Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for El Pit

Real Name El Pit   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 29, 2000, 06:19
Total Comments 2635 (Senior)
User ID 7953

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Gifting Changes
15. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 14:46 El Pit

Both are luxury goods sold all over the world. The one at ridiculously low prices in "poorer" nations, the other one not. One world - one market - one price. At least for corporations...

And why again would be the highest price right now the world wide price again? Because of profit maximization? Or because spin doctors want to make people afraid to ask for "One prize is good enough for all of us on this planet"?

I love the idea that human rights should be basic rights for all people in every nation. Isn't it funny that these rights somehow stop when it comes to economy?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 14:30 El Pit

SimplyMonk wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:39:
Yeah. Buying 100% verified US made products is your best bet then, but like I said though, I don't think game developers exploit impoverished regions enough to use that as justification to pirate or circumvent regional pricing.

They are perfectly fine exploiting US programmers and IT staff with obscene overtime, screwing them out of royalties and code-and-release hiring practices so if you want to use that as justification, go ahead.

Just don't cost the poor people of Moldova their copy of Mass Effect: Andromeda in the process... although maybe that would be for the best all things considered.

Oh, come on. How about buying a Porsche in Moldovia? Are they selling it at roughly 20% the US price? No? But another luxury good like a game is sold at that price. Why? Because... REASONS.

No spin doctoring can justify regional pricing for games. Either this world IS one market for EVERYBODY, or we go back to regional markets with regional PRODUCTS, not just prices. Right now it is one market for big corps, not for the people. We the people? My ass!

11. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 13:35 El Pit

SimplyMonk wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:24:
So... large corporations exploit impoverished regions to the detriment of their society so I should too? That's kinda fucked up logic.

Fucked up logic would be buying the cheaply produced product at high prices to support what those large corporations are doing! This would actually be a confirmation and support of this approach to profit maximization.

8. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 12:53 El Pit

SimplyMonk wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:45:
El Pit wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:19:
Regional pricing - maximize profits? ;)

Well, yeah. Obviously it is done to maximize profits but regional pricing is the only way certain regions would have a chance to play these games. You aren't going to sell a game at a $60 price point in a region where average household take home is $200/month.

I respect this as much as they should respect that the world is more or less one market now where people go for the cheapest price just like the companies go for the cheapest production prices. But somehow they take this right away from people while companies are still allowed to outsource work to the cheapest place on earth if possible.

6. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 12:19 El Pit

Rhett wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:15:
Buying games from other countries' markets has been a pretty big problem for publishers I guess.

Different prices for the same product in different countries MIGHT have something to do with it. Regional pricing - maximize profits?

4. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 12:13 El Pit

OldDirtyEwok wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:05:
Did Valve stop making games? i'm still waiting on Half-Life 3 and Team Fortress 3

Games? HATS for games! HATS is the new games!!!! Somebody should burglarize and nail all desks to the floor under a sign reading "Half-Life 3"! The very next day all people at Valve would just quit, I guess.

2. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 11:59 El Pit

So, no more buying games at sale to gift them later to someone if you have not decided yet to whom and when to gift? Thank you, Steam. I have bought some games as gifts on sale and had them in my inventory to gift them later. Nope. No more. Alright, your loss, Steam. And a win for Amazon and bricks & mortar business: buy now, deliver to whoever whenever you want!  

News Comments > Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo
17. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 12:30 El Pit

For some here on Blue's News the demo they like is the complete game for free. I mean there could be a bug in the final battle so they must be allowed to play through just to check it out, right?  

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Tease
8. Re: Far Cry 3 Tease May 3, 2017, 12:28 El Pit

Pardon my French, but vaut le fuq would we do with a remaster? FarCry 3 still looks awesome with all bells and whistles turned on. Maybe it is FarCry 3: Unfinished Business? We get back to the island and this time will actually be the bad guy for a change?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Colonel Bruce Hampton May 2, 2017, 10:15 El Pit

This is the way to go: while doing what you loved most in your life. The only horrible thing was the poor kid playing the guitar with Hampton lying at his feet. In the beginning everybody thought he would listen to the kid playing with his ear close to the stage speaker, but the poor man was passing that very moment. Must have been a terrible shock for the kid.  

News Comments > Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve
1. Re: Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve May 2, 2017, 10:11 El Pit

Chet Faliszek also said with the cameras turned off: "I gave them all the hats I had to give. There are no more hats left in me. When I had to choose between working on an actual new game and retirement with a few millions in my pocket, I knew that my time in the virtual hat making industry had to come to an end."

Valve - providing virutal hats for more than a decade now and still being proud of it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2017, 15:26 El Pit

$250 billion is enough to buy Guyana and let the Applites work on stoney fields to establish a new paradise on earth.  

News Comments > X-Wing XWVM Mod Video
6. Re: X-Wing XWVM Mod Video May 1, 2017, 11:51 El Pit

MDB wrote on May 1, 2017, 11:20:
Looking forward to this!

I always played these with a friend -- one of us would pilot and the other, who would be designated "R2", would manage the shields and throttle. Fun times.

Funny, but so did we a few decades ago! X-Wing was manageable alone, though, but TIE Fighter really needed me to pilot and shoot shit down and my buddy to find the right targets, take care of the energy management, and reading the new goals during the mission.

News Comments > X-Wing XWVM Mod Video
1. Re: X-Wing XWVM Mod Video May 1, 2017, 09:57 El Pit

Dear XWVM, would you marry me?

No, really, this is impressive. I will definitely go back to X-Wing with this mod. Great work, guys! And now... TIE Fighter, please, after you have finished this mod. PLEASE!

From the mod website:
Perhaps, by the time we are done and happy with X-Wing, we will have a flight engine that will be so similar to that of TIE Fighter that a it will be just a natural step to support that game's content files. But this is still in the future.

YES!!!

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday
5. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday Apr 30, 2017, 17:17 El Pit

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 16:56:
Stay awhile and listen....

Say what you want I would like to see a complete remake of Diablo 1 and also Diablo 2 in the Diablo 3 engine. I still remember "Stay a while and listen" and this wonderful music in the background... Great gaming memory.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 30, 2017, 11:59 El Pit

Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2017, 16:33:
So the latest TES game will be announced.

And I haven't even finished Skyrim yet... I am playing Crysis 3 right now (nice ego shooter with pretty good graphics) and will play either Skyrim or Fallout 4 after it. Both will take up my gaming time for a few months I guess. If they announce another TES, I will play Skyrim first.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 30, 2017, 11:57 El Pit

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2017, 16:39:
It's a good idea to have your system tested by the best. Better Brits find the holes than the Chinese.

And that independent colony will finally come back and become part of the great UK again. After the Brexit they need this neat little colony called USA.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 29, 2017, 09:51 El Pit

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 20:35:
If the original writers didn't intend a KKK reference then a translator has no business putting it in. It is that simple.

Whitey Whiteman, the hired translator, still insists the KKK reference is NO typo!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2017, 16:24 El Pit

sauron wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 10:16:
Thanks for all the congrats on our martial endurance!

Heh heh, I think you probably meant 'marital', Blue.

Although all is fair in love and war, of course.

Same meaning, different words.

News Comments > Uncut Half-Life in Germany
19. Re: Uncut Half-Life in Germany Apr 28, 2017, 15:35 El Pit

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 14:11:
Unreal was all about the loading screen flyby.

True to some extent. Unreal had awesome graphics, but Half-Life had a good story and better gameplay.

2635 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo