Descending
Limit Results:

19 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Which one is it?
Oct 27, 2002, 01:29
Re: Which one is it? Oct 27, 2002, 01:29
Oct 27, 2002, 01:29

>>"Of the two games out now for the LoTR... I think "The Two Towers" (console only, at this time) game looks much better. I almost wish I had an X-box to play it. "

Hmmm seeing how Two Towers is only available and/or developed for PS2 (and GBA), could it be you're talking out of your ass? Why yes! Yes it can!

Re: White people
Oct 23, 2002, 18:11
Re: White people Oct 23, 2002, 18:11
Oct 23, 2002, 18:11

Wait... you actually think just throwing some Random Nickname up instead of an "Anon@" identifier is suddenly not anonymous? I mean, if I come up to you, am I gonna find your driver's license to have your name listed as "Weas W. Weas" or some such?

No it's just as anonymous, and just as easy to hide behind.

(Oh, and I laughed at the huge wok comment. I'm sorry, but I love dark humor like that, sorry)

Re: Ok..
Sep 23, 2002, 17:14
Re: Ok.. Sep 23, 2002, 17:14
Sep 23, 2002, 17:14

>>"Actually, I was just referring to the various licenses (books vs. movies) and the various games that are being released. I know about the brouhaha with the license, but I gave up keeping track of the difference between one Tolkein game and another... "

Basically the way it works is, EA has the license for the games based on the movies. What this means is that if it's not in the movie, they can;t put it in a game. If a character, a setting, a creature type, whatever is not mentioned or shown in the movie, the game cannot have it either.

Vivendi/Universal (an by way of ownership, Sierra) have the main license, that of the books, and the intellectual property, which means that characters and the like from the stories (but missing from the movies) are still usable. Also the intellectual property license means that anything middle-earth related, whether from outside the scope of the troilogy, like The Hobbit or The Simarillion can also be use to flesh out the game world.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 19:30.

Re: No thank you
Sep 4, 2002, 21:57
Re: No thank you Sep 4, 2002, 21:57
Sep 4, 2002, 21:57

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/halo2trailermirrors.html

List of mirrors for the QuickTime version of the trailer, both the 27MB and 17MB versions of it.

Re: Why
Aug 9, 2002, 14:10
Re: Why Aug 9, 2002, 14:10
Aug 9, 2002, 14:10

>>>"Where would that be?"

Don't you know? All Dogs go to Heaven.

(with apologies to Burt Reynolds, although I'm not sure why...)

Re: As a Canucks
Jun 3, 2002, 18:40
Re: As a Canucks Jun 3, 2002, 18:40
Jun 3, 2002, 18:40

>>"Americans = stupid."

Anonymous posters = Wussies.

>>"So if the Canadian government was smart, they would just keep cutting back our military. Let the US pay for the defence of north america. "

Hey if you want to be the 51st State, go for it.

Re: No subject
Jun 3, 2002, 14:41
Re: No subject Jun 3, 2002, 14:41
Jun 3, 2002, 14:41

>>"I don't care how cool this game is or isn't. This is not a good use of my tax dollars. "

Neither is anonymous posting, but we all have our crosses to bear.

Re: big price tag?
Jun 3, 2002, 13:58
Re: big price tag? Jun 3, 2002, 13:58
Jun 3, 2002, 13:58

>>"I remember from reading PCGamer that the LT in charge of this project was quite 'surpised' by the looks of the developers..."

Heehee.. yeah I can imagine them walking around the Naval Campus, going up to MPs which guard the area they're in, and getting some looks... heheheh

Re: Punchie
May 24, 2002, 13:26
Re: Punchie May 24, 2002, 13:26
May 24, 2002, 13:26

>>>"Poor little guy can't get any satisfaction!!"

My favoirite part of Punchie was the end where he licks the face of Pikachu. It just proves that Punchie may be a machine, but at least he's tidy.

And does the soundtrack just make that film, or what?

Mac Payne?
May 2, 2002, 17:49
Mac Payne? May 2, 2002, 17:49
May 2, 2002, 17:49

Re: Small boxes
Mar 26, 2002, 19:49
Re: Small boxes Mar 26, 2002, 19:49
Mar 26, 2002, 19:49

The new boxes suck. I'm all for smaller packaging and everything but for dog's sake, why not package them in a way that we can all have a damn standard that makes sense storage-wise and have no waste?

Jesus I really wish PC game publishers in the US would figure it out and go with a DVD case. Europe already does, all of the consoles do, why the hell does the damn PC publishers have to go and make their own "special" packaging that is STILL wasteful and about a decade behind the times?

If EA REALLY wanted to move ahead and set a precedent they should have gone to DVD cases. Unfortunately, they would rather try to make things fit how they want to do it, rather than what actually makes sense.

Re: Two things
Mar 4, 2002, 13:48
Re: Two things Mar 4, 2002, 13:48
Mar 4, 2002, 13:48

>>>"1. Blue should go on the road as a comedian, I am sure of it!"

Oh crap. I've told you not to encourage him!

Re: errr
Feb 14, 2002, 18:11
Re: errr Feb 14, 2002, 18:11
Feb 14, 2002, 18:11

QUESTION NOT THE METHOD OF THE GEEK LOVE!

And hey, I mean, is it any more ridiculous than some jock taking his love to a baseball or basketball game and asking her by throwing a message up on the JumboTron?

Hell, everyone has their own way of going about popping the question... I say if it's comfortable to do so in whatever way, go for it. *shrug*

Re: Not the first
Feb 14, 2002, 14:44
Re: Not the first Feb 14, 2002, 14:44
Feb 14, 2002, 14:44

Heh True enough.

My question is, how could anyone agree to marry someone named after Mexican food?

Re: I stand corrected
Feb 13, 2002, 13:58
Re: I stand corrected Feb 13, 2002, 13:58
Feb 13, 2002, 13:58

>>"Leaving Max Payne out of this, I can see why ANY developer would be upset; though do the AIAS awards really have that much of an impact on a game's recognition and success?"

Think of it this way: how many times have we seen a movie get legs and run "THAT MUCH LONGER" because of the fact that they suddenly garner an Oscar award or nomination and are able to crow about it in their advertising? Being able to plaster that across an advert or a box cover is invaluable as far as marketing goes, especially to the consumers out there who are more inclined to follow the crowd and marketing rather than what they have an interest in.

I mean look at how much more you're seeing repackaged "Game of the Year" editions of games. A Publisher wouldn't waste money and time with new boxes and a new SKU unless it proved to be quite profitable to do so. So yeah, it really can make a difference, if only from a financial success point of view.

Re: Well yes, but...
Feb 12, 2002, 20:54
Re: Well yes, but... Feb 12, 2002, 20:54
Feb 12, 2002, 20:54

>>>"I'm not denying the fact that the AIAS nominations are a bit "skewed" if you will, but is there any proof? I only hear AVault complaining and a few members of 3D Realms. Are not other developers upset by this? Is there a membership cap that limits the ammount of members a company can have to represent them? That might be a better way to go about it. "

There are other developers who have a problem with it. Most of them refuse to be members of the AIAS for a variety of rasons as I understand it, and this purchased integrity problem being one of them. In the near future, as I understand it, a lot more press outlets will end up picking this up, if not online, certainly in print, I can almost assure you. I've seen a bit more on the subject behind the scenes from various people, and I think that there is more proof available, if those who have that in their posession were to choose to put it out in the public eye...

>>>"And if you're going to use the example of "two games of equal worth and ability", then you should name them. Max Payne is NOT a independently published game. You come off sounding sorry for poor old Max, as if the odds were against him. This game has received a TON of hype and advertising."

What example did I use? I presented a hypothetical situation that does have EVERY chance of happening if it hasn't already. Sorry that I don't have exact product names for you, but it's a) not worth the trouble when positing a hypothetical situation and b) kind of an impossibility as I don't know the membership that is of this organization, nor do I (or anyone outside of the AIAS inner sanctum, apparently) have access to the balloting.

And who said Max was an independently published game? Or how about this: instead of independedntly published, how about published by a company that has little or no affiliation with the AIAS? Oh wait, I already said "or published by a non-member"... that was just conveniently left out.

As for coming off as "poor Max", exactly what the hell are you on? I'm commenting on a news story. Just because you seem to be Anti-Max Payne for whatever reason, don't try and make me out to be pro-or-anti-anything. I mean, hell, I played a little of Max, I put it down, and had neither an overly positiv or negative feeling about it. Does that fact suddenly make one not able to make valid arguments about the overall system?

In fact, except for Scott Miller bringing it up as an initial example of what the AIAS system can cause to happen, you seem to be the only one with Max-related hangups...
This comment was edited on Feb 12, 21:20.

Well yes, but...
Feb 12, 2002, 17:20
Well yes, but... Feb 12, 2002, 17:20
Feb 12, 2002, 17:20

>>"AVault complains that some publishers could be padding the nomination list by paying the entry fees for their members, thus increasing the ammount of "potential votes." How's is this any different then a high profile "supervisor" (as is 3D Realms with Max Payne) attaching their name and their publisher spending countless dollars for advertising? "

The problem lies in the fact that you could have two games of equal worth and ability, but if one is independedntly published, or published by a non-member, and the other is published by a company with 1000 members in the AIAS. One gets nominated by 1000 votes, solely based on the fact that those people paid for the privelege of padding a ballot box. Period.

As for your seeing it's no different from 3DRealms having their name as a producer for Max Payne (or any other similar situation (say Mechwarrior 3 for example)... um... sorry but the two have nothing in common.

(Granted, the use of Max as an example of the inequities is a bit self-serving and biased, but it doesn't change the situation one way or another.)
This comment was edited on Feb 12, 17:23.

Re: Gay Blade
Sep 12, 2001, 20:34
Re: Gay Blade Sep 12, 2001, 20:34
Sep 12, 2001, 20:34

"Just Remember... there is no shame in being poor, only dressing poorly."

Man, I forgot what a great movie that was. Heh. I need to change my online persona to Bunny Wigglesworth.

Or maybe not.

Allies?
Jul 24, 2001, 17:31
Allies? Jul 24, 2001, 17:31
Jul 24, 2001, 17:31

Anyone wanna start an alliance group, and just see where we go with this (he asked while racing towards a deadline... heh)?

19 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older