Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1953 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 14
1. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 14 Jul 3, 2018, 13:10 sauron

Yikes, only two of those games are for Switch. Nintendo needs to keep momentum...  

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2018, 13:08 sauron

I hope they get out safely. Their parents must have been beside themselves with worry.

As the proud dad of Ms. Sauron #1 and Ms. Sauron #2 (also known as Thing 1 and Thing 2), I can definitely empathize.

Overall, I am just really glad they got found, and have medical care and nutrition. Also quite proud they were found by British divers, since like most movie villains, I am a Brit.

Kittens!

News Comments > The Crew 2 Launches
5. Re: The Crew 2 Launches Jun 29, 2018, 11:33 sauron

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 10:38:
- Worse map than before
- Still overly arcadey physics
- Even worse rubber banding.

Welp, there goes my interest.

GTA Online has this stuff figured out, so why doesnít an online-focused driving game that costs $60? Ubisoft says a December update will add PvP, but itís bewildering that they didnít launch the game with such basic multiplayer functionality.

DECEMBER! It's fucking JUNE, Ubisoft! "Hey, don't worry, we'll sort of make this into an actual game in six months or so."

Fuck these assholes.

ANother Ubisoft game (The Division) opens on one of my systems as a background process, and I can't play it. Other folks are having a similar problem. Ubi post-sales support have not been great, and it's clear their testing QA is awful.

I won't be buying any more of their games, period.

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2018, 10:19 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 17:47:
sauron wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 17:36:
So I was out shopping for a pair of sneakers today, since I couldn't get the blood out of the last pair. Kind of an occupational hazard here in Mordor...
selzer water and lemon for blood, or wear red

Thank you!

Kittens!

News Comments > Pathfinder: Kingmaker Publishing Deal
4. Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker Publishing Deal Jun 29, 2018, 09:21 sauron

This looks good. I read part of the PF Kingmaker Adventure Path when it came out, and it's a smart choice to turn it into a CRPG. The other ones I might have chosen would have been Curse of the Crimson Throne, or maybe Hell's Rebels.  

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2018, 17:36 sauron

So I was out shopping for a pair of sneakers today, since I couldn't get the blood out of the last pair. Kind of an occupational hazard here in Mordor...

Anyhow, I wandered into a store in the neighborhood, and they had kind of a crappy selection, but then I noticed they also had Dr. Marten's 1460 oxblood boots... for $19.99! Like, the original counterculture kicks, which routinely sell for $140 US. Needless to say, I picked up a pair smartish. I guess that store doesn't know what they have. The clientele is mainly in there for cheap sneakers and heels.

Anyhow, I now look even more intimidating than usual. nin would be proud. Caveat Vendor!

Kittens!

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2018, 17:29 sauron

Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:50:
sauron wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 16:17:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:38:
Revised system build.

New: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - Rated the top mobo by several sites
New: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - Rated the top SSD by several places
Keeping: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor - I don't plan on overclocking

I looked at several benchmarks for the 1080ti, and by all accounts they are impressive. Even more impressive is the 1080ti performs on-par or better in specific tests against the double-priced Titan X. The build above will give me at least 60 FPS with maxed settings in 4K. I am anticipating prices to drop over the next 12 months. My hope is the Volta-series 2080ti releasing some time this year will result in the 1080ti falling into the $400-$500 range, and push the build back on-par with my budget expectation of ~$1,500. I welcome your feedback and thoughts.

My thoughts:

The Uruk-Hai will be over to your place shortly to confiscate your system, which is clearly illegal in that it kicks the ass of all of our machines here at Barad-Dur. Especially the HD, mobo and CPU, not to mention the delicious GPU *commence ethereal drooling*.

In recognition of your donation to the cause of Mordor, it is likely that you may not be disemboweled (*this promise is not legally binding*).

If we are especially pleased, you may also receive a free hobbit (*or not, depending on supply, and upon number of hungry hench-creatures*).

Thank you and have a nice day.

Far over the budget's cold
To snack bowls deep and mancaves old
We must away, ere break of day
To build our pale enchanted gold!

The gamers of yore made mighty builds,
While Philips fell like ringing bells
In cases deep, where fast things creep,
In home and halls among the drills.

For ancient game and elvish toon
There many a gleaming victory boon
I shaped and wrought, and light caught
To hide machine under hilt of Ikea!

On silver solder, I have strung
The mental stars, on fumes they hung
A dragon I see on twisted wire
Next to the light of moon and sun

Mice and key carved there by me
And heaps of coin, where no man delve
There lay it long, costing a song
Was sung unheard by this old gamer so long!

*my precious*

I just saw this and it is pure win!

Well played, good sir.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 16:26 sauron

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 11:59:
Germany fails to advance out of the group stage in the World Cup. Wow. Finishing last in the group no less.

Should have taken a leaf out of the Mordor team playbook at the last Middle Earth World Cup:

Minefields in the penalty area.
Use of volcanic stone and mortar to build an immense wall around the goal.
Using Cave Trolls on defense.
Using Cave Trolls on offense.
Assassination of opposing team before or during the game.
Bribing the ref.
Assassination of the ref.
Corruption of VAR to show goals that never actually happened.
Substitution of a team player for an Uruk-Hai horde mounted on Fell Beasts.
Eating the opposition/ref/crowd/hosting nation.

These tactics, while in a legally somewhat grey area, usually slightly predispose toward a win, unless we are playing Brazil.

And if anyone complains, we just kill them.

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 16:17 sauron

Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:38:
Revised system build.

New: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - Rated the top mobo by several sites
New: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - Rated the top SSD by several places
Keeping: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor - I don't plan on overclocking

I looked at several benchmarks for the 1080ti, and by all accounts they are impressive. Even more impressive is the 1080ti performs on-par or better in specific tests against the double-priced Titan X. The build above will give me at least 60 FPS with maxed settings in 4K. I am anticipating prices to drop over the next 12 months. My hope is the Volta-series 2080ti releasing some time this year will result in the 1080ti falling into the $400-$500 range, and push the build back on-par with my budget expectation of ~$1,500. I welcome your feedback and thoughts.

My thoughts:

The Uruk-Hai will be over to your place shortly to confiscate your system, which is clearly illegal in that it kicks the ass of all of our machines here at Barad-Dur. Especially the HD, mobo and CPU, not to mention the delicious GPU *commence ethereal drooling*.

In recognition of your donation to the cause of Mordor, it is likely that you may not be disemboweled (*this promise is not legally binding*).

If we are especially pleased, you may also receive a free hobbit (*or not, depending on supply, and upon number of hungry hench-creatures*).

Thank you and have a nice day.

Kittens!

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 17
10. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 16:11 sauron

*Twitches and prevents self from re-installing GW2, FFXI, FFXIV, and especially LOTRO*.

Those things are crack, man, even if you're the Dark Lord.

Kittens!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2018, 16:45 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2018, 14:08:
sauron wrote on Jun 24, 2018, 10:48:
Knowing my Knicks he will have plenty of time to play Fortnite every April when the playoffs roll around.

PTA auction:

1st prize: Tickets to a Knicks game.
2nd prize: Tickets to 2 Knicks games.
Booby prize: Season tickets.

Yes, I am also a Knicks fan. And yes, they really are that bad.
Don't you evil sorcerers have dark magicks that can clone Patrick Ewing and keep him forever young?

Tried it. Turns out the clones can't jump, or shoot. Stupid necromancy....

Plus, I suspect the Knicks already tried this route. I mean, isn't Dolan a well-recognized lich?

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2018, 10:48 sauron

Knowing my Knicks he will have plenty of time to play Fortnite every April when the playoffs roll around.

PTA auction:

1st prize: Tickets to a Knicks game.
2nd prize: Tickets to 2 Knicks games.
Booby prize: Season tickets.

Yes, I am also a Knicks fan. And yes, they really are that bad.

Kittens!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2018, 21:10 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 19:32:
sauron wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 17:30:
Thanks! Looks pretty great.
I bet you're a cruel taskmaster and make the hobbits run nvidia while you use amd gpu's.

Almost true. In fact, the orcs have to run NVidia, while I use AMD. The goblins take food and drink orders, and the hobbits have trays strapped to their heads and are used as mobile tables.

The hobbits get a day off every other month, during which they are allowed to debug all the messed up Ubisoft games on the various systems. I know, that last part is particularly cruel.

Kittens!

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Plans?
11. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Plans? Jun 22, 2018, 17:33 sauron

Good grief yes please! If they did GTAV PC (which sold a ton), they have to be doing RDR2 PC. No reason not to.  

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2018, 17:30 sauron

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 11:12:
Seriously consider the Quake HD Remix by Nick Wride.
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/12/17/played_quake_lately/1

EDIT
How sad is this?
https://quakehdremix.blogspot.com
/snip
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR NVIDIA GPU OWNERS:
An important message for owners of Nvidia GPUs. The last few sets of Nvidia Display drivers have broken the engine's graphics when shadow mapping is enabled (soft shadows) causing black square glitches to appear all over the screen. Shadow mapping has to be disabled to remove these glitches, however, it makes the game even more taxing as shadow mapping made the game run faster, but Nvidia doesn't seem to care and have not addressed this issue in any subsequent driver updates. It's highly likely that a fix may never arise. ... Quake HD Remix has become unplayable for me.
/snip

Thanks! Looks pretty great.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Intergalactic Summer Sale
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 17:14 sauron

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 06:10:
sauron wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 17:39:
On the brighter side, I picked up Ni No Kuni II and FFXV for about half price, so in my eyes it's a net win.

Those are the only two I bought for the sale, and a Steam Link for $10 shipped. Pretty happy with the price I paid for everything included, and it means I wont have to cart my main PC down to the television to play them on the big screen! Hopefully the steam link doesnt suck, I've heard mixed things, but for $10 it's worth a toss of the dice.

I have one but don't use it often. Back in the day it would sometimes turn on spontaneously at night and that would turn on my TV. But I heard they fixed that issue with a firmware update, so you should be fine.

Oh, since you seem to enjoy JRPGs like I do, I also found an advance copy of Ys VIII for Switch today at J&L Game in Manhattan. Apparently they sometimes get copies a few days early. The reviews are really good, and it's already out for PC.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/ys_viii_lacrimosa_of_dana

Kittens!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2018, 17:47 sauron

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 14:57:
Open question:

I'm looking for an example of a movie in which the hero was getting his ass kicked, realized he needed to change his strategy, and did so and won.

There are a few billion of these, but I can't think of any. The better known it is, the better. In case anyone has one off the top of their head.

Also, sadly, The Lord of the Rings. I am never gonna live that down.

Although I guess they didn't alter the strategy, they just had an alternative (send it to Gondor, have the elves use it) that were downvoted, or the proposers of those options were murdered.

Kittens!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2018, 17:46 sauron

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 15:27:
Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 14:57:
Open question:

I'm looking for an example of a movie in which the hero was getting his ass kicked, realized he needed to change his strategy, and did so and won.

There are a few billion of these, but I can't think of any. The better known it is, the better. In case anyone has one off the top of their head.

Kickboxer! Blood Sport! Any Jean Claude van Damme movie!

Solomon Kane?

Kittens!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2018, 17:44 sauron

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 15:26:
sauron wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 13:20:
Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 13:16:
Hmm, Steam seems to have fallen over dead

It sure has.

FFXV for 50% discount - I am all over that (as soon as their server stops being murdered).

Boyband Roadtrip Simulator for the win!

You know it, baby! Although not for me - perish the thought *nervous cough*. The goblins seem to be very into the Jpop/Kpop thing, I have nothing to do with it *rolleyes*.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Intergalactic Summer Sale
5. Re: Steam Intergalactic Summer Sale Jun 21, 2018, 17:39 sauron

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 16:36:
Also, Dishonored 2 was $13.50 last week, and is $19.99 now. Really thought it'd go $9.99.

Somehow Far Cry Primal is still $20. Ubisoft is ludicrous.

Additionally, Ubisoft QC and post-sales support is rubbish. I spent 12 hours over 3 nights this week trying to get The Division to run on my main gaming system - it used to be fine but after the latest update now runs as a process in the background, not an App in the foreground. As a measure of my frustration, I have sent the orcs over to the Ubi office with a trebuchet and some exploding hobbit ammo (don't ask, involves beans and habaneros).

On the brighter side, I picked up Ni No Kuni II and FFXV for about half price, so in my eyes it's a net win.

Kittens!

1953 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo