widescreen format. Is it likely to be in that league?

Oh, and I did back Torment: Tides of Numenara, by the same team.

Thanks for any advice!

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2016, 21:33.

Kittens!

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Specs
22. Re: Gears of War 4 Specs Oct 5, 2016, 18:18 sauron

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 16:46:
4K resolution is kind of a joke. Unless you have a 50+ inch monitor you probably won't see much difference. I have a 4k monitor next to a 1080 one and it is really hard to tell the difference between them.

So I guess if you play on a big 4k TV or monitor you will see a difference, but if you are using desktop monitors, it is a waste of money.

I also store most of my games on a hard disk, the SSD just houses games that I most actively play. Rather easy to move these games around if you have steam. Storing all your games on a SSD just tells me you are lazy.

I have an i7 6700k GTX970 rig hooked up to a 55 inch 4k TV with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a Steam controller. Sadly though, it's not my main gaming computer. I mean, it plays the titles I own well enough, but at 4k on that screen the text tends to be really small, even when I increase its size to maximum.

I can be kinda fun for the right games - ones that don't use much text. Unfortunately I prefer deep RPGs and end up squinting at the screen to find out what the heck is going on.

Kittens!

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Specs
4. Re: Gears of War 4 Specs Oct 5, 2016, 12:18 sauron

Nimh wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 12:13:
80GB! Doom and DX:MD are taking up 110Gb with no DLC, another 10Gb for Overwatch and my game drive is just about tapped out.

I need to rethink my future game storage if this keeps up. I was thinking of a 500Gb SSD for both Windows and games, but at this rate 750 Gb or higher might be needed.

(Not to mention 80Gb is 1/4 of my monthly bandwidth..)

Same here. I'm using a 500GB SSD on this machine, and it's not enough. I need to either get a bigger one, or add a second HD.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2016, 12:34 sauron

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 4, 2016, 12:02:
Blue... we are old.. please don't carbon date us. If we get any older they will put us in the Smithsonian.

Eh, after the first couple of thousand years you just get used to it. Although it helps if you have rust-proof armor, and a few undead slaves to do the dusting...

Hey, has anyone played Enderal? The new Skyrim TC. It's pretty darn good, and much easier to install than I had expected.

Kittens!

News Comments > Space Odyssey Presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson
3. Re: Space Odyssey Presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson Oct 3, 2016, 12:19 sauron

Might have to play this here at Barad-Dur. Orcs In Space for the win!

Kittens!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2016, 10:21 sauron

nin wrote on Oct 3, 2016, 10:03:
I'm very sorry for your loss, sauron.

I also giggled, while typing that sentence above, and now I feel bad.

Thanks, and I giggled when I read it too.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2016, 09:58 sauron

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2016, 20:13:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 2, 2016, 19:55:
as a lover of comedy I'd have to say he was one of my icon's growing up (and for my parents growing up).

I know what you mean, he was very iconic. My mother loved him too, and she died a few months before he did, and I specifically remember thinking I'm glad she didn't have to hear that news, as she would have been absolutely crushed.

Should I skip reading it nin?

I mean, if you want to know why he did it, it pretty much explains it. His brain was under attack, and it sounds like it wasn't going to get better. I can't really blame him.

My stepfather died of the same thing, Lewy body dementia with Parkinsonism, just over a year ago. In his case, it included hallucinations, ataxia (Parkinson's-like difficulty in walking and balance), insomnia, and towards the end, scratching and biting. A few weeks before he died, he woke up screaming in the middle of the night, convinced his bedroom was filling with water and he was drowning.

It's a horrible disease which kills 100% of patients and is so stressful for the caregivers that many of them go down as well. No wonder Robin Williams ended things the way he did.

Kittens!

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Trailer
13. Re: Battlefield 1 Trailer Oct 3, 2016, 09:49 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Oct 3, 2016, 01:07:
nin wrote on Oct 2, 2016, 14:25:
If they had bots for multi, I'd lock this down in a heartbeat. As it is, I guess I'm waiting for a price for the SP campaign.

This. And I know we're not the only ones. BF forums have many threads requesting this.

Same here. I really liked BF1942 bots, and used them to learn the ropes before jumping on the MP servers.

I did have a TON of fun in pub matches but sometimes it's good to just kick back, dial down the settings and use a botmatch to figure out all the details of a map.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 13:58 sauron

nin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:55:
heroin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:49:
HBO Chief Keen On "Thrones" Spin-Offs.

ME TOO

We got Luke Cage on NF, WestWorld on HBO, and I still have 4 episodes of Mr Robot this weekend...

Golden age of tv...

I'm in the middle of watching Stranger Things at the moment and boy is it good. I'm really enjoying it.

Also enjoying Penny Dreadful season 3, although it's so similar to life here at Barad-Dur that for the first season I thought it was a reality show...

Kittens!

News Comments > Non-Lethal Dishonored 2 Trailer
1. Re: Non-Lethal Dishonored 2 Trailer Sep 30, 2016, 10:50 sauron

This looks really interesting. I think it's more challenging to play games like this and the DX series as non-lethal combatants. And the graphics look really nice as well. Might have to pick this one up when it comes out.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Battleborn F2P Rumor
14. Re: Battleborn F2P Rumor Sep 30, 2016, 09:43 sauron

MattyC wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 01:32:
ViRGE wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 22:54:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 22:32:
MattyC wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 20:43:
deqer wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 20:13:
If you want your game to really fail, make it F2P. People love grinding for their stuff.

Some games have gone F2P and made it work (Guild Wars 2 and StarWars TOR and multiple MOBAs for example), but I really don't see it working here.

To be precise, both Guild Wars games have always been free to play once you purchased the game itself.
Which is Buy To Play. Free To Play is fundamentally different, and in an important way.

You can still buy the game, but it just unlocks different features. I would call that F2P. You can download it right now and play the game for nothing.

Guild Wars 2 for free is an absolute steal. One of the best RPGs I have played, MMO or not. Really fun.

Kittens!

News Comments > Portal/Half-Life Movie News Nears?
17. Re: Portal/Half-Life Movie News Nears? Sep 29, 2016, 14:30 sauron

From /reddit:

You've been on here for five years, is this really the first time you've seen a "this man should play Gordon Freeman" post? Bryan Cranston, Hugh Laurie, Edward Norton, twice now Charlie Sheen, If you're white have at some point had facial hair and glasses and alive, reddit will fan cast you...

For some reason that just cracks me up.

Kittens!

News Comments > Portal/Half-Life Movie News Nears?
6. Re: Portal/Half-Life Movie News Nears? Sep 29, 2016, 11:06 sauron

Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 10:33:
Half-Life would make a pretty good action adventure movie, but Portal would only work as an action comedy in my opinion.

Portal could make for a great Pixar movie - really fun.

Kittens!

9. Re: Pharma Bro... Sep 28, 2016, 18:38 sauron

Coffee In A Cone Is About To Be The Next Big Food Craze.

Here in Mordor, the Next Big Food Craze is hobbit-flavored ice cream.

Delicious, wholesome and refreshing, although kind of high in cholesterol.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2016, 16:06 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:47:
sauron wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 11:09:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 11:00:
Manage to watch an hour of the debate last night before I had to turn it off or put my head through a wall to alleviate the pain of watching it. The fact that either of is where they are today, and one of them is actually going to be prez, absolutely boggles the mind. Boggles...the...mind!

Wall

I could only manage 30 seconds at a time before having to turn it off. It was even soul-crushingly depressing with the sound muted!

You know the situation in the country is getting seriously weird when an episode of Penny Dreaful seems more realistic than the presidential debate.

Seeing that you are Sauron, The Dark Lord Lord Of Earth, I would have thought you would revel in it.

Those candidates are better at inflicting agony than my chief torturer. I was quite impressed.

Kittens!

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
36. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 15:14 sauron

dsmart wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 14:06:
It still works. I just tend to lurk more because when I post about Star Citizen, everything just goes to shit - immediately.

LOL! Well played!

Kittens!

1893 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo