Descending
Limit Results:

24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Aging Nuclear Plants...
Feb 8, 2003, 00:25
Re: Aging Nuclear Plants... Feb 8, 2003, 00:25
Feb 8, 2003, 00:25

If something should happen I imagine I will quickly take on the form/shape of a cinder.

This is a very common opinion, from what I've seen, but an incorrect one. Many people seem to assume that if a nuclear power plant had a failure, it would be equivalent to a hydrogen bomb and destroy the surrounding area instantly.

The way a core meltdown really works is exactly like the name suggests -- the nuclear core's restraints fail, and it is so hot that it instantly melts through its container and down into the surface of the earth, simultaneously vaporizing the water near it. The now-radioactive steam comes up through the surface of the earth and saturates the surrounding area with more radiation. If it does kill you right away, it'll be a slow, agonizing death; if it doesn't, you'll probably develop all kinds of painful cancers that will kill you in a few years.

That's not to say that I'm against nuclear power plants, I just think they should be built away from civilized areas and with uncountable levels of redundancy. ;-)

Re: SB Audigy
Aug 23, 2002, 10:43
Re: SB Audigy Aug 23, 2002, 10:43
Aug 23, 2002, 10:43

I'd recommend a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz ( http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/producthome.asp ). I used to have a SBLive!, and it caused me all kinds of problems, from driver troubles to causing my computer to randomly reboot. I haven't had a single problem with the Santa Cruz, and I think its feature set is also much nicer than the SBLive!'s.

Re: Fair warning...
Jul 23, 2002, 11:21
Re: Fair warning... Jul 23, 2002, 11:21
Jul 23, 2002, 11:21

Yeah, one of my complaints with the PC port of the game (and it looks like it'll stay the same for the upcoming Xbox and Gamecube versions) is that the control scheme is essentially still designed for the Dreamcast controller. I've got a Sidewinder gamepad that it worked fine with, but it still felt a bit awkward walking around with a digital pad rather than an analog one.

One of the most popular complaints about PSO's controls is that you're limited to six quick-access buttons; this doesn't seem bad when you're early on in the game, but after you get a better variety of weapons and spells, it's uncomfortably cramped. This is understandable for the Dreamcast, but they really should've changed it.

I do agree, though, that I wish they'd hurry up and make a sequel rather than just doing more work on the original game.

Fair warning...
Jul 23, 2002, 02:53
Fair warning... Jul 23, 2002, 02:53
Jul 23, 2002, 02:53

This game is the console equivalent of EverCrack, and I've logged several hundred hours on the Dreamcast version.

Anyway, this demo is definitely much better than the first... (not that it'd be hard) I just finished playing through the offline mode, and it seems as though it lets you create a character of any class you want and play through the forest area. It seems to be a direct port of the DC version 2, and doesn't even include any graphical tweaks... The graphics are fairly good as they are, but being a few years old, they're showing their age, and it only lets you play at 640x480. This demo also seems to include everything the old one left out (music, the ability to change equipment/use items/take damage, etc.)

Might've been just me, but it seemed a bit easier than the actual game... I picked a HUnewearl (personal favorite class) and played right through the forest. Only tech I picked up along the way was Foie Lv. 1, and after I beat the dragon I was at level 4 with one monomate left.

Re: Yet again...
Jun 27, 2002, 11:50
Re: Yet again... Jun 27, 2002, 11:50
Jun 27, 2002, 11:50

The Pledge of Allegiance goes as follows:

"I pledge allegiance,
to the flag, of the United States of America,
and to the republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all."

And it depends on where you live at, but at least here in the southern US, I was forced to say it every day in elementary school, quite frequently during middle school, and I didn't have to at all in high school.

Personally, I'm all for this ruling. I've never been comfortable with the "under God," part, and let's be reasonable; sure, you can choose not to say it if you don't want to. Except at best you'll get detention for not doing what the teacher tells you to, and at worst, you'll get the crap beat out of you after school by a bunch of "God-fearing" kids who wanna "beat some sense into that damn atheist."

Sure, you could say that the "under God" part isn't respecting any single religion, but let's be realistic; if we replaced that with "under Allah," would you be comfortable with it? But it's the same thing, infidel! Not to mention that it's respecting monotheist religions in general -- if you believe in multiple gods or none at all, you're out of luck.

Besides, the "under God" part wasn't added until 1947 or so, anyway. I think the original was just fine.

(sorry for the redundacy there, turns out that a few other people posted while I was typing ;-)

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 11:52.

Too bad..
Mar 13, 2002, 00:41
Too bad.. Mar 13, 2002, 00:41
Mar 13, 2002, 00:41

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Grandia II won't go over well on the PC. Console-style RPGs have traditionally never done well on PC, and Grandia II is the epitome of all that is console-ness; it has a strong, linear story, and a predefined set of characters that you control. The PC Gamer I got in the mail today gave it a 54%, and that's higher than I figured they'd give it.

To anybody who might be considering playing GII: give a chance, but be forewarned that you're in for one of the most linear games you've ever played, and most of the voice acting is simply "eh". On the other hand, the battle system is seriously one of the most fun I've seen in a long time, especially after you start getting some of the more interesting spells and items.

Re: confused
Feb 13, 2002, 17:09
Re: confused Feb 13, 2002, 17:09
Feb 13, 2002, 17:09

In my experience, Real formats support lower quality compared to filesize than all of their competitors, are more vulnerable to corruption, and, worst of all, can only be played in RealPlayer, which, IMO, is slow, bloated, and ugly. I've got several Real movies that actually cause the player to *crash* at certain points -- it's absolutely inexcusable that the company's own format could cause their player to crash.

Not to mention, of course, how installing RealSomething invariably attemps to usurp many of my file associations and place various things in my startup group.

At least, that's why *I* don't like Real's software. BTW -- what do you mean by "ms and apple are good at that too"? As far as I can tell, neither Windows Media Player nor Apple's Quicktime have ads built into them. (Mind you, I'm not standing up for MS or Apple's software, but you should at least get your facts right)

Re: No subject
Jan 22, 2002, 20:09
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2002, 20:09
Jan 22, 2002, 20:09

Although VIA chipsets certainly aren't perfect, don't act like the blame is theirs alone; the Creative Labs Live! and Audigy cards fail to conform to the PCI 2.1 spec, and litters noise on the PCI bus that results in data corruption. In addition to that, are backed by horrible customer service and drivers -- their support "FAQ" sounds like marketing BS directed towards people who just bought their first computer.

As for the matter of the card sounded better under Linux, I think that CL should be ashamedof that; the Linux drivers weren't produced in-house by Creative, after all.

Re: No subject
Jan 22, 2002, 12:55
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2002, 12:55
Jan 22, 2002, 12:55

Well, I have a friend that wholeheartedly recommends a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/site/products/santacru/ ) to me. I'm planning to ditch my horrid SBLive! sometime soon and try the Santa Cruz out; it can't possibly be any worse, at least.

Well...
Jan 11, 2002, 15:50
Well... Jan 11, 2002, 15:50
Jan 11, 2002, 15:50

It's good to see they learned their lesson. It's not like the death of UO2 drove anybody away from the game, particularly ones who were only still playing it so they could get in the beta early.

Well, Linux has its uses...
Dec 21, 2001, 15:28
Well, Linux has its uses... Dec 21, 2001, 15:28
Dec 21, 2001, 15:28

I love Linux. I run a web/ftp/SSH/what-have-you server with it, and I also have a Linux box that function as a router for my house.

With that said, I don't think Linux is nearly as good a desktop operating system as Windows. Software-wise, it's lacking in games, office suites, and professional tools. Hardware-wise, while it supports quite a lot, it doesn't support as much as Windows. For example -- try finding drivers for parallel port scanners. I've never seen any manufacturer drivers -- I know of a page that has reverse-engineered drivers that work with some scanners, but not perfectly, and not with mine. Try finding a high-quality button configuration editor for any gamepad or joystick. Or a capable DVD-playing program. USB support is still flakey -- sure, you can get it to work perfectly with days upon days of tweaking, but in Windows I can plug a USB device in and it works right away.

Also try finding a desktop GUI that is robust, fast, and pretty. KDE and Gnome both fit the first criteria -- but, at least IMO, Gnome fails the second and KDE fails the third. I wouldn't mind KDE being pretty if the designers actually studied interface design (well, they may have, but it doesn't show). For example, in Windows, if I snap my mouse to the lower-left and press a button, it opens the start menu. To the upper-right closes a window. Upper-left brings a menu of other window options. Lower-right goes to the systray. In KDE, however, after doing any of those things, you have to adjust your mouse away from the edge by a few pixels in order to actually hit the button -- that's a serious flaw, and costs me a lot of time in the long run.

But, anyways... This ended up taking longer than I intended, and this is hardly the place for an OS debate, so I'll stop. But for now, my personal computer is still running XP. ;-p

Re: Ninjas o' plenty...
Dec 19, 2001, 18:43
Re: Ninjas o' plenty... Dec 19, 2001, 18:43
Dec 19, 2001, 18:43

#3:

What exactly is wrong with it? I mean, aside from the fact that that's probably a ninjatou rather than a katana, as katana are a bit long and heavy to be stealthy with.

Granted, that's never stopped designers from giving ninja katana in video games...

(Edit: thought I should mention who I'm replying to :-p)

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 18:44.

Re: WTF?
Dec 18, 2001, 21:13
Re: WTF? Dec 18, 2001, 21:13
Dec 18, 2001, 21:13

and worst of all, console interface

That might just be because it's a port of a console game... ;-p (I didn't have any problems with the controls, but then, I also have a gamepad)

Why are game companies so eager to pour money into this kind of shite?

As you appear to have noticed yourself, this is hardly representative of the actual game. I wouldn't expect anybody to invest any money in this "demo" -- but I believe they're going to be selling a complete game.

I'm a bit unimpressed..
Dec 18, 2001, 20:04
I'm a bit unimpressed.. Dec 18, 2001, 20:04
Dec 18, 2001, 20:04

I'm a fan of the game on my DC, but still, this is a rather unimpressive "trial." You get to play as a male hunter with all the default characteristics and you're in the very available area. There's no sound, and no menu options other than to quit the game. Enemies can't hit you, which is probably a good thing, because you don't get experience points, plus neither enemies nor boxes drop items (one wonders why they start you with four monomates, then..). On top of that, when I minimized the game with alt+esc to look at some other stuff, it crashed.

Mind you, it could be great once they actually put all the features of the full game into it... It'd be nice if the trial let you play around in one of the prettier areas, too, like Caves 2. It'd also be nice if there was an option to adjust the resolution, as I'd prefer to bump it up to 1024x768 or so.. (on the upside, the game does let you pick what fonts you want to use when you start!)

(delete me!)
Dec 18, 2001, 20:01
(delete me!) Dec 18, 2001, 20:01
Dec 18, 2001, 20:01

(Sorry, accidentally hit post before I had typed much)

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 20:05.

Opera?
Dec 7, 2001, 15:55
Opera? Dec 7, 2001, 15:55
Dec 7, 2001, 15:55

I'm using Opera 6, and the page currently displays fine... The banner ads cover up some of the text on the left while the page is loading, but when it's done loading, they snap in to place. On the other hand, I DO remember seeing an ad about a week ago that caused Opera to lock up whenever it scrolled over it -- simple as that. I haven't seen that ad in a while, though, and I forget what it was for...

My, my...
Nov 27, 2001, 19:52
My, my... Nov 27, 2001, 19:52
Nov 27, 2001, 19:52

A lot of people are getting awfully worked up about this. I mean, they could've just shut down 3dfx.com and said "Nyah, sucks to be you!"

I, on the other hand, think this is pretty darn cool. I was thinking about getting a GeForce3 Ti500 this Christmas anyways, and the cheapest one listed on pricewatch.com is by PNY. I have an old 4 MB Voodoo that I'd love to get a quick $30 for -- I wouldn't mind getting $30 for a Voodoo Banshee I have, either, but it looks like they'll only let me send in one card.

Re: "...the only option I had..."
Sep 20, 2001, 18:46
Re: "...the only option I had..." Sep 20, 2001, 18:46
Sep 20, 2001, 18:46

P.S. How did this woman even figure out how to reproduce?

Oh, I doubt that was a problem at all for her, if she believes in "do it and worry about the money later." ;-)

Re: Mozilla
Sep 19, 2001, 15:09
Re: Mozilla Sep 19, 2001, 15:09
Sep 19, 2001, 15:09

Not exactly original though, plenty of browsers have been doing that for ages. And if you're an IE user and want it, theres a few programs out there that stop popups.

Um... Which browsers can do that? There's an option in Opera to stop *all* popups -- but there are many pages that use popups as part of their navigation scheme. If you have that option in Opera enabled and click on a link that would normally pop up a window, nothing happens. And while you can completely disable javascript in most browsers, that cripples a *lot* of sites.

While it's true that you can find programs that stop popups, I don't want to be bothered with downloading and running more programs than I have to, so I appreciate such a feature being incorporated directly into the browser. Such programs are also typically geared towards Internet Explorer, which I only use when testing pages for compatibility.

Re: Mozilla
Sep 19, 2001, 10:39
Re: Mozilla Sep 19, 2001, 10:39
Sep 19, 2001, 10:39

Aaah, and you know what the best feature of Mozilla 0.9.4+ is? Add "user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);" (without quotes) to your prefs.js file, and it prevents popups from loading when you're opening or leaving a page -- but they still open if you click on a link. Hands down, most useful feature I've seen in a browser in *years*.

24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older