Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for KilrathiAce

Real Name KilrathiAce   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KilrathiAce
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.eaglespeak.us/
Signed On Oct 12, 2000, 14:48
Total Comments 1739 (Pro)
User ID 7413

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
120. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 11:45 KilrathiAce

So it appears Valve is removing links to donate on skyrim workshop items, wonder if they gonna cross this practice to other games. If so, this is horrible. As for SKSE, they made a statement:

SKSE STATEMENT

I know few people with big mods on other games on workshop who have option for donation offsite, I learned that most likely if Valve becomes a**es and take the donation links or comments off the items they will take their mods to other sites like moddb.

MORE STATEMENTS FROM VARIOUS SKYRIM MODDERS THERE

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

101. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 00:08 KilrathiAce

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:26:
jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:06:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:40:
jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:21:
First off, Steam taking 75% is just insane, insulting, indefensible, and I'm sure a lot of other in- words.

It's a good thing they're not taking 75% then, huh?

Perhaps I should have worded it differently? How about "the content creator only getting 25% is just insane..."

You knew what I meant...

Well, no, that's a different statement entirely. We don't know how much Valve is getting, just that Bethesda chose to give the modder the standard rate (established previous to this whole thing) of 25%.

Here is what we do know:

Out of the 75% Valve receives the standard micro-transaction percentage and the rest goes to the game developers. So the question begs... how much % is the standard micro transaction that Valve gets?

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

91. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:22 KilrathiAce

Grokk wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:19:
A lot of people are going to get sued for a lot of bullshit over this.

Also, the 24hr refund policy doesn't actually work with the Australian law, so it should be interesting to see how that pans out over time.

On top of that, is a refund really a refund, or does it get converted into steam credit?

I'm sure there's a whole lot of legal jargon typed up somewhere that explains all of this and effectively allows Valve/Bethesda to avoid any kind of wrongdoing.

Could be an interesting few days, as the venting rage starts to dissipate and the really interesting thoughts/ideas around this begin to unfold and gain momentum.

Interesting ideas you mean like taking mods that are no longer supported by authors who maybe went to do other things in live and releasing those mods as yourelf claiming to be author and reapin the benefits? Ye, further mass dcma takedowns and considering in that case if anyone files a suit over copyrights since bethseda takes most of the revenue does that mean they can get sued for it?

88. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:17 KilrathiAce

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:19:
KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:45:
Yea, soon they may just release an engine and tools, then profit off the modders.

You mean like Skyrim?

Oh wait...

Actually most usefull modding stuff was made by modders such as SKSE which is used in a lot of skyrim mods. Authors always stated that they only allowed its use in freely available mods and not for profit(thats another matter and I hope the few folks from MIT who made SKSE get some good lawyers before planning their move now).

79. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:45 KilrathiAce

Yea, soon they may just release an engine and tools, then profit off the modders.  

65. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:40 KilrathiAce

Modders now are basically slaves for Bethesda as they only make less than 25%(taxes and fees) and rest mostly goes to Bethesda. So technically Bethesda now gonna make more money from modders than some DLC, since for DLC they have to pay their own employees/freelancers, QA it etc... but now they dont have to do anything lol.  

61. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:31 KilrathiAce

For anyone that is confused how much actual mod creator takes from sales and everyone else like valve or game maker:

The default Workshop contributor split is 25% (not including taxes). Valve receives the standard micro-transaction percentage and the rest goes to the game developers.

Enough f said.

30. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 15:54 KilrathiAce

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 15:28:
Perhaps a lot of you didn't catch the part where mod makers can put their mods up for FREE and you can choose to DONATE or not. Which is obviously what the majority of people will do. It's no different from when we used to have shareware. Donate or not, it's your choice. Jesus, calm down. I suspect a lot of people that want you to buy up front will quickly switch over to donations instead. Unless it's a seriously kickass mod, no one is going to pay for it.

Problem is, this is not even close to same as donation system, when you donate most of the money goes to the creator, for example if you donate over paypal small chunk about 10% may go to fees on paypal depending on paypal account type. But with this new valve system 75% of money goes to bethesda/valve and then on top of that there are fees for bank transfers and also taxes before rest of money goes to mod maker. So please don't even compare this to donate system.

Modders can actually already embedd donate via paypal on workshop items if they please.

29. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 15:50 KilrathiAce

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 15:15:
I hated steam workshop with a passion because of the retarded auto-update that ALWAYS fucking BROKE .. EVER SINGLE FUCKING GAME I STARTED MODDED IN CIV5

FUCK YOU VALVE indeed

ON a side note, new workshop system now is better more stable as it doesnt require steam cloud enabled to download and install mods but in general scheme of things this new opem market for mod seelling on workshop on skyrim is very bad indeed.

Also, dont forget moddb page, there are mods there too.

19. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 14:52 KilrathiAce

Supposedly the revenue sharing is in effect so:

EXAMPLE:

so lets say u manage to make $1000 on ur mod, $100 goes away to valve charges for transfering money and and setting up way to send money to ur bank etc fees etc then 75% of that goes to valve/bethesda and u get rest... so about what? 200$ thats assuming you dont use some service that does more fees, oh and then there are taxes especially if u are in usa....

Bethesda found a great way to make money on previously free mods.

15. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 14:33 KilrathiAce

This is a disgrace, some mods that only add water and rain effects stuff done for long time for free by many modders now charge $5 for an item ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/429374670 )^ I Strongly suggest you check out all the comments under that items today.... there been over 300 comments there in last hour by people brutally angry at this and its very negative reaction. I dont blame them.

BUT MY QUESTION IS:

Does this new "open market" for mod makers to sell their mods on skyrim workshop mean that Bethesda still gets revenue from each mod sale and if so how much is it? How much does the mod creator actually take from each sale % wise? I have been digging through all the pages and could not find any information, workshop about page does list that mod maker only get 25% revenue from each mod sale but thats possibly the "old" market system for workshop? ( http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850 )

Supposedly the revenue sharing is in effect so:

EXAMPLE:

so lets say u manage to make $1000 on ur mod, $100 goes away to valve charges for transfering money and and setting up way to send money to ur bank etc fees etc then 75% of that goes to valve/bethesda and u get rest... so about what? 200$ thats assuming you dont use some service that does more fees, oh and then there are taxes especially if u are in usa....

Bethesda found a great way to make money on previously free mods.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2015, 14:49.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
12. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 23, 2015, 00:26 KilrathiAce

Sad, that means no chance of them doing w40k in near future...snooze  

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Early Access
11. Re: Killing Floor 2 Early Access Apr 21, 2015, 19:34 KilrathiAce

OMFG YES YES  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Angels of Death Released
1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Angels of Death Released Apr 21, 2015, 19:32 KilrathiAce

another w40k shovelware  

News Comments > Amazon Crytek Deal?
7. Re: Amazon Crytek Deal? Apr 6, 2015, 22:29 KilrathiAce

Never gonna see a good innovative video game out of Crytek again, sad but at least they survive as a company  

News Comments > Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned
24. Re: Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned Apr 5, 2015, 06:23 KilrathiAce

I should try searching what I wrote about OnLive like what 2-3 years ago... lol  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
57. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 17:51 KilrathiAce

And still not willing to go after wing commander rights/franchise. Sad.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 17:32 KilrathiAce

Arma3 is great, as for gta5 lolz  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Follow-up
16. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Follow-up Mar 26, 2015, 16:54 KilrathiAce

They better do some follow ups with the game itself because problem is the game is not worth the money its pure junk, nevermind the drm.  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
57. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 26, 2015, 08:32 KilrathiAce

Ea doesnt need to use DRM for games like hardline though, the game itself is pathetic, its almost like the fact how bad the game is, it makes it its own unique DRM because you dont even wanna bother try and pirate or crack it.  

1739 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo