Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pike

Real Name Pike   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 15, 2000, 17:11
Total Comments 21 (Suspect)
User ID 8299

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Two Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Packs
12. Re: Two Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Packs Sep 28, 2011, 19:32 Pike

I received the Explosive Mission Pack with my preorder.

You get given the bonus mission on the second visit to Hengsha, the grenade launcher is the reward for completing the mission. The remote explosive device and the unlocking device are found in your apartment and you can buy more from vendors. The mission itself is fairly short, it consists of about four rooms and some sewer tunnels, personally I wouldn't bother buying it separately.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Courting Minecraft Developer?
16. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 17:39 Pike

Dev wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:31:
If something like that was on thier frontpage, I think they'd get more people trying it out. Perhaps a video with some of the baddies too.
Definitely. However even with no marketing the game has sold 90,000 copies which is pretty amazing for a single-developer indie game:

http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp

sir wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 17:14:
There are different versions to try - the survival version has the nasty critters - http://www.minecraft.net/survivaltest/
Just in case anyone misunderstands, that's a much older version of the game that's missing a lot of the best features of the paid version.

9. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 16:00 Pike

It's a sandbox building/exploring/survival game, you get dumped into a randomly generated infinite* world and have to mine resources and use them to craft tools and create buildings while trying to avoid being killed by the nasties that come out at night. This video gives a decent introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg

Eventually you end up building giant castles, Moria-style mines or anything else you like.

* Until your PC runs out of HDD space anyway.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2010, 16:06.

4. Re: Valve Courting Minecraft Developer? Aug 30, 2010, 15:32 Pike

Sty wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 13:56:
Kudos to the team. Hope it works out well for them.
FWIW it's made by a single developer (except the music) and yeah it's an amazing game and scarily addictive.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Firefox 4 beta Jul 15, 2010, 12:41 Pike

Anyone having a lot of crashes with Firefox 4 Beta 1 might want to check they don't have "Internet Download Manager" installed, apparently it's causing a lot of problems:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=578443

News Comments > Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s)
15. Re: Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s) Apr 8, 2010, 16:38 Pike

entr0py wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 14:37:
If only this didn't star young Frankenstein doctor, I'd be looking forward to it.
Matt Smith was amazing in The Eleventh Hour, I'm a fan of Tennant but Smith is better IMHO.

News Comments > Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s)
7. Re: Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s) Apr 8, 2010, 11:44 Pike

Bill Borre wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 10:32:
That surprises me. The reason I've heard for years about the lack of a Dr. Who game was that the BBC wanted a huge licensing fee.
It looks like the BBC are publishing the games themselves, so I guess that's a non-issue here.

News Comments > Metaverse
4. Re: Quake 2 on web browser Apr 2, 2010, 16:47 Pike

One reason for all secure sites to come up with a certificate error is that some part of your connection has been compromised. Of course it's far, far more likely that your Firefox install is screwed up but you never know, I wouldn't recommend using any important secure sites until you get the problem sorted though.  

News Comments > Lord of the Rings Online Patched
2. Re: Lord of the Rings Online Patched Mar 2, 2010, 05:14 Pike

I saw a news story last year about how they were planning to make all of the Volume I book quests soloable, does anyone know if they've done that yet?  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 7, 2010, 16:48 Pike

BobBob wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 15:57:
Is this game any good at all?

The space combat is fun but there are so many problems with the rest of the game that it's hard to recommend it.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 16:49.

News Comments > Red Faction: Guerilla Patched
5. Re: Red Faction: Guerilla Patched Dec 22, 2009, 19:51 Pike

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix the game running 33% faster than it should in Windows 7 (though it seems not everyone on Win7 has that issue).  

News Comments > DDO Cashes in on Free Play
17. Re: DDO Cashes in on Free Play Oct 14, 2009, 19:40 Pike

@Narf2009

I don't know the odds of the level cap items dropping, all I can tell you is that I got the one that upped my level cap from 4 to 8 while I was still level 3. They can also be bought in the in-game store for 50 points, by the time I'd hit level 4 I'd earned 125 points just through completing quests. I presume they get rarer at higher levels but they certainly aren't a barrier to playing for free.

News Comments > DDO Cashes in on Free Play
13. Re: DDO Cashes in on Free Play Oct 14, 2009, 17:36 Pike

> Pay for levels, pay to unlock powers, pay to unlock feats, pay to unlock classes, pay to get access to dungeons

I've been playing on and off since it went free and as far as I'm aware the only one of those that requires payment is extra dungeons (about a third of them are free). Level cap increases and classes can be bought but they can also be earned by playing the game.

Personally I hope all MMOs adopt this model, the hardcore can continue to subscribe at the usual cost, more casual and/or pennypinching players such as myself can just spend the odd bit here and there (I haven't spent a single penny yet but if I continue to play I'm sure I'll end up buying something), and everyone else gets to demo the game for as long as they like. Assuming the developers still turn a profit, it's win/win.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 18:04.

News Comments > Blood Bowl Patch
4. Re: Blood Bowl Patch Jul 22, 2009, 18:16 Pike

For anyone who wants to play some online Blood Bowl there's a free online league that uses a 2D Java client here:

http://fumbbl.com/

As for the Cyanide game I'm waiting for the retail release. Hopefully by then they'll have fixed the bugs and brought the price down to a sensible level (I don't know about other currencies but the UK price is currently 60% above the usual price for new games).

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2009, 18:17.

News Comments > Amazon.com Day-of Game Deliveries
15. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 12:16 Pike

I guess us Europeans can go fuck ourselves

FWIW whenever I've pre-ordered games from Amazon UK I've always gotten then on the day of release or occasionally one day before the official release, for no extra fee.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 12:19.

News Comments > Grimm Downloads Live
8. Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 14:41 Pike

In case anyone else had the problem I mentioned before, the game installs to Program Files then tries to write files there which doesn't work unless you're admin, I changed the game's file permissions to work around it.

News Comments > Grimm Downloads Live
5. No subject Jul 31, 2008, 12:47 Pike

Are you supposed to be able to play scenes 2-6 now (in the standalone version)? Every time I get to the end of the first scene it doesn't go to the next one...

News Comments > Metaverse
10. Re: tab extensions Jun 18, 2008, 08:02 Pike

There's a Fx3-compatible TMP dev-build here:

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7031

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Unveiled
5. No subject Jun 9, 2008, 17:08 Pike

NWN2 OC was sort of so-so but MotB was awesome, Obsidian were definitely channelling PS:T when they wrote that. Hopefully they can channel BG1/2 while making this.

News Comments > New Mount & Blade
9. Re: Beta? May 19, 2008, 17:00 Pike

Just to make it clear, you're not paying for beta, you're buying the final version in advance and getting full access to the beta as part of that and a) getting the game cheaper, b) getting to play (the beta) earlier, and c) helping fund development.

21 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo