User information for Daniel Fazekas

Real Name
Daniel Fazekas
Nickname
fds
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
I don't think anyone is going to read my user information page.
Homepage
Signed On
October 14, 2000
Supporter
-
Total Posts
104 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

104 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Nothing to do with Gamespy
Jan 17, 2003, 19:03
fds
Re: Nothing to do with Gamespy Jan 17, 2003, 19:03
Jan 17, 2003, 19:03
fds

gsi is no charity, they don't just do it for free.
see http://gamespy.net

Re: wow
Jan 17, 2003, 19:01
fds
Re: wow Jan 17, 2003, 19:01
Jan 17, 2003, 19:01
fds

just for your information, their supplied code can be fully compiled by typing:
cc bf1942dos.c

(doesn't require a brain surgeon, does it?)

nothing missing, no experience necessary.
a *nix machine is, though.

some tidbits
Jan 17, 2003, 18:54
fds
some tidbits Jan 17, 2003, 18:54
Jan 17, 2003, 18:54
fds

being the author of a server query utility myself, I can comment on a couple of things raised:

there's no difference in the protocol ASE or any other game server browser uses to query game servers which implement the gamespy query protocol. It's not about the query utility, it's all about the game server.

quake (quakeworld), quake2, q3, half-life and cs, return to castle wolfenstein and a lot of the games listed have absolutely nothing to do with the GameSpy query protocol.

it is correct that bf1942, ut, ut2003, mohaa, ccrenegade, nolf, avp2, opflashpoint, jb nightfire and coutless other games do implement the gamespy query protocol, which debuted in the original Unreal.

there's however nothing in the exploit (which is so blatantly trivial I'd hardly call this a surprising new discovery, it's just the way Internet fundamentals are flawed) which would make this "problem" (if you characterize it as such) exclusive to the games using the gamespy protocols.

except though that Battlefield 1942 is a perfect choice for doing such things because of its generally large player count. 64 player servers all full mean quite a lot of information returned on a player information query.

(also their proof-of-concept code only includes support for exploiting servers supporting the GameSpy query protocol.)

as for fixing it, about the only thing you could do for the server is to limit the rate at which any legit or illegit utility could get a reply on its status queries, which is what they will probably do. well, that, or completely disabling all outside server querying or making everything currently out there incompatible by implementing some kind of challange authentication before getting a reply.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 18:56.

Thanks ATI!
Oct 14, 2002, 20:52
fds
Thanks ATI! Oct 14, 2002, 20:52
Oct 14, 2002, 20:52
fds

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown.
Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure.

The display driver for RADEON 8500 seems to be responsible for the system instability.

Just great. Just when I upgraded to those latest beta drivers a few days ago to fix the exact same kind of system lockup happening in NOLF2. Which it did fix, but now that the exact same symptoms are happening in the new NFS, that's just sad.
And I was seriously considering getting a Radeon 9700 Pro.
Silly me will still get in anyway.. I must like the challenge of rebooting after half a lap in the race.

104 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older